• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 4
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2843 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
actreal

Foraging Puzzle Rewards Reply to this Post

One difficulty all foraging proposals have is that we don't know how OOO are going to implement scoring converting into units of fruit.

I've just had a brainwave (that may not be unique to me).

Keep foraging along the lines of crafting puzzle rewards by making foraging labour basic, skilled or expert.

Then provide rewards based on a probability distribution for each level. So basic would have the highest chance of common fruit (e.g. mangoes) and not finding anything, expert would have the highest chance of rare fruit, gold and gems and skilled would be somewhere in the middle.

These probability distributions would have to be balanced by OOO considering the relative value of the different forageables and the effect on the ocean economy, but this system would retain the random aspect of foraging (important for gold and gems) while still providing reward for skill at playing the puzzle.

What does everyone think?

If we could get some agreement from OOO that this was a good idea, then this would make assessing the scoring of Round 3 foraging proposals much easier.
----------------------------------------
Donall of Hunter

[Aug 14, 2007 7:50:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bronzebeard

Re: Foraging Puzzle Rewards Reply to this Post

Aye. Seems good to keep all labour using puzzles in line with each other.

What if the different levels of labour let ye forage more fruit per hour of labour? So basic might net ye 20 bananas, skilled 40, expert 60, or something, just making up some numbers.

Gold and gems should only be available (still randomly) to those that get expert, or for doing something exceptionally good in the foraging puzzle (though personally, I'd prefer gold to be earned in some other way in the game rather than by chance) .
Peglegpaul
Now on Obsidian!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by bronzebeard at Aug 15, 2007 7:06:19 AM]
[Aug 15, 2007 7:05:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IgnisAer

Aye, I agree as well.

My initial thought was that if you could correlate the exact results of a foraging game (forage limes, get limes), then that would be the best way to go, and just have forageables appear in the puzzle in the same degrees of randomness that they show up currently.

However, if there's no way to do that, then another system has to be implemented, obviously.

I don't completely agree on the Basic/Skilled/Expert system tho. I mean, that would be fine if it took many people to get a single fruit and you knew exactly what you were looking for, but in this case, a single person should be able to get results after a single foraging trip. (This is of course assuming they'll keep the 24 foraging limit)

I think it would be better to have results based on the Booch/Fine/Good/Ex/Inc scale. Of course, this would be influenced by your standing in foraging, so an Incredible result on someone who is only Able would likely get rare fruit, with a very small possibility of gems. Someone who is Respected would get better returns on the same result, et cetera.

Thoughts?
[Aug 15, 2007 7:42:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
actreal

@peglegpete:

The whole point of my suggestion is to avoid having scoring affect the *amount* of fruit.

Currently 1 hour of labour = 1 unit of fruit and it would require a massive change to the way commodities and the economy works to have either 1 hour of labour = 0.5 to 1.5 units of fruit or 1 hour of labour = 1, 2 or 3 units of fruit.

I disagree with the suggestion that only expert labour should generate gold. Gold ore is inherently a lucky, special thing to forage and I would like to see that chance be given to greenies as well as hardened foraging Ultimates.

@IgnisAer

I think you misunderstood my suggestion.

When playing a crafting puzzle, a rating of booch can give unskilled or basic labor, fine gives basic labor, good gives basic or skilled labor, excellent gives skilled or expert labor and incredible gives expert labor.

I suggest that foraging puzzles be rated the same way, and be rated basic, skilled or expert foraging labour. Each hour would still give zero or 1 unit of fruit.

Your suggestion is similar but removes the basic/skilled/expert divisions and would assign probabilities for booched/poor/fine/etc. This would work the same way but require OOO to balance 6 probability distributions instead of 3 for the effects on the ocean economy. In the end, it would be up to OOO whether this would be more simple for players and therefore worth the additional effort in economic balancing.

Whether or not the forageable generated needs to consider the pirate's standing depends on the puzzle. Some puzzles are easiest to get Incredibles at lower standings (e.g. Bilging) and some puzzles it is near impossible to get Incredibles at the lower standings (e.g. Gunning). So if the scoring for the puzzle was like Bilging, then yes, a pirate's standing needs to be considered as well.

@More comments from me:

If foraging ends up being a team puzzle, then the team could be awarded an overall rating of basic, skilled, expert and each player would then get an independently determined forageable based on the team rating for their hour of labour.

I really like the team puzzle idea for foraging and construction. Anything that encourages teamwork and reduces incentive to solo is good for an MMO and its community.
Donall of Hunter

[Edit 1 times, last edit by actreal at Aug 15, 2007 8:58:11 PM]
[Aug 15, 2007 8:55:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates