• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 18
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4612 times and has 17 replies Next Thread
CraftingProj

Round 2 Feedback for Snook

This thread is for feedback on the GCPP Snook puzzle. We will collect feedback for two weeks (until September 2nd).

Play now! (NetLogo applet - your browser will need a Java plug-in)

Please try to share your thoughts on these areas:
  • How easy was it to learn to play?
  • What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle)
  • Separate from the addiction, is playing the game fun?
  • Does the analogy work for a crafting puzzle?
  • Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right?
  • Which level or settings did you find to be the most fun?
  • What is your favorite part of the game?
  • If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players?
Please concentrate on whether the game is fun to play, and not on the quality of graphics, animations, sounds, etc. If this game is chosen for YPP, we will add all that.

Do not post suggestions for improvement to this thread. Those should go here instead.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by CraftingProj at Aug 20, 2007 12:05:17 AM]
[Aug 19, 2007 6:03:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kia3

Re: Round 2 Feedback for Snook

I found this to be very confusing and way too complicated. I give this a "thumbs down."
[Aug 20, 2007 5:30:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fiddler

* How easy was it to learn to play?
So-so. It looks more complicated than it really is.

* What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle)
I've played it a few times. Mildly addicting. It's not addicting in the "Must keep playing" sense, but I do find myself coming back to this more often than any of the other puzzles this round.

* Separate from the addiction, is playing the game fun?
Sometimes.

* Does the analogy work for a crafting puzzle?
Oh yes, most definitely.

* Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right?
Twenty minutes or so. It feels far too long for a crafting puzzle.

* Which level or settings did you find to be the most fun?
Level 2.

* What is your favorite part of the game?
Working with multiple paths on the same board.

* If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players?
Yes.

Edit: When going back for another try at level 2 I got this error.

error while fabrics 59 executing ONE-OF in procedure INIT-ONE-FABRIC
called by procedure REFILL-BOLTS
called by procedure GO
one-of got an empty list as input
(halted execution of Go)

Orsino, Viridian ocean
Forum-mute: your best friend
Whitewyvern wrote: 
The only high end goals are those you set for yourself. What happens to anyone else is irrelevant.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Fiddler at Aug 25, 2007 8:51:04 AM]
[Aug 20, 2007 8:40:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
kierra214

How easy was it to learn to play?
If you read the directions, it's quite easy to pick up. But it's definitely not a game that most people can just start clicking around on to figure out.

What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle)
I'd say 7 out of 10 for addictiveness.

Separate from the addiction, is playing the game fun?
Depends on how the game is going. It's fun when things are going well, but can be frustrating when you have nothing to work with.

Does the analogy work for a crafting puzzle?
Yes, very appropriate for a tailor.

Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right?
Between 10 and 15 minutes. Which is a good amount of time for a crafting puzzle.

Which level or settings did you find to be the most fun?
Levels 5 and up are the most interesting, when you get the different wall shapes.

What is your favorite part of the game?
Having to work multiple paths around the board and figuring out how to keep things from running into each other.

If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players?
Yes. Higher level players can continue to work on minimizing their path lengths and efficient use of walls to further increase their scores.
Magrat
SO of Polish War Fog
Viridian
[Aug 20, 2007 6:23:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jesusfreak00

Ok, my feedback. this is one of my favorites, but then again, i like complex games. I think it would be good for PP to have at least one such game.

I thought it was easy enough. a good read of the instructions, and a game or two to get used to it, and I was good to go. i think some people will immediately declare a game bad, just because they have to read instructions. i find that to be disappointing

What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle)

I find this game very addicting, but I didnt have anything I actually needed to do, so...

Absolutely. this game is great, and its really not that hard to understand once you get used to it.

I dont think ive seen a better anology anywhere else (except, of course, for pickeral/mackeral)

Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right?

I think it takes me around 10-20 minutes. I think this is a swell time. it may take others longer, but you get going quicker once you get used to it.

personally, i particularly enjoyed the higher levels. it was great trying to twist all the paths around each other.

definetely figuring out the paths

If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players?

having played, and semi-succeeded at the top levels, I can attest that yes, I am sure it can.

just incase someoneplanning on posting feedback reads this, make sure you give it a chance before you deem it bad.
Mcsolo, captain of the small crew Gideon's Guild on cobalt.

No, we don't have (or know) anybody named gideon.

Cleaver wrote:

I ain't no stinkin' law man.

[Aug 21, 2007 8:03:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Truvie

ok...so the concept is really good, but my abilities with this one were not there. Too confusing, too many things to do. Sorry, not my fave.
Truvie

Captain of Steel Magnolias
Queen of Liberty Hull
Cerulean

Holding a grudge is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die. It hurts you a lot more than it hurts them.
[Aug 22, 2007 12:38:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

I don't generally consider myself dense, but even after reading through the instructions several times I still had a hard time grasping this one. The fact that the instructions alone took over 30 minutes, and are the longest of all the proposals, should say something about Snook's learning curve.

Given the lack of understanding after about 30 minutes of reading and 30 minutes of playing, I'd say not very addictive.

Again, random clicking and hoping for things to work isn't fun.

I can see the analogy for tailoring.

Once you get past the learning stages and fully understand the mechanics, it'll probably take a lot less time, but the difficulty at first is clunking through a few 15-20 minute games.

---

---

Unsure...but, I know personally, I would never get above Able in this.
Epimetheus
Retired

[Aug 23, 2007 5:58:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

I have to ask, because I have seen a few comments that suggest otherwise... are people playing the level one tutorial or just trying to read the wiki page, which is really just meant to be a reference guide?

To those who feel the game is too complicated, it would be extremely helpful if you could clarify, so I can take steps to correct the problem. Specifically, if you feel the game is too complicated is it because:

1. The instructions were too long and you didn't feel confident or interested enough to even play the game.

2. There are too many things to click in order to take a turn.

3. It is too hard to know what a worker will make or a customer wants.

4. If it is another reason, then please explain.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Reason 1 has been addressed. I have added the following to the proposal page, that will hopefully help here.

Please note: everything after this point is merely for reference and does not need to be read in order to play the game. Please play the level one tutorial first, then come back here if you have questions about a specific element of the game.

Reason 2 is an interface issue and limited to the programming environment. The controls would definitely be different in the world of YPP.

Reason 3 is the core of the game design and I certainly need to know if this is too complicated.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you to those who have played the game and left useful feedback :D
Pletoo of Sage
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Patetch at Aug 23, 2007 8:28:48 AM]
[Aug 23, 2007 7:41:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

Difficult. But then again, this is like the bnav of crafting puzzles.

• What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle)
    Sort of.

It's not exactly fun, but I didn't have to force myself to play either.

It seems a lot more like a strategy game than a puzzle.

• Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right?
    Like 15 minutes.

I liked the tutorial level. >.>

• If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players?
    Yes. Something tells me that all the rockstar navs will be playing this. Ha.
    A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
    Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
  • [Aug 25, 2007 9:21:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
    tcarr

my 2 poe on Snook:

I coded Snook (to Pletoo's design), so I had to play it literally hundreds of times. I like logic puzzles, and I've played Set before, so it wasn't hard for me to grasp which items would please which customers. I can certainly see this as being quite difficult for a lot of players to conquer.

We aren't supposed to post suggestions for improvement to this thread, so I will refrain from details of ideas I have had. If we can find a better way to introduce the various parts of the puzzle gradually to beginners, I think this would make a wonderful tailoring puzzle for YPP. As it stands currently, I think it is weaker than several other puzzles in this round.

I like playing Snook, even after all those hundreds of times I had to test various things. It doesn't tempt me to come back, but once I'm there playing it tempts me to play more than one game in a sitting.

it was a real bear to code....... ;-)
    LordKalvan of Otherwhen, all oceans but mostly Midnight
    [Aug 25, 2007 10:21:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Cledford

Took a while to learn but certainly doable

I don't know. The learning curve kinda cut into this in my mind.

As long as you aren't on a clock and have time to think things out I can see where this could be. But it won't ever be to the degree in the action sense.

Not really. It strikes me more as a customer service simulation a la a logic based version of Diner Dash.

Might be a bit long if folks are looking for more an actiony type puzzle. But could be good for folks who don't mind taking the thinking time.

I didn't really. Like Hailbut, I had to keep my mind too divided to arrive at this kind of a decision.

Watching the little footprint tromp along the path I'd set up to my customer.

Considering the time investment it seems like getting good at this would take, I wouldn't doubt it. But even so I can see that time investment feeling worth it. Unlike a Carp.
    [Aug 25, 2007 12:00:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    quattro

It was very esy to learn.
    Very addictive.
    The game is fun to play.
    Yes...very good for a tailor puzzle.
    Don't keep track.
    I liked level one.
    I liked seeing the unhappy faces and the happy faces.
    If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players? Did not play enough.
    [Aug 30, 2007 5:22:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Cloverwood

Reasonably. I took a little bit, but I think it had a sufficiently gradual learning curve.

Very addictive, especially once you've set down to play it - it doesn't let go easily...

I think so...

It's an analogy on steroids! ;) Less of an analogy and more of a simulation of actually running a tailor shop. All the same, though, I like it.

While I like this game, it does seem a little long to complete a single session (by a board or two), at least at the higher levels...

They're all pretty good, but I think I like the later levels a little more.

Cookies! ;) It has a pretty good risk/reward balance...

I think so. Especially with the randomness factor, you have to really weigh your options.
    TheRunt (Cerulean)
    [Aug 31, 2007 2:54:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Plundercat

Medium to hard. The instructions said exactly what to do but the game didn't always allow it. Also, there was no warning about the red blocks and not enough walls to deal with them.

Too much clicking. Once the footprints are in place, Go should make them simply go until they reach the end. My wrists and hands are already sore from my job. If I have to click too much I'm increasing the carpal tunnel factor. I won't play a game that hurts.

* What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle)

It could be addictive if it worked properly.

Pretty fun when it worked.

Yes.

* Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right?

Didn't time it but it seemed a bit short. Of course, it was messing up and I kept booching.

Played the default level. I'll try other levels when the bugs are worked out.

* What is your favorite part of the game?

Placing the walls.

* If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players?

More stations and more clothing? Sure!
    [Aug 31, 2007 4:18:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    actreal

Even with the tutorial, the controls are difficult to learn. Determining where exactly you need to click in order to get all the various parts of this puzzle arranged is hard.
    Also, the tutorial is quite basic and doesn't help as much when you're trying to learn how to play the "real" levels. The amount of text required to read to even have a chance of success on the middle levels is not consistent with being easy to pick up.

* What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do?
    I find this puzzle neither addictive nor fun. It is too different to the puzzles already contained in Y!PP and I think a large number of the current players would find it not to their liking.
    There are many different things to click and although Pletoo makes a good point that this number will be reduced in a final version, I think there will still be too much happening for this to be fun.

I don't think the analogy works - it does not simulate a labourer in a tailor, it simulates the manager of a shoppe, which is not what a pirate with a labour badge is. It felt more like a Sim game or Theme Hospital than a puzzle game to me.

Over 10 minutes even on Level 2. This feels too long, but this may just be my dislike for this game.

None.

* What is your favourite part of the game?
    Not playing any more.

I don't know. The higher levels were too difficult for me to complete in any reasonable amount of time, let alone score well.
    Donall of Hunter

[Aug 31, 2007 7:17:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    BehindCurtai

Fails to run on Macintosh 10.4.10, firefox 2.0.0.6.

Does not initialize. Console window shows that it downloads, starts up, and then does nothing. CPU goes up to about 50%, and sits there.
    "We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
    Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Sep 1, 2007 12:12:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
    Patetch

I just figured I would make things a little easier to review the feedback, so here is the link to the original thread and the one from the logical crafting event.

Here is a summary of the answers to the questions asked by CraftingProj:
    List of contributors (listed in the same order as the comments)

• Fiddler (Orsino of Viridian)
  • Kierra214 (Magrat of Viridian)
  • jesusfreak00
  • Rixation (Epimetheus of Cobalt)
  • Benzene265 (Rhodin of Viridian)
  • Cledford
  • quattro
  • Cloverwood (TheRunt of Cobalt)
  • Plundercat
  • actreal (Donall of Hunter)

• So-so. It looks more complicated than it really is.
  • If you read the directions, it's quite easy to pick up. But it's definitely not a game that most people can just start clicking around on to figure out.
  • I thought it was easy enough. a good read of the instructions, and a game or two to get used to it, and I was good to go. i think some people will immediately declare a game bad, just because they have to read instructions. i find that to be disappointing
  • I don't generally consider myself dense, but even after reading through the instructions several times I still had a hard time grasping this one. The fact that the instructions alone took over 30 minutes, and are the longest of all the proposals, should say something about Snook's learning curve.
  • Difficult. But then again, this is like the bnav of crafting puzzles.
  • Took a while to learn but certainly doable
  • It was very esy to learn.
  • Reasonably. I took a little bit, but I think it had a sufficiently gradual learning curve.
  • Medium to hard. The instructions said exactly what to do but the game didn't always allow it. Also, there was no warning about the red blocks and not enough walls to deal with them.Too much clicking. Once the footprints are in place, Go should make them simply go until they reach the end. My wrists and hands are already sore from my job. If I have to click too much I'm increasing the carpal tunnel factor. I won't play a game that hurts.
  • Even with the tutorial, the controls are difficult to learn. Determining where exactly you need to click in order to get all the various parts of this puzzle arranged is hard.
    Also, the tutorial is quite basic and doesn't help as much when you're trying to learn how to play the "real" levels. The amount of text required to read to even have a chance of success on the middle levels is not consistent with being easy to pick up.

• I've played it a few times. Mildly addicting. It's not addicting in the "Must keep playing" sense, but I do find myself coming back to this more often than any of the other puzzles this round.
  • I'd say 7 out of 10 for addictiveness.
  • I find this game very addicting, but I didnt have anything I actually needed to do, so...
  • Given the lack of understanding after about 30 minutes of reading and 30 minutes of playing, I'd say not very addictive.
  • Sort of.
  • I don't know. The learning curve kinda cut into this in my mind.
  • Very addictive.
  • Very addictive, especially once you've set down to play it - it doesn't let go easily...
  • It could be addictive if it worked properly.
  • I find this puzzle neither addictive nor fun. It is too different to the puzzles already contained in Y!PP and I think a large number of the current players would find it not to their liking.
    There are many different things to click and although Pletoo makes a good point that this number will be reduced in a final version, I think there will still be too much happening for this to be fun.

• Sometimes.
  • Depends on how the game is going. It's fun when things are going well, but can be frustrating when you have nothing to work with.
  • Absolutely. this game is great, and its really not that hard to understand once you get used to it.
  • Again, random clicking and hoping for things to work isn't fun.
  • It's not exactly fun, but I didn't have to force myself to play either.
  • As long as you aren't on a clock and have time to think things out I can see where this could be. But it won't ever be to the degree in the action sense.
  • The game is fun to play.
  • I think so...
  • Pretty fun when it worked.
  • ---

• Oh yes, most definitely.
  • Yes, very appropriate for a tailor.
  • I dont think ive seen a better anology anywhere else (except, of course, for pickeral/mackeral)
  • I can see the analogy for tailoring.
  • It seems a lot more like a strategy game than a puzzle.
  • Not really. It strikes me more as a customer service simulation a la a logic based version of Diner Dash.
  • Yes...very good for a tailor puzzle.
  • It's an analogy on steroids! ;) Less of an analogy and more of a simulation of actually running a tailor shop. All the same, though, I like it.
  • Yes.
  • I don't think the analogy works - it does not simulate a labourer in a tailor, it simulates the manager of a shoppe, which is not what a pirate with a labour badge is. It felt more like a Sim game or Theme Hospital than a puzzle game to me.

• Twenty minutes or so. It feels far too long for a crafting puzzle.
  • Between 10 and 15 minutes. Which is a good amount of time for a crafting puzzle.
  • I think it takes me around 10-20 minutes. I think this is a swell time. it may take others longer, but you get going quicker once you get used to it.
  • Once you get past the learning stages and fully understand the mechanics, it'll probably take a lot less time, but the difficulty at first is clunking through a few 15-20 minute games.
  • Like 15 minutes.
  • Might be a bit long if folks are looking for more an actiony type puzzle. But could be good for folks who don't mind taking the thinking time
  • Don't keep track.
  • While I like this game, it does seem a little long to complete a single session (by a board or two), at least at the higher levels...
  • Didn't time it but it seemed a bit short. Of course, it was messing up and I kept booching.
  • Over 10 minutes even on Level 2. This feels too long, but this may just be my dislike for this game.

• Level 2.
  • Levels 5 and up are the most interesting, when you get the different wall shapes.
  • personally, i particularly enjoyed the higher levels. it was great trying to twist all the paths around each other.
  • ---
  • I liked the tutorial level. >.>
  • I didn't really. Like Hailbut, I had to keep my mind too divided to arrive at this kind of a decision.
  • I liked level one.
  • They're all pretty good, but I think I like the later levels a little more.
  • Played the default level. I'll try other levels when the bugs are worked out.
  • None.

• Working with multiple paths on the same board.
  • Having to work multiple paths around the board and figuring out how to keep things from running into each other.
  • definetely figuring out the paths
  • ---
  • Watching the little footprint tromp along the path I'd set up to my customer.
  • I liked seeing the unhappy faces and the happy faces.
  • Cookies! ;) It has a pretty good risk/reward balance...
  • Placing the walls.
  • Not playing any more.

• Yes.
  • Yes. Higher level players can continue to work on minimizing their path lengths and efficient use of walls to further increase their scores.
  • having played, and semi-succeeded at the top levels, I can attest that yes, I am sure it can.
  • Unsure...but, I know personally, I would never get above Able in this.
  • Yes. Something tells me that all the rockstar navs will be playing this. Ha.
  • Considering the time investment it seems like getting good at this would take, I wouldn't doubt it. But even so I can see that time investment feeling worth it. Unlike a Carp.
  • Did not play enough.
  • I think so. Especially with the randomness factor, you have to really weigh your options.
  • More stations and more clothing? Sure!
  • I don't know. The higher levels were too difficult for me to complete in any reasonable amount of time, let alone score well.

• ----------------------------------------
    Pletoo of Sage
    [Edit 2 times, last edit by Patetch at Sep 4, 2007 1:01:48 AM]
    [Sep 2, 2007 8:25:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Jazzmina

I liked the game.

The animation is too slow.

I did trigger this error message :

error while fabrics 47 executing ONE-OF in procedure INIT-ONE-FABRIC
    called by procedure REFILL-BOLTS
    called by procedure GO
    one-of got an empty list as input
    (halted execution of Go)

nice concept
    [Sep 2, 2007 10:27:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    [Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates