• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 18
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5169 times and has 17 replies Next Thread
CraftingProj

Round 2 Feedback for Mackerel

This thread is for feedback on the GCPP Mackerel puzzle. We will collect feedback for two weeks (until September 2nd).

Play now! (Game Gardens game - you will need to log in, and have the Java plug-in. Don't use the "play in applet" link)

Please try to share your thoughts on these areas:
  • How easy was it to learn to play?
  • What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle)
  • Separate from the addiction, is playing the game fun?
  • Does the analogy work for a crafting puzzle?
  • Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right?
  • Which level or settings did you find to be the most fun?
  • What is your favorite part of the game?
  • If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players?
Please concentrate on whether the game is fun to play, and not on the quality of graphics, animations, sounds, etc. If this game is chosen for YPP, we will add all that.

Do not post suggestions for improvement to this thread. Those should go here instead.
[Aug 19, 2007 5:52:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kia3

Re: Round 2 Feedback for Mackerel

Very complicated game. Not fun. Didn't like this one at all and would never play it.
[Aug 20, 2007 5:50:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jesusfreak00

How easy was it to learn to play?

shockingly easy

What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle)

I was somewhat addicted to this game.

Separate from the addiction, is playing the game fun?

Definetely, its good to see so mething that is at least remotely number oriented here. I would enjoy seeing this in PP

Does the analogy work for a crafting puzzle?

if there were an award for best analogy, this should win

Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right?

about 10-25 minutes, depending on how hard i'm trying to make sure i do great.

Which level or settings did you find to be the most fun?

I liked to play around the middle levels

What is your favorite part of the game?

trying to match the patterns.

If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players?

I would think so, having seen those patterns...
----------------------------------------
Mcsolo, captain of the small crew Gideon's Guild on cobalt.

No, we don't have (or know) anybody named gideon.

Cleaver wrote:

I ain't no stinkin' law man.

[Aug 21, 2007 9:28:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cledford

Pretty much. Some of the finer points I needed guidance on from another tester. But in general, the basics appear to work.

What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle)

I don't know as I'd lose hours on end playing this puzzle. But I could certainly go for a decent stretch.

Oh yeah. I find this to be one of the more interesting sample puzzles. Once you figure out how to get perfect rows in multiples, they can really pile up with the right spools. But even without them you can still make all patterns you need as long as you pick the right spools.

Absolutely. I can't imagine another weaving game that would work better to simulate the task than this one.

Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right?

Feels like it's just right. Even if other puzzles might be more addictive, I can see myself going several levels at a sitting with this puzzle

The ones with the beads. That when the multiples can really start kicking in and make you feel how in the groove you are

Combining spools with the beads and getting all those sweet multiples.

If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players?

Absolutely. Make the patterns more complex as you get to higher and higher levels and I can see plenty of challenge here.

Only thing I would do to this puzzle is make the patterns more responsive when you try to claim them. That can take a while sometimes.
[Aug 21, 2007 1:42:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

* How easy was it to learn to play?
Fairly easy, less than 5 minutes to get to the medium proficiency levels.

* What is the addiction factor?
Forced myself to keep playing. After about 15 minutes it lost most of the initial attraction.

* Separate from the addiction, is playing the game fun?
Not particularly.

* Does the analogy work for a crafting puzzle?
Yes.

* Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right?
About 10 minutes at the medium levels, which is a bit too long for my tastes.

* Which level or settings did you find to be the most fun?
---

* What is your favorite part of the game?
---

* If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players?
It does scale really well, so yes.
Epimetheus
Retired

[Aug 21, 2007 5:22:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Truvie

Relatively easy after I read the how to's a few times.

* What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle)

I was sucked right in

The game makes you think and plan ahead

Definitely!! good weavery look and feel

* Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right?

I am guessing, because I really didn't time myself, that I played about 10 minutes a game. I have a generally good attention span so as long as something shiny doesn't flash past me I'll sit and play

I didn't go past 3 colors so can't really say...but I was enjoying the ability to actually MAKE some of the different patterns on only my second try

There is good positive feedback for making something that is usable. Negatively, I found that the pattern matching was a little 'off' and I was having trouble with the matches.

* If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players?

I think it could be challenging for a long time.
Truvie

Captain of Steel Magnolias
Queen of Liberty Hull
Cerulean

Holding a grudge is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die. It hurts you a lot more than it hurts them.
[Aug 22, 2007 12:03:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
actreal

The new tip pop-ups make this game much easier to learn than the previous versions. Previously it was difficult to understand all the different game mechanics - spools, scissors, beads, loom size - all at once when reading the instructions.

* What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do?
Mackerel is quite addictive - compared to the other proposals, there is more feedback for doing something good or bad which adds to the reward of playing the puzzle. I found myself playing this in preference to going on a pillage.

It is very fun. The arithmetic aspect of planning loom size versus the spools available makes this a nice change from the current Y!PP puzzles.

The analogy is very good for weaving, with the loom, spools of thread and patterns to weave.

It takes about 5 or 6 minutes which is just right for a crafting puzzle.

I found the levels with 3 colours and 6 row patterns to be the most fun, but I had fun on all the levels.

* What is your favourite part of the game?
Setting the loom size and splicing spools to get lengthy combos of perfect rows

Yes, it gets progressively harder to achieve the big combos while making patterns on the higher levels. There will be only a small amount of reward for board farming.
Donall of Hunter

[Aug 23, 2007 4:28:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fiddler

Not difficult at all. The pop-up tooltips helped a lot.

* What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle)
Mild, perhaps five or six of ten.

It can be.

Definitely.

It was about five or six minutes. About right.

The default settings were a good level to play at.

Trying to match the patterns provided.

It could, though I think the difficulty scaling needs some work.
Orsino, Viridian ocean
Forum-mute: your best friend
Whitewyvern wrote: 
The only high end goals are those you set for yourself. What happens to anyone else is irrelevant.

[Aug 25, 2007 5:11:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

I had issues with the beads. The rest was easier.
  • What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle)
    I like it, but I'm not addicted, despite its amazing graphics. <.< >.> It kind of lags on my computer.
    Yes.
    Yes.
  • Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right?
    5 minutes. My "adding in head" muscle has atrophied. >.>
  • Which level or settings did you find to be the most fun? I like it best with 3 colors, any size loom.
  • What is your favorite part of the game? It's unique for Y!PP and it's educational. Learning how to add in your head is useful.
  • If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players?
    I think it will. You can change the loom size to maximize thread use and so forth.
    A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
    Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
  • [Aug 25, 2007 8:25:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
    tcarr

For completeness, I'm commenting on all the puzzles. I'm not unbiased on Mackerel; I designed it and I coded it. It's been #3 on the Game Gardens "Most Popular" list since shortly after it was posted (behind Big Two and BattleNav, not other GCPP games).

I personally do not enjoy levels 1-3. I'm not sure that they are needed. I put them in because there were complaints about the game being too complicated to learn (when current level 4 was level 1). I really like the strategies that I can use for level 4 and 5, particularly trying to set up two Tapestry/Zebras on the loom at once when my last star is almost filled. I don't find the levels above 6 as enjoyable, because I have to think too hard - which is good for the ult players.

I think Mackerel would be a very good choice for YPP Crafting. It's not the only good weaving puzzle in this round of course. I wish there were some way to compare the popularity of Mackerel with that of Platy (not on Game Gardens). Platy is also a very good choice for YPP weaving, IMO.
    LordKalvan of Otherwhen, all oceans but mostly Midnight
    [Aug 25, 2007 10:02:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    GigaClon

Very easy
    yeah its addictive
    its much fun
    yes very much
    its a good length
    Just finished level 6 and it was quite fun
    beads and pattern matching
    yeah with higher levels it works great
    [Aug 28, 2007 11:40:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    winadmin

Overall it was a fairly easy game to learn, I got confused once (guess reading the instructions first would have helped) then it was a snap.

I'd have it say ir's been a bit addicting since I've been back to play it several times so I'd say in the middle.

Yes it is fun to play.

This seems like it would work well as a weaving puzzle as the analogy is perfect for that.

Time for this is about the same as the ship or apoth puzzles so I'd say it was about right.

I found that expanding the size the loom made all levels more fun.

I liked being able to splice 2 spools together, it enables you to make more complete rows and higher scores.

It should remain a challange because of the many levels and loom adjustments, basicly you can make it as hard or easy as you like.

Overall I found the game fun to play and easy enough to learn that people won't get frustrated with it quickly and give up.

Winadmin
    Captain, Zane's Marauders
    [Aug 28, 2007 1:12:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    quattro

Mackerel was very easy after I got the hang of it.
    Very addictive. I might play it more then I play YPP.
    The game is very fun.
    The analogy works very well.
    Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game? I don't keep track.
    All was awesome but I realy liked the purple :)
    All of it
    I think it will
    Forgot to delete extra space :/
    [Edit 1 times, last edit by quattro at Aug 28, 2007 1:25:23 PM]
    [Aug 28, 2007 1:24:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Patetch

Quite easy for me, the only difficulty came from changing leftover pre-conceived notions and strategies from Pickerel.

Oh yes, I keep checking Game Gardens for an opportunity to play (unfortunately my computer seems to have adverse reactions to Game Gardens at random times.)

It most certainly is fun, I enjoy a good strategy game that is more about thinking than reacting.

Most definitely.

Game time is good - I would never win a bake off with this one (nor the new blacksmithing puzzle) because I like planning things out as much as possible, however it is possible to play much faster than I do.

It really depends on my mood, but I enjoy the different settings and strategies involved.

I like when I have finally figured out the optimum placement and it works the way I planned it (sometimes I miscount.)

Yes, the random distribution of spools and different loom sizes makes each game different.

Pletoo of Sage
    [Aug 28, 2007 1:45:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    kierra214

Pretty easy. Had a little trouble with the beads due to playing Pickerel first.

Moderately addiction (5 out of 10)

Yes

Absolutely

Feels like a good amount of time.

Level 5

I like being able to splice the strings together. It gives a lot of flexibility to the play.

Yes. The game has a good level progression.
    Magrat
    SO of Polish War Fog
    Viridian
    [Aug 28, 2007 6:49:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Cloverwood

Pretty easy.

I'm not quite sure I'd call it addictive. I always enjoy playing it, and am satisfied afterwards - but it's missing that special something to coax me into playing another round.

It's weaving alright... :)

It seems about right.

The mid-to-later ones...

Making patterns

I'm not sure...That might be related to the addictiveness issue.
    TheRunt (Cerulean)
    [Aug 31, 2007 3:43:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Plundercat

Fairly easy. My first load didn't work but I'll put that down to the beta version. I had no idea how many inches long a row was so the first couple of puzzles were booched as I figured it out by trial and error. Still not sure how to tell how many inches I have left in a row.

Because of the row length mystery, I had to make myself play it.

It's medium fun.

Definitely.

Felt too short but that's because I couldn't judge how to finish a row. Booch!

Didn't play with the levels much but I did make the loom wider so I'd have more spools to use to figure out the row length.

When I make a perfect row!

Possibly.
    [Aug 31, 2007 4:01:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Patetch

Here is a summary of the answers to the questions asked by CraftingProj:
    List of contributors (listed in the same order as the comments)

• jesusfreak00
  • Cledford
  • rixation (Epimetheus of Cobalt)
  • Truvie (Truvie of Midnight)
  • actreal (Donall of Hunter)
  • Fiddler (Orsino of Viridian)
  • Benzene265 (Rhodin of Viridian)
  • GigaClon
  • winadmin
  • quattro
  • Patetch (Pletoo of Sage)
  • kierra214 (Magrat of Viridian)
  • Cloverwood (TheRunt of Cobalt)
  • Plundercat

• shockingly easy
  • Pretty much. Some of the finer points I needed guidance on from another tester. But in general, the basics appear to work.
  • Fairly easy, less than 5 minutes to get to the medium proficiency levels.
  • Relatively easy after I read the how to's a few times.
  • The new tip pop-ups make this game much easier to learn than the previous versions. Previously it was difficult to understand all the different game mechanics - spools, scissors, beads, loom size - all at once when reading the instructions.
  • Not difficult at all. The pop-up tooltips helped a lot.
  • I had issues with the beads. The rest was easier
  • Very easy
  • Overall it was a fairly easy game to learn, I got confused once (guess reading the instructions first would have helped) then it was a snap.
  • Mackerel was very easy after I got the hang of it.
  • Quite easy for me, the only difficulty came from changing leftover pre-conceived notions and strategies from Pickerel.
  • Pretty easy. Had a little trouble with the beads due to playing Pickerel first.
  • Pretty easy.
  • Fairly easy. My first load didn't work but I'll put that down to the beta version. I had no idea how many inches long a row was so the first couple of puzzles were booched as I figured it out by trial and error. Still not sure how to tell how many inches I have left in a row.

• I was somewhat addicted to this game.
  • I don't know as I'd lose hours on end playing this puzzle. But I could certainly go for a decent stretch.
  • Forced myself to keep playing. After about 15 minutes it lost most of the initial attraction.
  • I was sucked right in
  • Mackerel is quite addictive - compared to the other proposals, there is more feedback for doing something good or bad which adds to the reward of playing the puzzle. I found myself playing this in preference to going on a pillage.
  • Mild, perhaps five or six of ten.
  • I like it, but I'm not addicted, despite its amazing graphics. <.< >.> It kind of lags on my computer.
  • yeah its addictive
  • I'd have it say ir's been a bit addicting since I've been back to play it several times so I'd say in the middle.
  • Very addictive. I might play it more then I play YPP.
  • Oh yes, I keep checking Game Gardens for an opportunity to play (unfortunately my computer seems to have adverse reactions to Game Gardens at random times.)
  • Moderately addiction (5 out of 10)
  • I'm not quite sure I'd call it addictive. I always enjoy playing it, and am satisfied afterwards - but it's missing that special something to coax me into playing another round.
  • Because of the row length mystery, I had to make myself play it.

• Definetely, its good to see so mething that is at least remotely number oriented here. I would enjoy seeing this in PP
  • Oh yeah. I find this to be one of the more interesting sample puzzles. Once you figure out how to get perfect rows in multiples, they can really pile up with the right spools. But even without them you can still make all patterns you need as long as you pick the right spools.
  • Not particularly.
  • The game makes you think and plan ahead
  • It is very fun. The arithmetic aspect of planning loom size versus the spools available makes this a nice change from the current Y!PP puzzles.
  • It can be.
  • Yes.
  • its much fun
  • Yes it is fun to play.
  • The game is very fun.
  • It most certainly is fun, I enjoy a good strategy game that is more about thinking than reacting.
  • Yes
  • ---
  • It's medium fun.

• if there were an award for best analogy, this should win
  • Absolutely. I can't imagine another weaving game that would work better to simulate the task than this one.
  • Yes.
  • Definitely!! good weavery look and feel
  • The analogy is very good for weaving, with the loom, spools of thread and patterns to weave.
  • Definitely.
  • Yes.
  • yes very much
  • This seems like it would work well as a weaving puzzle as the analogy is perfect for that.
  • The analogy works very well.
  • Most definitely.
  • Absolutely
  • It's weaving alright... :)
  • Definitely.

• about 10-25 minutes, depending on how hard i'm trying to make sure i do great.
  • Feels like it's just right. Even if other puzzles might be more addictive, I can see myself going several levels at a sitting with this puzzle
  • About 10 minutes at the medium levels, which is a bit too long for my tastes.
  • I am guessing, because I really didn't time myself, that I played about 10 minutes a game. I have a generally good attention span so as long as something shiny doesn't flash past me I'll sit and play
  • It takes about 5 or 6 minutes which is just right for a crafting puzzle.
  • It was about five or six minutes. About right.
  • 5 minutes. My "adding in head" muscle has atrophied. >.>
  • its a good length
  • Time for this is about the same as the ship or apoth puzzles so I'd say it was about right.
  • I don't keep track.
  • Game time is good - I would never win a bake off with this one (nor the new blacksmithing puzzle) because I like planning things out as much as possible, however it is possible to play much faster than I do.
  • Feels like a good amount of time.
  • It seems about right.
  • Felt too short but that's because I couldn't judge how to finish a row. Booch!

• I liked to play around the middle levels
  • The ones with the beads. That when the multiples can really start kicking in and make you feel how in the groove you are
  • ---
  • I didn't go past 3 colors so can't really say...but I was enjoying the ability to actually MAKE some of the different patterns on only my second try
  • I found the levels with 3 colours and 6 row patterns to be the most fun, but I had fun on all the levels.
  • The default settings were a good level to play at.
  • I like it best with 3 colors, any size loom.
  • Just finished level 6 and it was quite fun
  • I found that expanding the size the loom made all levels more fun.
  • All of it
  • It really depends on my mood, but I enjoy the different settings and strategies involved.
  • Level 5
  • The mid-to-later ones...
  • Didn't play with the levels much but I did make the loom wider so I'd have more spools to use to figure out the row length.

• trying to match the patterns.
  • Combining spools with the beads and getting all those sweet multiples.
  • ---
  • There is good positive feedback for making something that is usable. Negatively, I found that the pattern matching was a little 'off' and I was having trouble with the matches.
  • Setting the loom size and splicing spools to get lengthy combos of perfect rows
  • Trying to match the patterns provided.
  • It's unique for Y!PP and it's educational. Learning how to add in your head is useful.
  • beads and pattern matching
  • I liked being able to splice 2 spools together, it enables you to make more complete rows and higher scores.
  • I think it will
  • I like when I have finally figured out the optimum placement and it works the way I planned it (sometimes I miscount.)
  • I like being able to splice the strings together. It gives a lot of flexibility to the play.
  • Making patterns
  • When I make a perfect row!

• I would think so, having seen those patterns...
  • Absolutely. Make the patterns more complex as you get to higher and higher levels and I can see plenty of challenge here.
  • It does scale really well, so yes.
  • I think it could be challenging for a long time.
  • Yes, it gets progressively harder to achieve the big combos while making patterns on the higher levels. There will be only a small amount of reward for board farming.
  • It could, though I think the difficulty scaling needs some work.
  • I think it will. You can change the loom size to maximize thread use and so forth.
  • yeah with higher levels it works great
  • It should remain a challange because of the many levels and loom adjustments, basicly you can make it as hard or easy as you like.
  • I think it will
  • Yes, the random distribution of spools and different loom sizes makes each game different.
  • Yes. The game has a good level progression.
  • I'm not sure...That might be related to the addictiveness issue.
  • Possibly.

• ----------------------------------------
    Pletoo of Sage
    [Sep 4, 2007 7:27:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    [Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates