• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 180
Posts: 180   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 14686 times and has 179 replies Next Thread
Sea_weasel

Best Pirate | Parrot Prize! | June 5, 2:30 pm PDT | Ostreum Reply to this Post

What?

There?s been a myriad of contests in the Midnight Ocean, but in most cases they?ve only tested one or two skills of its participants. It?s time for a grand pirate pentathlon where it will be decided who is the BEST PIRATE overall. The winner of the contest will thus be a pirate who excels in all SIX aspects of piracy.

The SIX aspects are of course.

1. Drinking: Who could call themselves a pirate if they did not master the art of carousing rum and anything else that makes you sway as if land was sea and sea was land?
2. Fighting: Fierceness in battle in port and at sea is something all pirates must exceed at if they are to successfully plunder any booty and strike fear on the seas.
3. Loading: Whether it is loading a ship full of booty, a jar with rum or cannonballs into the guns, this is an often forgotten but very vital aspect of piracy.
4. Cunning: A pirate must ever so often outwit their opponents when brutal force is out of the question and as we all know, a pirate must have their wits about them, or they can not forage.
5. Sailing: So obvious that it hardly needs to be mentioned. A pirate without a vessel to sail, or one inept at handling rigging, sails, hull maintenance, leakage and navigating the set course is at best a cheap wannabe pirate.
EDIT: 6. Fortune: A PIRATE NEEDS LUCK!!!

Why?
Because it will be fun and you can be one of eight, who win 2000 pieces of eight, one of four, who win a war brig and the one pirate who wins a Blue and Red Parrot and bragging rights to the title ?Best Pirate?. And if you miss out on any of those prizes, you can still have the chance to be part of the winning crew that gets to split a total of 200 000 pieces of eight.

When?
Registration will start around 2:30 pm PDT (5:30 pm EDT, 11:30 pm CEST, 10:30 pm BST) June 5th
And the pentathlon will start as soon as possible after that.

Where?
Everyone will initially be called to Ostreum Island (whisking will be provided) after this the contestants are likely to spread out all over the ocean, but will later once again return to Ostreum and finally all sail toward Emperor Island as four competing crews.

Who?
Anyone who is not me, an ocean master or a judge and helper in the contest may and is encouraged to partake. Send me a tell when it?s time for the event to start and you will be registered.

How?
A tournament of five rounds will be testing the skills of the partaking pirates and each round will be a completely different contest, testing one of the five aspects of piracy each. Initially everyone who has registered will be whisked to Ostreum Island and await further instructions.

EDIT: Round 1 and 2 Drinking and Fighting: All the participants will be lumped together into 3 sets of 64 groups (set A, set B and set C). That is, each pirate will be in 3 different groups and there will be a total of 192 groups. I expect these groups to be below 4 pirates each. However if there?s a total of 512 participants (which is the absolute maximum) each group will consist of 8 pirates. The names of the pirates of each group will be shouted out on Ostreum Island prior to the start of the contest. What then happens is that each set A group of pirates settle down at a table somewhere in the Midnight Ocean and drink (4 containers, 4 colours and 2 drinking rounds). Once the game is over, one of the participants must let me know who won, who came second, third, etc and also who won drinking round 1. The winner will be awarded AMPATAPITGWHM (as many points as there are participants in the group with highest members) (this means that if AMPATAPITGWHM are 4 pirates large winners will get 4 points). The runner up will be awarded one point below AMPATAPITGWHM (in our example 3 points), this pattern then continues except for those who came last who will be awarded no points (So in a group of 4 in a situation where the maximum group has 4 members, winner would get 4 points, runner-up 3 points, third place 2 points and last place 0 points and in groups of 3 in the same case it would be winner gets 4 points, runner-up gets 3 points and last place 0 points), further the winner of drinking round 1 gets one bonus point.
After this is done it?s time for the set A groups to fight. Each group is now to set up a mini sword-fighting tournament (either manually or through a tournament board). If set up on a board this tournament should be a single fight each round, randomly seeded and bring your own weapon. After the tournament is over results should be reported back to me. Winners of each mini-tournament will get two points above AMPATAPITGWHM (in our example from before the winner will get 6 points). Anyone who wins two games (byes count as a win only if you win the game after it) but not the tournament will get AMPATAPITGWHM (in our example this scenario can not happen, but if we take another example where we have a group of 5 where this is also the maximum, this would yield 5 points). Anyone who wins one game but not the tournament will get two points below AMPATAPITGWHM (in our initial example 1 point).
Once this is all done all pirates regroup into their set B groups and go through the same procedures again and obviously once that?s done it?s repeated again for the set C groups. After all the scores have been reported I will add them all up and the top 16 pirates will move on to Round 3 and 4. At this point I will once again whisk the 16 winners back to Ostreum so that they can await further instructions for Round 3 there.

EDIT: Round 3, Loading: Essentially this will be a gunning contest. There will be four war brigs stationed on Ostreum and each of the four ships will be boarded by 4 of the remaining participants. There will also be a judge aboard each of the brigs and hopefully some more crew for the purpose of maintenance. All of the four brigs will head out to sea and enter sea battle with each other (so a total of two sea battles will be started). Next the judge (or other non-participant) will load all of the guns. The judge then takes the helm and empties the cannons once again. After this one of the participants will be asked to step forward and get ready to load the guns. The judge will then prepare to time the event and will eventually shout ?Gun!? or similar at which the readied participant attempts to load the ships 16 guns as quickly as possible! Once the participant is done the judge will stop timing and let me and those aboard know the time it took. Obviously this process is repeated until all four participants on the ship are done gunning. The pirates with the top eight times have now also made it so far as to be worthy of a small price. Each of them will win 2000 pieces of eight each. It may seem like a very small price, but in case they should advance to the final this money will prove extremely useful. Points awarded here will be 1st 32 points, 2nd 28 points, 3rd 24 points, 4th 20 points, 5th 18 points, 6th 16 points, 7th 14 points, 8th 12 points, 9th 10 points, 10th 8 points, 11th 6 points, 12th 4 points, 13th 3 points, 14th 2 points, 15th 1 points and 16th 0 points.

EDIT: Round 4, Cunning: The exact nature of this round will remain secret, but will be revealed right before it starts. All I can say is that it will require a creative and quick mind that can perform well even though no time for preparation is offered. I?ll also say that it will be of a much more qualitative nature than any of the other rounds and that four judges will be the one?s to determine, which four pirates that advance to the final. Further, I?ll probably let the start of this round be broadcasted and any prospecting audience that wishes to will be whisked to Ostreum and allowed to attend the event. If they audience so wishes they will even be allowed to whisper things into a participating pirate?s ear. The judges will pick out one pirate that gets 35 points, two pirates that each get 25 points, three pirates that each get 15 points, and 4 pirates that each get 5 points. The scores from all rounds will then be added together and the top four pirates will win a war brig each and advance to the final.

EDIT: Round 5, Sailing: The final round will likely also be the most interesting one. Prior to this round four pirates have just won a war brig each and the only problem is that their new brigs are stationed on the very deserted island of Ostreum. Naturally then the final contest will be a race between these brigs. The winner will be the Captain to first reach Emperor Island. However, before the event starts some preparation will be required. Primarily, each Captain will be allowed time to gather up the crew that will sail the ship to victory. Broadcasts will be made and former contest participants and new faces alike are all allowed to board these vessels as long as there is room. One judge must though be aboard each of the four brigs and the judge will not be performing any work (though allowed to swing a sword in sea battle). Also before the contest starts a certain amount of time will be go into making certain the ship is completely repaired and free from water and crabs (having recently been out to sea in the gunning contest it may be that this is needed). Once that is done a judge will unload or load the resources aboard the ship so that each one carries exactly 2 Fine Rum and 40 Medium Cannonballs. As you most likely already realize this means that Rum will run out pretty quickly and each Captain will be faced with the dilemma of whether they should stop in Gaea or Epsilon to buy more supplies for their prize money (if they have any) from Round 3 (or possibly Brigand loot) or try to complete with a sour throat and aching head. A judgement call that very well can be what wins or looses this race.
Once everything is set up the race will start on the signal from each of the four respective judges (starting times for each ship will be adjusted according to any point differences from earlier contests, where 1point=1 second). During the race the judges will also make certain that only the four newly become ship-owners navigate the ship. No other crewmember other than they may navigate the vessels. If this should happen or if a judge is planked, the participant will be disqualified from the race. Winner is the one of the four to first reach the memorial statue of Emperor Island after docking their respective ship at the island. The winner will then be asked to temporarily hand over the deed to the ship and will in exchange receive a RED AND BLUE PARROT! I am then going to add a sum totalling 200 000 pieces of eight into the ships booty and split the booty with even shares and 0 crew cut, so that all the people that brought the ship to victory are rewarded. After this I will hand the ship deed back to the deserving winner, who proudly can title themselves as ?The Best Pirate of Midnight?. That closes the contest but hopefully it will become a time worthy of further celebration.

EDIT: FORTUNE WILL BE TESTED IN ALL ROUNDS

~Leonara
----------------------------------------
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Sea_weasel at May 24, 2004 6:01:30 AM]
[May 24, 2004 6:01:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Phwibbles

Re: Who is the best Pirate? (Prize = Red-Blue Parrot and mor Reply to this Post

Sea_weasel wrote: 
I am then going to add a sum totalling 200 000 pieces of eight into the ships booty and split the booty with even shares and 0 crew cut, so that all the people that brought the ship to victory are rewarded.

If you do this, I believe it will say something to the effect of "There was booty found in the chest that was not tracked to any particular voyage. Moving booty to the hold."
Bifnot, second king of The Jolly Company
First Governor of the Midnight Ocean
[May 24, 2004 6:14:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Re: Best Pirate | Parrot Prize! | June 5, 2:30 pm PDT | Ostreum Reply to this Post

I don't really like how you're eliminated by Round. I mean, the "Best Pirate" could be the best (I mean no one even near close of skill level) at Fighting, Loading, Cunning, and Sailing, but since s/he's only moderately good at Drinking s/he could be eliminated by Round 1. Also, Drinking Multiplayer Games are rather random as it is.
[May 24, 2004 6:19:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AizIril

I like this idea, but...

Sea_weasel wrote: 
Round 1, Drinking: All the participants will be lumped together into 64 groups. I expect these groups to be in the 3-4 pirates range. However if there?s a total of 512 participants (which is the absolute maximum) each group will consist of 8 pirates. The names of the pirates of each group will be shouted out on Ostreum Island prior to the start of the contest. What then happens is that each group of pirates settle down at a table somewhere in the Midnight Ocean and drink (4 containers, 4 colours and 2 rounds). The drinking goes on until a winner has been determined (in case of a tie between two or more pirates a drinking duel or further table drinking will settle the tiebreak). Once a winner is established, he/she or one of the other participants must let me know who won. At this point I will once again whisk the winner back to Ostreum so that they can await further instructions for Round 2 there.

Worst. Qualifying Round. Ever.

I mean seriously, a group drinking game? That's probably the largest element of randomness there is in the game, unless you just threw everyone into a randomly seeded tournament and picked the top 64 names.

Even the best drinkers in the game don't really stand that much of a better chance than the rest.

Also, Bif,

Phwibbles wrote: 
Sea_weasel wrote: 
I am then going to add a sum totalling 200 000 pieces of eight into the ships booty and split the booty with even shares and 0 crew cut, so that all the people that brought the ship to victory are rewarded.

If you do this, I believe it will say something to the effect of "There was booty found in the chest that was not tracked to any particular voyage. Moving booty to the hold."

If the crew stays onboard, all he has to do is deport and report, then split booty.
Xyphus on Hunter. Aiziril on Midnight. Bored on all oceans.
[May 24, 2004 6:33:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
zindy

Re: Best Pirate | Parrot Prize! | June 5, 2:30 pm PDT | Ostreum Reply to this Post

i miss carping and bilging in yer contest..

and the most important skill, the skill to lead and organize couldnt been shown in such a contest i think.
The winner is Notorious Fandango. - and puff! and gone ;)

certified ZombDango . notorious.
[May 24, 2004 6:43:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pirate+Sabata [Link]  Go to top 
Sea_weasel

AizIril wrote: 

Worst. Qualifying Round. Ever.

I mean seriously, a group drinking game? That's probably the largest element of randomness there is in the game, unless you just threw everyone into a randomly seeded tournament and picked the top 64 names.

Even the best drinkers in the game don't really stand that much of a better chance than the rest.

Realistically I doubt there will be more than 256 entrants and thus it won't be more than 4 people at each table. With 8 at the table I agree that there would be too much randomness, but 4 at the table is still alright and I threw in a second round to hinder some of the randomness. Also I'd rather have this one at the start then later on at the tournament. I'd rather people fall on their bad luck early than late. And the reason I wanted table instead of single games is so that the tournament can progress relatively quickly, we all know that drinking can drag on for a long time.
[May 24, 2004 7:09:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sea_weasel

zindy wrote: 
i miss carping and bilging in yer contest..

and the most important skill, the skill to lead and organize couldnt been shown in such a contest i think.

The final will require a certain level of organization... at least as far as running a ship goes, though I don't think that's what you meant. I'd love to have had carping, sailing and bilging in somehow, but I didn't see an easy way to have them incorperated in a direct manner. Of course those trying to get their cut of the 200 000 will prosper from their knowledge in carping, bilging and sailing.
[May 24, 2004 7:13:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Phwibbles

Shuranthae wrote: 
I don't really like how you're eliminated by Round. I mean, the "Best Pirate" could be the best (I mean no one even near close of skill level) at Fighting, Loading, Cunning, and Sailing, but since s/he's only moderately good at Drinking s/he could be eliminated by Round 1.

I'd argue that consistency is as much a part of perfection as any one skill.
[May 24, 2004 7:15:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sea_weasel

Shuranthae wrote: 
I don't really like how you're eliminated by Round. I mean, the "Best Pirate" could be the best (I mean no one even near close of skill level) at Fighting, Loading, Cunning, and Sailing, but since s/he's only moderately good at Drinking s/he could be eliminated by Round 1. Also, Drinking Multiplayer Games are rather random as it is.

Well yeah ultimately all contestants should do all of the events, but such a pentathlon could never be finished in a day's time.
[May 24, 2004 7:15:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AizIril

Sea_weasel wrote: 

Realistically I doubt there will be more than 256 entrants and thus it won't be more than 4 people at each table.

I agree, but still, any drinking game over 3 players comes down to horrible amounts of luck. I just don't see how you can use this to determine the "best pirate in midnight".

/me shrugs. I'm not trying to get you to change it, I'm just complaining now, so I can say "I told you so" afterwards. I'll probably still be there.
[May 24, 2004 7:29:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Varthlokkur

Sea_weasel wrote: 
Shuranthae wrote: 

Well yeah ultimately all contestants should do all of the events, but such a pentathlon could never be finished in a day's time.

Ooh, piratey decathlon!

Not good for a one-day event, but someday.....
Vistr of Innocent, of Crimson Tide
- Midnight, the grudge-holding ocean
[May 24, 2004 7:33:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    craigld [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

No, I just find it annoying that the Events seem to be more important as the Round gets later (for instance Cunning and Sailing), however that part won't even matter seeing as you can get knocked out early. So if you're not a decent Drinker, it doesn't matter how good you are with anything else. And as far as consistency, I think it's unfair and inconsistent that someone who is awesome at drinking and sucks at everything else can get farther than someone who sucks at drinking and is awesome at everything else.
[May 24, 2004 8:19:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Morrigan

aye, table drinking is luck, not skill. Yer winner will be the luckiest pirate in midnight, not the most skilled.
~Beryl
Captain of the Pernicious Plunderers
Queen of the Alliterative Aristocracy
Owner- Terran Wear, Gaea
[May 24, 2004 8:25:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Phwibbles

Shuranthae wrote: 
And as far as consistency, I think it's unfair and inconsistent that someone who is awesome at drinking and sucks at everything else can get farther than someone who sucks at drinking and is awesome at everything else.

But considering there is neither prestige nor prizes for getting to round two, neither one is rewarded above the other. I could sympathize if this were a "cascading" tournament with PoE at stake for each rung of the ladder one climbs, but it's not; it's winner-take-all. It doesn't matter how you organize the rounds because if you suck at any one event then you're not going to make it to the final round and you're going to go home empty-handed.
[May 24, 2004 8:27:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Phwibbles wrote: 
Shuranthae wrote: 
And as far as consistency, I think it's unfair and inconsistent that someone who is awesome at drinking and sucks at everything else can get farther than someone who sucks at drinking and is awesome at everything else.

But considering there is neither prestige nor prizes for getting to round two, neither one is rewarded above the other. I could sympathize if this were a "cascading" tournament with PoE at stake for each rung of the ladder one climbs, but it's not; it's winner-take-all. It doesn't matter how you organize the rounds because if you suck at any one event then you're not going to make it to the final round and you're going to go home empty-handed.

What the hell does prizes have to do with anything? I hate losing. =P

And that's wrong about sucking at any one Event. For example, if you did the Drinking tourney last then chances are there'll be a lot less good drinkers that can survive the other four Rounds. Thus, whatever you choose to do first actually ends up the most important and whatever you do last is the least.
[May 24, 2004 8:30:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cedric

I agree with Shur, you can't eliminate people. If someone really *IS* consistant at all the events, they'll still win, but everyone must have the chance to be tested in all categories.

Go look @ the Tour De France and see if the Winner is the best all around cyclist, even if he isn't the best uphill guy. If you got eliminated by early events, then people who do well in early events have an advantage.
Captain of the Yellow Jackets (Midnight)
Not to be taken internally (or seriously)
May cause rash
[May 24, 2004 8:44:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Maverick1701 [Link]  Go to top 
Phwibbles

Shuranthae wrote: 
And that's wrong about sucking at any one Event. For example, if you did the Drinking tourney last then chances are there'll be a lot less good drinkers that can survive the other four Rounds. Thus, whatever you choose to do first actually ends up the most important and whatever you do last is the least.

I don't see what the problem is, though. If you made the sword-fighting tourney first, then you'd have people voicing the same complaints, except substitute "drinking" with "swordfighting."

I just thought of another problem. The Ocean doesn't have enough public taverns to support all 64 groups of players. There is going to be a lot of chaos as everybody flits around from island to island trying to find an open drinking table. A lot of people will have to job aboard ships, which I see as a burden.

EDIT: Wow, there are a lot of people hung up on the "Best Pirate" semantics. Funny that people would rather ruin someone's good planning over two little words rather than just ask for the topic of this post and some of its phrasing to be changed. Please just get over it.
[May 24, 2004 8:45:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AizIril

The problem is in the structure of the event not the content of the rounds. The fact that the rounds "eliminate" people as they progress is the problem. Structuring it to score points form each round would be better, but it would be much, much harder to organsise, I bet.
[May 24, 2004 8:48:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vurogj

Aye, I'm with Shuranthae on this, I'm a decent pirate, heck, look at me
list o' things I've done that I'm vaguely proud o' doin' but have decided I don't really want posted, sorry guys and gals

I can't drink. Why would I bother enterin', knowin' I have no chance of proceedin' past the first round?

Heh, and a lot o' mates out there are makin' similar points while I'm writin' this. I think the event is a great idea, but elimination after each round should *not* be a part o' it.
Older, crankier,
still haz da phat haiku skillz.
Tawnee on Midnight.
Apollo says, "Tawnee, I should have known you were involved."
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Vurogj at May 24, 2004 8:53:26 AM]
[May 24, 2004 8:53:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    vurogj    vurojg [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Personally I feel that if you're going to have a contest determining the "Best" at something, especially when the contest is determining whether someone is the "Best" all around, it should be accurate and thus be time consuming and a hassle. If the contest isn't accurate then it's not really all that just to claim someone be the "Best" at something. Did I quote "Best" enough here?

But yes, my complaints lie in the fact that the Rounds are elimatory by nature.
[May 24, 2004 8:59:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sea_weasel

Shuranthae wrote: 
What the hell does prizes have to do with anything? I hate losing. =P

Ok I'll give you five reasons for having table-drinking first.

1. It's either swordfighting or drinking first, because there's no good easy way to arrange a loading, cunning or sailing contest for 128-256 people.
2. Everyone gets booze.
3. Everyone is drunk through the following rounds.
4. There will be no byes!
5. The prize winning events(a.k.a the later rounds) should be the more creative one's.

Basically it stood between having swordfighting or drinking first and since I could avoid byes with table drinking this is what I settled for. I appreciate and welcome the criticism, as it'll cost around 500 000 to arrange this thing, but I think you've already made your point. You worry of being eliminated in the first round and that can definately happen anyone but if that happens you'll still have a chance to win 5-10k by sailing aboard the winning vessel.

I'd also like to say that a good pirate NEEDS GOOD LUCK, but I'm still going to be surprised if the winner of this event isn't someone with Ultimate/Legendary in everything or near everything.
[May 24, 2004 9:08:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Morrigan

My complaint is not the eliminatory nature, but the randomness of multi person drinking.
~Beryl
Captain of the Pernicious Plunderers
Queen of the Alliterative Aristocracy
Owner- Terran Wear, Gaea
[May 24, 2004 9:10:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thusnelda

I'm sorry to report that this is a completely invalid contest, as I will be in north-central Illinois attending a family reunion that day, as will Homullus (although his brain will be somewhere else). Thank you.
Madam, proud Looterata
Why are old people playing on this game i dont know its probly something to do with control but its kind of werd. Get a life or a girl friend or mabe even a wife but if your an adult that plays this game your a loser
[May 24, 2004 9:11:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sea_weasel

Phwibbles wrote: 

EDIT: Wow, there are a lot of people hung up on the "Best Pirate" semantics. Funny that people would rather ruin someone's good planning over two little words rather than just ask for the topic of this post and some of its phrasing to be changed. Please just get over it.

Yeah please take the whole "Best Pirate" notion with a pinch of salt, it was meant to be in good fun and not to be taken dead seriously.
[May 24, 2004 9:28:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Forgive me for being hung up on things being incredibly fair, but that's simply the way I am. I see problems, I point them out. If others want to accept/deny/support/fight/change anything, that's their decision to do but it has always been my nature to point out flaws in pretty much everything I can.

Anyway, I have no doubt that this will be a fun Event and that it'll be one that you and others will work hard in running and playing in it. However, as much work and fun as there is to be had that doesn't change where I see the unfairness of it. I have nothing against you running it as is (as it would take a lot more work to make it fair), however as long as it's unfair, regardless of how or why it is, you can't hold it against me to grump about any possible unfairness. Well alright, you could but I simply wouldn't care at that point.
[May 24, 2004 9:59:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

Wow, you people sure can be a wet blanket sometimes.

For the record, I really like the idea, whether I participate or not. And anybody who doesn't like it is free to organize their own pirate decathalon, thank you very much.

Fronsac,
lending moral support in the face of ill-advised skepticism
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[May 24, 2004 10:23:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Phwibbles

Shuranthae wrote: 
however as long as it's unfair, regardless of how or why it is, you can't hold it against me to grump about any possible unfairness. Well alright, you could but I simply wouldn't care at that point.

It isn't "unfair" in any technical sense, so I'd really love to hear your definition of the word. Considering that this Event is a set of self-contained rules and logic, and also that everything "unfair" is what defies a set of laws or conventions, I find your logic paradoxical. In what confines do the rules of this Event exist to be judged, if not separately and completely apart from anything else? How can anything be judged "unfair" when it invents its own rules? "Unfair" would be if someone broke the rules of this Event after agreeing upon them by entering the contest. But what laws or conventions has this Event broken to be judged "unfair"?
[May 24, 2004 10:33:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RobertDonald

Sea_weasel wrote: 
No other crewmember other than they may navigate the vessels.

I'd like some clarification here in case it causes a problem later.

Can another crewmember:
a) Play the navigation PUZZLE.
b) Order the ship to turn about, set sail, put into port, etc.

and obviously not c) battle nav.
Quizzical wrote: 
If winners and losers are arbitrarily chosen by ringers or OM's, then it is no longer even a game. It's just clicking random buttons hoping to be arbitrarily chosen, which becomes stupid really fast.

[May 24, 2004 10:42:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sea_weasel

RobertDonald wrote: 
Sea_weasel wrote: 
No other crewmember other than they may navigate the vessels.

I'd like some clarification here in case it causes a problem later.

Can another crewmember:
a) Play the navigation PUZZLE.
b) Order the ship to turn about, set sail, put into port, etc.

and obviously not c) battle nav.

a) NO. On a war brig the navigation puzzle is the greatest determinant of the ships speed, so what I meant to say was that because this is so important only the captain/shipowner/participant(whatever you want to call them) is allowed to navigate(both in and out of battle).
b)Others are allowed to do this, but I bet it will be easier(and less room for confusion) for them to decide that they do it themselves.
c) Yes, see a.
[May 24, 2004 11:07:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fujiko

Unfair, no. A fun event, yes.

A massive downer for those of us who just don't get drinking, also yes. Drinking being first makest it for me not even worth showing up; people would make the same argument with any puzzle.

I'd love to see a duty puzzle bakeoff with a drinking element and a sword element. Everyone can participate, scores are tallied, everyone gets to try everything, even if they are crap at it.

Hmmmmm.......... that would be fun to run. :)
Fujiko on Cerulean.
WTB: Mako ships, penguins, Neerie's prize-winning egg (a card suits one,) more of Greylady's sixth prize-winning eggs (the penguin one.)
[May 24, 2004 11:47:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 180   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates