• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 152
Posts: 152   Pages: 6   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 38220 times and has 151 replies Next Thread
Deborah

Re: The Pick-Your-Puzzle Bake-Off - Three familiars on every ocean! Reply to this Post

Considering the recent bakeoff held by Bootlicker, and the off-ocean similar-named alts who walked off with 3 of the top 5 prizes on Midnight (referenced starting with this post here )...

Is this allowed? Is it too hard to prevent (in a timely manner)?

My personal feelings about the Midnight bakeoff: while it wasn't "illegal" and it was impossible to prevent, it was certainly shady and IMO not on the up-and-up, but I'm not in charge and will stand by whatever rules Bia makes for this Bakeoff.

--m3
----------------------------------------
Hermes says, "At any rate, I'm afraid I'll have to cede to your blockade, ladies. Business calls."
Madmarymeade says, "I think this means Rexe-Mary 2, OMs 0?"
Hermes says, "We go down easily."
[Mar 12, 2008 7:38:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kryptika

Re: The Pick-Your-Puzzle Bake-Off - Three familiars on every ocean! Reply to this Post

Yes it would be around 3am my time - can we not get a competition which would also benefit players in the rest of the world... surely there are enough of us....

Kryptika
Hunter Ocean
[Mar 12, 2008 8:53:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

I'm astounded that this is not held at a time that is convenient for 100% of the player base. Wait, which time is that again?
Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 
I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
[Mar 12, 2008 9:05:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
slntslayer

I'm astounded that this is not held at a time that is convenient for 100% of the player base. Wait, which time is that again?

Exactly. As always, players complain about the time. Quick, lets set it for 2am PST so that EU players can have a go and let the US players complain about the time.

As Bia stated, she does events as time in her schedule permits. Just be happy that they are running these in the first place since it is not required for the OMs to do such things (at least not that I know of).
When all else fails, go blow something up.
I'm a BK hunting trollop, and how!
Rehio wrote: 
There's gotta be some law that prohibits Rashnu from having any sort of contact with greenies.

Rashnu
i R slo kiddo.....
[Mar 12, 2008 10:23:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheSpyer

Obviously the time doesn't and can not suit everyone. However, this is the fourth bake-off in succession which isn't at an 'EU friendly' time and I'm sure a lot more than a quarter of players on this ocean are from the EU...

Luckily, it's in the holidays, so I'm just going to stay up late or wake up early. Even that's hard to decide with the time it's at!

I'm sure eventually there will be a bake-off for EU players so I will just be patient.

Puppet
SO of the crew Tranquility
Prince of the flag The Blood Line

-------------------------------------------------

"It must have been a bad fold. You must have been bluffing, because my poker standing went down!"
Puppet

SO of the crew Tranquility
Prince of the flag The Blood Line

[Anonymous] tells ye, "go ahead and run"
Could not tell [Anonymous]: That user is not online.
[Mar 12, 2008 10:48:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
thranduil01

and still no gunning bake-0ff,,,

Free wazzy

[Mar 12, 2008 11:15:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kittycool

Meh, I'll miss this one. If only school ended on Tuesday like it was supposed to do, and I'd get half a day off... Ah well =P
Kittyocool on Hunter
[Mar 12, 2008 12:25:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randy_chimp

</3 the time
</3 the lack of gunning which is the only puzzle i have a chance of winning any familiar in
Dachimpy.com (video tutorials website)
Blockade Simulator
[Mar 13, 2008 7:38:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
seb_long_uk

</3 the time
</3 the lack of gunning which is the only puzzle i have a chance of winning any familiar in

Y!PP has over 3 million pirates registered to it's name, mate. There is no time or puzzle that can suit them all. You will have to wait for another bake-off, the same as the rest of us.
Domokun
Avatar by the incredible Tilinka
[Mar 13, 2008 8:07:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    My other sloop is a Gold/Gold rename [Link]  Go to top 
nalle5

and still no gunning bake-0ff,,,

Or dnav...
Angara
Midnight

This account is retired and PM's sent here will not be answered
I am now using my Angara account

[Mar 13, 2008 9:16:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
slntslayer

They are still trying to determine the best possible way to run a dnav bakeoff.

There was one run by a player that was done quite well, but with the inability to have multiple players dnavving on the same vessel, it makes determining a winner that much more difficult.

Someday a dnav bakeoff will be thought of that works out perfectly.
When all else fails, go blow something up.
I'm a BK hunting trollop, and how!
Rehio wrote: 
There's gotta be some law that prohibits Rashnu from having any sort of contact with greenies.

Rashnu
i R slo kiddo.....
[Mar 13, 2008 11:14:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CurlingNB

maby a stipid question but is PDT the in game time
Thatoneguy-Viridian
[Mar 13, 2008 12:51:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Yes, PDT is the in-game time - type /info to see in-game time.

Duty navigation is pretty much covered by the races now, which seem to me as fair a way as any to compare performance. :)
[Mar 13, 2008 1:16:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Nooblar

Does no one complain about the lack of Bnav bakeoffs?

On a more serious note, Awesome events. It's great to see more bakeoffs being done.
Nooblar and/or Nerdbeard on Sage/Emerald
Cartrunner wrote: 

<3
Dear forum alt: since you inquired, no, I do not endorse ban evasion.

Tilinkatar!
[Mar 14, 2008 12:43:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
celestfury

One could assume the people who complain can't bnav? More Bnav events would be fun though - Bumper Boats comes to mind. :D
(Though this is totally the wrong threat for that.)

Back on topic: <3 Bia~ :D Yet again, another perfectly timed bakeoff! <3 I'll be there for sure. Can't wait! ^-^
~~ Carsomyr ~~
Senior Officer of Bootleg Bandits on Meridian
Senior Officer of Crew Snag Answer C on Emerald
( ^ - ^ )/~~~~~@
[Mar 14, 2008 1:30:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
P1P3L1N3

Great to see more bakeoffs, a stroke of luck the only one I think I can make is on my home ocean! It's also great to see the 3 round format being used again -- I've always been partial to this kind. Well done on a great event Bia, I can tell it'll be a success! :)
Pipeline of Viridian
[Mar 14, 2008 1:46:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
starrarose

Hooray! An Aussie friendly time. *waves at those in Euro time* You can has blockades, 99% of the other events that are run in your friendly times. We have to get up at 6am to make the noon start of a blockade at the moment - and any other noon PDT event - and that's those of us in DST on the EAST coast, west coast is looking at 4am iirc.

Much <3 Bia
Phoenix - Black Plague to the core, Flag may change randomly.

Prometheus wrote: 
TheRack wrote: 

I think the OM's suck and are cheats.

no u

-Pro

[Mar 14, 2008 3:05:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AlpinePirate

Considering the recent bakeoff held by Bootlicker, and the off-ocean similar-named alts who walked off with 3 of the top 5 prizes on Midnight (referenced starting with this post here )...

Is this allowed? Is it too hard to prevent (in a timely manner)?

The first step necessary would be a statement of the organizing OM if he intents the bake-offs to be open for off-ocean players or if he would like them to be exclusive to the respective oceans' players. The problem is that OMs seem reluctant to specify rules that they can't enforce by game mechanics. Trusting my fellow pirates I have the hope that stating the "Spirit of the Event" would prevent most abuse a priori.
[Mar 14, 2008 9:19:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SirCarl67

I tried running a bnav bakeoff on viridian based on poe won in 90 min. While I didn't have a familiar to give away the offer of quintrupleing your winnings off the bots meant I was expecting to give away 300-400k to an ultimate bnavver.

The event was cancelled as I only received 4 entires.

As far as timing goes I am in the "timing of bake-offs could be better", though I recognise the work that the OMs put into organising such events, and there is only certain times they are free, and it is great to have them at all.

Sure no time will be convenient for everybody but I would guess that of reguar players there would be about 50% North and South America, 40% Europe and Africa 10% Asia and Australasia.

Weekdays at 8pm will be convenient to the west coast of North America and those in Asia and Australasia who are not working during the day (I would guess most countries do not have school holidays before easter as it is so early this year and most of Asia will not take Easter off at all, those out of scholl will not be able to make it. Rather late evening but possible for the East coast and possible South America, and the middle of the night for Europe and Africa.

If one time should be preferred for events like this I wouldhave though the time that most do not have work/sleep commitments is before the Blockade window on a Saturday, say at 8:00am game time. This would be Sat Morning in the Americas (possible a little early for those on the west coast but not too bad), Sat Afternoon in Europe/Africa. Only those players in Asia and Australasia would not be able to make it.

How about every few months switching off the blockade (like at Christmas) or reducing the window to 12/18 hours and having familiar bake-offs during the normal blockade time.
Apollo tells ye "If you're ok for me to do one [bake-off], I'll go with that."
[Edit 1 times, last edit by SirCarl67 at Mar 14, 2008 5:49:00 PM]
[Mar 14, 2008 5:47:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Saladin3

Sweet, I can win a monkey!
Good thing Viridian is on friday, I have an essay due sometime the week after.
I'm just curious, what time would it be in the Central regions of Canada, per say, Ontario. Not so good with time.
And for all those who participate, good luck :)
Ampersand - Malachite
[Mar 14, 2008 7:56:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fiadys

Sweet, I can win a monkey!
Good thing Viridian is on friday, I have an essay due sometime the week after.
I'm just curious, what time would it be in the Central regions of Canada, per say, Ontario. Not so good with time.
And for all those who participate, good luck :)

I agree with you about Viridian being on Friday - I finish school on the Wednesday - so I can sneak on to play - hopefully ^.^

Go the persistence of Europe!
[Mar 15, 2008 10:19:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xqin

do you get prize if you log out before it is done?
Dar on Emerald
[Mar 15, 2008 11:11:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wahahahah

yay! yay! <3 Bia!!

It would be Saturday, 12 noon on Viridian for me!!! Woohoo!!
Stupidjerk

Team Viridian! Migrated to Emerald on Feb2020!
[Mar 15, 2008 6:23:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faque

i was wondering if there are any color limitations on the familiars like there have been before?

or is it safe to assume that all colors given on the yppedia are available to pick from.
Faque of Sage
SO of The Cronies
Lord of the Flag Honor Above All
[Mar 16, 2008 9:42:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://theonlypenguin.deviantart.com    iuseprozac    MooMonkey0 [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

You should always assume that where there's a choice of familiar color, the choice can only be made from permitted colors. So, for example, you would not be able to choose solid white or black familiars.
[Mar 16, 2008 11:16:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
seb_long_uk

You should always assume that where there's a choice of familiar color, the choice can only be made from permitted colors. So, for example, you would not be able to choose solid white, solid black or Atlantian familiars, or Octopi in the 3 new colours.

Just for clarity, O sunny one
Domokun
Avatar by the incredible Tilinka
[Mar 16, 2008 4:59:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    My other sloop is a Gold/Gold rename [Link]  Go to top 
Technician

lol at all the negative comments made previous in this thread - booowoooo to you!

I for one think any Familiar giveaway like this on such a grand scale can be nothing but a good thing for the players of the game. Aye sure, am a Brit and the time is a bummer, but its not like the Brits, Americans, Aussies or whoever have a singular common time whereas everybody is happy with timing. End of the day the OM''s rotate Familiar Event start times periodically over the year so to those of certain nationalities who are complaining now am sure you'll have to put up with listening to complaints made by other nationalities in future events held of this kind.
Rover of Viridian
VOTE FOR ME HERE!
[Mar 17, 2008 3:43:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bia
OceanMaster

Cobalt Results
		Sailing
Tippy Navy/Blue Parrot
Bigboii Tortoise
Greaper Stone Figurine
Contexx Nordenx Egg
Sailerdude Shortyjack Egg
Luxy Shortyjack Egg
Lj Nordenx Egg
Txrocket Nordenx Egg
Silverglass Nordenx Egg
Jackngibbs Shortyjack Egg

Carpentry
Lag Yellow Monkey
Dexavis Nordenx Egg
Oneeyedwilli Spear Head
Nici Shortyjack Egg
Thegame Shortyjack Egg
Chestylarue Shortyjack Egg
Viprince Shortyjack Egg
Shaunathon Nordenx Egg
Pattonditto Nordenx Egg
Geekers Nordenx Egg

Bilging
Menace Red Octopus
Sputnik Pig
Bisquick Ancient Calendar
Bakeme Nordenx Egg
Blackmachine Shortyjack Egg
Seph Nordenx Egg
Hellocobalt Shortyjack Egg
Darlie Shortyjack Egg
Ogoph Nordenx Egg
Podgie Nordenx Egg

[Mar 17, 2008 10:00:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
gotkevlar

so i assume the colors of the familiar prizes will follow suite with the ones on colbalt ocean?
Kevlar
[Mar 17, 2008 10:08:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bia
OceanMaster

so i assume the colors of the familiar prizes will follow suite with the ones on colbalt ocean?

The winners chose their colours.
[Mar 17, 2008 10:17:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 152   Pages: 6   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates