• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 152
Posts: 152   Pages: 6   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 38196 times and has 151 replies Next Thread
Granilithe

Re: The Pick-Your-Puzzle Bake-Off - Three familiars on every ocean! Reply to this Post

You know, I never really agreed with the whole Leg+ thing. But when alt's from other oceans are winning, it just doesn't seem right. And I say this while I currently have no Leg rating.
----------------------------------------
Granilithe of Emerald
SO of Rabbid Zombie Bunnehs
Princess of Trophy Tarts

[Mar 20, 2008 9:46:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://dreampirate21.livejournal.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
gotkevlar

Re: The Pick-Your-Puzzle Bake-Off - Three familiars on every ocean! Reply to this Post

And those whose been years practicing and improving?

The rating system seems to have put a veil over your view of the competitive chances. I'm sure if there was a way, there'd be bake-off ships that're capable of holding 500 people. But, since there isn't, we'll have to live with the condition that fastest clickers win.

Myself? i'm only renowned in the puzzle that i plan on competing in, but i say i have as fair a chance at the competition as any of the ults out there on my ocean.
Kevlar
[Mar 20, 2008 9:48:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Deborah

Alts won on Midnight, and the boat filled in about 3 seconds. *shrug*

On Midnight, there were 33 bilgers, and ALL the bilgers got 'Inc' on that first duty report.

Tonight on Sage, there were about 45 bilgers, and maybe 20 had 'Inc'. (I didn't actually count). There were several 'Exc' and 'Good' and one Booched.

--m3, reporting.

edit: Frankly, I'm glad we have bakeoffs, even if they're imperfect. I appreciate Minthe/Bia running them for us. Yarrr.
Hermes says, "At any rate, I'm afraid I'll have to cede to your blockade, ladies. Business calls."
Madmarymeade says, "I think this means Rexe-Mary 2, OMs 0?"
Hermes says, "We go down easily."
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Deborah at Mar 20, 2008 9:51:00 PM]
[Mar 20, 2008 9:48:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bia
OceanMaster

Sage Results:
Prelim		Semi-Finals	Finals		Prize
Sailing
Ridethesky Stupidalt Ridethesky Mint/White Parrot
Stupidalt Ridethesky Stupidalt Tortoise
Wodka Quitex Quitex Lodestone Compass
Theoretical Sinna Nordenx' Egg
Quitex Wodka Nordenx' Egg
Sinna Theoretical Shortyjack's Egg
Lotsofgoats Andisandi Nordenx' Egg
Aquag Aquag Shortyjack's Egg
Clockwise Lotsofgoats Shortyjack's Egg
Andisandi Clockwise Nordenx' Egg
Carpentry
Woodenleg Woodenleg Woodenleg Peach Monkey
Ainulindale Yyjj Defleur Stone Figurine
Nooblar Defleur YYjj Silver Cross
Joeyjoejo Billyb Shortyjack's Egg
Billyb Ainulindale Nordenx' Egg
Defleur Joeyjoejo Nordenx' Egg
Yyjj Kerix Nordenx' Egg
Kerix Nooblar Nordenx' Egg
Daviro Geekers Shortyjack's Egg
Geekers Daviro Nordenx' Egg
Bilging
Vnork Leana Leana Red Octopus
Killercat Robjeremy Robjeremy Tortoise
Robjeremy Killercat Killercat Silver Cross
Gimpy Bakedoff Nordenx' Egg
Leana Huangrong Nordenx' Egg
Huangrong Gregthegreat Nordenx' Egg
Gregthegreat Vnork Nordenx' Egg
Bakedoff Hippihanni Nordenx' Egg
Hippihanni Cheesman Nordenx' Egg
Cheesman Gimpy Nordenx' Egg

Italics denote prize-winning position. I made a typo on some of the trinkets awarded. I believe I corrected all of them, but if yours has not been, please send me a private message noting the location of the trinket and I will correct it.
[Mar 20, 2008 10:00:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
EverclearBoy

Using standings as the requirement to get in still wouldnt eliminate the problem of inter-ocean alts and alts in general used in the event instead of main pirates. You'd simply have people before the events getting their alt up to that standing before the event.

What would do the trick is Experience level. Perhaps Weighty or Expert, meaning that pirate has to actually play on the Ocean to a certain degree to win. Those experience levels shouldnt be a problem for anyone who frequents an ocean.
Amberon says, "Tricky little bastards."
Stud at Drinking Competitions says, "umm >.> will u quit for 50% of what i win? >.>"
Everclearboy officer chats "Stud's offering me Half a bird?"
[Mar 21, 2008 5:31:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SaintDane

Using experience requirements would eliminate a large number of inter-ocean alts, but many people use alts even on their own ocean. I've been in quite a few bakeoffs, and only once have I entered on a main character, and know many people who do the same.

Regardless, I think it is impossible to filter who joins. If we're getting 158 people in roughly five seconds, think of how many people tried to get in and failed. I think the best way to improve bakeoffs would be increase the number of boats used, having one boat for each puzzle like there has been in the past.
[Mar 21, 2008 8:08:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
slntslayer

I see nothing but 3 pages of complaints and 1 post thanking Bia/Minthe for the work.

Can any of you complaining actually run a bakeoff to this magnitude?? I would guess that it would be quite overwhelming. You all should be thanking your lucky pirate-parrot-feathers that Bia/Minthe even chose to run these bakeoffs. She doesn't have to, there is nothing that states, "A bakeoff must be run every month to give out familiars." Also notice the time that these are being run, not on Bia's normal shift, so it seems she is taking time out of her actual personal day to run this for the oceans.

So quit the tarting, and be thankful that the opportunity even exists in the first place. So you didn't get on the boat, boohoo. So you stayed up late and didn't get on, well go to bed. You all seem to be forgetting that this is a game and is created for fun.

To the person that stated more boats should be used, can you honestly imagine 1 OM dealing with 450+ pirates for a bakeoff? And don't retort with "well then use more OMs" since OOO is already minus a pair with the recent OM departure.

Yes, not getting on the boat is no fun for you, but someone else got the spot and is enjoying the fun. Maybe about time to stop thinking solely about yourselves and just think that maybe next time you will get the chance. I personally have been in many bakeoffs and despite the puzzling talent I feel I have, always get shut out. This makes me try harder and practice more until I can perfect certain puzzles. So perhaps instead of wasting time complaining, maybe go get on a boat and practice more. If you're Leg, shoot for Ult, if you're Ult, shoot for #1.

Now that this is over, thanks again Bia/Minthe for running these for the oceans.
When all else fails, go blow something up.
I'm a BK hunting trollop, and how!
Rehio wrote: 
There's gotta be some law that prohibits Rashnu from having any sort of contact with greenies.

Rashnu
i R slo kiddo.....
[Mar 21, 2008 10:29:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Granilithe

So quit the tarting, and be thankful that the opportunity even exists in the first place. So you didn't get on the boat, boohoo. So you stayed up late and didn't get on, well go to bed. You all seem to be forgetting that this is a game and is created for fun.

I rarely tart and usually attack those who do. So this is my tart for the month :p

Plus I never said anything about the OM's and nor do I care about staying up cause that's my usual playing time. Personally I was just wanting to say how annoying it was that it took all of 2 seconds to fill, and a quite a few don't even play on the ocean. I know the OM's do the best they can with what they got. Just like Three Rings do what the can about the insane game lag. Doesn't mean we complain about it any less though.
Granilithe of Emerald
SO of Rabbid Zombie Bunnehs
Princess of Trophy Tarts

[Mar 21, 2008 11:32:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://dreampirate21.livejournal.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Deborah

I have a pirate on (nearly) every ocean. I'm legendary (at least) at bilge on every pirate, with a bolded bilge stat (usually solid). Midnight is my main ocean -- the one I play daily. I just like bilge, what can I say? It would take me little time at all to raise that Solid to Weighty experience, which would then mean that I could not be excluded from "stat or exp requirements" bakeoffs.

Sometimes I like to use an alt on Midnight's bakeoffs, simply because I can focus on puzzling and not have to worry about tells or /crew or /fo chatter.

Yes, it's frustrating when getting on the ship is a clickfest, and you miss out. Yes, it's frustrating when people off-ocean walk off with the Big Prize (in multiple categories, no less). However, I'd still rather have some bakeoffs than none at all.

I had a great time playing on the other oceans, hanging out with people I normally don't see very often, and unfortunately won't be able to hit tonight's bakeoff as there's a family birthday party to attend. I was looking forward to it.

--m3
Hermes says, "At any rate, I'm afraid I'll have to cede to your blockade, ladies. Business calls."
Madmarymeade says, "I think this means Rexe-Mary 2, OMs 0?"
Hermes says, "We go down easily."
[Mar 21, 2008 11:56:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Malted

I dunno if you've noticed sltnslayer but we're the customers here. I see nothing wrong with constructive criticism when an event obviously isn't working as intended.
Novo, Sage
Teabagbill wrote: 
I was born and raised in Glasgow. Trust me, some 15 year old kid isn't going to win a fight against me.

[Mar 21, 2008 1:02:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
slntslayer

I dunno if you've noticed sltnslayer but we're the customers here. I see nothing wrong with constructive criticism when an event obviously isn't working as intended.

Criticism is good. Constant whining isn't exactly constructive though. Yes, there is always room for improvement on any and all events/bakeoffs that are run. Typically after the event is run a thread is setup in the Events Workshop forum in order to get a better feel for how to make things work out next time.

Typically an event will not change midway through because, well, then other oceans would complain that had to follow the event under the older rules/terms.

So criticize and help out, but don't tart, whine, and complain. Try to put it eloquently so that it gets read and thought about instead of, "well screw those oceanhoppers and the boat filling so quickly, make more boats for the bakeoff." Try explaining why more boats would make the bakeoff better and how to manage it. Throwing ideas around is a lot like having meetings, just a bunch of people together to inflate the already existing stupid. Give an idea, and a reason behind it, this will bring about discussion.

Intelligence people...use it. =)
When all else fails, go blow something up.
I'm a BK hunting trollop, and how!
Rehio wrote: 
There's gotta be some law that prohibits Rashnu from having any sort of contact with greenies.

Rashnu
i R slo kiddo.....
[Mar 21, 2008 1:34:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kinocha

bake-off > no bake-off

Thanks for running them. The skill level on the midnight boat was insane. I know I had fun, even thought I was frustrated afterwards for not making the cut to the semifinals. And I was one of those staying up to 4 am, just to participate. Its great trying your hand against the best of the oceans.
Kinocha, Senior Officer of White Rose under the flag Blood and Roses on Midnight Ocean

Avatar by the amazing Koalarocker
[Mar 21, 2008 1:50:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

I was pretty sure one of them recently did 2 boats. I could be mis-remembering. Granted, it does take more staff and whatnot. I rather enjoyed this one, at least for the round I was in. I could get behind a rating limitation. Some early bakeoffs were done that way, so there's precedent.

Cheers to Bia, and the winners!
Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 
I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
[Mar 21, 2008 2:42:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

that sucked - i clicked it as soon as it came up on the notice board and the vessel was full already
~~~ Adrielle, Ezzleart and Enfyz ~~~
... (& @AmazinAdrielle on Twitter) ...
[Mar 21, 2008 8:07:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
texanrose

that sucked - i clicked it as soon as it came up on the notice board and the vessel was full already

Yea that really sucks....same thing happened to me, but my game froze up and blue screened me and wouldn't come out of it without me restarting the game :(! I have been waiting all day for the Bake Off and within seconds it was full this doesn't seem right :P!
~Alleyoo~
"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned"
[Mar 21, 2008 8:13:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Maialiana

I had the same thing, a blue screen after being told the vessel was full.
I am so mad :(

XXX greeter chats, "wat is this chat for than anyway"
YYYY greeter chats, "idk its just that theres 1 rule and that we arnt alowd to chat in

[Mar 21, 2008 8:17:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hai=/=Hi, Hai=Yes [Link]  Go to top 
Cieve

Yea that really sucks....same thing happened to me, but my game froze up and blue screened me and wouldn't come out of it without me restarting the game :(! I have been waiting all day for the Bake Off and within seconds it was full this doesn't seem right :P!

lmao the boat filled up in 10 seconds, I couldn't get in either and a couple others. Apologise to those I was spamming logins to as I was blue screening too.

Well goodluck to those got did manage to get in.

/e heads back to bed
Reichi
[Mar 21, 2008 8:19:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xyz2043

Maybe bake off's should be like skellie frays?!?! Same argument anyway.

edit
I would say filled in like 5 seconds.
stfu
[Edit 1 times, last edit by xyz2043 at Mar 21, 2008 8:24:18 PM]
[Mar 21, 2008 8:22:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Keturah77

I never even saw the post on the notice board...:( nt sure what ship, im new to familiars..not a greenie
SO of Die by the Sword
Princess of Post Mortem
[Mar 21, 2008 8:29:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CashCarStar

Maybe bake off's should be like skellie frays?!?! Same argument anyway.

edit
I would say filled in like 5 seconds.

I'd say even that's an overestimate.

I think we have a new incentive to Euro-friendly times starting times... decrease participation back down to a more reasonable level.
Festrunk - Viridian
[Mar 21, 2008 8:34:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bia
OceanMaster

Viridian Results:
Prelim		Semi-Finals	Finals		Prize
Sailing
Sapporo Dunnyalt Pixieskingw Grey/White Parrot
Juicebox Ridethesky Ridethesky Turtle
Dunnyalt Pixieskingw Dunnyalt Stone Figurine
Interr Sapporo Shortyjack's Egg
Rover Pjotr Nordenx' Egg
Contex Juicebox Shortyjack's Egg
Ridethesky Readyaim Nordenx' Egg
Pjotr Rover Shortyjack's Egg
Pixieskingw Contex Shortyjack's Egg
Readyaim Interr Shortyjack's Egg
Carpentry
Nemor Nemor Legogal Red Monkey
Vandread Legogal Nemor Nordenx' Egg
Silverphish Daenerys Daenerys Stone Figurine
Daenerys Bluedaemon Nordenx' Egg
Kerix Kerix Nordenx' Egg
Blackjeck Silverphish Shortyjack's Egg
Cuts Cuts Nordenx' Egg
Carsomyr Blackjeck Nordenx' Egg
Legogal Carsomyr Nordenx' Egg
Bluedaemon Vandread Nordenx' Egg
Bilging
Cagliari Cagliari Cagliari Pink Octopus
Alkapone Damita Damned Turtle
Hookneye Damned Damita Stone figurine
Cleavermasta Ikke Nordenx' Egg
Krwawobrody Krwawobrody Nordenx' Egg
Childprodigy Childprodigy Nordenx' Egg
Carleton Alkapone Nordenx' Egg
Ikke Hookneye Shortyjack's Egg
Damita Cleavermasta Nordenx' Egg
Damned Carleton Nordenx' Egg
Italics denote prize-winning position.

I understand the problems that exist with the bake-off format. A second ship is certainly possible, and will likely be used in the future. Unfortunately, in most cases we must run the bake-off with the tools we are given. For the most part, we cannot change anything coded into the game. The special bake-off vessels we have are about the extent of our ability to tweak things.

While there are a number of such changes that would be nice for bake-offs, it is unlikely that any event-specific (especially event-specific that would be limited to Ocean Master use) changes to the game will gain a higher priority than any currently planned additions.

Also, if the whisk to a full ship caused your client to hang on a blue screen, I do hope you submitted a bug report. I do not know if this is limited to only the bake-off vessels, but I did receive a few tells to that effect over the course of the week.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Bia at Mar 21, 2008 10:32:30 PM]
[Mar 21, 2008 9:45:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Captitain

Booh. I didn't win a single one of the bakeoffs xD
The weird thing is that...I got 6th place on Hunter, Sage, AND Viridian. D:

*Giggles*
Amyxlala
[Mar 21, 2008 10:10:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Outsomnia

Viridian Results:
Finals		Prize
Nemor Nemor

I'm sorry, it made me giggle.
Aisso of Viridian
The Reader... I haven't seen The Reader.
[Mar 21, 2008 10:29:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
celestfury

Thanks very much for the bake-offs, Bia! <3 It was great fun and certainly much appreciated! And the trinket - personally, I think winning the trinket is the best part. :D! (Well, aside from an excuse to compare carp skills to the best of the best. <3) Thanks heaps!

And Nemor won a Nemor? (I love typos.) I gotta keep practicing so I can win a Nemor too. :D
~~ Carsomyr ~~
Senior Officer of Bootleg Bandits on Meridian
Senior Officer of Crew Snag Answer C on Emerald
( ^ - ^ )/~~~~~@
[Edit 1 times, last edit by celestfury at Mar 21, 2008 10:31:18 PM]
[Mar 21, 2008 10:29:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mat33

Booh. I didn't win a single one of the bakeoffs xD
The weird thing is that...I got 6th place on Hunter, Sage, AND Viridian. D:

*Giggles*

I got 8th on both Midnight and Virid >_>.....the sage one filled in 1.7 seconds and I was confused where to join for the hunter one v_v =P
..::..Interr..::.. (Hunter Ocean)

--->See Me<--- Click Here: http://hunter.puzzlepirates.com/yoweb/pirate.wm?target=Interr

http://malachite.puzzlepirates.com/yoweb/pirate.wm?target=Interference
[Mar 22, 2008 10:21:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LiquidatorJo

i think its great having these bakeoffs and know its done out of time the om's have so i appreciate it like everyone else does

but people have a point rashnu dude

whats the point of having bakeoffs on other oceans when the inter-ocean people fill the bakeoff ship and take all the spots for others native to the ocean itself, that doesnt sound fair at all to me to the natives otherwise whats the point of having the bakeoffs on different oceans in the first place? i dun get it
Noob Greeter asks "What's an Atlantis?"
[Mar 22, 2008 6:06:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
quickslvr

whats the point of having bakeoffs on other oceans when the inter-ocean people fill the bakeoff ship and take all the spots for others native to the ocean itself, that doesnt sound fair at all to me to the natives otherwise whats the point of having the bakeoffs on different oceans in the first place? i dun get it

I think the only solution to that would be to hold all-ocean bakeoffs like they did at least once before (2005?) but that would mean getting more than one OM involved. With the recent departure of two OMs, I doubt we'll get to see that for quite some time.

Thanks for the event Bia! I've hills and mountains to climb before I get to win something in these.. lol 'x',)
[Mar 22, 2008 9:30:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SirCarl67

The other approach is to do unannounced bake-offs as was done a few months ago (Think it was Christmas). Unfortunately I was on a trade run at the time and by the time I got to the nearest port the bake-off ship was full. The only downside of this approch is if you are navving in atlantis and suddenly lose half your crew.
Apollo tells ye "If you're ok for me to do one [bake-off], I'll go with that."
[Mar 23, 2008 4:37:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
quickslvr

Impromptu bake-offs could still trigger cross-ocean alts though if you happen to be online in both oceans for some reason. One tell could go a long way too.
[Mar 23, 2008 11:02:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
VisionOfLove

Impromptu bake-offs could still trigger cross-ocean alts though if you happen to be online in both oceans for some reason. One tell could go a long way too.

I guess, but the likelyhood of it being someone who could win a big prize or prize at all is very small. Go look at the results of the previous impromptu bake-off. I can't speak for your ocean but it was a huge success in the Viridian and every person in the top 10 was from that ocean. One tell could go a long way, but it would have to be in a very short amount of time! These bake-offs fill fast you know, Janepeg even said herself she was too late by the time she got to the nearest port.

There were some problems like Janepeg mentioned with some poor crew running an atlantis at that time sinking because everyone left. I don't think there are any plans to solve this problem but since these things only come like once a year I say put up with it.
Damita of the Viridian Ocean
[Mar 24, 2008 12:54:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 152   Pages: 6   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates