• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 36
Posts: 36   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3567 times and has 35 replies Next Thread
54x

Re: /Me Reply to this Post

It is always possible that flag royals or OMs would for some hideous reason want to be able to emote in brodcasts, so the following is up for shooting down as soon as possible:

I can so imagine Cleaver emoting in many announcements, but this isn't really important for announcements. Why? Emote's only really needed where you're being social, because it is then you start wanting to talk about what you've done recently, or pretend to do things, etc...

To imagine why I don't think you need emotes in announcements, imagine /shout /emote :)
----------------------------------------
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Jun 23, 2004 10:50:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
adramolek

I mean, not that a slight color difference between /o and /crew wouldn't be nice, but... isn't this getting a little out of hand?

Solos tells you, Diamondblade, that she (Solos) is emoting giving you (Diamondblade) a cookie. This emotive tell is presented to you privately, long-distance, from afar.

Solos flag officeratatively emotifies to the flag that she (Solos) is now emoterizing to the flag that she has just emotificated giving Diamondblade a cookie. That emotivative tell was presented to Diamondblade privately, long-distance, from afar. Conversely, this meta-emotical tell is presented to you (the flag) publicly (as far as the flag goes), possibly long-distance, and therefore, possibly from afar, by the letter 8 and the number Red. Thank you for receiving this emote notification, and have a nice day. ARRR!

Now, I hate to be the party poopificator, but what's wrong with just seeing:

/me gives you a cookie.

?

Solos,
officeratatively emotificinizationizering poopificated parties since 2004.
The List: Where good suggestions go when they die.
More swords now thx.
CLICKY -> CLICK HERE TO CLAIM YOUR 100000 POE PRIZE! <- CLICKY
[Jun 24, 2004 3:07:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wnorman

adramolek wrote: 

/me gives you a cookie.

What's the purpose of emoting if it's just gonna display the original text command? It exists to add to the role-playing, and to allow us to do things, not just say that we're doing them.

Orac's summary = good stuff.
Shark
Captain of Ransack Marauders
Prince and Admiral of Silver Dawn

[size=9]Greenie says, "are you a rael shark/"
[Jun 24, 2004 4:48:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
adramolek

wnorman wrote: 
What's the purpose of emoting if it's just gonna display the original text command? It exists to add to the role-playing, and to allow us to do things, not just say that we're doing them.

That is incorrect. Emoting has a single, simple purpose: It does not allow us to do anything; rather, it allows us to convey the idea that we are doing something or describing ourselves. It actually does only allow us to say that we're doing things. As you said, of course, to add to the role-playing.

Does the following not convey this idea?

/me gives you a cookie.

It does. And therefore /me serves its purpose completely and correctly. It does not matter what the actual words are. The actual character strings displayed are irrelevant: as long as they are conveying the idea that they are intending to convey (the idea that you just performed an action), then there is no need for a change.

Let me ask you this:

Does "/me likes pillaging" mean to you that I like pillaging?

I'd be willing to bet that it does. In that case, what's the problem? Why change it? Why be more verbose, cluttering up the screen with various wordy expansions of "/me"? In this context, the point of language is not to sound pretty, it's to convey ideas as clearly and succinctly as possible (so that they fit on your screen). If it happens to look pretty as well then that's great -- although that's not really all that important when you remember why emoting exists in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I think I see what you are getting at. What you are saying is "if /me is just going to display /me then why make it a command at all", right? Honestly, I don't know why it is a command. I suppose that, since adding new commands is probably not that hard, having a /me command that prints some grammatically pretty text in certain contexts is just sort of an easy-to-implement, nice thing to have; albeit completely unnecessary.

But yeah, I agree with you, at least, if you insist on doing it differently, that Orac's wordings are the most concise way of stating the stuff. And even a lot of that can go away if you just change the color/shape of the text box.
The List: Where good suggestions go when they die.
More swords now thx.
CLICKY -> CLICK HERE TO CLAIM YOUR 100000 POE PRIZE! <- CLICKY
[Jun 24, 2004 11:38:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wnorman

Yes, I agree the purpose is to convey the emotion. But anytime the "/me" is shown, the inner workings of the chat mechanism are exposed and the illusion is shattered.

adramolek wrote: 

Does the following not convey this idea?

/me gives you a cookie.

Although this conveys the idea just fine, it more strongly conveys to me that someone has typed that they have given me a cookie.

I think we're in general agreement here though.
Shark
Captain of Ransack Marauders
Prince and Admiral of Silver Dawn

[size=9]Greenie says, "are you a rael shark/"
[Jun 24, 2004 2:44:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
skington

As someone who stays up way too late often, and then has to go through chat logs to make sure he didn't say something foolish, let me just say that a) Orac's summaries look good to me, and b) I don't want any more things that only obviously belong to a particular category of communication if you can see them on the screen. Flag officer and royalty chat are already too similar, to my mind; let's not create more confusion, please.
Leaddolphin, Captain of Serve No Porpoise, Valiant Prince on Cobalt. I want your Plaices!
The Vampire Muroni wrote: 
the hubby teases me when he catches me reading the back of shampoo bottles or the Thesaurus.

[Jun 24, 2004 2:56:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 36   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates