• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 16
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2699 times and has 15 replies Next Thread
tw11st38r

Different Pricing for Flag-Members, Crews, etc Reply to this Post

I think it would add a great dynamic to be able to specify different pricing structues (as a store owner) to different people. For example, I'd like to offer Rum for sale at a slightly lower price to crews under the same flag, and slightly higher prices to those that aren't. Maybe my crew is a odds with another crew, and I'd like to jack up my prices to ream that specific crew I don't like.

Any thoughts?

Blackdeath
[Jul 2, 2003 12:18:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Soma

I agree Reply to this Post

We're pirates after all, eh? Even shopkeepers ought to do some more piratical things, those previously mentioned being very important (imo), but what about smuggling and bootlegging as well? While that fits into the realm of traders a bit, I always figured the most successful shopkeeps ought to do a good bit of trading (supply and demand, afterall).
----------------------------------------
Soma
Castaway of Alpha
Survivor of Old Spice & Nyx's Scions
Officer of Black Death
[Jul 2, 2003 1:51:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Re: Different Pricing for Flag-Members, Crews, etc Reply to this Post

Many shopkeepers do their own trading as well. Some don't, but then pay people to do it (as I do, sometimes).

We recently covered the "crew/flag/buddy" pricing already. I wouldn't use it. I think I make more money by being consistently fair, and even if I'm at odds with another crew, them buying stuff from me just funds my efforts against them. I just don't see the point, long-term, in discouraging people from shopping with me.

But actually, nothing is preventing you from offering deals to allies now. You have to manually change the price, but then, so would a real shopkeeper.
[Jul 2, 2003 2:03:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Soma

the catch.. Reply to this Post

is that in my view of the thought, how would anyone be aware that they were getting overcharged? sure you'd let your crew in on it, but in the wider scope of things, I doubt many would be the wiser.
Soma
Castaway of Alpha
Officer of Black Death
[Jul 2, 2003 4:36:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

If it's a discount for crewmates, none would be the wiser until somebody told. If it's a price hike for an enemy crew, any of them logging on with an un-crewed other character would see the price difference.
[Jul 2, 2003 5:13:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Cellophane

I agree with Homullus in that its easier to have a reliable expectation of what price you're going to get at a certain shop regardless of what crew you're in. I dont think its necessary to have certain pay structures for different crews, you can basically do this by hand already, just change the price temporarily. Of course you run the risk of someone else who just happens to be in port at the same time taking advantage, but it seems unlikely, and a little danger makes things more exciting anyways.
[Jul 2, 2003 5:26:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

Well you COULD..... Reply to this Post

And for any kind of consistent price alterations, you'd have to be online almost the whole time - if it's always high, you have to lower it for crew or friends; if it's always low then the crew you intended to hike it for would just order when you weren't around. I play a lot - but not that much!

I've discounted for people - but actually my crews have never asked me to and have never received a discount; mostly I've lowered market price for someone who can't sail until their order is ready, so that they can get out there pillaging.
[Jul 2, 2003 5:29:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Soma

looking at it in black and white terms, aye, of course someone would be the wiser. However, that totally overlook the bigger picture: as a shopkeeper, wouldn't these options only make sense? I know if I were running a shop, I'd prefer me crew gets off without adding so much to my profits as any old random joe. At the same time, ye'd have to be wary not to piss off this or that person, lest you be left without a good supply of rum or shot (granted, could be anything, but that'd surely hurt, no?).

Seems like theres two groups of players, those that see things as they are, and those that see things as they could be. Honestly, I jump back and forth, Im resistant to some of the changes while I'm thinking about some other marvelous things that could pop up. I'm saying this because I think it's important we think beyond the box (don't ask me, Im begging for a good way to put it and I'm on my.. 30th hour of conciousness.), rather than discount something simply because it seems a bit of a stretch. Furthermore, we're now looking at the posibilities of dozens and dozens of shops, where as before we had a set few and we expected it to all run smooth like butter. I want to see some stirring up happening amidst all the other changes that colonization and flags will bring. Not much fun for this pirate in times of peace..
Soma
Castaway of Alpha
Officer of Black Death
[Jul 2, 2003 11:35:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

I have been thinking on this subject quite a bit* lately and I may want to recant my previous position.

lest you be left without a good supply of rum or shot

If we had the ability to alter prices arbitrarily, I think the Salty Mouthfuls would never sail again!

*- [size=9]Not at all actually. Revealing this post so far to be a joke. And a funny one at that. Yup, funny.

Now, on to the meat of the issue: What I'd like to see is some inter-Flag economic warfare. Controlled prices (such as have been described) would allow that, I think. I mean, if the only consequence of a Flag-level rivalry is that we're not afraid to attack a certain segment of player ships...well, what kind of war is that?"

At any rate, I'd like to see there be more consequences to annoying high-level Flag Royalty, and in short, see this game have just a few more teeth. Just my two PoE*.

"- [size=9]The Playmobil kind, that's what. The kind where nobody gets hurt and everyone is special and wonderful and has fun. Which may be exactly what we're aiming for.
*- [size=9]This is a substantial portion of my net worth. Fun fact #18.
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Jul 2, 2003 11:59:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Soma

thank ye Reply to this Post

Just had to extend a word or two of gratitude to ye Fronsac, ye've gotten across what I was trying to get at when my salt addled brain just couldn't get it out.
Soma
Castaway of Alpha
Officer of Black Death
[Jul 3, 2003 12:12:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

I knew what you were saying too (as I said, it's been raised before). I don't even mean to suggest that it shouldn't be part of the game. I believe that economic warfare will be a major source of conflict now that we have islands. I'm just not sure that the shoppe level is the place to do it, so much as at the island market and trade traffic levels. The whole idea at the shoppe level is to have as much money as possible coming in, I think. Plus many island shoppies won't necessarily even be flag partisans. Markets are where you control access to resources . . . and if ye can get rival crews to buy their clothing from your shoppes because yours is cheaper and more readily available than theirs, you aren't aiding their efforts the way cannonballs would, and you may just land yourself some new recruits, when people see your flag much better organized.
[Jul 3, 2003 2:08:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Indeed Reply to this Post

I think that the way this will play out is indeed on the Flag level; the Flag controlling the port may embargo other Flags or Crews (so as to prevent them from just switching flags). Such Trade Embargoes will be quite popular methinks, and an interesting precursor to full-blown flag warfare.
[Jul 3, 2003 2:28:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Soma

I see your point, I suppose while looking towards the future I was still a bit stuck in the current events mode. Things as they stand, what's been discussed would be a big improvement; further on, not so useful. Along with that, things seem to be shaping up a bit differently than I had imagine; though, again, in the future I do expect to see powerful flags 'owning' their own archipeligos, or near to. (sidenote) I was warming up to the idea of setting up a nice little outpost (rum,shot,bank) on an otherwise (resource-wise, at least) useless island that just happened to be the last stop between archipeligos.. Why I'm letting out my future plans, who knows.
Soma
Castaway of Alpha
Officer of Black Death
[Jul 3, 2003 3:54:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

Soma, I had the same exact thought. Are you sure you're not me? What I had wanted was to own the "Last Chance Gas Station" before the Monkey Island Adventure Island*.

The way I figure it, I'll only supply the pirates I like, see...anyone else who wants to go to the MIAI* will be fairly heavily laden, and real nice fodder for pillage. Yeah....

Okay, so planning to blockade Adventure Islands before I even know how they work is likely jumping the gun a little. But it was a thought, and maybe it'll weasel some more information on them Adventure Islands out of our fine devs+.

*- [size=9]Pending inclusion, of course. Otherwise, I'll have to take the Lovecraftian one. Barring that, well...Is the X-rated Adventure Island+ taken?
+- [size=9]I realize the impracticality of this. A pirate can dream, right?
Fronsac, human.

[Jul 3, 2003 6:49:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Soma

hah Reply to this Post

well, us great thinkers often share a thought or two, eh? Seems like a select sort likes the pirates and the puzzles, only makes sense that we bump into eachother now and then. I fear for those of us with similar thoughts, it's going to come down to who thought it earlier and happens to have the cash to back it up. Time to get savin'! (..and perhaps we'd do well to hold in any future plans, haha)
Soma
Castaway of Alpha
Officer of Black Death
[Jul 3, 2003 8:02:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

Oh, I had me another thought on this subject. I think it was while we were drinking. You can tell because my spelling has improved. Har.

Anyway, the whole reason I want shoppe-level price controls is simply one of pettiness. I may have mentioned that before.

That, and I bet Shadow would give me a good price on Rum.

[size=9]If I keep giving my two PoE like this, I'll be broke before you know it!
Fronsac, human.

[Jul 4, 2003 3:15:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates