• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 110
Posts: 110   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 28101 times and has 109 replies Next Thread
Bia
OceanMaster

Tri-Duty Bake-Offs. Four familiars per ocean in prizes! Reply to this Post

Read all the instructions. The rules are somewhat complex.

Host: Minthe
Participation Limit: Approximately 150 (but see below)

This month, the bake-offs will run on each ocean to test the skill of pirates at all three of the basic duty stations. Each ocean will see four familiars awarded - one coloured and three tan, for showcasing excellence in the duty puzzles.

It is expected that the event will take about 3-4 hours to complete.

Preliminary Rounds:
  • On each Ocean, there will be a series of preliminary rounds, one for each puzzle.
  • The rounds will be run in sequence and posted separately on the notice board.
  • The notice will be posted for ten minutes, with an additional five minutes allowed if participation numbers are low.
  • Players will not be jobbed for the rounds. Using the notice board is the only way to participate.
  • Once the notice has left the notice board, the round will be run for approximately ten minutes in Sea Battle.
  • During the round, players must play the designated duty puzzle.
  • Upon return to port, the duty report will be noted.
  • The top five players on the duty report will receive a bye to attend the finals. They will be jobbed into the event crew to facilitate this.
  • All other players who score an Incredible or an Excellent will be noted.
  • The notice for the next round will be posted as designated by the schedule.
  • Each preliminary round will take place aboard a separate ship.

Advancement to the finals
  • The top five players in each preliminary round will advance to the finals, for a total of fifteen.
  • The rest of the finalists will be determined by the scoring of the duty reports.
  • At least twenty-five more finalists will be chosen, but no more than forty-five will be chosen.
  • Determination shall be done as follows:
    1: Incredible at all puzzles.
    2: Incredible at two, Excellent at one.
    3: Incredible at one, Excellent at two.
    4: Excellent at all three.
    5: Incredible at two.
    6: Incredible at one, Excellent at one
    7: Excellent at two.
    8: Incredible at one.
    9: Excellent at one.

• Players will be added based on the above criteria until the total number of finalists is greater than forty. Subsequent criteria will be allowed so long as the total does not increase beyond sixty.
  • In the event that there is a group that must be added to bring the total above forty, but adding that group will bring the total above sixty, I shall determine a fair method to choose who will advance to the finals.
  • The finalists will all be jobbed into the event crew. Finalists will not be jobbed more than once.
  • As noted, the top five in each puzzle will automatically advance to the finals, so they do not need to play in the other preliminary rounds, but may choose to do so.

Final Round
  • The finals will take place aboard a grand frigate with sixty of each station.
  • There will be three separate final rounds, one for each station.
  • Each station round will last fifteen minutes in sea battle.
  • The ship will return to port. The duty report will be copied.
  • All players must leave all stations upon the return to port.
  • Once everyone has left stations, the next puzzle will be declared and the ship will leave port again.
  • Once all three puzzle rounds have finished, scores will be tabulated. The ranking on the duty reports will be added together to give each player an aggregate score. The lowest aggregate score will win.
  • In the event of a tie for any place below first, multiple prizes will be awarded for that place.
  • In the event of a tie for first, those involved will play an emergency puzzle of my choosing to determine a winner.

Prizes
    Participants may only receive one prize. In the event that a player qualifies for two or more prizes, that player must choose one to have. The others will be granted to the next qualified contenders.
  • The overall winner will receive a coloured familiar.
  • The player who achieved first place in each of the preliminary rounds will receive a tan familiar. An octopus for bilging, a monkey for carpentry, and a parrot for sailing.
  • 2nd, 3rd: A sleeping animal furniture item.
  • 4th, 5th: An artifact furniture item.
  • 6th - 10th: A crate of gold herbs or spices.
  • 11th - 20th: A bouquet of orchids.
  • All other finalists shall receive a starfish.

Schedule:
    Midnight - Wednesday, October 17
    4:00pm - Notice posted for Bilging Preliminary.
    4:45pm - Notice posted for Sailing Preliminary.
    5:30pm - Notice posted for Carpentry Preliminary.

Viridian - Friday, October 19
    1:00am - Notice posted for Bilging Preliminary.
    1:45am - Notice posted for Sailing Preliminary.
    2:30am - Notice posted for Carpentry Preliminary.

Cobalt - Wednesday, October 24
    5:00pm - Notice posted for Bilging Preliminary.
    5:45pm - Notice posted for Sailing Preliminary.
    6:30pm - Notice posted for Carpentry Preliminary.

Hunter - Friday, October 26

Sage - Sunday, October 28
    8:00pm - Notice posted for Bilging Preliminary.
    8:45pm - Notice posted for Sailing Preliminary.
    9:30pm - Notice posted for Carpentry Preliminary.

----------------------------------------
    [Edit 7 times, last edit by Bia at Oct 24, 2007 4:34:50 PM]
  • [Oct 2, 2007 8:15:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Jolyma

Re: Tri-Duty Bake-Offs. Four familiars per ocean in prizes! Reply to this Post

Wow this sounds awesome! Finally something that gives someone who is very good at everything a chance over someone who is fabulous at one thing, but not the others.

Now to go to bed early that Thursday so I can be up at 4:30 AM on that Friday. /me marks her calendar.
    Jolyma

[Oct 3, 2007 7:07:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Patetch

This event sounds interesting, I just may have to try my hand at it :)

Participants may only receive one prize. In the event that a player qualifies for two or more prizes, that player must choose one to have. The others will be granted to the next qualified contenders.

This would be awesome if there were some way to enforce this across oceans (you qualified for a sleeping animal on Midnight or an artifact on Sage, which one do you want?) However, I don't see a way to do this without a lot of delay and extra work.

I still think an official, "Please only participate on one ocean" statement would go a long way towards making things available to more people (and no, I am probably not one of those people.) Sure, it wouldn't stop everyone, but it would at least cut back on the ones that do it simply because they have not been told they shouldn't. I have yet to see the ones who say they participate on multiple oceans just for the challenge of it turn down any prizes they won.
    Pletoo of Sage
    [Oct 3, 2007 7:58:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    mari_

Thanks for yet again putting bake-offs at times totally unsuitable to us Europeans, yet again they are mid-week and at a crappy time.

Not happy!!
    Calamarie - now also in Obsidian flavour!
    Dignity - Emerald

"Always remember... Rumours are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots."

The Shadow is in my very core ;)
    [Oct 3, 2007 8:08:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Talisker

Man, I was worried. We almost made it 12 hours without a complaint about the times.

I'm glad we have one that I can actually participate in. I look forward to losing horribly to Shuranthae.
    Leif
    The Forums
    Gunnermooch wrote: 
    I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
    [Edit 1 times, last edit by Talisker at Oct 3, 2007 8:22:36 AM]
    [Oct 3, 2007 8:22:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Patetch

It looks like a variety of days and times to me, I haven't researched but it seems like the days and times for each ocean are different than they were for the conch bake-offs. It just isn't possible to please every timezone on every ocean.
    Pletoo of Sage
    [Oct 3, 2007 8:23:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    slntslayer

Can't please everyone.

This should be rather interesting, might be able to get myself to join and fail miserably.
    When all else fails, go blow something up.
    I'm a BK hunting trollop, and how!
    Rehio wrote: 
    There's gotta be some law that prohibits Rashnu from having any sort of contact with greenies.

Rashnu
    i R slo kiddo.....
    [Oct 3, 2007 10:01:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    B_licker

If a player scores in the top 5 in two different preliminaries, does that mean that there's one less bye or will you give a bye to a 6th place person?
    What is the max number of players for each preliminary?
    You don't have to play in all three preliminaries, but doing so will improve your chances of making the finals, right?
    Whisking for each preliminary is independent, so there's a chance that a person could get squeezed out of one of the preliminaries if the ship fills up, right?
    [Edit 2 times, last edit by B_licker at Oct 3, 2007 10:29:28 AM]
    [Oct 3, 2007 10:22:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Dylan

If a player scores in the top 5 in two different preliminaries, does that mean that there's one less bye or will you give a bye to a 6th place person? What is the max number of players for each preliminary?

The way I understand it is that as soon as you get in the top 5 in either of the first two preliminaries, you go straight to the other crew, and sit around and wait.

The top 5 in the final preliminary also go straight through, even if they only scored a single excellent to do so, and goods or lower in the first two prelims.

Only after that are the extra 25-45 people added.
    [Oct 3, 2007 10:31:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    B_licker

If a player scores in the top 5 in two different preliminaries, does that mean that there's one less bye or will you give a bye to a 6th place person? What is the max number of players for each preliminary?

The way I understand it is that as soon as you get in the top 5 in either of the first two preliminaries, you go straight to the other crew, and sit around and wait.

The top 5 in the final preliminary also go straight through, even if they only scored a single excellent to do so, and goods or lower in the first two prelims.

Only after that are the extra 25-45 people added.

Well, the rules state:

As noted, the top five in each puzzle will automatically advance to the finals, so they do not need to play in the other preliminary rounds, but may choose to do so.

There's also a tan familiar up for grabs in each prelim, so I can see lots of people trying to enter all three even if they've already made the final.
    [Oct 3, 2007 10:34:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Dylan

Ah good point. In that case, if there are repeat top 5s and thus fewer than 15 automatic qualifiers, I'd expect the same method to be used - the minimum of 40 and maximum of 60 being the important figures rather than 25-45 extra.

Incidentally, since 3 excellents are better than 2 incredibles and a good (for example), a score of 4 for each incredible and 3 for each excellent in the preliminaries would allow an easy spreadsheet to be used. Those are minimal integers and lead to totals of 12 down to 3 missing out only 5. A value of 13 or higher (22 is faster to type) could be entered for top 5 qualifiers, so that they always get through. Then the value of E62 (=SUM(B62..D62)) after sorting on that column is the score which gets eliminated.
    [Oct 3, 2007 10:51:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Stephensam

Bia, you host the greatest bakeoff ever. ^_^
    Stevensam -Cobalt Native, founder and host of The PoE is Right. Creator of Lime Day.
    [Oct 3, 2007 10:57:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Stevensam [Link]  Go to top 
    Cambiata

hmmm I guess I will just have to set my allarm for this one. But sounds like a sweet bake off. =D
    Cambiata,
    ~Currently pillaging the Obsidian Ocean~
    from the Viridian (now Meridian) ocean

[Oct 3, 2007 11:08:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://cambiata.deviantart.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
    Karuru1

I was "almost getting the idea of lynching someone"when i saw this. Though luckily i saw it was in the autumn holiday, so for the other one that posted: you might want to look at your holidays.
    Anyway thanks for a well (and also (partially)euro-friendly) planned event!
    Karuru
    Senior officer of "Dogs of war"
    Member of Cry Havoc

Buying treasure chests/piles
    [Oct 3, 2007 11:33:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    sweetnessc

My head is already hurting at imagining the labour involved to figure out who advances. :-) Very nice event, love the love for the true pirates.
    My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
    [Oct 3, 2007 11:46:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    PRiNCiSH

I have yet to calculate the the time for me but even if I can't make it this is totally great !

Thanks for the great effort You're putting into this I know it'll be stressful and totally spammy as hell so Thanks !

I hope you make this on monthly or at least regular basis .. Something to look forward too =D

Cheers
    Prince
    [Edit 1 times, last edit by PRiNCiSH at Oct 3, 2007 12:01:17 PM]
    [Oct 3, 2007 11:58:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    swimer2

I can't make this because of time zones, but, this sounds like a great event, and thank you for putting time and effort into this!
    Admire, Hunter Ocean.

[Oct 3, 2007 12:58:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Joekickasfor

hmmm I guess I will just have to set my allarm for this one.

Yea, 3am my time v.v

I'll try and be there :)
    Joekickas from Hunter
    Senior officer and first mate of -Frozen-
    Lord of Access Denied

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/SchwaWarrior/YPP/Card_Joekickas.png

may be slow when answering PMs...
    [Oct 3, 2007 2:22:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    asterisk0

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
    It's like 4:00 in the morning for me!!!!!!!!!!!
    -----------------
    Stupidity on the Hunter Ocean
    click this:
    http://s2.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=177151
    [Oct 3, 2007 4:55:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Rohane

:( That means I'll be either going to bed at 3:30 PM on Thursday to wake up and stay awake from 1:00-possibly 4:30+ AM on Friday, WHICH happens to be a schoolday.

Bah Humbug. Ye Ringers are making it a wee bit hard fer me to get me beloved monkey arn't ye.
    ~Rohane
    No one agrees with him. Then again he doesn't agree with anyone else either.

http://www.phpbbplanet.com/roms/
    The link above is for my own personal benifit. kkthnxbai
    [Edit 1 times, last edit by Rohane at Oct 3, 2007 7:33:58 PM]
    [Oct 3, 2007 7:33:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Bia
    OceanMaster

If a player scores in the top 5 in two different preliminaries, does that mean that there's one less bye or will you give a bye to a 6th place person?

I will extend the bye to the next player on the report.

What is the max number of players for each preliminary?

The limit of a grand frigate, minus one.

You don't have to play in all three preliminaries, but doing so will improve your chances of making the finals, right?

That is correct. You may, if you believe you are good enough in the third puzzle, choose to skip the first two in hopes you will achieve a top five standing to guarantee advancement. However, if you miss, your chances will be reduced considerably.

Whisking for each preliminary is independent, so there's a chance that a person could get squeezed out of one of the preliminaries if the ship fills up, right?

That is correct. However, I will be running the event off of an uncolonised island. There should be sufficient time between the end of one round for everyone to leave the ship and start looking at the notice board to wait for the notice. I may even shout an announcement on the island so everyone will know that I am about to post it.
    [Oct 3, 2007 7:52:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    firechic0

Sqweeee! I get out of work at the bar around 3am and this starts at 4am for me! /me does a happy dance because I can never get to sleep for at least three hours after working with a bunch of drunks while I'm sober... it's too entertaining!
    Crazy MaryJo- Viridian~proud Mama of a little pirate!biggrinBorn:11/21/08
    Shorty Jack wrote: 
    Just because you started the thread doesn't mean everyone is talking to you. tongue

[Oct 3, 2007 7:57:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    mhje

Thanks for yet again putting bake-offs at times totally unsuitable to us Europeans, yet again they are mid-week and at a crappy time.

Not happy!!

They don't like us Europeans.. Maybe it's cause Kraken dwelled off the coasts of Norway and Iceland?
    Mikael @ Cobalt Ocean
    [Oct 3, 2007 8:06:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    scm621

Not happy!!

Oh, whine whine whine. Look at the times again.

4:00pm-5:30pm for the beginning of preliminary rounds on TWO oceans...starts late and requires a late night, but definitely doable for Europeans. Fine for US, any time zone.

1:00am-2:30am for the beginning of the preliminary rounds on TWO oceans...a really bad time for all Americans, GREAT for Europeans. Yes, it does fall during the work day on a Friday, but hey, all but ONE are on weekdays.

8:00pm-9:30pm on ONE ocean. This time is terrible for Europeans, and starts late for east coast US but is still doable.

I know nothing about Australian timezones, but the 1-2:30 times are great for them too, if nothing else.

So, let's summarize:

West coast US: 3 good times, 2 bad times
    East coast US: 3 good times, 2 bad times
    West Europe: 4 good times, 1 bad time
    Mid/East Europe: 2-4 good times (depending on exact time), 1-3 bad times

So yeah, that's thoroughly tragic for you.

EDIT: Eek math skills
    Searmin of the Midnight Ocean
    Currently unaffiliated
    [Edit 2 times, last edit by scm621 at Oct 3, 2007 10:06:20 PM]
    [Oct 3, 2007 9:50:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Stephensam

Would you allow someone to win all four of the familiars on one ocean? If the pirate placed top in each puzzle and in the final, wouldn't they win all of the familiars? or are you limiting it?
    Stevensam -Cobalt Native, founder and host of The PoE is Right. Creator of Lime Day.
    [Oct 3, 2007 9:56:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Stevensam [Link]  Go to top 
    Bia
    OceanMaster

Would you allow someone to win all four of the familiars on one ocean? If the pirate placed top in each puzzle and in the final, wouldn't they win all of the familiars? or are you limiting it?

[Oct 3, 2007 10:06:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    mari_

Not happy!!

Oh, whine whine whine. Look at the times again.

4:00pm-5:30pm for the beginning of preliminary rounds on TWO oceans...starts late and requires a late night, but definitely doable for Europeans. Fine for US, any time zone.

1:00am-2:30am for the beginning of the preliminary rounds on TWO oceans...a really bad time for all Americans, GREAT for Europeans. Yes, it does fall during the work day on a Friday, but hey, all but ONE are on weekdays.

8:00pm-9:30pm on ONE ocean. This time is terrible for Europeans, and starts late for east coast US but is still doable.

I know nothing about Australian timezones, but the 1-2:30 times are great for them too, if nothing else.

So, let's summarize:

West coast US: 3 good times, 2 bad times
    East coast US: 3 good times, 2 bad times
    West Europe: 4 good times, 1 bad time
    Mid/East Europe: 2-4 good times (depending on exact time), 1-3 bad times

So yeah, that's thoroughly tragic for you.

EDIT: Eek math skills

Tragic? They are mid-week for those who work and have school, and being in the UK so the shortest time difference to the US a 4pm PDT start happens to be midnight start, so thats midnight-4am if a person goes all the way and it last up to 4 hours. Thats the sub oceans covered. Now the other times 1am PDT - 9am start in the morning, again nigh on impossible for those who work of have school. So whining? Yes a little. Factual about the inconvenience of times? Aye and I stand by being unhappy.

Am wondering why no noon PDT ones? Or is this because of the fact it's during the work/school day for America?
    Calamarie - now also in Obsidian flavour!
    Dignity - Emerald

"Always remember... Rumours are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots."

The Shadow is in my very core ;)
    [Oct 4, 2007 12:09:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    sol888

the time great, relatively, for Australians - 9am on a saturday =D [+10 gmt]...

Well soo much better than the last bake off on viridian... was 12noon pirate time... 5am on a monday morning aussie time... i had to do an all nighter... then go to school x].. rofl

neways always love bakeoffs good luck everyone..
    Zanarq
    Flirt of the crew Golden Horizon Renegades
    Viridian Sea
    [Oct 4, 2007 3:19:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    unnoticeable

As this happens during my holidays I'm not going to whine about the time. And yeah I love you now Bia and I want to thank you on the behalf of all the people who are half decent in all puzzles, but not great in any. <3
    Niasha
    [Oct 4, 2007 3:20:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Bia
    OceanMaster

Am wondering why no noon PDT ones? Or is this because of the fact it's during the work/school day for America?

Because I am never awake at noon PDT.
    [Oct 4, 2007 6:08:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Posts: 110   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
    [Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates