• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 27
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7184 times and has 26 replies Next Thread
LickMe

What's a grain bonus? Reply to this Post

What the heck is it? I've seen it a lot before but I never really paid attention to it until I read nemo's carpentry instuction thing.
----------------------------------------
You never really know what you have, until its gone.
Viridian: Diatain, Haven't played for a while
Midnight: Diatain, Unsubscribed
Last position:Captain
Greenie wrote: 
Did anyone see the invisible guys outside?

KYAH!
[Jun 13, 2004 7:15:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ayli

Re: What's a grain bonus? Reply to this Post

You get the grain bonus when all the pieces you used to fill a hole are aligned so the grain is horizontal. The pieces are properly aligned already when they appear in your toolbox, so you basically get the grain bonus if every piece you used was rotated a multiple of two times. Flipping pieces is allowed.
[size=10]Ruby: because telling your grandkids how you singlehandedly beat those three light blue brigands just isn't the same
[Jun 13, 2004 7:24:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Parka

Don't even bother with it
[Jun 13, 2004 7:25:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RedDog

It is when the grain of all the pieces of wood align in the puzzle you get a bonus. That is, you have not turned any pieces vertical. Flipping does not effect it, just turning. Accumulating points (even though we don't know what the points are) are what turns the hammer golden and sparkly and decides your stats.

Seasnake
Captain of the Flying Tigers, King of The Patrician's Flag
Fortunatly the seasnake rarely bites humans.

11 years and still flying the flag.
[Jun 13, 2004 7:29:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://seasnake.mysite.freeserve.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
RedDog

ayli wrote: 
You get the grain bonus when all the pieces you used to fill a hole are aligned so the grain is horizontal. The pieces are properly aligned already when they appear in your toolbox, so you basically get the grain bonus if every piece you used was rotated a multiple of two times. Flipping pieces is allowed.

You don't have to rotate at all.

Straight, flip, or rotate twice and the grain remains aligned.

Seasnake

[Jun 13, 2004 7:34:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://seasnake.mysite.freeserve.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
RedDog

Parka wrote: 

Do bother. It matters if you want to repair the ship faster and get good stats.

Seasnake

[Jun 13, 2004 7:36:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://seasnake.mysite.freeserve.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Parka

RedDog wrote: 
Parka wrote: 

Do bother. It matters if you want to repair the ship faster and get good stats.

Seasnake

Oh really?
[Jun 13, 2004 7:46:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

Check the carp top ten, Seasnake.
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Jun 13, 2004 8:05:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RedDog

Gotagota wrote: 
Check the carp top ten, Seasnake.

Check out the top three on the German server. I never carp on here much.

Seasnake

[Jun 13, 2004 8:10:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://seasnake.mysite.freeserve.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
ramirojr

Parka is 2nd, last I checked, on the American server. The American server has tons more than the German one. Seasnake, this isn't saying that you aren't good, because I'm sure that you are, but Parka rocks, and I trust his word about the carpentry puzzle.
My backpacking buddy wrote: 
Remember that time we went through the Hall o'Precedents, then refused t'do it again? That Summer were the best.

[Jun 13, 2004 8:30:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

The way Peghead described it, way back when, was that the easiest way to think about it was that the grain bonus adds one level to the finished hole, so "A fair job" with the grain bonus would score the same as a "Craftsmanship" and a "Craftsmanship" with grain bonus would score the same as a "Masterpiece."

Parka's point, which I agree with, is that once you are good enough that you get mostly masterpieces, and never anything less than a craftsmanship, trying to keep the grain bonus becomes a waste of time, when compared to getting those stretches of masterpiece^5 and up.

However, at the lower levels, when you are getting fair jobs, with some craftsmanships, and the odd masterpiece nowand again, keeping an eye out for the grain bonus can be handy.
[Jun 13, 2004 3:19:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Parka wrote: 

Correction: Don't go out of your way to get it. If you can get the grain bonus with very little effort, go for it, as it's still a bonus, you just have to make sure you don't waste more time getting than bonus than the bonus is actually worth.

Flipping does not effect it, just turning.

If you want to get the grain bonus, you can "flip" the piece using the right mouse button, or you can turn it an EVEN number of time. You'll be able to see when the grain goes vertical, anyway. Is, Ns, Ls, and Ys are missing rotated versions, so it is impossible to get the grain bonus if you need to have a vertical of any of these pieces to finish your hole.
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Jun 13, 2004 3:44:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
RedDog

ramirojr wrote: 
Parka is 2nd, last I checked, on the American server. The American server has tons more than the German one. Seasnake, this isn't saying that you aren't good, because I'm sure that you are, but Parka rocks, and I trust his word about the carpentry puzzle.

The point is that the puzzles can be completed perfectly with the grain bonus intact.
I'm sure if Parka could complete most of his puzzles with the gain bonus intact he would in fact be number one. (Assuming that he is ignoring it, going by his advice.) For those who don't get it perfect most of the time the grain bonus is important because we need every point we can to make up for just getting "Craftsmanship".

The reason I pointed out my position on the German server (apart from the "who? so what?" factor) is because as Captain in my crew I can't even remember the last time I did the carping puzzle and my sats on here are a lot lower than they could be if I was to try. As I proved to myself on the German server where I have got myself to number one in every skill (even distilling; a skill which I have yet to try on here). I have since been knocked off the top slots in everything, but still have a few top tens even though I haven't done much on there for a few weeks.

To be totally honest I don't give a monkey's about stats (even mine) and that is my point; just because someone is good at one of the puzzles doesn't mean they know everything about it and what works for one player does not nessarily work for someone else. I see it in the discussions on sword fighting, which is the best sword? There are so many factors, the main one being who are you fighting and what sword they have and is it a PVP or a botts in a sea battle or a brawl and what sword your team mate has. The answer is almost always subjective and in this case I think it most positively is.

No disrespect to Parka but no-one is perfect and although we can't see the scoring behind the puzzles, "Points make prizes" in this game.

54X is correct when he said

Don't go out of your way to get it. If you can get the grain bonus with very little effort, go for it, as it's still a bonus, you just have to make sure you don't waste more time getting than bonus than the bonus is actually worth.

But what I say also is don't mess up the grain bonus when you don't need to either. Flip but only rotate if you have to. It saves time too.

Regards Seasnake

[Jun 13, 2004 8:49:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://seasnake.mysite.freeserve.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
54x

But what I say also is don't mess up the grain bonus when you don't need to either. Flip but only rotate if you have to. It saves time too.

Your point appears to be "You can probably learn to keep the grain bonus in most situations without mangling up your general style, with some effort"

While this is true, it'll cost you a lot of time, and cause a lot of confusion, while you were doing it, and it may be more profitable to just improve your skill at the other parts of the puzzle.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Jun 13, 2004 11:17:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
shockedfrog

If you're playing at a higher resolution, you probably can't even see the grain anyway.
[Jun 14, 2004 10:38:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Holy hell, I can't believe Parka is one of my competitors there. DO bother with it. Bother very much!

Oh, and Seasnake next time just Edit your last post instead of posting three consecutive times. =P
[Jun 15, 2004 1:09:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RedDog

Shuranthae wrote: 
Oh, and Seasnake next time just Edit your last post instead of posting three consecutive times. =P

You are right, but it was getting close to the 500 post count and I cheated a bit.

Shockedfrog wrote: 
If you're playing at a higher resolution, you probably can't even see the grain anyway.

Not a problem if your eyesight is up to it. I run 1600*1024 32 bit colour(1600*1200 is the wrong shape for the monitor) and can get four clients open on the screen at once on my 21 inch.

Seasnake's Tip for carping

Carp is the one puzzle you can practice without not only playing the game but without a computer either. Cut loads of carp piece shapes from thin card and you can practice anywhere. Start with the square and try to make as many 'Masterpieces' you can. You may wish to draw the resulting paterns to keep for future reference. If you know how to get a good few 'Masterpieces' it will soon start to be second nature and you will almost not need to think while carping. Getting to 'Ultimate' and the top ten will still require full concentration and effort though. The best players can probably carp in their sleep but you need to catch up with them first.

Seasnake

[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://seasnake.mysite.freeserve.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
54x

I'd imagine if you're clever, you could probably practice distilling or bilging, too :)
from Midnight.
[Jun 15, 2004 5:36:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Vurogj

RedDog wrote: 
The best players can probably carp in their sleep but you need to catch up with them first.

Seasnake

Quoted fer accuracy.

/em was still scorin' consistent excellents after 23 hours of Whitefire's pillage, at least 16 of which was spent on carp.

Edit fer contribution to thread : I don't bother with grain bonuses, and have never made an arch top 10 to my knowledge. I'm ultimate, I'm happy.
Older, crankier,
still haz da phat haiku skillz.
Tawnee on Midnight.
Apollo says, "Tawnee, I should have known you were involved."
[Jun 16, 2004 3:37:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    vurogj    vurojg [Link]  Go to top 
Parka

Pfftt!! To grain bonus says I
[Jun 16, 2004 4:00:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScurvyBee

Grain bonus is just that...a bonus. If I had to choose between getting enough masterpieces to score an incredible by the first league point or getting fewer masterpieces with the grain bonus, I'd go with the larger number of masterpieces. The grain bonus isn't necessary to chains, and chains are why I'm Ultimate at carp.

But eh, if you want to take the time to do it, knock yourself out. Play how best suits your style, and don't worry about rankings.
Iole, Retired Flirt of the Cult of the Red Mantis
Friendly Looterati
[Jun 16, 2004 4:09:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gigahurtz

yes, the girl is rite
Lormidia---Mercenary for Hire
[Jun 16, 2004 4:28:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rubby

Parka wrote: 
Pfftt!! To grain bonus says I

[Jun 16, 2004 6:14:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Um, you can get an Incred and Ultimate without ever going higher than a chain of 3, possibly 2, if you get grain bonuses.
[Jun 16, 2004 10:03:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lallaria

Howabout....

It works *both* ways. Choose your style, stick with it.

Some people SF with sprinkles, some with swords. Noone's saying one is better than the other.

I'm of the "don't bother with it" side, myself, but I know that that's just my style.

*shrugs*
*hands out cookies*
Lallaria
[size=10]Retired
[Jun 16, 2004 11:10:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Lallaria [Link]  Go to top 
RedDog

At least we got Parka's posts into double figures we this little disagreement. ;)

Seasnake

[Jun 16, 2004 6:43:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://seasnake.mysite.freeserve.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

I want to see a MP^31 with grain bonus in the carp record page.
Re: Market on Scurvy Reef:
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
And it wasn't even 9 spaces from the arrow :-).
[Jun 17, 2004 12:26:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates