• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Thread Type: Sticky Thread
Total posts in this thread: 222
Posts: 222   Pages: 8   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 102482 times and has 221 replies Next Thread
Aops

One Pirate's Heartwarming Tale of Subscription Reply to this Post

I have 1 favor to ask.
#1. I got a Trial Account and love PuzzlePirates. However,(I'm not an adult) and my parents will not let me Subscribe. Any ideas on convincing them that Puzzle Pirates is the best buy fer yer money???(Within reason)

In game(Once Subscribed)LukeAlex.
Luck to you all, and have a good game.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Aops at May 11, 2004 11:55:09 AM]
[May 11, 2004 11:55:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Discordia

Re: One Pirate's Heartwarming Tale of Subscription Reply to this Post

You and your parents should read this: http://www.puzzlepirates.com/support/faqs/

After that, you're on your own, mate. I do let my son play (what little he can). As for the cost, it's cheaper than going to the movies once a month, and it's unlimited play.
Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Unknown Greenie wrote: 
My captain said I had to get three broads to be an officer. Can we have that many girlfriends?

[May 11, 2004 12:08:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aops

Thanks! Reply to this Post

Thanks! I'll check out the Link now...
I just cannot even think of walking away from such a game...

LukeAlex.
Edit: Thanks again! Yeah, but still...knew some of that, but some I didn't.
But still, I'll welcome ideas.(Within reason)
I have a question, When you get the e-mail letting you play for free, does it give you the equivalent of a Subscription too???

LukeAlex.
[May 11, 2004 12:10:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lbm

Why are yer parents balking at letting ye subscribe?
If'n it be because of lack of funds I am sure a hearty lad such as yerself could find various age-appropriate jobs around yer house or neighborhood that would help pay fer the game? (like yard work or dog walking or such) Not only would ye be getting good exercise but it would demonstrate to yer parents how important the game be to ye and how ye are willing to work fer the privilege. :)
If'n yer parents are worried about yer safety (and what good parent isn't???) then let them try the game for a bit. We will show 'em we be friendly and fun-loving people! There be many helpful pirates that be watching over ye in our community. ;)

Doubloons have cost exactly the same price for years. 42 dubs for $10.

Oh, what's that? You want it to be easier to play the game FOR FREE? Sorry, kiddo. No sympathy.

[May 11, 2004 12:21:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aops

No luck Reply to this Post

I've asked about working to pay for me subscription...only for some reason beyond me, they do not like it.
Great idea, but hopeless...unless I can somehow get them addicted, I doubt if I can keep playing...easier said than done. I've asked them about trying the game themself, but they will not. They will not even come to this website!
I have enough Cash meself to pay fer a month an a half, but they will not let me use that, for other reasons...

LukeAlex.
[May 11, 2004 12:31:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

Point out that there are no guns, and no-one dies. Its a friendly game full of friendly people.
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[May 11, 2004 1:12:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Renegadeocop

I have two suggestions for you:

1/ Becoming a pirate....
- Insist on going shopping, and buy piratey clothes.
- A sword would be nice as well.
- Change clothes frequently, in the middle of the street/shop/bank/anywhere.
- Challenge your parents to swordfights, and throw lego blocks at them until they collapse in a big plastic heap.
- Ensure your clothes crumble to dust after a few weeks of wearing them.
- Fire cannonballs at your neighbours house in an attempt to sink them.
- No cannonballs? Use cutlery, rubber ducks, pet gerbils, or whatever else comes to hand.
- Play a real life drinking game on the most valuable piece of furniture in your house.
- Insist on carping at the kitchen table. Fill all the holes, doors will do well for this puzzle too.
- Fill the basement with water and bricks, then spend an hour or so swapping the bricks around to try to make the water level go down. If you have any jellyfish lying around, throw them in too. Ignore the fact that if you take out all the bricks, the water level will drop anyway (displacement theory).
- If you feel the need to sail, do so. You can easily make your own sailing puzzle with some sandstone blocks and a window to drop them from. Midair rotation is harder in real life so practice until your rating goes up.
- Navigation will require you to be sat on the roof in the middle of the night. Do this.
- Only speak in piratey language. "HARRR!!" is a good reply to anything anyone says to you.
- Need new clothes? Go try some on, if you don't like them, walk out of the shop still wearing them so they're automatically removed from you.
- Blockade a local shopping mall with a few of your friends.
- Go foraging in the garden, and return with armfuls of wood, stone, or whatever else grows in your garden. Bear in mind that the less there is of something, the more valuable it is, so grab the rare stuff first.

*will update this list later today so check for edits, gotta get to work now*

2/ Convince them with words
- It costs the same per year as a new PS2 game.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Renegadeocop at Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM]
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.saybox.co.uk [Link]  Go to top 
ramirojr

Renegadeocop wrote: 
*will update this list later today so check for edits, gotta get to work now*

Hehe, great list so far! I look forward to seeing the rest in the very near future. :)
My backpacking buddy wrote: 
Remember that time we went through the Hall o'Precedents, then refused t'do it again? That Summer were the best.

[May 11, 2004 6:14:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Willturna

Your best chance is that, for three months you can play a game you like for only 20 dollars, while you can get a PS2 or computer game that you might play for two weeks for over 50 dollars.
Willturna, Senior Officer in Fun House
[May 11, 2004 7:40:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hootymcboob

Also till ya get them to subscribe ya you can make another trial account...beware the 10 account per computer rule though
Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is mystery, But today is a gift, That's why we call it the Present.
[May 11, 2004 10:21:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Handsomeb_gorgeous [Link]  Go to top 
rroberts

I can seem their point though, you might turn out like us if you play this game a lot. That can't be good.

Scarab
--who is turning into a recluse
[May 11, 2004 10:56:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.chestertongrant.co.uk [Link]  Go to top 
Dorel

What are their reasons for not letting you subscribe? Maybe talking about it with them will help them understand why you want to play so much and will help you understand their concerns.

Of course, it may not be the game at all they're concerned about, but rather giving out their credit card number to a company they don't know. A lot of people are still concerned about internet security and giving out their credit card number over the net. I know that my parents probably would've reacted the same way as yours are if I asked them to give their credit card number over the internet.

They might also be worried that you'll get absorbed into the game too much. It might of happened already even. If you spent 4 or 5 hours in front of the computer doing nothing else, I'd be worried as well if I was a parent. Maybe counter this by limiting yourself to one or two hours a day? Join activities, extra curicular stuff. By voluntarily limiting your playtime, you're making a mature decision and show that you are willing to work towards compromise. This might help them see your point.

Also note that talking about it calmly while respecting their decision will only help your cause. If you go up to them every hour and go "Please let me subscribe! Pleeeeaaase!" won't help you out. Ask them, and if they say no, go out and earn your money anyways. Then, after a week or two, approach them again and explain that you've worked hard to earn the money.

Note however that these aren't surefire solutions, and they still might decide to not let you play. And, truth be told, the decision really is up to them. Just remember that they are doing this with your best interests in mind, even if they are going under false assumptions.
Hermes wrote: 
Gather round, folks, for the Ballad of Dorel the Invulnerable!
silverkitty wrote: 
The ocean is dangerous, bring a lifejacket.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Dorel at May 11, 2004 11:04:27 PM]
[May 11, 2004 11:04:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    CeeJayDorel [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

Yeah, don't be like Scarab.

-Stevedave

Who hasn't seen daylight in months.
[May 11, 2004 11:05:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Kilbia

Dorel wrote: 
Note however that these aren't surefire solutions, and they still might decide to not let you play. And, truth be told, the decision really is up to them. Just remember that they are doing this with your best interests in mind, even if they are going under false assumptions.

Sorry, just needed to re-quote this.

I just had to deal with a similar situation with Amtgard. One of our 12-year old players wanted to ride with me to a camping event, and I had to insist that I would leave him behind unless I got to speak with one of his parents/legal guardians before the event and know they were okay with the idea. He's finally starting to realize that he's going to have to build his parents' trust in the game and in the people who play it before he'll be allowed to do much more than show up to the local park every weekend.

I've also had kids come up to me and express interest in the game, but lament that their parents wouldn't let them play because it contains elements of violence, and of magic (which in their eyes is demonic). And I've had to tell them that if their parents object, I can't let them play. And I'm sure as heck not going to lie to them about how the game works.

Do I sometimes think these parents are being unreasonable or overly protective? Yes. Does that give me the right to usurp their authority, or to encourage the kids to defy them? Absolutely not. (And in my particular case, I could've been slapped with kidnapping charges if I'd just up and given the kid a ride.)

Aops, you've been given a lot of advice on how to demonstrate your maturity and how to build their understanding about this game, and I really hope it works for you. But if all of it still comes to naught, you're going to have to accept that you don't have much recourse 'til you hit the age of majority.
Fetal Pirate courtesy of http://www.queenofwands.net/
[May 12, 2004 12:13:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

lbm wrote: 
If'n yer parents are worried about yer safety (and what good parent isn't???) then let them try the game for a bit. We will show 'em we be friendly and fun-loving people! There be many helpful pirates that be watching over ye in our community. ;)

Depending on what their actual objections are, this one might cover a lot of them. Let them see what you're doing. Heck, show them this discussion.

Edit: I forgot their reluctance to look at it. Maybe trade some chores for having them at least LOOK at it?
[May 12, 2004 12:50:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
CandyK

While your parents will be the ones who decide what is best for you, show them this thread.

One year ago, my daughter-in-law introduced my son to this game. She knew my rules regarding computer safety. She explained to me that this was a great game for my son. While he was playing, I would lurk over his shoulder as I often did when he was on the computer. In time, he made a pirate just for me and turned me into a bilge rat. I can't begin to tell you all the safety rules built into this game. I heartily endorse it. Our crew itself is based on being family friendly. In the course of the game my son has learned so much.
1. Budgeting--working for everything you own
2. Making decisions--and how to deal with making a bad choice
3. Economics--how they apply in real life as well as in the game
4. Politics and their affect on your crew and flag
5. History--learning from the mistakes of previous events
6. Leadership--gaining the respect of others
7. Friendships--how to choose good friends and stay away from those who might cause you or your crew/flag harm
8. Information--reading for understanding in the forums to learn how to do something new or improve on what you are already doing
9. Discussions----with other crew and flag mates, as well as with me--communication skills are highly used in this game
10.Planning time--he is very active in school (honor roll), theater, music, and with real life friends. Real life first--plays the game for fun.
11. International Culture--the puzzle pirate community consists of people from all over the world. Learn about their holidays, languages, and even geography.
12. Nemo's Art thread in Shore Leave--tips for the aspiring artists and sharing of their work.

I am sure I will think of more benefits and will edit this list as I do.

Of all the games out there that I have seen, this is the most educational, clean cut, non-violent game one can find. Take a test run with your child and see for yourself. You will be laughing and talking together many times. In case you are wondering, well, my lad is but 14. Ole mum here is 50+. :)

Edit: written based on my experiences in the Azure and Midnight Oceans
Limeysmum, forever a Yarrrrrr Pirate, but now in the Limelight in a Twisted way!

homullus wrote: 

... kids aren't adults, and do stupid stuff sometimes because their brains aren't all set up yet.

[Edit 3 times, last edit by CandyK at May 12, 2004 1:32:38 AM]
[May 12, 2004 1:32:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ramirojr

AND, Puzzle Pirates just won a Webby (judged by DAVID BOWIE!!!!! among others) for Best Online Game. David Bowie wouldn't endorse a bad game, lemme tell ya.
My backpacking buddy wrote: 
Remember that time we went through the Hall o'Precedents, then refused t'do it again? That Summer were the best.

[May 12, 2004 1:51:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

- Challenge your parents to swordfights, and throw lego blocks at them until they collapse in a big plastic heap.

Hahahahaahha!

atteSmythe,
who may try this trick to get his wife playing again

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[May 12, 2004 2:06:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Aops

Thank ye! Reply to this Post

Nice ideas all! Some ideas were a little, um, radical, but I can use them as last resorts...I know! I'll insist on playing Pirates games with them! The bed is yer ship, if ye fall of......*rambles on totally forgetting about everyone else*
Again, nice ides!!!*Whisks out pen and paper from ye magical winds*

LukeAlex.
P.S. Anyone told someone from "The Pilliaging Raiders" of me plight yet?
[May 12, 2004 4:18:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Discordia

Re: Thank ye! Reply to this Post

Aops wrote: 

P.S. Anyone told someone from "The Pilliaging Raiders" of me plight yet?

I sent your captain a msg today.
Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Unknown Greenie wrote: 
My captain said I had to get three broads to be an officer. Can we have that many girlfriends?

[May 12, 2004 4:38:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aops

Thank ye! Reply to this Post

Thank you, Discordia.
I've looked at all the ideas, and i've chosen my 10 favorites.

LukeAlex.
P.S. How do I start another Trial account? It keeps giving me my used Account and gives me no "New" Account options.
P.S. I still appreciate ideas, folks!
[May 12, 2004 4:56:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ivan256

Lizzie wrote: 
Point out that there are no guns, and no-one dies. Its a friendly game full of friendly people.

Nobody dies, and there are friendly people, but there *are* guns. In fact there's a whole puzzle just for loading them.

Get your parents to try it! Once they get hooked, they'll see why you want to sign up too.
Baldwin - Senior Officer, Six Leagues Under - Midnight ocean

Formerly: Baldwin - Captain of the Blood Brothers, King of Ruby Phoenix.
[May 12, 2004 5:41:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aops

Problem Reply to this Post

Ivan256 wrote: 
Lizzie wrote: 

Nobody dies, and there are friendly people, but there *are* guns. In fact there's a whole puzzle just for loading them.

Get your parents to try it! Once they get hooked, they'll see why you want to sign up too.

As i've already stated they refuse to try it out, and refuse to come here.

LukeAlex.
[May 12, 2004 5:55:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Print it out and show it to them?
[May 12, 2004 6:03:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Crooktooth

Sounds to me like we need an intervention. Everybody grab yer piraty clothes and head fer Aops' house. We'll blockade the driveway until his folks submit.

(Then we start building the fort in the back yard)
Putting live chickens in my enemy's underwear since December '03!
Avvy by Sancha!
Sloganizer says: "Crooktooth Prevents That Sinking Feeling."
[May 12, 2004 6:03:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://stoneknivesandbearskins.blogspot.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Aops

Um... Reply to this Post

Crooktooth wrote: 
Sounds to me like we need an intervention. Everybody grab yer piraty clothes and head fer Aops' house. We'll blockade the driveway until his folks submit.

If I did Print it they probably would throw the pages away and blame me for wasting paper on something that they think is dumb.
Hope you have a Concorde, Crooktooth, I live in Maine.
Although that's not a bad idea, a Blockade. Like someone said, I could play that I was Carpentering(Carping) and board up the doors. Our windows are high enough up so that if you jumped out one it would be painful. There is 1 window, but its halfway down a set of stairs... That would leave them only our cellar windows. Of course, those windows are tiny...*looks around nervously*say, I'll wait for Crooktooth and the others before I try that......I always wanted a tree fort...

LukeAlex.
The desperate desperado desperate for other desperados help(Har, har!)
[May 12, 2004 6:23:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Discordia

Crooktooth wrote: 

Sinking or non-sinking?

Unknown Greenie wrote: 

[May 12, 2004 6:24:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
zamorak

You can always bring up on how social the game is. Its not like other games that you can spend hours on in without talking to some one. Here you can spend some time playing the puzzle and then talking with your mates, and it really does teach you communication skills. And it helps your typing skills a lot. You never know if you might need those skills when you get a job and all.
Ebag
Nemo wrote: 
What did you do? You're the cute little Fatpants! You're the Bugbear! You're the Chubby Buggy! Look at those cheeks! You are the Chunkamunk! Chubbabubba!

[May 12, 2004 6:27:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aops

Nice Reply to this Post

zamorak wrote: 
You can always bring up on how social the game is. Its not like other games that you can spend hours on in without talking to some one. Here you can spend some time playing the puzzle and then talking with your mates, and it really does teach you communication skills. And it helps your typing skills a lot. You never know if you might need those skills when you get a job and all.

Nice idea,but I doubt if they'd care...

LukeAlex.
Edit I'll be Offline till maybe 8:00. If I can't get on then, expect me to be on sometime tomorrow. However, keep the ideas coming...
[May 12, 2004 6:36:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

Feeling a bit poetic I guess. wonder why? Reply to this Post

Point'em at the Loots. Anyone who thinks they're a bad influence (or ignores'em) won't ever be convinced. I'll tell you, even I learned stuff here--I'd've never found out what a trochee was if it weren't for those crazy fellows.

Haha, just thought of a proper warning for players of Y!PP:
Caution: Puzzles may cause an increase in planning ability, cognitive function, and economy of movement. People here are friendly, courteous, and responsive, and exposure to all these factors may indeed make you smarter. Beware!

Or you can do what I do, and exist primarily on the forum. We got a few people like that, come to think on it. I'm certain you can find an adequate solution no matter what happens.

Honor thy elders for right or for wrong
Does not mean that by them you are bound
But down your path you should ask before long
If their fiat now made has a basis sound?

or, in other words

Communication
Is the mouth and the delta
The river of life
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[May 12, 2004 7:45:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 222   Pages: 8   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates