• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 176
Posts: 176   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 34385 times and has 175 replies Next Thread
SiLVeRD

8th BDSwordTourn | Turtle Inn | Sat. 7/17|2pmPDT 4.12Million Reply to this Post

It is time once again for main event to rear itself.
*grins evilly *

That is right my fellow pirates, the main Blackdeath event is back. This will be the 8th installment to the glorious tradition of Blackdeath Tournaments, and the third Silver Classic [a BD tournament hosted by myself, Silverdawg]. The last BD tournament was held in October, where the infamous Kurosh stepped forward from the 236 contestants as champion [back in the days before automated tournaments ;p and it remains the record holder for hand written tourney size as well as poe pot for one sf event, 1.2 million ;p] Maybe you will join Kurosh and the six other champions in the BD archives, maybe you just want to see how your sword fighting skills stack against your fellow pirates, or maybe you just want to be apart of the festivity. So bring your friends, crewmates, flagmates, or even your enemies [keep your enemies close ;p?so you can BASH them down into rubble, but of course I would never support griefing?.;p]because it will definitely be worth your time?..for the fun of course ;p Spread the word and tell even the strangers as the more the merrier. Most important of all, bring yourselves cuz I need you?I really do?

/em sniffs

/em cuts the sappiness?

onto the important details

Event: 8th Blackdeath Sword Tournament, 3rd Silver Classic
Date: July 17, 2004
Start Time:2pm PDT (Pacific Daylight Time) or located in San Francisco GMT ?7

For ye lazier folks, I jacked this from the great Artemis
/em bows

- Click here for the current time in San Francisco.
- Click here to convert from your time zone to that of San Francisco.

Registration begins at 1 pm pacific and ends at 2pm [the start time]
Ideally, it is best that you come as early as possible because I would assume massive lag in the Inn so you might not make it if you wait until the last possible second to register. Besides why don?t? you log on early to practice ;p

Rules: [please PM, post, or send a tell if you have any questions =)]
For some reason, I feel like the grandeur of the tournament atmosphere has been lost. Although tournaments are now much more efficient, I feel we have sacrificed the flare and fun of the tourney environment for such organization. I sincerely loved the build up and social aspect of tourneys, where you stand around and talk and wait for your name to be called; but the mechanization of such events has altered this aspect. This isn?t to scare you, as I won?t do a hand written tournament with 400 ppl ;p. However I think we should have a throw back tournament, and I will attempt mix the two styles together with some new extras.

Qualifier: You enter the tournament at the Turtle Inn like it was any other tournament. Winner of the qualifier will receive the Pup of the Tourney trophy =).

0 entry fee [cuz I love you all?.well most of you ;p I kid I kid]
Single Elimination
Best of Three
Bring your own sword
Seeded by ranking

IF you reach the top 32! [I will get an OM to announce which round it is early on when there is a break in that 30 seconds between rounds 1 and 2, as of course the round which contains the top 32 will be affected by the number of entries] STICK around. I will also send tells to the people who make it so I can get all 32 people. This qualifier tournament is just a way to spread the wealth but the familiar prize will be won in another tournament.

All double octo participants [ppl who make the top 32] you continue to play the qualifier until you lose [or win if you are the champion ;p]. Once you lose, you head over to the Alpha palace and practice or socialize while the familiar tournament gets setup.

The top 32 will participate in a swiss style tournament of champions [the old pen and paper ;p]. This tournament is completely independent from the results that happened in the qualifier. All 32 players are guaranteed to play 5 prelim [pre-elimination] rounds. All five of these rounds will be Best of 5, you can use any sword, and disconnects DO NOT count. All rounds will be shouted out, just like the good ol days. If your opponent disconnects you immediately must send a tell to me and I will keep track of 15 min for your opponent to return. If that player does not return then he/she forfeits that round. Even if you miss one round you will not be kicked out from the tournament. Instead I will just keep giving your opponents a full perfect victory for that round [giving them the win (1-0) and the perfect match score (3-0)] The first two rounds will be random or prematched. Rounds three ? five will be power-matched. Power matched means the high seeds will play fellow high seeds, and the low seeds play the low seeds. High and low seeds will be based upon your records in this portion of the tournament. An example is if you go 2-0 in rounds one and two, you will face another 2-0 player in round 3 or 3-1 player in round 5 will face another 3-1 player, etc etc?. Rounds will be power-matched based upon your win record AND your scored points within each round. What this means is that say you have 4 players, where three players are 4-0 and the last player is 3-1. Within each of their rounds they played a b05 right? Therefore the two highest 4-0?s will play eachother and the lowest 4-0 player will be pulled down to play the 3-1 player (you could also see this as the 3-1 being pulled up, either way just be aware that such pairings will occur on time to time). For a numerical example say the players are 4-0 (going 12-0 in those rounds), 4-0 (12-4), 4-0 (12-7), and 3-1 (9-7) Basically you play people that are in the same record as yourself. Remember because rounds are powered based on full results, the winner only must send a tell saying the match scores [i.e. silver over dawg 3-2].

I have already hosted a few tournaments with this model in my crew [Blackdeath dur ;p] and found that it was learned quite rapidly, but if you have any questions please ask.

After 5 rounds, the top 8 players [if there is a tie between the middle seeds then they will play an additional sudden death B05 round] will move on to the final Single Elimination Playoffs. These playoffs will be Best of Seven, you can use any sword, and disconnects do not count yet again. The playoffs will be organized like the traditional sports format. The winner between 1st seed will play the 8th seed will play the winner between the 4th and 5th seed the winner between 2nd seed plays the 7th will play the winner between the 3rd and 6th seed. The winner of this sword fighting gauntlet will finally receive the Dawg of the Tournament Trophy [its just a figure of speech that I keep using and will continually use for traditions sake?do not expect for me to somehow convince Nemo to draw something up and implement new code. ;p I also will not provide you with any real life models, replicas or even photos of such a trophy, at best I can offer you a link to the Lord Stanley?s cup *prays for the sharks* but even then?that?s pushing it], enter the Blackdeath archives as the 8th BD champion, as well as receive the much earned Familiar.

Warning: This event [especially for the people who survive on towards the later stages of the event] will be time intensive. If you recall the last SF familiar tournament that had 50k pot, and a bird, brought in 330?s+ ppl and took roughly a couple of hours [for the ppl who lasted till the very end]. Based upon my own experiences with running this kind of secondary tournament system, it takes another 2 hours [with low 20?s it took around 90 min, but I think 2 hours is a good guestimate] So if you plan on being a part of the top 32, or even top 8 expect to be around a good 3-4 hours ;p.

Prizes [keep an eye on this post as the prize pot will increase every week ;p]: The good stuff. Seriously who cares though right? You guys aren?t coming out to see me or play for fun?? Alright alright, let?s get down to the nitty gritty ;p. Other than the Familiar [which Artemis has not specified so for now it will your choice;p] Right now the pot is about one million poe and growing ;p. The specifics of how the prizes will be divided will be based upon the size of the pot (which will only be known at the day b4 the tournament). My last tournament (the 7th BD tournament in azure had a 1.2 million poe pot/familiar/ship deeds / shop deeds, This amount of money was raised right off the heels of colonization in Azure, where you could buy an island anywhere from 300k-650k, buy prices have changed since then right ;p), my goal?of course is to BREAK that number ;p?.maybe hit 2.5 million poe? However I cannot accomplish such a goal by myself. All I want is a grand tournament so people can come out, and have something to talk about. Unfortunately the primary bait that people get attracted to the most is poe. So PLEASE DONATE to me, Private Message me or send a tell to Silverdawg.

***Prize break down***
The exact number given to each "place" will be unknown as it will be based upon the number of participants.

However out of the 4,199k pot, 1,500k of the money will be set aside leaving 2,619k for the actual qualifer.

With the opening tournament having appromixately 2.6+ milllion first place of the qualifer will take in a purse of around 830+k [if i just left all 4.12 million in the opening pot then first place would win over 1.3 million, which in my opinoin is too centralized] I still personally think the pot is too centralized with 800+k....i would rather have first place of the qualifer win around 400k....

from the 1.5 million poe that is set aside, 1 million will goto the 32 individuals of the top 64 that DID NOT make the top 32 cut. This means for not qualifying to the second round the 32 people who fell one round short will receive somewhere in the neighborhood of 31k on TOP of what they win from the tournament.

from the last 500k, 320k will be used to give every 32 finalist 10k for their achievements. Lastily the remaining 180k will be broken up in the Final playoff section (paid in cascading format).

Donators: If you feel like you want to contribute to the pot feel free to please by all means hehe;p Come on and donate, I?m sure the masses will greatly appreciate your contributions. Anybody who donates more than 10k will get their name plastered (aka shoutout) by me in this thread [the last tourney a great 40 of you donated thanks again =), hyperlink below].50k+ will get you an opportunity to have a message / ad in forumns If you contribute more than [I haven?t yet decided yet hehe I?ll judge it later] you acquire some ad space at the turtle inn [a fatty plug to the hundreds of pirates who come in] All in all just contribute anything you can =)

Of course this is a non-profit tournament, as I will no doubt lose money from my own contributions + I won?t be participating.

Anyway thankyou for spending the time to glance over my LONG post. Remember to spread word to your friends, crewmates, and flagmates, as this will be a tournament that will be remembered. Let?s make history together =)

The BD archives: Quick History Lesson on Sfing Tournaments:

Before the luxury of the automated tournaments, the small crew of Blackdeath held mini tournaments done completely by hand. Also note that all the tournaments before the 7th Blackdeath tournament were held before the Gaea Bash I Rudder events, which immensely popularized the whole sword tourney phenomenon. Twenty to thirty people in a sword fighting tournament used to be considered a LOT [meaning a godly amount] of people, let alone my 6th tourney which smashed the tourney records with a massive 50+ ppl!!! [almost double the previous tourney high =)] So I feel that this is an important part of our history and is worth spending time looking at. Also note I did the research for your lazy bums and linked all the tournaments =),

Past Blackdeath tourney winners / runner-ups
1st BD: Relic / Ursela
2nd BD: Woshi / Talonbushadi middle of the page =)
3rd BD: Mssparrow / Jonjon
4th BD: Relic / Garf middle/end of the page
5th BD: JonJon / Kaejer
6th BD: Woshi / Rifkind
7th BD: Kurosh / Talonbushadi

Pot count: 4,119k
200k Chud
10k Lilyara
30k Bobs
200k Trickykid
75k Rochelle
10k Anonymous
105k Tronstad
275k Juggla
200k qwail
100k Priklypete
15k Cahrin
75k Chud
100k Seamus
10k Pierut
25k Rosered
10k Demonyaj
70k Sart
10k Dipwood
1000k Whitefire 2365k
35k Anonymous
15k Quixaroo
5k Beardface
10k Shockedfrog
56k Bobs
10k Clover
55k Scott
20k Dacheat
10k Buri
5k Hailarnold
20k Rappak
100k Szerszak
60k Talonbushadi
10k Zmasterben
30kKhrone
50k Angell
10k Spin
10k Onyx
5k Wildeyedjack
30k anonymous patron
50k Andyp
10k Whiplash
35k Zarhirra
10k Duguro
5k Kngihtwolf
6k Potato
5k Xerox
5k Nauta
30k Maxdemian
5k Angelsux
15k General
10k Dodongo
10k Funkybeard
5k Rustedhook
5k Reily
5k Weasy
10k Rugbyofficer
10k Bronchitis
50k Pokey
20k Robertdonald
30k Jorgeo
10k Slyvana
8k Goldbeard
15k Radical Dreamers
25k Sapheri
5k Rmarzbar
10k Napalm
10k Maxquest
10k Samiam
10k Grimes
15k Kludius
5k Matahari
5k Gaiden
5k Tariff
13k Direwolf
50k Bieyen
5k Ptolemy
10k Cree
5k Rauchester
10k Pokey
5k Philfine
50k Equinox
40k BlackCobra
50k Checkmate
10k Cire
5k Raabitias
101k Jadelle
25k Annesatsu
10k Antioch
100k Eyes
100k Silverdawg

EDIT 1: addtion of familiar in the Prize section
EDIT 2: bolded/underline changes
EDIT 3: RF
EDIT 4: Creation of master pot list, pot update and change of Subject header, removal of familiar for pot count
EDIT 5: Pot update
EDIT 6: " "
EDIT 7: " "
EDIT 8: " "
EDIT 9: " "
EDIT 10: 100k by Szerszak not Stoneman
EDIT 11: Pot update
EDIT 12: " "
EDIT 13: " "
EDIT 14: " "
EDIT 15: " "
EDIT 16: " "
EDIT 17: " "
EDIT 18: " "
EDIT 19: " "
EDIT 20: Anybody who donated twice i wrote them as one time bid to save space and to get a count of how many people donated
EDIT 21: Prize distribution
----------------------------------------
The one & only SD, often imitated but never duplicated

If you gonna shoot for the stars, then just shoot me

If you let me you won't regret me,
Shii, if you let me you won't forget me
[Edit 21 times, last edit by SiLVeRD at Jun 8, 2004 6:41:08 AM]
[Jun 8, 2004 6:41:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Please    No    Stalking me [Link]  Go to top 
SiLVeRD

Re: 8th BDSwordTourn | Turtle Inn | Sat. 7/17|2pmPDT 4.12Million Reply to this Post

SiLVeRD wrote: 
That being said....look for another complicated familiar event;p......you heard it here first

xephin wrote: 
So is this the time where I suggest the next familiar event to be hosted by Whitefire Sdawg and myself and that the familiar prize not allowed to be sold at the end... (The auctioning of the prize done by the winner sickens me!)

Well you read it first and tell me what you think, I need and love feedback =). Does the event seem too complicated? comments ;p and STICKY me Artemis ;p

While I can promise you that I will be hosting, but I cannot unfortunately promise you what the winner will do with the familiar. Hopefully you will have a better time, though I am sure ?another sf tourney? will incite some dissatisfaction ;p

[Jun 8, 2004 6:43:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Please    No    Stalking me [Link]  Go to top 
NinjaGuy

Re: 8th BDSwordTourn | Turtle Inn | Sat. 7/17|2pmPDT 4.12Million Reply to this Post

SiLVeRD wrote: 
Rich FOLKS *Homullus *

Hah. I'm pretty sure he didn't even buy the clothes on his back.
Ninjaguy - Captain of the Mad Mutineers, Prince of the Midnight Armada
[Jun 8, 2004 7:08:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.midnightarmada.com    Istealpants21    Istealpants21 [Link]  Go to top 
SiLVeRD

NinjaGuy wrote: 
SiLVeRD wrote: 
Rich FOLKS *Homullus *

I dunno i just assumed since he is king of MA...but hey...u know what they say about assume.....

Donators so far:

200k Chud
10k Lilyara
30k Bobs
200k Trickykid
75k Rochelle
10k anonymous [chooses to be hehe]
105k Tronstad
50k Juggla
200k qwail
100k Priklypete

[Edit 1 times, last edit by SiLVeRD at Jun 8, 2004 7:16:10 AM]
[Jun 8, 2004 7:16:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Please    No    Stalking me [Link]  Go to top 
Aur

So in honor of the old days, will you be matching everyone's donations poe for poe just like the other one's? :)

My prediction is that you'll hit 5 million poe for the pot since I might be guessing that Whitefire's little boat trip this weekend will also help the cause and you got over a month to collect.

Yeah 5 million sounds like a safe goal to shoot for.
~Aur
Original Riot Starter

"So now you know, and knowing is half the battle. The other half is HWFO." -Hermes
[Jun 8, 2004 7:29:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dodongo77

sweeeeeeeeeet. I look forward to this tourney. I'll have to sharpen up my skills as I look to improve my Top 32 finish from the 7th tourney.
[Jun 8, 2004 9:41:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thusnelda

Sorry to bypass the Davy thread here, but I'd kindly ask you not to make allusions about what "rich" people will or will not donate, especially not about the kind of events they might support. I don't think anyone else appreciates it either.
Madam, proud Looterata
Why are old people playing on this game i dont know its probly something to do with control but its kind of werd. Get a life or a girl friend or mabe even a wife but if your an adult that plays this game your a loser
[Jun 8, 2004 10:34:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
FrankGrimes

Sounds like fun, I'm there.
Grimes: Retired
Former badass
[Jun 8, 2004 12:20:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SimpleD

Sorry to bypass the Davy thread here, but I'd kindly ask you not to make allusions about what "rich" people will or will not donate, especially not about the kind of events they might support. I don't think anyone else appreciates it either.
Thought perhaps a little misguided... in my opinion I believe the connotations of Silver's request for donations were entirely innocent, especially as similar comments were made in the last BD tournament thread, but that time without to much fuss. Yes Silver is after money, and yes he will lie, cheat, backstab and sell himself to get said money. I think it adds to whole spectacle in a way =p.

However it seems a dusturbing stretch to me, that a request for donations has been turned into a repulsive public remark filled with 'allusions' of status, undue influence, manipulation of what said individuals will and will not support, and something the whole puzzle pirate community 'does not appreciate'. Why is it we have to construe the worst possible implications and meaning of Silver's paragraph then run with it? Doesn't sit at all well with me.

I agree with you though T, perhaps Silver should remove that paragraph and I've asked him about that in a PM. I think instead of a public condemnation a discreet PM is a nicer and fairer way to deal with everyone.

Good luck with the tourney Silver v_v and I'll also be there!

-Complicated
[Jun 8, 2004 12:26:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SiLVeRD

If you could not tell by the way I was posting, I was merely attempting to keep the "tradition" of mimicing the style of my pervious tournament posts. Like what Complicated wrote, I pulled the same gimmic the last time round and faced absolutely no "fuss" over it. My intentions are just to draw a large event that people will remember it by. I know I look back at "big" events and remember them fondly; only to reminece and share stories with my fellow peers. Large amounts of poe seems to attract people that normally would be indifferent towards events, and i am just trying to contribute to the community. I apolegize if I have offended you with the way I choose to appeal to the masses.

On more brighter news...

Cahrin 10k
Chud 75k
Seamus 50k

Pot total: [size=18]1,115k

[Jun 8, 2004 1:42:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Please    No    Stalking me [Link]  Go to top 
kurosh

I will be the first double winner! /me starts training night and day.

EDIT: nevermind, i just noticed relic did it :P. I'll be the first consequtive double winner.
Kurosh of Black Death
[Edit 1 times, last edit by kurosh at Jun 8, 2004 1:49:55 PM]
[Jun 8, 2004 1:49:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DrunknBfly

I notice that you haven't put any Loots in the list of rich people. ]=

I s'pose everybody knows that people that fancy themselves intellectuals are always poor.

[size=9]Well, at least I am.
[size=7]Poor that is, not intellectual. d=
Pierut of Crimson Tide, formerly Looterati, not dead.

Shinrai tells you, "zomg u r an om i meen loot"

[Jun 8, 2004 1:59:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://magiccheese.pyen.com/    Ravenlarke [Link]  Go to top 
Pokeytax

Maybe he just heard about Lejerque's auction.
Pokeytax on Malachite
Pokey on Midnight
[Jun 8, 2004 2:13:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

NinjaGuy wrote: 
SiLVeRD wrote: 
Rich FOLKS *Homullus *

I didn't. (Thanks, Dmentia!)

In fact, I don't think I've purchased a single thing since Midnight started, partly because I vowed that I wouldn't buy my own stuff until we had our own island, partly because I've been doing this so long that pillaging isn't fun anymore, and the flag's operating funds are not mine. So, I've relied on the goodwill of others and the embarrassment of my flagmates to keep me out of rags.

BUT! I think I have somewhere in the 4k-8k range saved up. To show my support, I will personally pillage it up to 10k if you'd like, for use as you see fit! :)
[Jun 8, 2004 9:55:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

SimpleD wrote: 
Thought perhaps a little misguided... in my opinion I believe the connotations of Silver's request for donations were entirely innocent, especially as similar comments were made in the last BD tournament thread, but that time without to much fuss.

We live/play in a different ocean now. :(

Even though I've no plans to enter this tourney, the post did bring a smile to my lips, especially the part where he revealed he's going to be running a second tournament in the old style... an admiring "you're crazy - I like that" sort of smile.
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Jun 9, 2004 4:24:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SiLVeRD

cmdrzoom wrote: 
SimpleD wrote: 
Thought perhaps a little misguided... in my opinion I believe the connotations of Silver's request for donations were entirely innocent, especially as similar comments were made in the last BD tournament thread, but that time without to much fuss.

We live/play in a different ocean now. :(

Even though I've no plans to enter this tourney, the post did bring a smile to my lips, especially the part where he revealed he's going to be running a second tournament in the old style... an admiring "you're crazy - I like that" sort of smile.

and then i see your avatar and i smile [imagines you as your avatar, which is i'm sure quite silly]

I just love the old days...i miss them =(

Anyway to match the headliner in the forumn last night:

10k Pierut
125k more from Juggla

ALSO I am considering changing the rules from bring your own sword to using a random sword of scim or SD...

Even though this would definitely undermine the established "ultimate" players who choose their swords to match their skill [i.e. Angell chooses Scim, Tedv / Trickykid choose SD] this would allow a "leveler" playing field for the middle or low end players who cannot afford such luxaries. In addition to this "equalization" it would prevent the switching swords tactics, which i particuraly am not fond of....

Your thoughts? Am i being too ambitious here in making things "fair" which would make things unfair for others? I personally know that i ONLY like using SD and i would pissed at myself too.

/em shakes me fist "damn ye SD"

[Jun 9, 2004 5:58:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Please    No    Stalking me [Link]  Go to top 
RobertDonald

SiLVeRD wrote: 
ALSO I am considering changing the rules from bring your own sword to using a random sword of scim or SD...

Your thoughts? Am i being too ambitious here in making things "fair" which would make things unfair for others? I personally know that i ONLY like using SD and i would pissed at myself too.

Of course I strongly oppose such a thing, especially in a major tournament. One big point of major tournaments is to see what truly is the best: not just WHO is the best, but what TECHNIQUE, what SWORD, what MENTALITY is the best.

You might all be surprised when a shortsword or reversed cleaver wins this event. [size=8]wink wink And I don't want the chance of that happening taken away.
Quizzical wrote: 
If winners and losers are arbitrarily chosen by ringers or OM's, then it is no longer even a game. It's just clicking random buttons hoping to be arbitrarily chosen, which becomes stupid really fast.

[Jun 9, 2004 8:19:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

I actually like the idea of it being a particular sword type. It makes the competition more open to everyone. Unlike Robert I am a fan of a familiar actually going to the player who is the best
[Jun 9, 2004 8:27:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
pezzazz

xephin wrote: 
I actually like the idea of it being a particular sword type. It makes the competition more open to everyone. Unlike Robert I am a fan of a familiar actually going to the player who is the best

that was pretty unnecessary. If you force me to play with a sword i dont normally use, and i come up against an opponent who does normally use that sword, that's not going to be fair now is it. Sure, if i win i can be all like RAWR, but that other person would be too advantaged.
on the other hand any awesome swordfighter can play with any sword regardless, so how bout we make this a stick tourney instead? ;)

errr no.. thats stupid. scratch that. let me use my own sword in the tourney =)

Juggla
[Jun 9, 2004 9:04:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Varthlokkur

Xephin, would ye cheat me of my joy in beating 65K skull daggers with my 600 poe stiletto? I say nay!
Vistr of Innocent, of Crimson Tide
- Midnight, the grudge-holding ocean
[Jun 9, 2004 9:07:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    craigld [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

pezzazz wrote: 
on the other hand any awesome swordfighter can play with any sword regardless

Exactly. So we're not really taking anything away from the awesome fighters, and at the same time making the "lesser" fighters feel better because they are getting to use a better sword

At the end there should be less complainers this way too. Good fighters shouldnt complain because that should be able to use all sword types, and not so good fighters shouldnt complain because they got to use a better sword than normal.
[Jun 9, 2004 9:20:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
NinjaGuy

xephin wrote: 
pezzazz wrote: 
on the other hand any awesome swordfighter can play with any sword regardless

Exactly.

Wrong. A great swordfighter finds a sword that fits their style and then further adapts to that sword style. By asking them to use a different sword you completely remove them from that style they've worked so hard to perfect and forcably make them use someone elses strategy. A great swordsman doesn't need to know how to fight with every single sword if they can fight with one, there is just no point.

I'd assume my opinion on which type it should be is obvious.
[Jun 9, 2004 9:49:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.midnightarmada.com    Istealpants21    Istealpants21 [Link]  Go to top 
Demonyaj

In the immortal words of Trickykid-
"Scim is *insert expletive here*".
I don't agree, but, still, give us the sword we normally go with.
Denying the inevitable for as long as possible is a waste of life's work.
[Jun 9, 2004 10:00:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

I have no problem with "bring your own sword" because i do love my scim. I was just looking out for the little guy. No need to burn me on the stake for it
[Jun 9, 2004 10:11:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Pokeytax

SD, how would you work the "random scimitar or skullie" into the swiss draw, anyway?

A tournament scoring how people did with several different swords would kind of be interesting, but since this is an Elite Really Big Sword tourney I kinda like that it's bring your own sword. Makes me picture experts from all over Midnight coming together doing last-minute customizations and debating the merits of a double-black weapon versus green/red.
Pokeytax on Malachite
Pokey on Midnight
[Jun 9, 2004 10:19:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SiLVeRD

xephin wrote: 
I have no problem with "bring your own sword" because i do love my scim. I was just looking out for the little guy. No need to burn me on the stake for it

Like i said earlier, this will no DOUBTLY harm the better sfers of the ocean. However my intentions were to spread the fun and wealth to the middle and "lower" sfers who always feed the poe to the top players.

Someone once wrote to me: "as most all tourneys have matched me against a god or an ultimate so that i gave up on them."

Even though no matter what i do in terms of adjusting rules, the top players will do a lot better [especially in my tournament which is purposely designed this way, to eliminate "luck" as shown in my setup of the top 32] I just want to give some of the players who can't afford certain weapons a chance because there are wide disparity's in advantages with sword ;p. Of couse i know this defeats part of the tournament aims in testing the champions of the swords.

Note: to RD's comment i never believe any tournament gives the status of a best sfer. My personal opinion that there is no "best" sfer, rather a lucky sfer who has skill but also has luck on a particular day to seize victory. Also everybody will have different opinions on who is the best further distorting the true "best" sfer. I don't want to seem like i am attacking RD's comment, merely stating mine. I just wanted to clarify that my tournament IS NOT about proving a "best" sfer, but rather a celebration of the ocean and the sf lovers =) [and non-sfer lovers are welcome to come too hehe come come =p]

[Jun 9, 2004 10:32:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Please    No    Stalking me [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

Idea: Give people the option of using a different supplied sword.

Sure, there are lots of people who are really good with one style, one sword, etc, and can kick bot with it.

And then there are others that have never gotten the 20K it takes for a really good sword.

Yes, a stick or foil can instant kill you. But not everyone is the ultra-rediculous good SF-er that can instantkill like that. If someone hasn't been able to upgrade past a foil, even a really good set of sprinkles won't do anything to their opponents attack, except maybe delay it 4 turns.

Yet if they could borrow a nasty sword for the tourney, that same sprinkle might ruin the attack.

Sure, bring your own sword. But have "loaner swords" of various kinds available as well.

LJG.
totally outclassed by the whole SF thing.
Can't even suicide fast :-)
Re: Market on Scurvy Reef:
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
And it wasn't even 9 spaces from the arrow :-).
[Jun 9, 2004 10:54:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
NinjaGuy

LongJohnGrey wrote: 
Idea: Give people the option of using a different supplied sword.

Sure, there are lots of people who are really good with one style, one sword, etc, and can kick bot with it.

And then there are others that have never gotten the 20K it takes for a really good sword.

Yes, a stick or foil can instant kill you. But not everyone is the ultra-rediculous good SF-er that can instantkill like that. If someone hasn't been able to upgrade past a foil, even a really good set of sprinkles won't do anything to their opponents attack, except maybe delay it 4 turns.

Yet if they could borrow a nasty sword for the tourney, that same sprinkle might ruin the attack.

Sure, bring your own sword. But have "loaner swords" of various kinds available as well.

LJG.
totally outclassed by the whole SF thing.
Can't even suicide fast :-)

Loaning out 20-50K swords to random people you don't know can have big consequences.
[Jun 9, 2004 11:03:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.midnightarmada.com    Istealpants21    Istealpants21 [Link]  Go to top 
Aur

I think the idea of using a predefined sword is a great idea. Since there will be a lot of people out there who do not own a good sword or are new and stuck with a foil or stick.

However, neither a scim nor a skull dagger should be used as that sword. Why? Because those are the two swords of choice between most people in the ocean. The top sword fighters seem to use either one or the other based on preference and I would hate to see a final where someone who normally uses a scim versus someone who normally uses a skull dagger and one get the use of their preferred weapon.

I think we should open up a discussion on what sword other than a scim or a skull dagger should be used. I really don't know what the third option should be.
~Aur
Original Riot Starter

"So now you know, and knowing is half the battle. The other half is HWFO." -Hermes
[Jun 9, 2004 11:21:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RobertDonald

I'm not real big on having anything other than bring-your-own for a major tournament but...

Options for a preset random sword other than the skull dagger and scimitar:

NOT the cleaver (not symmetric)
NOT the shortsword (not symmetric)
NOT the foil (not symmetric)

NOT the stick (too random)

Options we have left:

Poniard, Longsword, Stiletto, Rapier.

I favor the Longsword, as the other three tend to cause exceedingly long matches in the hands of bad players.

Explanation:
Non-symmetric swords can be highly unfair. For example, the reversed saber is incredibly weak and exceedingly simple to instakill against, but the unreversed saber is far stronger. In a random sword tournament, one player may get the reversed and one player the unreversed, and the match simply decided by this.
Quizzical wrote: 
If winners and losers are arbitrarily chosen by ringers or OM's, then it is no longer even a game. It's just clicking random buttons hoping to be arbitrarily chosen, which becomes stupid really fast.

[Jun 9, 2004 11:59:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 176   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates