• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 22
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6135 times and has 21 replies Next Thread
tanonev

Simon Says Duty Puzzle Bake-Off (March 16) (win a sloop!)

Match your duty report as closely as possible to what Simon says!

Date and time: March 16*, Noon PDT

Overview
1. There will be 3 divisions, one for each station type.
2. The run will last 31 leagues.
3. For the first 20 leagues, Arthen (another pirate who will be assisting me throughout the event) will announce a randomly chosen duty report target (e.g., Fine) at the start of every other league, starting with the first. Participants will then have two leagues to match that target as closely as possible. The duty report for the second league is the one that counts.
4. For the next 10 leagues, Arthen will announce a randomly chosen duty report target at the start of every league. Participants must then match that target as closely as possible for that league's duty report.
5. The last league has no duty report, but we do need to get back to port ;)
6. On each station type, the pirate with the most points from matching duty reports (see Specific Judging Guidelines below) wins.

Prizes
Per station type:
First place: Sloop (unstocked, unpainted, uncharted, ported at Admiral)
-Carpentry name: Attentive Carp
-Sailing name: Attentive Sail
-Bilging name: Attentive Puffer
Second place: Second Place Medal, Wrapped Parlor Badge, Wrapped Bravery Badge
Third place: Third Place Medal, Wrapped Parlor Badge

Sign-up Guidelines
At or after noon on the contest day, send me a tell to be jobbed onto the event ship, a grand frigate. Once on the ship, take an open station of your choosing. Sign-ups are on a first-come, first-served basis. Furthermore, sign-ups will be closed 15 minutes after noon, or when the ship is full, whichever comes first. No spectators are allowed.

Specific Judging Guidelines
For each target, each pirate will receive points based on how closely he matched the target.
Exact match: 10 points
One off (too high or too low): 6 points
Two off: 3 points
Three off: 1 point
Four or more off: 0 points
A duty report of Learning will count as either Poor or Booched, whichever is worth fewer points for that league's target.
Ties will be broken based on the number of exact matches made. If ties remain, there will be a breakdown based on what kinds of matches were made (Incredibles highest valued, then Booches, then Excellents, etc.). If ties remain, they will be broken based on when the first non-exact match was made. If ties remain, we will resort to a random number generator, seeded by the XOR of the ASCII values of the names of the pirates in question.
A running scoreboard (with no ties broken) will be available at http://kshiells.dtran.org/scoreboard.php

Details
Once you have taken a station, you may not abandon it at any time during the contest. Doing so is grounds for immediate planking and disqualification.
This event will include the debut of an OCR tool for reading duty reports. As the tool is quite new, there is a possibility that we will encounter errors during its use. Fortunately, we will have saved screenshots of all duty reports, so if you encounter discrepancies on the running scoreboard, please let me or Arthen know at the end of the contest, and we'll look into it. If the OCR tool has a major failure that requires a readjustment of the code, it is possible that we will miss an entire DR. In that case, that league will simply not be scored, and Arthen will announce that as soon as possible.
Since matching randomly chosen duty reports can wreak havoc on your standings, you are more than welcome to enter an alt instead of your main pirate. Keep in mind that duty reports of Learning will put you at a disadvantage, so make sure that your alt is yellow before the contest begins. If you win a prize, you may tell us at that time to deliver the prize to another pirate (presumably your main).

Clarifications
(Will be filled out as needed)

*Given that that is the Sunday before finals week for me, there is a small chance this will get rescheduled to the following weekend; I'm shooting for the 16th, though.
----------------------------------------
Tanonev on all oceans; currently exploring Meridian.
Puppetar by Tilinka
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Apollo at Mar 15, 2008 4:24:21 PM]
[Mar 4, 2008 4:02:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.alpha-slash.com [Link]  Go to top 
vnork

Re: Simon Says Duty Puzzle Bake-Off (March 16) (win a sloop!)

This sounds like a very fun event. I hope to be there! I wonder what other cool applications the OCR duty-report reader could have...

Also, are you running this using a grand frig set to swabbie ship transport?

-Vnork
[Edit 1 times, last edit by vnork at Mar 4, 2008 4:45:24 PM]
[Mar 4, 2008 4:36:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tanonev

Yes, it will be on a swabbied Grand Frig I'll be borrowing just for the event. (The swabbie ship transport is part of the reason we need the OCR...)
Puppetar by Tilinka
[Mar 4, 2008 4:55:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.alpha-slash.com [Link]  Go to top 
xqin

about the station thing, if you get into a lag, can you leave the station?
Dar on Emerald
[Mar 4, 2008 7:40:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
damagon

I am definitely going to be there, on an alt of course. I can't afford to get a poor on my main >.< ... (yes yes I know shush.)
Damagon
[Mar 4, 2008 7:53:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tanonev

Unfortunately, due to the fact that leaving the station can actually improve your score in the bake-off, I'm afraid we can't allow leaving the station under any circumstances. Given that this is a pilot run for a new event and the software is still very green, I'd rather not adapt it to allow for, say, only voiding your score for the league you lagged out or disconnected during; however, I'll definitely keep it in mind if/when I rerun this event (if it works well, I can send the software over to some Hunter friends so they can run it for you guys :P).

Incidentally, I'd appreciate it if you guys used...distinctive names for your alts. I have a feeling the OCR program will not be happy dealing with Ill, Illl, and Illll, nor may it appreciate a pirate named Mmmmmmmmmmm ;)
Puppetar by Tilinka
[Mar 4, 2008 8:13:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.alpha-slash.com [Link]  Go to top 
vnork

The game only lets you put 2 of the same letter in a row, when creating a pirate. Would llmnmnllmnmn be bad? =P

-Vnork
[Edit 1 times, last edit by vnork at Mar 4, 2008 8:28:24 PM]
[Mar 4, 2008 8:27:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tanonev

Actually, that name in particular wouldn't be so bad :P I'm mostly worried about names that look like substrings of other names. In any case, I don't expect this to be too much of a problem; if by some weird coincidence it happens, I'll patch in some scores manually. Just don't show up with half a dozen pathological names for the purposes of upsetting me :P
Puppetar by Tilinka
[Mar 4, 2008 9:44:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.alpha-slash.com [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

Randomly choosen targets?

Err ...

"Incredible". "Booch" (wha??? How do I drop my score that much that quickly?). "Incredible again" (one league to go from booch to incredible?)

Oh, wait -- if the sails, carp, and bilge are all booch, then that league will take a while ...
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Mar 9, 2008 3:24:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
tanonev

You're not expected to be able to hit all the targets. If you were, I'd have massive issues with ties on my hands. You do get partial credit for swinging your DR closer to the target, though.
Puppetar by Tilinka
[Mar 9, 2008 6:36:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.alpha-slash.com [Link]  Go to top 
Lizadabest

I was kind of worried about that, too. I usually don't lag, but recently I started lagging if I was on a pillage and it was deporting or porting.
[Mar 10, 2008 1:40:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ubahman

Simon says... Booch! (10 leagues in a row)

*After the event* Man! I went from ultimate to able and still didnt win! :(

Seems awesome. I'll see if I can come :D
Ubahman on Sage.
Blingbeard on Hunter.
Forever wanting to do voodoo with an Oceanmaster doll egg.
[Mar 11, 2008 7:09:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Markjd0

Question: Would we be aiming for Top of the incredible list? Top of the Good list etc, and bottem of the booching list?
Markjd,
Mutiny,
Sea Change,
LIMES, LIMES, LIMES!
[Mar 13, 2008 3:11:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tanonev

Your position on the duty report relative to the rest of the ship is irrelevant. You are scored solely based on what duty report word you receive.
Puppetar by Tilinka
[Mar 13, 2008 3:54:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.alpha-slash.com [Link]  Go to top 
marielking

This is still for the 16th, correct?
Docktarte of Sage Emerald Obsidian

[Mar 14, 2008 11:03:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tanonev

Yes, the event will be held on the 16th. I'll make sure to set my alarm so I'm awake in time :P
Puppetar by Tilinka
[Mar 15, 2008 1:40:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.alpha-slash.com [Link]  Go to top 
Crazy_rex

Noon Eastern time or Puzzle Pirates time, I don't want to miss it. :)
Blacksteel

Captain of Blacksteel's Buccaneers on the Sage Ocean
[Mar 15, 2008 12:13:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tanonev

It will be held at noon Puzzle Pirates time (the OP has an error; that should read PDT, not PST). Bleh, no editing of old posts :(
Puppetar by Tilinka
[Mar 15, 2008 2:16:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.alpha-slash.com [Link]  Go to top 
ubahman

Well I had a great time that event (and a great prize!) Hope you'll do another one like this soon.
Ubahman on Sage.
Blingbeard on Hunter.
Forever wanting to do voodoo with an Oceanmaster doll egg.
[Mar 16, 2008 2:29:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lastfarewell

Thanks for the fun! (and the sloop =P )
Lissanna of Sage
QUEEN of Illium Eternae
I type in run-on sentences :)

Dwizzles tells ye, "guys have weiners. girls have not weiners"
Dwizzles tells ye, "its not that hard of a concept"
[Mar 16, 2008 2:43:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lilymoon

Great event and thanks for the lovely ship! :D Lots of fun!
Faeree ~ Illustrious Wanderer on all oceans ~
Avvie by Tilinka!
Apollo wrote: 
(Is it wrong that I'm now just a tiny bit in love with Faeree's brother?)

[Mar 16, 2008 2:43:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Faeree [Link]  Go to top 
tanonev

The scoreboard has been finalized!

Sails:
First place: Cyanide (158 points)
Second place: Black (153 points)
Third place: Collthree / Nidhoeggr (148 points)
Third place (bookkeeping error): Martientje (146 points)

Carpentry:
First place: Ubahmate / Ubahman (149 points)
Second place: Lavinci (146 points)
Third place: Berseken (144 points)

Bilge:
First place: Faeree (148 points, 10 perfect targets, 1 perfect Incredible)
Second place: Qwerter (148 points, 10 perfect targets)
Third place: Faa / Rapportus (143 points)

Congratulations to all the winners, and thank you all for coming :)

------

Post-mortem: The first league results got clobbered early on, and they were added in at the end. One pirate was missing from the DR due to not being on station when I was adding in names, and one pirate was missing from the DR due to an OCR failure I'll look into (after finals week, naturally). Overall, I think it went fairly smooth, though it ran a bit longer than I thought it would.

EDIT: Thanks to Polly and Arthen for subsidizing the prizes :D
Puppetar by Tilinka
[Edit 1 times, last edit by tanonev at Mar 16, 2008 10:39:54 PM]
[Mar 16, 2008 3:16:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.alpha-slash.com [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates