• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Thread Type: Sticky Thread
Total posts in this thread: 197
Posts: 197   Pages: 7   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 93358 times and has 196 replies Next Thread
Patetch

Re: Blog questions and topic suggestions Reply to this Post

My questions are probably more for the developers but I would still be interested in various opinions.

When a new release is in the works, is it really aggravating that people snoop in the folders and start dropping vague references (not outright spoilers) or do you just sort of smile indulgently? In other words, are you the parents that don't want the kids to see their Christmas presents ahead of time or are you the ones that "accidentally" leave things slightly uncovered and delight in their discovery?

What trophy took the longest from release to the time the requirements were fairly accurately nailed down and described on the YPPedia? (Or which one was the most interesting to watch the theories fly until something was proved?) Have you ever wanted to make a totally random trophy just to baffle people?

I am sure there is a lot of discussion before anything is implemented, how often do ideas / suggestions come up on the forums that had not been brought up before?

How in the world do you manage to read all the threads in GD? Maybe this can't be answered, but does someone on the development team actually go through and read every single post in GD? (Or maybe someone else goes through and sums up?) A lot of times I see really good ideas in the middle of an otherwise debate intense thread, and I wonder if they get seen. (I know a lot of ideas do - I have seen them implemented.)

Finally a burning question (the one that if nothing else gets answered I want to know) that I have had and I see that someone else wants to know...

What is the "Jobbing with a Crew" option for on the noticeboard? All the specific voyage types are covered and recruiting is not the same as jobbing.
----------------------------------------
Pletoo of Sage
[Aug 11, 2008 3:15:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
actreal

What trophy took the longest from release to the time the requirements were fairly accurately nailed down and described on the YPPedia? (Or which one was the most interesting to watch the theories fly until something was proved?) Have you ever wanted to make a totally random trophy just to baffle people?

/e predicts the Ringer response:

Jinxed Idol. Jinxed Idol. Jinxed Idol. <cue Ringers' cruel laughter>
Donall of Hunter

[Aug 11, 2008 4:51:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Destijl3

Finally a burning question (the one that if nothing else gets answered I want to know) that I have had and I see that someone else wants to know...

What is the "Jobbing with a Crew" option for on the noticeboard? All the specific voyage types are covered and recruiting is not the same as jobbing.

I got that one covered.

Jobbing with a crew is just a way for crews to recruit, really. Your offer stands for a couple of minutes (10 or so, if i recall correctly) described in yppedia as "In addition to pillaging, this tab on the notice board is also used to post jobbing notices for general jobbing within a crew"
There is nothing more to it, really.
Imnotmexican
[Aug 11, 2008 11:23:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    I'd like to restate my right to bear arms! [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Jobbing with a crew is just a way for crews to recruit, really. Your offer stands for a couple of minutes (10 or so, if i recall correctly) described in yppedia as "In addition to pillaging, this tab on the notice board is also used to post jobbing notices for general jobbing within a crew"
There is nothing more to it, really.

But then technically it is not jobbing with a crew but rather joining it, and it makes much more sense to join a crew that you have actually spent time with. Also, the section you quoted comes from a general description of the noticeboard and is really just describing the voyages tab, not the specific option of "Jobbing with a Crew."
So I think the question still stands, with the added part of: "If that is what it is, then why doesn't it say so, and why do we need it anyhow?"

/end derail
Pletoo of Sage
[Aug 11, 2008 11:39:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Destijl3

Oh but it does say what it actually does.

It doesn't autojoin you full. You are first jobbed, then you can or not be joined by the one that put the offer up.

Really just another type of dockpressing, that is less invasive. Probably implemented to somewhat stop that behavior, too.

But sure, an official answer could be cool.
Imnotmexican
[Aug 12, 2008 1:37:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    I'd like to restate my right to bear arms! [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

Any chance we can get some blog content on this? Has game design policy evolved towards rewarding people more based on luck and less on skill? If so, can you explain the process of making this decision? How do you feel the game is balanced now? Does the game too heavily favor the extremely skilled?

I appreciate the explanation of the tiered prizes from puzzle competitions, and would always love to get as much insight on game design policies and decisions as possible. These are the most fun for me to read. :D
Cire
Purple Squid Brigade, Inglorious Fandango

Nemo says, "Cire has figured me out..."

[Edit 1 times, last edit by HiimEric2001 at Aug 12, 2008 5:56:31 PM]
[Aug 12, 2008 5:22:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IVdripper

Dear Mr. Hypnos,

I would like to suggest a blog explaining why the sub oceans cannot go to 24 hr/character labor. I have seen some explanations in the past that frankly, I thought didn't hold water. After reading your post and explanation about Game Design and the Foraging puzzle, I would like to see a similar explanation on the labor issue. Lack of labor is probably the biggest problem on the sub oceans and one of the biggest complaints I hear all the time from pirates of all standings. So... there is my request. Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,
Ms. Dripper

IVdripper/IVdripperone

"They sicken of the calm who know the storm."
-- Dorothy Parker
[Aug 14, 2008 8:47:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    On the porch, with my friends, drinking brandy,    watching the sea, and talking 'bout the good ol' days. [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

and would always love to get as much insight on game design policies and decisions as possible. These are the most fun for me to read. :D
Agreed. I also enjoy reading about the 'whys' of decisions and getting glimpses of design intents (after all it is really hard to give feedback on whether something is working if we don't know what the purpose was.)

One thing I would really like to know about is the decision to restrict a swabbie's ability to gun to the navy. I understand that this is a social game and it should always be better to have people on board, but with the casual play aspect, that is not always practical. There are of course several factors that would need to be taken into account so that one would always make more money with people than with swabbies, but if they were available for hire then voyages would not go sour due to sudden jobber drought.

I've said it often, I am terrible at bnav, but I probably could get better if there were a more convenient way to practice. I have literally spent hours on the bnav mission simply sailing back and forth and only getting one or two spawns. On my own ship, however, it seems that I can get attacked 5 times in one league. I am so bad that I get really stressed out if I have jobbers on board, (even if they are hearties) but I simply can't handle bnav and gun by myself.

With the arrival of the foraging puzzle, which I really enjoy, it would be nice to finally take one of my ships out of port for something other than memming (yes, I know, I could hire someone else to do it but that sort of defeats the purpose.)

I have often wondered why bnav and gun, the two key elements for Puzzle Pirates that everything else pretty much revolves around, are the least puzzle-like of all the games, in fact I would not call them puzzles at all.
Pletoo of Sage
[Aug 15, 2008 8:30:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

I have often wondered why bnav and gun, the two key elements for Puzzle Pirates that everything else pretty much revolves around, are the least puzzle-like of all the games, in fact I would not call them puzzles at all.

I would definitely call Bnav a puzzle. Gunning on the other hand...

Nemo wrote: 
Oh, and, not to pick on you, but Pac-Man isn't a puzzle game. It's an arcade game. I point this out because a lot of people who suggest puzzles don't notice the differences. If a game is more about your reflexes than about your strategy, it's probably not a puzzle. (Note that gunning isn't really a puzzle game. Which is a shame...)

Cire
Purple Squid Brigade, Inglorious Fandango

Nemo says, "Cire has figured me out..."

[Aug 15, 2008 8:58:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

I would definitely call Bnav a puzzle.
Nah, it is much more of a strategy game with puzzle elements. A puzzle pits you against itself, not an opponent. If bnav were simply about using move tokens to get around obstacles to a certain location as efficiently as possible, then it would be a puzzle, but an oponent adds more strategic elements, and for many of us, much more reflex / reaction than planning.
Pletoo of Sage
[Aug 15, 2008 9:35:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

I am going to post another topic suggestion and then I plan on being quiet for a while.

I am curious as to whether there is any talk about taking another look at the doubloon system. It seems to me as a player, that the differences between blue and green oceans are widening with each release. Having to choose between playing the puzzles and buying stuff makes a dub very valuable in my eyes. Since I chose to buy the badges to play the puzzles, I now only log on to Sage when I know I can play long enough to justify the cost of a badge day. To me, that sort of defeats the purpose of the whole "casual play" aspect.

I do feel that things should generally be more expensive on the green oceans, but it seems to me that it needs to be rebalanced somewhat. Personally, I think it would alleviate things a lot if badges only counted when actually used (for example, going on 1 or more SMHs in one day would use the bravery badge but logging on to pillage / craft / shopkeep / chat / etc. would not count as a log on day for that badge. People already do this to some extent by having Atlantis alts, crafting alts, and so forth with each alt only holding the needed badge so other ones don't get used.

The last few updates have seemed to be geared towards minimizing alt use, and this just might be another area. On the other hand, the doubloon system might be working exactly as desired - at any rate, I think it would be interesting to get more insight here.

Oh, and on a similar track... any chance that non-subs could at least wear boots now? Seems like there is enough advantages to subscribing that this wouldn't tip the scales much. :D

*Yes, I know. Believe me if I were in the position to do so - I would simply become a subscriber.

On a much lighter note...

I always enjoy finding out which YPP games various staff members really enjoy and which they just are not so good at. I think it would be fun to see some sort of ranking list. Who on staff is the best carper or worst swordfighter and so forth?
Pletoo of Sage
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Patetch at Aug 16, 2008 9:35:52 PM]
[Aug 16, 2008 9:22:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kotetsu534

We want to embarrass our dear OMs/devs, now, would we? :p

/e wonders which has the most Ulties...
Nomura, SO of Innocent, Member of Crimson Tide, Midnight.
[Aug 20, 2008 2:49:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lorenith

Im really just curious if anyone special in the office did the monkey laughing/monkeying about for the forage puzzle. Probably not a great topic for a whole blog, but a nice thing to throw in, in passing. :P
Lorenith-Sage
[Sep 3, 2008 12:47:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://lorenith.deviantart.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
yaypuzzlez

Im really just curious if anyone special in the office did the monkey laughing/monkeying about for the forage puzzle. Probably not a great topic for a whole blog, but a nice thing to throw in, in passing. :P

You mean the sound effects? I remember asking this long ago about sound effects in game (think it was a tell) and was told that Three Rings buy sounds effects from other company.
I am Capberry | Rumbleboy.

Retired.
[Sep 4, 2008 4:58:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cephalopod
Developer

You mean the sound effects? I remember asking this long ago about sound effects in game (think it was a tell) and was told that Three Rings buy sounds effects from other company.

They actually come from a variety of sources; some of the sounds were produced completely in-house, some are specially contracted from a sound company, and some are purchased from various sound libraries.

And then there's various levels of tweaking we'll do in-house to any or all of those. (For instance, the monkey noise in question came from a much longer stretch of stock audio we purchased, so cropping out an appropriate bit is pretty trivial. The netting noise in treasure haul, on the other hand, involved a whole bunch of mucking about with speed, pitch and the like from what was originally a recording of a bow being drawn)

That said, we haven't yet reached the point of rubbing chunks of raw meat together in the grocery store to make aliens walk. But once I can come up with a way to justify it & write it off as a business expense, you know where I'll be.
[Sep 8, 2008 11:25:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fanta

That said, we haven't yet reached the point of rubbing chunks of raw meat together in the grocery store to make aliens walk. But once I can come up with a way to justify it & write it off as a business expense, you know where I'll be.

Dude, you could totally use something like that for zombie noises. Then, along with some argh noises and whatnot, and some other ghastly and bone rattling noises for skellies, you could have the ambient music for islands infested with zombies and skellies be replaced by ambient sounds of zombies and skellies. That'd be totally cool.
Pleun,
First Mate of Monkey Militia, TO in Carpe Noctem, Midnight ocean,
owner of the Dainty Dolphin and the Mystical Dragon.

Avatar made from artwork by Kagaya
[Sep 9, 2008 1:49:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
seb_long_uk

OOO seems to have plenty of experience in making zombie noises.... *hint hint*
Domokun
Avatar by the incredible Tilinka
[Sep 9, 2008 2:23:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    My other sloop is a Gold/Gold rename [Link]  Go to top 
blissbabe

OOO seems to have plenty of experience in making zombie noises.... *hint hint*

What, you mean the whole thing how zombies moan?
I mean, I didn't go there.
Blackdress.
The Wise Romtu wrote: 
A quote is a fragment of the soul that flutters through the breeze like dominoes. Grasp it too tightly, and it will reach critical mass. One cannot own ones words.

[Sep 9, 2008 3:56:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.myspace.com/theroseline [Link]  Go to top 
DeeDeeIam

Topic suggestions:

- The Gender-Bender Phenomenon! He-She-It?
- New gaming possibilities with increased mobility and the Evernet
- Hot trends of recent complaints/petitions?
- The "Games are Art" debate
- People's need to bash the front-runners (individually or a company level)
DeeDeeIam, Siren's Song-Sage
Illium Eternae ;)
[Sep 10, 2008 8:21:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

As posted as a comment in my J entry...

While I'm here, K is in planning, and you can help. In K, I will be answering questions - about myself, the game, life in general. You may ask any question you like (although I retain the right not to answer all of them!). There's a catch, though - in order to ask your question and get it answered, you must reveal a bit of information about yourself - how serious or how trivial is your choice, but you must share something. When I answer the question, I will first give your name and information, then your question and my response, so whatever you do, don't reveal personal information that you wouldn't want public! If you have a question you want me to include, please PM me on the forum.
I look forward to hearing from you - by PM, please!
[Oct 13, 2008 2:32:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
_shado_

Link to the discussion thread of my Suggestion.

I will post it here, in any case.

Forum Terminology
Don't understand what someone else has said? Try looking below...

Thread - A thread is a topic in a forum.

Post - A post is a reply/comment to a thread. For instance, you are reading the first post in this thread. Therefore, if you want to comment on what someone says, click "Reply to this Post", and not "New Thread". If you want to make your own topic, then use New Thread. Before creating your own thread, try searching it. It might've been already suggested/answered/posted and creating a thread with the same topic is a waste of space. If what you're going to post hasn't been written/suggested/asked, then and only then, you can add a new thread.

Spam - Spam refers to a post that is irrelevant, or does not contribute to the topic. An example of this is posting "OK" - it adds nothing to the topic, and is a waste of space, and is disapproved of. However, if someone is spamming, please tell them nicely, and do not start...

Flaming - Flaming is where a user, or several users, insult or criticise other posters without good reason. It's alright to criticise - "I disagree with you, because <logical reason>" is perfectly acceptable, but "lol u r noob u r wrng" is not.

Bump - A "bump" is where a user posts in a topic that has been inactive for a long time, which causes it to "bump" up to the top of the forum list. Unless there is a good reason for it (to add more to a discussion if things change, for instance), it is frowned upon - try not to "bump" threads that haven't been replied in a period of three days, unless you have something important or relevant to say. Bumping to say "lol u got banned" is an example of both spam, and poor bumping.

Troll - A person that hijacks a thread in an attempt to irritate people. Trolls add little insight to a thread and tend to be aggressive towards other posters.

De-rail - A post that veers the topic of the thread off on a tangent.

Postcount ++ - Put at the end of a message to indicate that your post adds little or no value to the thread, with the basic premise to boost the posters post count. The "++" symbol is found in some programming languages and indicates an increment of 1 to a value. The term is usually written tongue and cheek.

Why should I use grammar and good spelling?
When you are talking to other people on a forum, you are using the written word of a language. Any language in history was first developed to be spoken and then it was developed into a written language.
It is normally easier to express oneself using the spoken word rather than the written. Since your only method of communication in forums and online is normally in the written word, you then have to do the best you can at that writing in order to ensure that others who read what you have written and understand not only what you are saying but your thoughts and emotions behind your words.

Forum FAQ

How do I change my avatar?
Firstly, click on "My profile", then "Change avatar". You can use a default one by selecting it from the menu, or click "Browse" and find one of your own (less than 150x150 pixels). Please be aware, though, that avatars also apply to the Terms of Service.

How do I change my sig (signature)?
Similar to the above question - click on "My profile", and then "Change my signature". Images in sigs are frowned upon, so keep it to text, please.

Help! My avatar/sig hasn't updated!
It can take over half an hour for them to update.

How do I post an image?
There are two simple steps to follow to post an image:
1) Upload it to a hosting site. Both imageshack and photobucket are recommended; photobucket requires you to sign up, but it's then much easier to access pictures you've uploaded previously. To upload one, click "Browse" and select the picture from your computer, and then copy the "direct link" or "direct url".
2) Go to your forum post, and then paste the url there. Before the url, write [ img], and after it write [ /img], but without the spaces. Click "preview" to check it works, and then post. If this doesn't work, you can also click the "Image" button in the toolbar above where you type your post, and then paste the url there instead. Please be aware, though, that posting too many pictures, or large pictures, is frowned upon - keep it small by editing it in MS Paint to just show what you want it to. Instead of an entire screenshot, you can reduce the image to show the focus such as chat logs..

How do I post a link?
Firstly, find what you want to link to (in this case, we will use google). Click the "http://" button in the toolbar above where you type your post, and then write "Click me!" and press OK. After that, type or paste the web address, in this case, "www.google.es", and hit ok again. Click preview, and you should end up with something like this: Click me! Click the link after previewing it, to make sure it works, and then post.

This is frequently asked so I think we could use this as a Forum FAQ. I'll be asking Forum mods to not to move this into the FR because if people actually read the FR they wouldn't post the spam that the FR is intended to reduce, so posting it in the New Player Forum, as a separate sticky Forum FAQ would be appreciated.
Tanef in Malachite
GameGardens
[Oct 13, 2008 3:18:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

A while back, I posted asking for help with my next blog entry. I'm planning to write "K is for.... Knowing Me, Knowing You". In this, I'm proposing to answer questions you decide to fire at me - but in return, I would like to know something about you. For me to post the answer to your question, I need also to post some bit of information about you - however trivial or serious the information is. Although I reserve the right not to answer all questions that get sent in, I'm not going to restrict the questions you can ask, whether they're about the game, about Apollo or about me personally!

If you want to ask a question, PM it to me, along with your pirate name and a small piece of information about yourself or your pirate. Then if your question gets answered in the blog, I would post your name, the information you give me about yourself, and then your question and my answer.

I've had a lot of people saying that they are GOING to send in questions, but I've only actually received two (interesting two, though!). I'd like to write the blog post this weekend, so if anyone wants to send questions during the day tomorrow, I'll start writing on Saturday! If I don't get a few more questions, I'll abandon this (and incidentally, adjust my previous observations that you were a very inquisitive bunch) and write a post full of engaging misinformation about something else beginning with K. :o)
[Nov 14, 2008 1:54:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
yaypuzzlez

I hope my question is interesting enough to get blogged.
I am Capberry | Rumbleboy.

Retired.
[Nov 14, 2008 4:55:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

I've had some outrageous excellent questions come in now - keep them coming!
[Nov 14, 2008 4:41:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
seb_long_uk

I'd like to write the blog post this weekend, so if anyone wants to send questions during the day tomorrow, I'll start writing on Saturday! :o)

*pokes Apollo with a stick*
Domokun
Avatar by the incredible Tilinka
[Nov 18, 2008 4:04:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    My other sloop is a Gold/Gold rename [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

I have started - I just haven't finished!
Therefore, still accepting questions. :)
[Nov 18, 2008 4:18:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
bisquick

Therefore, still accepting questions. :)

How much longer?

*ducks and hides*
Bisquick - Midnight (turned Cerulean), and all other oceans
Captain of Ransack Marauders
[Nov 18, 2008 4:49:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest    http://bisqy.livejournal.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Except from you, as The Interrogation Of Apple Bunny is quite long already. *grins*
[Nov 18, 2008 5:04:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
bisquick

Except from you, as The Interrogation Of Apple Bunny is quite long already. *grins*

Bwaha, I was actually being obnoxious and meant how long until the entry is complete. But we can keep your interpretation...yeah... Forget I ever said this... *grins back*
Bisquick - Midnight (turned Cerulean), and all other oceans
Captain of Ransack Marauders
[Nov 18, 2008 5:28:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest    http://bisqy.livejournal.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Hephaestus
OceanMaster

Well, nobody suggested anything for a while, so I got a bit random . Let that be a lesson to you all.
[Dec 30, 2008 8:30:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 197   Pages: 7   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates