• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 152
Posts: 152   Pages: 6   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 38193 times and has 151 replies Next Thread
barrelmonkey

Re: The Pick-Your-Puzzle Bake-Off - Three familiars on every ocean! Reply to this Post

Did the other winners get to choose their prize? How did that all work out?

Edit: To clarify, did the sleeping animal winners get to pick what sleeping animal they wanted? Also, why didn't anyone on carpentry get a sleeping animal? I'm just curious.

Also, fun event. I ended up getting completely owned on bilge (ended up with an excellent, >_<) because I started with 6 pieces, no jelly fish. My fault though, I should have spent more time raising my rank before-hand.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by barrelmonkey at Mar 17, 2008 10:26:47 PM]
[Mar 17, 2008 10:23:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexavis

Re: The Pick-Your-Puzzle Bake-Off - Three familiars on every ocean! Reply to this Post

Sleeping animals was one of the choices and you were allowed to pick which one. Being unfamiliar with the values, I just picked the cool little egg. :D
Dexavis
[Mar 17, 2008 10:42:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bia
OceanMaster

Second place could choose any sleeping animal, artifact, or either of the two prize eggs.

Third place could choose any artifact or egg.

Fourth through tenth had a choice of either egg.

I suppose the first place winners could have chosen any other prize besides the familiar, as well.
[Mar 18, 2008 12:51:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
omen963

Why arent you doing gunning bake-offs? i havent seen one of those done in over a year, When is the next one planned???
[Mar 18, 2008 2:26:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mouse2cat

Will this notice be under the "missions" or "voyages" tab in the game.
This will be my first bake off and I am pretty stoked!
Crabcake on Emerald and Obsidian
Current avatar by Kolibri
[Mar 18, 2008 3:06:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.skoonberg.com [Link]  Go to top 
Bia
OceanMaster

Will this notice be under the "missions" or "voyages" tab in the game.
This will be my first bake off and I am pretty stoked!

It will be under 'Events'.
[Mar 18, 2008 5:12:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jezzebel

Guy from Hunter wrote: 
Did the other winners get to choose their prize? How did that all work out?

Edit: To clarify, did the sleeping animal winners get to pick what sleeping animal they wanted? Also, why didn't anyone on carpentry get a sleeping animal? I'm just curious.

Also, fun event. I ended up getting completely owned on bilge (ended up with an excellent, >_<) because I started with 6 pieces, no jelly fish. My fault though, I should have spent more time raising my rank before-hand.

Or maybe you could just do your own bakeoff, on your own ocean.
Redjenny, Now merged with Health Nutz
Thebloggess wrote: 
A hug is like a strangle you haven't finished yet!

[Mar 18, 2008 7:31:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
barrelmonkey

It's generally been stated that bake-offs and familiar tournaments are supposed to have the best of the best in them, regardless of home ocean. It's about the competition, not the prize.
[Mar 18, 2008 10:15:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Roleni

Top three on carp and bilge were all from Cobalt. :)

Oh, and the rather large number of Hunter players chitchatting and/or trashtalking has likely incited a few Cobalt players to decide to pay a visit to Hunter tonight...;)
Thalatta & others

Hera tells ye, "You got me so flustered by the spanking, I booched my chat response!"
Hera tells ye, "Purple is the most awesome colour ever!"
[Mar 18, 2008 11:04:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ysanne007

Oh, and the rather large number of Hunter players chitchatting and/or trashtalking has likely incited a few Cobalt players to decide to pay a visit to Hunter tonight...;)

Oh great.. now I'll have to compete against people from Cobalt just because a few people were stupid enough to go annoy other oceans >.<
Neerie of the Hunter Ocean
Formerly known as Reenie and Maeve on Viridian.
[Mar 18, 2008 12:02:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
yaypuzzlez

Well.. The competition still goes on =P
I am Capberry | Rumbleboy.

Retired.
[Mar 18, 2008 1:50:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
slntslayer

I had to miss the Cobalt one, so sad too, think I might have been able to puzzle well.

Congrats to the winners.

Guess I shall be paying Hunter a visit tonight for ish and giggles.
When all else fails, go blow something up.
I'm a BK hunting trollop, and how!
Rehio wrote: 
There's gotta be some law that prohibits Rashnu from having any sort of contact with greenies.

Rashnu
i R slo kiddo.....
[Mar 18, 2008 2:00:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
iceage15

isnt it right now?
[Mar 18, 2008 5:05:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobBee88

8pm game time (or Pacific time)...which is 11pm Eastern, 10pm Central, 9pm Mountain, 4am Greenwich, etc...
Bobofarc of Sage
*SO of TLL and Lord of Good Grief*
[Mar 18, 2008 6:15:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Malted

These events really need to be filtered to Legendary+. A player who is legitimately at a lower rank has no shot at winning.

It will solve the problem of everyone going inter-ocean and using gimp characters to gain an advantage (in sails and bilge, at least). It will also stop the ship from filling up at 8:00:45 /info time when I try to click and get a spot. If your rank is lower, you need to suck it up and practice more or just go back to Atlantis and be happy. If you're from another ocean, then you know how to raise your bilge/sails to Legendary within 10 minutes on any ocean (if you really deserve a spot on this bakeoff, that is). Allowing lower ranked puzzlers into these coloured familiar bakeoffs makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, especially considering they're being run in stages tailored towards skill players. It's like a 40 handicap golfer getting a spot in the U.S. open.

I appreciate the OMs for attempting to host them. However, if one XO can sift through 75 jobbers for an elite Atlantis run weekly then surely an OM and 2 helpers can filter through 150 for a coloured familiar bakeoff that happens once every 6 months. It will add 20 minutes tops to the setup time if executed properly.

I realize I'm whining, but it just sucks that I planned my schedule around this event and the ship filled up in 40 seconds when I'm easily a better puzzler than 90% of the people on it. Don't get me wrong, I have learned from my mistake. Tomorrow night I'm going to click at exactly 8:00:01 game time. It still doesn't change the fact that the system is flawed. I'm sure there are many other people in the same boat as I am and equally unhappy about it. I feel really sorry for Viridian players because not only is that the active ocean but people will have realized how fast they need to click and I guarantee you that when the Viridian bakeoff rolls around the Grand Frig will be at 159 pirates in 20 seconds or less (10, even, if it goes up at exactly 8:00:00).
Novo, Sage
Teabagbill wrote: 
I was born and raised in Glasgow. Trust me, some 15 year old kid isn't going to win a fight against me.

[Mar 18, 2008 8:40:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
redspyke

Cobalt is good at something? Hmm..
[Mar 18, 2008 8:48:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DarkHelm

These events ...

The last multi-station bakeoff had 2 ships running simultaneously. The top few from each of those ship went to the finals. I liked that system, especially since it took some actual time to fill up the ship.

I'm not sure what you mean about advantage... yeah, you have an easier puzzle, but it has weaker scoring. Can you really pull a top incred with the beginner puzzles? If you can... yeah... something should be done about that. That's not the puzzle I thought we were competing in. I was under the impression that it was easy to score high and very difficult to score -extremely- high in the beginner puzzles.
[Mar 18, 2008 8:50:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Malted

Yes, I can. Check Novo's stats on Sage then on Hunter. I booched the sailing rank to renowned purposefully because that is optimal for bakeoff scoring. /shrugs

edit: However, even an able is MUCH better than an ultimate in sails for bakeoff purposes. Bilge is debatable, don't really feel like discussing puzzle mechanics in this thread. Carp you need legendary+ to have a chance at winning.
Novo, Sage
Teabagbill wrote: 
I was born and raised in Glasgow. Trust me, some 15 year old kid isn't going to win a fight against me.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Malted at Mar 18, 2008 8:59:36 PM]
[Mar 18, 2008 8:55:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
yaypuzzlez

These events ...

The last multi-station bakeoff had 2 ships running simultaneously. The top few from each of those ship went to the finals. I liked that system, especially since it took some actual time to fill up the ship.

I'm not sure what you mean about advantage... yeah, you have an easier puzzle, but it has weaker scoring. Can you really pull a top incred with the beginner puzzles? If you can... yeah... something should be done about that. That's not the puzzle I thought we were competing in. I was under the impression that it was easy to score high and very difficult to score -extremely- high in the beginner puzzles.

You can.. For sails, able sailors can pull incredible easily. Higher chances to get top. For carp, you need to be at least GM and above to get better pieces. For bilge, as Novo mentions, it's debatable.

And I do agree with Novo, I got disappointed as I didn't manage to get myself on the ship. By the time I click the 'go' button, it says vessels is full.

Retired.
[Mar 18, 2008 9:11:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

Well yay, was fun :D
Remember to get your mains and mute the whole ocean instead of getting alts to the bake offs XD
Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Mar 18, 2008 9:29:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SaintDane

For sails, I've flip flopped some, and found that entering on a pirate with ultimate sails tends to work more than anything else. Either way, Novo isn't exaggerating at all about how hard it is to get a station. Tonight I clicked the notice a few moments after it went up, and after all the lag, was barely able to find a station. I don't think filtering the applicants is the way to go, though. Too many people will want to enter on able alts.
[Mar 18, 2008 9:57:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bia
OceanMaster

Hunter results:
Prelim		Semi-Finals	Finals		Prize
Sailing
Ridethesky Sailingsoul Ridethesky Lavender/Navy Parrot
Sailingsoul Opps Sailingsoul Tortoise
Peanuthead Ridethesky Opps Spear Head
Opps Raggss Nordenx Egg
Peptobismol Peanuthead Nordenx Egg
Karkinos Peptobismol Nordenx Egg
Graevyn Clownn Shortyjack Egg
Raggss Karkinos Nordenx Egg
Clownn Sweetiepiepi Shortyjack Egg
Sweetiepiepi Gravyn Nordenx Egg
Carpentry
Trills Woodenleg Hatchetback Grey Monkey
Pinkyqt Hatchetback Woodenleg Tortoise
Brucebanner Brucebanner Brucebanner Stone Figurine
Woodenleg Tourist Nordenx Egg
Seramana Pinkyqt Nordenx Egg
Nemor Nemor Nordenx Egg
Ainsley Trills Nordenx Egg
Atlantiz Atlantiz Nordenx Egg
Hatchetback Seramana Shortyjack Egg
Tourist Ainsley Shortyjack Egg
Bilging
Rapportus Rapportus Hippihanni Lime Octopus
Misterpink Hippihanni Rapportus Tortoise
Rashnu Jokerswraith Jokerswraith Silver Cross
Ayu Twiddledee Shortyjack Egg
Jokerswraith Misterpink Nordenx Egg
Glamourous Daquan Nordenx Egg
Daquan Glamourous Nordenx Egg
Bullettime Ayu Shortyjack Egg
Hippihanni Rashnu Nordenx Egg
Twiddledee Bullettime Nordenx Egg
Italics denote the prize-winning position.
[Mar 18, 2008 9:58:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Malted

For sails, I've flip flopped some, and found that entering on a pirate with ultimate sails tends to work more than anything else. Either way, Novo isn't exaggerating at all about how hard it is to get a station. Tonight I clicked the notice a few moments after it went up, and after all the lag, was barely able to find a station. I don't think filtering the applicants is the way to go, though. Too many people will want to enter on able alts.

Rhetoric I'm guessing Ridethesky is your alt? Mad respect for your sailing abilities. You're better than I am, but maybe that's why I find it much easier on a lower statted alt. There's a reason why the #2 and 3 finishers on Hunter were on respected alts. :P
Novo, Sage
Teabagbill wrote: 

[Mar 18, 2008 10:14:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

Blame my under 5th-place-sail to a series of multiple freaking misflips! LMAO! Was fun fun fun <3
Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Mar 18, 2008 10:39:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SaintDane

I'm looking forward to see what standing the winners will have, especially on midnight. I've found master-ish much easier to build on, but ultimate seems to score higher. Of course, it is all relative to the competition, so I'm probably completely wrong.

And thanks, Novo. Equally mad respect for your videos.
[Mar 18, 2008 11:12:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hiphiphip

Once again thank you so much Bia for the awesome event and other fellow bilgers for the opportunity to compete :)

I found a little coincidence: Hatchetback and myself both get #9 in Preliminary round, #2 in semi-final, and #1 in Final ^^

About alting issue, I did make an effort to get my standing up (to Apprentice/Ultimate) prior to the Bake-off, since it's my most comfortable level. However If so many people have problem with "alts" having low stats to gain an advantage edge over other "non-alts". I would suggest making a bake off with the entry requirement that is: You need to make a brand new pirate with Novice/Able standings, and no incredible trophies and there will be info checking at the beginning of the bake off (same requirement as those crafting puzzle bake offs where you need to get highest standing as soon as possible). Then everyone will have the same advantage and no one can really complain :)
Hippihanni
[Mar 18, 2008 11:43:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
yaypuzzlez

Once again thank you so much Bia for the awesome event and other fellow bilgers for the opportunity to compete :)

I found a little coincidence: Hatchetback and myself both get #9 in Preliminary round, #2 in semi-final, and #1 in Final ^^

About alting issue, I did make an effort to get my standing up (to Apprentice/Ultimate) prior to the Bake-off, since it's my most comfortable level. However If so many people have problem with "alts" having low stats to gain an advantage edge over other "non-alts". I would suggest making a bake off with the entry requirement that is: You need to make a brand new pirate with Novice/Able standings, and no incredible trophies and there will be info checking at the beginning of the bake off (same requirement as those crafting puzzle bake offs where you need to get highest standing as soon as possible). Then everyone will have the same advantage and no one can really complain :)

Good idea, sounds fair to me. Let's hope someday it will happen though I still got disappointed that I didn't manage to join to compete in the bake off. :(

Retired.
[Mar 19, 2008 12:18:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ysanne007

There will always be alts at those events. Same ocean alts are one thing, inter-ocean alts are another thing. I'm annoyed by both mut mainly the second. However yesterday what won the cake was all of those people from Cobalt actually BRAGGING about not standing a chance but being there for the ONLY purpose of taking a legitimate Hunter player spot.

Congrats mates for totally ruining the spirit of that event.
Neerie of the Hunter Ocean
Formerly known as Reenie and Maeve on Viridian.
[Mar 19, 2008 8:41:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jezzebel

There will always be alts at those events. Same ocean alts are one thing, inter-ocean alts are another thing. I'm annoyed by both mut mainly the second. However yesterday what won the cake was all of those people from Cobalt actually BRAGGING about not standing a chance but being there for the ONLY purpose of taking a legitimate Hunter player spot.

Congrats mates for totally ruining the spirit of that event.

And this was my earlier point. I hear "bakeoffs are about the BEST of the BEST competing". Yet the Cobalt bakeoff was half-filled with people from Hunter saying "haha hunter pwns coblat sux u n00bz!!" Those are the "best of the best", are they?

Your bakeoff was filled with rude people from Cobalt because ours was filled with rude people from Hunter. No, two wrongs don't make a right, but I guess Hunter shouldn't dish it out if they can't take it either.

Frankly, I'm shocked the whole thing is allowed at all. Sure, there will always be cross-ocean alts who are smart enough to just keep their mouths shut and puzzle, but why are people who brag they are from another ocean - and are dissing the host ocean in the process - not just planked from the ship?
Redjenny, Now merged with Health Nutz
Thebloggess wrote: 
A hug is like a strangle you haven't finished yet!

[Mar 19, 2008 9:34:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

The above discussion makes me really appreciate the more spontaneous bake offs. I wish those occurred more often.
Dexla d'Midnight
[Mar 19, 2008 10:11:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 152   Pages: 6   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates