• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 137
Posts: 137   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 25024 times and has 136 replies Next Thread
Apollo
OceanMaster

September Familiar Auction: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak! Reply to this Post

Deadline: Noon PDT on Saturday 22nd September.

Please read this post thoroughly - it's a complex auction! The first challenge will be in working out what you need to bid! In particular, read the "Overall Score - IMPORTANT" section, as it may affect your strategy.

I have to collect the equipment I need for my next year at Hogwarts. Unfortunately, I just can't get all the way to Diagon Alley, so I need your help.

The person on each ocean who can provide me with the most equipment for my school year will be rewarded with a familiar of their choice. Here's the list of things I need - you should be providing items from every category. Note, however, that you don't need to provide every item on the list - as long as you cover one of the items on each category list, you're fine.

Equipment list

Clothing
I need plenty of clothes, so that my friends and I are well provided with plain robes, dress robes and casual wear. We can use nearly anything, with just a few exceptions:
* I don't want any rags or bandanas
* I'm not interested in gold clothing - that's *so* Gilderoy Lockhart
* No tiaras or crowns (in this category - but see later)
Each item of clothing is worth one point.
An item of clothing is as used in the game (e.g. a pair of fancy boots is one item of clothing, not two).
Bonus point: there will be a one-off five-point bonus available in the clothing category if you provide me with an all-yellow musketeer hat or an all-yellow muffin hat.

Broomsticks
A mixture of misadventure and misfortune means that I get through broomsticks unusually quickly. Please provide me with sticks to ensure a good supply of handles during the year.
Each stick is worth one point.
There are no bonus points available in this category.

Classroom equipment
I spend most lessons chatting to my friends and channeling the emotions of somebody else, but occasionally I'm required to do some reading or writing.
Blotter
Books
Notebooks
Paper and Quill
Scroll and quill
Scrolls
Each item is worth one point.
Bonus point: there will be one-off five-point bonus available in the classroom equipment category if you provide me with a parrot feather (for those occasions where I need a special quill)

Care of magical creatures
Fish
Pets (other than rats)
Sleeping animals
Bird cage
Bonus point: there will be a one-off five-point bonus available in the care of magical creatures category if you provide me with a familiar (any color).

Potions
Whisking potions
Healing potions
Appearance alteration potions
Crates of herbs
Crates of spices
Alchemicals
Whisking potions are worth one point no matter how many swigs are left.
Bonus point: There will be a one-off five-point bonus if you provide me with a hair control potion. I can never make my hair sit flat!

Dueling Club
For dueling club, I need any bludgeons other than fish.
Each bludgeon is worth one point.

Defense against the Dark Arts
Skulls won from skeletons
Skull furniture (just the skull object, not skellie furniture)
Piles of pillows
Patterned pillow
Striped pillow
Marauders' Maps (Inter-archipelago charts)

Special Items
Apparently I need to find some items. I'm sure if I collect enough of these things, the right one will turn up.
Helga Hufflepuff: any mug
Godric Gryffindor: any sword other than foils and sticks
Rowena Ravenclaw: any tiara or crown
Bonus points: There will be a one-off five-point bonus available if you provide me with a festive fir, to save Hagrid some work.

Overall score - IMPORTANT

It's no use to me if I end up with 800 sticks and no pants. I need a good balance of equipment. Therefore your points are limited by your lowest-scoring category. The points total in your lowest scoring category is considered your baseline score. You cannot claim more than twice your baseline score in any other category. If your baseline (your lowest score among the categories) is 10 points, then you cannot claim more than 20 points in any other category, regardless of how many eligible items you are able to bid in those categories.

Notes on Scoring

* Add up the points for the items you are bidding in each category.
* Bonus points: where bonus points are available, these will only be scored once. For example, in the clothing categoy, only one 5 point bonus is available, even if you provide five yellow musketeer hats (the joy!). Of course, the other four hats will still count for the regular points.
* Add the regular points and bonus points up in each category so that you have an initial score for each category.
* According to the "Overall score - IMPORTANT" section above - find your lowest category score, and ensure that you are not claiming more than double that score in any other category.
* You can then calculate your overall bid score - and this is the score that appears in your PM subject.

Sending in your bid
* You must send your bid by PM to account TweakAuction
* The subject of the PM must follow the format:

Ocean / Pirate name / Overall score

e.g. Sage / Apollo / 65

* The body of the PM must contain the following information:

Pirate name:
Ocean:
Pirate holding all items:
Will the pirate named be holding all items at the deadline?:

Category scores claimed (once adjusted for the scoring limits):
Clothing:
Broomsticks:
Classroom equipment:
Care of magical creatures:
Potions:
Dueling Club:
Defense against the dark arts:
Special items:

Overall score claimed:

Familiar species you want:
Familiar color(s):

Notes:

* Please note that you do not need to provide every item on a category list. You must have points in each category, but they can all come from one item type if you wish. For example, in the Defense Against the Dark Arts category, you may choose to provide all your points with pillows, and provide no skulls or charts.
* All items must be held on a single named alt. The alt should not be holding any clothes, familiars, swords, mugs, bludgeons, pets, furniture, charts, potions, trinkets, etc, other than those bid in the auction.
* I am not responsible for items that dust when you move them to your alt. Items must be in the alt's inventory when I do the transfer to count towards your score. I suggest that items most likely to perish (such as fish) are the last things moved to your alt. I will not need to log the alt on to check the items, so you do not need to be worried about things dusting that way.
* Yes, I know that I've given expensive items and cheap items the same points value. It is entirely your choice what you bid.
* Remember that you cannot claim more than double your baseline score in any category.
* PMs that are sent to the incorrect forum account will be deleted without reply.
* PMs that do not exactly follow the subject format will be ignored without reply.
* There's always someone who copies my example subject line without editing in their own details. *grins* Copy the format, but update with your OWN details.
* PMs that do not contain all relevant information will be deemed invalid.
* Scoring errors: bids that claim more points than they are entitled to will be deemed invalid. Bids that claim fewer points than they are entitled to will be allowed.
* Multiple PMs: to allow for a substantial improvement in bid, or to correct an error, you may send ONE repeat PM for each auction. If you send more than two in total, however, you will be disqualified from the auction.
* This auction covers Midnight, Cobalt, Viridian, Sage and Hunter. You may bid on multiple oceans. You must send in a PM bid separately for each ocean, and remember to adjust the PM subject accordingly.
* You may request any available color of familiar other than solid black and solid white.
* If you might be away within 24 hours following the deadline, I suggest you put the items on your named alt beforehand.
* If you have any questions, please post them in the thread. TweakAuction will not respond to PMs other than to contact the eventual winners.

Process
At the end of the auction period, I will sort the PMs and identify the highest correct bid on each ocean.
If the bidder has said that the pirate will be holding all items already, I will go and check the items and make the familiar transfer immediately.
If the bidder has said that the pirate will not be holding all items already, I will PM the winner and allow them 24 hours to respond saying that all items are ready. I will then log in and make the familiar transfer.
If the winning bidder on any ocean does not provide all the bid items (or does not respond within 24 hours), I will then contact the second highest bidder, and so on.
Progress will be noted in this forum thread as deliveries happen, and the winning pirates' names, bids and chosen familiars will be posted.

Post-Packing
Once I have collected all the items, I may find that I can't fit everything into my trunk after all. If this happens, I'll have to give away some of the items, perhaps in tournaments or challenges.

NOTE: There are a lot of rules in this auction. Please read the instructions carefully, and check your bid PM carefully, so that you don't waste time or money.

Edit: typo!
Edit: added the word "patterned" and made explicit the healing potions
Edit: removed evidence of senility
Edit: clarified that "skull furniture" is just the skull furniture object, not any kind of skellie furniture
Edit: adding the missing "each item worth one point" lines.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 6 times, last edit by Apollo at Sep 9, 2007 1:38:50 PM]
[Sep 5, 2007 12:03:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Daggerdarla

Re: September Familiar Auction: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak! Reply to this Post

Best auction setting ever!
Big <3 Apollo! :)

(People that have been stocking up on rags must be terribly mad now...)
DaggerDarla of Sage
(exploring all other oceans too)
[Sep 5, 2007 12:30:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fixated

Re: September Familiar Auction: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak! Reply to this Post

Apollo, you've just become my favorite OM. And just a note, it's Godric, not Godrfirckds. <3
[Sep 5, 2007 12:34:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yvchen

* This auction covers Midnight, Cobalt, Viridian, Sage and Hunter.

*sniffle*...no opal...
good I read this before searching for a yellow musketeer hat ;)
"I'm busy doing the fishstick. It's a very delicate state of mind!"
[Sep 5, 2007 12:57:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jinxplus1

I resent the stick section :S for various reasons that I won't explain here >.>
Jinxplus

Captain of Just Because

Now flying the flag of One Step Beyond. Margaritaville. we're around here somewhere.

Randomly appearing on other oceans...
[Sep 5, 2007 1:25:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fixated

Pillow
Striped pillow

What's the difference between these two?
[Sep 5, 2007 1:53:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SM_Forums

Regarding the clothing - won't people be able to alt farm for starter clothes that aren't rags?
Swordmaster on Hunter
Timmeh wrote: 
Life is so depressing with pants on.
Current avatar by Tilinka <3
Taking a break.
[Sep 5, 2007 2:55:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fixated

Yesh, but the'll have to give that alt an item of clothing for them to be able to get that item of clothing off of them. Unless you mean during missions, because that's semi-possible, I suppose, if you're unlike me and the moment you heard of this auction went to mass-buy everything in sight.

I just need to step AWAY from the auction. *hugs it closely*
[Sep 5, 2007 3:10:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
liviola

Woah, this auction is interesting and cool!

This struck me as a bit ironic tho:

Bonus point: there will be a one-off five-point bonus available in the care of magical creatures category if you provide me with a familiar (any color).
but it makes sense.. OM HQ has an animal-recycling machine that compacts many lesser undesired familiars to produce rare shiny custom ones?
~~~ Avera, Sage Ocean ~~~
The Lost Lot's crew KB drinker.
[Sep 5, 2007 5:38:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Llamaluver

Wow, i really want to enter this..... Just one question, may we enter striped clothes for clothing?
Llamagirl on Hunter
Beautiful avatar by Albini!

You told Cronus, "So, what kinda snacks you got?"
Cronus tells you, "Small children"
Cronus tells you, "Sometimes coated in chocolate."
[Sep 5, 2007 5:51:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.myspace.com/no1_llama_luver [Link]  Go to top 
anchovygirl

Oh good, I can put all those items to use.
Anchovia
[Sep 5, 2007 8:12:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tilinka

Mmm.. do the hand regrowth potions count as appearance altering?
Tilinka, Emerald
Perilous Puppet
Avatar Thread | Finished Artsy Stuff | Sketches
[Sep 5, 2007 9:01:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.perilouspuppets.com/blog    3569427 [Link]  Go to top 
FallenTree

Do the one-off bonuses count against the limits? For example, if I have 20 clothing points with a 5-point one-off, and 10 DAtDA points, can I still claim the one-off points? Or are they invalid?
Bullettime on Hunter Ocean
Retired? Yeah, let's go with that.
[Sep 5, 2007 10:04:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dcyborg

Gah! the odds n ends redone! heheee! Thankfully i had a premonition!
Dcyborg on Cerulean, Jade, Opal.. etc etc
[Sep 5, 2007 10:11:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    dorothycyborg [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Pillow
Striped pillow
What's the difference between these two?
I missed the word "Patterned". I've edited that in!

Just one question, may we enter striped clothes for clothing?
Yes.

Mmm.. do the hand regrowth potions count as appearance altering?
Aye, that was vague. I've made that explicit now.

Do the one-off bonuses count against the limits? For example, if I have 20 clothing points with a 5-point one-off, and 10 DAtDA points, can I still claim the one-off points? Or are they invalid?
If your baseline score (your lowest category score) is 10, then you cannot claim more than 20 as a category score, however that score is made up. So in the example you give, you wouldn't be able to claim the bonus on top of the 20 points. The bonus points and the regular points sum to create your category score, and it is the summed score that is limited by the baseline score rule.
[Sep 5, 2007 10:45:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
dcyborg

Defense against the Dark Arts
Skulls won from skeletons

any skulls? or just your own hard won ones?
[Sep 5, 2007 10:58:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    dorothycyborg [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

dere apolo

stix don't dust.

kin i haf a ponee?

pie
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Sep 5, 2007 11:06:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

What was actually in my head was items too old to rack, but that's not relevant either!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Apollo at Sep 5, 2007 11:08:07 AM]
[Sep 5, 2007 11:07:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
dcyborg

I was also surprised you did not add portraits... *ediot* framed ones that is..
[Edit 1 times, last edit by dcyborg at Sep 5, 2007 11:27:47 AM]
[Sep 5, 2007 11:21:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    dorothycyborg [Link]  Go to top 
Fixated

Apollo,

I love you for this auction. Thank you for changing Godric's name to what it's supposed to be. I'm not sure if I'm missing this, but fish and sticks that are too old to rack, can those count for points?

Your devoted minion,
Fixy.
[Sep 5, 2007 11:28:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

As long as your named alt is holding them, the age doesn't matter.
[Sep 5, 2007 11:30:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
DaCheat

How about I buy you a fireplace and some magic powder and give you 2 million poe for a shopping spree?
Kassia says, "Not surprisingly, the foul miscreants are terrified of Dacheat - Scourge of the Ocean!"
Aphrodite says, "And now I must go smack down a thief."
[Sep 5, 2007 1:06:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

How about I buy you a fireplace and some magic powder and give you 2 million poe for a shopping spree?
Tempting... *laughs*
Nah. I'd only get lost and end up trying to buy Dark objects, and then Eurydice would bannd me.
[Sep 5, 2007 1:29:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Fiddler

Does the "cure-all elixir" count for multiple potions, or just one?
Orsino, Viridian ocean
Forum-mute: your best friend
Whitewyvern wrote: 
The only high end goals are those you set for yourself. What happens to anyone else is irrelevant.

[Sep 5, 2007 2:19:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
swimer2

Sounds like fun =)

Just one question, though... doesn't electronics not work around Hogwarts because there's too much magic in the air?
Admire, Hunter Ocean.

[Sep 5, 2007 2:35:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tyman_101

Sounds like fun =)

Just one question, though... doesn't electronics not work around Hogwarts because there's too much magic in the air?

That's right. And it's a good thing Apollo didn't put any electronics in the list too. ^_^
Fiercepirate
[Sep 5, 2007 2:38:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
swimer2

Another person on Apollo's account perhaps? Hm, if not, how did he manage to pull off going to Hogwarts and being an Oceanmaster, at the same time?
Admire, Hunter Ocean.

[Sep 5, 2007 2:41:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ddraigeneth

better question: how can Apollo be an Ocean Master if he's only 11 years old? o.0
Gwiddon d'Sage - Making her own avatars since 2005
DeviantART

Is yer sword a foil?
[Sep 5, 2007 2:51:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
swimer2

better question: how can Apollo be an Ocean Master if he's only 11 years old? o.0

Noooooooooooooooooooooo

Apollo has to be at least thirteen!

Why? Because he takes Care of Magical Creatures, and you get that in third year =)

~Admire
Admire, Hunter Ocean.

[Sep 5, 2007 2:55:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Does the "cure-all elixir" count for multiple potions, or just one?
It's a single item. Therefore it's a single point.
[Sep 5, 2007 3:00:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 137   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates