• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 13
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5610 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
tanonev

Disjointed Sea Donkey, or 3x3x3x3x3x3x3 Reply to this Post

My screenshotting skills suck, so I couldn't get the clear the moment it happened, but this is clearly not a Sea Donkey under the cursor :P

I swapped the 3x3 after the water had dropped low enough for the crab to clear on its own. Since crabs don't get released until a swap occurs, it got released on that swap. But since crab clears have higher priority than regular clears, the crab clear occurred first, lining up the 5 3s underneath it. Then those 5 3s and the 3x3 cleared at the same time, which isn't in a cascade because nothing has cleared yet. Voila, 3x3x3x3x3x3x3! From the way the star meter filled, I think I got full points for it too.
----------------------------------------
Tanonev on all oceans; currently exploring Meridian.
Puppetar by Tilinka
[Feb 9, 2008 9:37:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.alpha-slash.com [Link]  Go to top 
Reluctant

Re: Disjointed Sea Donkey, or 3x3x3x3x3x3x3 Reply to this Post

My screenshotting skills suck, so I couldn't get the clear the moment it happened, but this is clearly not a Sea Donkey under the cursor :P

I swapped the 3x3 after the water had dropped low enough for the crab to clear on its own. Since crabs don't get released until a swap occurs, it got released on that swap. But since crab clears have higher priority than regular clears, the crab clear occurred first, lining up the 5 3s underneath it. Then those 5 3s and the 3x3 cleared at the same time, which isn't in a cascade because nothing has cleared yet. Voila, 3x3x3x3x3x3x3! From the way the star meter filled, I think I got full points for it too.

I didn't get it in /cr, but now that I see it:

Maybe you'll see me around on Sage. Probably not.
Amg, Lockerz invites available. Send me a message.
[Feb 9, 2008 9:49:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://Tout-Efusjon.info    Larry Bunsold 25 [Link]  Go to top 
sunshine771

ok now that's hot...and wow i can't type =p
<3 Spatty <3
Spatulamom of Sage <3

AV done by the awesome Rikko =)
[Feb 10, 2008 12:54:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Ah interesting, but it is a pearl 3x4 plus a simultaneous blue 3 cleared with the same move, so perhaps we have been overly restrictive in saying it's only a donkey if it's 3x3x3. (I.e. it looks like you cascaded into a donkey.)
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Feb 10, 2008 5:31:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tanonev

The 3x4 pearls are not part of the Sea Donkey, but the Super clear right after. Like I said, I'm bad at taking screenshots, so I couldn't get an image of the clear itself. The clears that made up the Sea Donkey are the vertical 3x3 under the cursor and the horizontal 3x3x3x3x3 below the crab on the left.

Though yes, a 3x4x4x3 counts as a Sea Donkey.

/e wonders whether a 3x3x3x6 would crash the game...
Puppetar by Tilinka
[Feb 10, 2008 7:06:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.alpha-slash.com [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Did you get a 3x4 message after the Sea Donkey one? I guess I'm wondering if the message for your first clear got pre-empted by a subsequent donkey?
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Feb 10, 2008 7:37:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tanonev

The order in which messages appeared was "Crab Cleared", "Sea Donkey", "Super." The 3x4 cleared as a part of the Super.

Maybe I should retry this with video recording :P I don't like having to hit Fn+Alt+Prt Sc for a screenshot :P
Puppetar by Tilinka
[Feb 10, 2008 8:34:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.alpha-slash.com [Link]  Go to top 
Tdeathblake

Question, how were you bilging while lazing?
Tdeathblake (Thinks he's the main)
Homunculus (Knows he's the main)

Give a man a fish and he''ll eat for a day, give a fish a man and he''ll eat for weeks.

Homemade avatar
[Feb 11, 2008 12:10:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tanonev

Canoneer (whose puzzle is the one pictured) is my alt; it was easier to set up with 6 colors :P
Puppetar by Tilinka
[Feb 11, 2008 1:34:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.alpha-slash.com [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

Question, how were you bilging while lazing?

This gave me a VERY good laugh. Well done.
Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Feb 12, 2008 8:28:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
da_ripper

Whoa. Is that a bug or an exploit? Because that is too cool.

Game over. Winner: Expel.
Antix says, "Expel just pikachu'd the charizard out of him"
Antix says, "Nice one"
Expel says, "Super effective"

Chimeravirus of Viridian.
[Feb 25, 2008 4:43:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tanonev

Whether or not it's a bug, I don't know; the game didn't explode when I set it off, so either OOO are really good coders and their code handles weird cases like this without them having to consider it, or they thought about it and decided that this was appropriate behavior (or both).

As for whether or not it's an exploit, I'd say the situations you can use it in are sufficiently rare and the setup sufficiently annoying that apart from the cool factor, it's not really a useful tactic. As such, there's not much to exploit.

Of course, I'd wait for a word from OOO on this before trying to pull this in the next bilging bake-off :P
Puppetar by Tilinka
[Feb 25, 2008 7:51:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.alpha-slash.com [Link]  Go to top 
ascorbate

Of course, I'd wait for a word from OOO on this before trying to pull this in the next bilging bake-off :P

Bilging bake-offs have falling water levels?

Unless the people running the bake-off start the event off in a ship with lots of bilge, there's no way to use this exploit.
Vnork flag officer chats, "I don't know about anyone else, but I have starfish related emergencies all the time"
[Feb 28, 2008 1:02:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates