• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 57
Posts: 57   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 13427 times and has 56 replies Next Thread
Jacktheblack

Re: Shooting in seabattle Reply to this Post

Yeah I've done some checking on my own too, it is 20... I found that out the hard way when I only put 18 in a red WF in Ruby...
[Jan 21, 2005 3:46:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacktheblackypp    samergamer [Link]  Go to top 
Jacktheblack

Yeah I've done some checking on my own too it is 20... I found that out the hard way when I only put 18 in a red WF in Ruby...
[Jan 21, 2005 3:46:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacktheblackypp    samergamer [Link]  Go to top 
RobertDonald

Edited in new extrapolations based on 20/12, however it may no longer be 12 large to max a WF either, so we'll see.
----------------------------------------
Quizzical wrote: 
If winners and losers are arbitrarily chosen by ringers or OM's, then it is no longer even a game. It's just clicking random buttons hoping to be arbitrarily chosen, which becomes stupid really fast.

[Jan 21, 2005 5:24:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kaosfere

It is not. Based on the last two frig pillages I've helped run, it now takes 14 large to max a WF.
I alone have the flet!
[Jan 24, 2005 4:27:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.devzero.org    kaosfere    Torvalds    871887 [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Wrong!
And they've never changed the HPs of any ships since Alpha to my knowledge.
[Jan 24, 2005 4:58:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kaosfere

Shuranthae wrote: 
Wrong!

It's not 14? It's certainly not 12, unless I've completely lost me mind.
I alone have the flet!
[Jan 24, 2005 5:31:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.devzero.org    kaosfere    Torvalds    871887 [Link]  Go to top 
Flak_88

14 is incorrect, now if I remember how to post a screenshot (as in how i upload to my verizion web space). I just took 2 frigs, shot 13 into one, 12 into other. Looking at my screen right now the frig with 13 shots into it is 5 blocks short of max, and the one i put 12 shots into is 1 row plus 2 blocks short of max. It appears it would take 15-16 large shot, although I don't want to spend over 1k again hehe to check at next level.
Flakcannon, on all English Oceans, except that imposter on Malachite.
Farming, cleaning up your poo, and making you drink it.
[Jan 24, 2005 12:21:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    habhabhabhab [Link]  Go to top 
Rick9109

Has anyone worked out ship to ship collission damage? It seems that if you enter a wind and you collide with another sloop side to side, that you don't receive a damage penalty.
Rome
Pirates of the Damned, Crimson Tide.
I don't care what it did to them, the game's been good to me.
[Jan 24, 2005 8:21:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rick9109    cactusrome [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Rick9109 wrote: 
Has anyone worked out ship to ship collission damage? It seems that if you enter a wind and you collide with another sloop side to side, that you don't receive a damage penalty.

That just sounds silly, but I don't quite understand how the collision damage system works. I'm assuming it works similar to Rock damage in that the numbers work off percentages of total Ship HPs instead of definite numbers (like the way cannonballs do), but I'm still at a lost really.

What's even more confusing is the fact that two ships of the same type don't seem to always have the same percentage. For example, Sloops seem to do 5% to one another, but two GFs colliding looks like they do around 12-13%, so it just seems like a total pain to even bother trying to figure out.
[Jan 25, 2005 4:57:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

I'm pretty sure that sloops and cutters do 1/2 a small ball to the other ship on rams or rocks.

I'd suspect that brig-level ships do 1/2 a medium ball to the other ship.

What's 1/2 of a large ball to a GF?
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Jan 25, 2005 6:02:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Wrong.
[Jan 25, 2005 6:23:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Flak_88

There was a time I engaged a brigand sloop, which for 2 turns (at least) was in a wind which bashed it into a large rocks 4 times each turn (it didn't move). When I grappled later it only had 2 lines of damage and I think I shot it once or twice (ok it's like a month ago so bad memory, but thought it was weird). Possibly winds cause damage differently but this is not based on any testing.
Flakcannon, on all English Oceans, except that imposter on Malachite.
Farming, cleaning up your poo, and making you drink it.
[Jan 25, 2005 6:25:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    habhabhabhab [Link]  Go to top 
Rick9109

Shuranthae wrote: 
Rick9109 wrote: 

That just sounds silly, but I don't quite understand how the collision damage system works. I'm assuming it works similar to Rock damage in that the numbers work off percentages of total Ship HPs instead of definite numbers (like the way cannonballs do), but I'm still at a lost really.

What's even more confusing is the fact that two ships of the same type don't seem to always have the same percentage. For example, Sloops seem to do 5% to one another, but two GFs colliding looks like they do around 12-13%, so it just seems like a total pain to even bother trying to figure out.

It definitely shocked me that I didn't have any iron from the ram, just the iron from the three shots I took. It was impossible to judge if the other person took damage from the hit because they already had max shot damage.
Rome
[Jan 25, 2005 6:52:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rick9109    cactusrome [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Hmm. Ship types and total damage you took? That doesn't sound right though.
[Jan 25, 2005 7:37:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rick9109

Shuranthae wrote: 
Hmm. Ship types and total damage you took? That doesn't sound right though.

sloop vs sloop, about 25% damage, however I was not using a carper and the battle was a bit long, which makes it a lousy test study, I know \ =
Rome
[Jan 25, 2005 7:46:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rick9109    cactusrome [Link]  Go to top 
DaveBarker

It would be my *guess* that ships have a weight, and when ship A collides with ship B, ship A deals damage points to ship B equal to the weight of ship A.

I would also assume, that weight (in this discussion) is determined purely by ship class.

However, I would also guess that hitting a rock is the same as hitting a ship of your weight, so who knows... (helpful, see?)
Disko says, "cuz you8 need t eb maSTER OR BETER"
[Jan 25, 2005 11:31:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Christoban

I have always been under the impression that the rammer does more damage to the ramee than he takes himself, all other factors being equal.

But maybe that's because I like ramming boats.

If the 'weight' theory above is correct, I wouldn't be surprised to find out it had to do with the total weight of the boat (including the commods in the hold), and not just the "design displacement." (to add a nautical term to the conversation)

That might be why it's difficult and confusing to figure out.
game design wrote: 
..let's see, we have thing A and thing B, with thing B currently not implemented yet. Thing A leads to people stabbing themselves in the eye, as does thing B... but since A already exists..

[Jan 25, 2005 11:57:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AquaDrake

I've seen that sloops hitting sloops does equal damage to both.

My hold was empty at the time.

(well, rum and shot, that's "empty", right?)
Maybe "historical" dragons were pterosaurs?
http://www.livescience.com/animals/090107-pterosaur-flight.html

"No plain fanfold paper could hold that fractal Puff --
He grew so fast no plotting pack could shrink him far enough.&quot
[Jan 26, 2005 12:58:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Christoban wrote: 
I wouldn't be surprised to find out it had to do with the total weight of the boat (including the commods in the hold), and not just the "design displacement." (to add a nautical term to the conversation)

I'm quoting this for a reason, not necessarily because it's right though. Someone gets a Shur point if they figure out why.

I could have sworn that a larger ship ramming the same ship type does/take more damage than a smaller ship ramming the same ship type. I remember several GF battles where mine collided with another and we both took about 7 blocks of damage, but last night I had two WFs collide and they both only had 3 blocks, so maybe I'm wrong. Then again, it was a really odd collision that only happened because a Rock was involved, so...
[Jan 26, 2005 2:04:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Smackey

Shuranthae wrote: 
Christoban wrote: 
I wouldn't be surprised to find out it had to do with the total weight of the boat (including the commods in the hold), and not just the "design displacement." (to add a nautical term to the conversation)

I'm quoting this for a reason, not necessarily because it's right though. Someone gets a Shur point if they figure out why.

I could have sworn that a larger ship ramming the same ship type does/take more damage than a smaller ship ramming the same ship type. I remember several GF battles where mine collided with another and we both took about 7 blocks of damage, but last night I had two WFs collide and they both only had 3 blocks, so maybe I'm wrong. Then again, it was a really odd collision that only happened because a Rock was involved, so...

I don't know why, but it seems that War Brig - War Brig collisions take more damage (Not SF Blocks) than Sloop/Sloop for whatever reason, or I'm seeing something that doesn't exist in blockades.

Also, I believe there is some cofusion involving rocks/hiting oceanside. As far as I know, no matter what ship you're in, it does 3blocks of damage per hit. Jacktheblack, RD, and Whitefire disagree with me here, so maybe they can expand what they believe.
"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal."- Friedrich Hayek
[Jan 26, 2005 2:19:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Smackey wrote: 
I don't know why, but it seems that War Brig - War Brig collisions take more damage (Not SF Blocks) than Sloop/Sloop for whatever reason, or I'm seeing something that doesn't exist in blockades.

Also, I believe there is some cofusion involving rocks/hiting oceanside. As far as I know, no matter what ship you're in, it does 3blocks of damage per hit. Jacktheblack, RD, and Whitefire disagree with me here, so maybe they can expand what they believe.

Yeah, I noticed that on a War Brig and Grand Frig before hence why I think larger ships do a larger percentage of damage and deal more block damage than smaller ones (like Sloops).

And Rock/Edge collisions do 3 blocks.
[Jan 26, 2005 2:31:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Smackey

Dude, we agree!
"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal."- Friedrich Hayek
[Jan 26, 2005 2:36:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Hey, there's a difference between agreeing and being right together. The latter I have no choice about. =P
[Jan 26, 2005 2:44:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sirATthebox

Im likeing the weight idea and ,to be honest, we all know that it cant be a fixed "class v class" raito - right? i mean ... that would be too obvious ... ().

It could be some realy "hard" equasion like:

-2A-2B
---------- =D (A being the weight rammer, B being the weight of the
2(A+B) "ramee" and D being the dammage to B)

(A GUESS! DONT USE THIS!!!!)
This may explain why sloops do .5 of a small dmg each to eachother

Also, It seems to depend on where you hit the other ship. hitting them on the side of the ship seems to do you less dammage to you, and more to them. If you have a bigger ship. Why elce would three rings bother to work out a weight for cocunuts?! :P

Obviously then all that we would have to do is make a table of mins and maxes (pun) of what which ship can take from each. ( 2 sets of vairables "A" + "B")

Mabe the Cannon balls work on a simalar format, but what we need to do is find a pattern, if LCBs do the same as 2 SCBs, then that is great. And MCB's are 4/3 (1+1/3) of SCBs it makes it easier to work out dammages in terms of "SCBs".

Mabe there is a "HP" phormat, and I find the extreemly likly. Mainly because when a ship has 0HP (or less) it is maxed, easy! I also believe that the INITAL WEIGHT of a vessel is DIRECTLY PROPORTIONAL to the HP it has.

So, say a sloop has... say ... 60HP, it takes 6SCB's ... so a SCB does 10HP, MCB does 13.3R LCBs do 20HP each ....
Am I right, or am I right?!
(Plz say im right)
... But there is one problem ......... I cant be bothered to get out calculator and test my theory. Its too late in the day and I've already pillied thrice .... and I dont want to over-extend the post!
...I hope Im right! :D
I hope you have fun with your calculators!
[Feb 5, 2007 11:13:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Er... the last post in this thread was over two years ago, and the ramming rules have been changed since then anyway.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Feb 5, 2007 11:17:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

Not only that, but the HP and damage levels are known and understood at this point -- check the wiki.

Last I saw, a ram did as much damage as hitting a rock. To the other ship, anyways.

(If you were really interested, the old ram rules from way back when were that the newer ship in the size class would push the older ship in the size class.)
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Feb 5, 2007 6:23:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

If you ram a rock, you take the damage from a ram of your own ship class. If you ram another ship, they take the damage from a ram of your ship class, and you take the damage of a ram from their ship class.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Feb 7, 2007 10:17:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 57   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates