• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 5
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2198 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
Drippy256

Puzzle Codename: Gar Reply to this Post

Since I can't find anywhere that says it's too late to submit a new idea, I've created Project Gar (for weaving). :D

Check the wiki page for the details for now.

If it is too late, this could be for the next round.

I do have a working prototype. Unfortunately, it's an offline executable. I don't have much experience developing web apps. I'll put a link to it on the wiki, but it's likely that someone else will have to make an online prototype.
[Jul 19, 2007 11:27:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fiddler

Re: Puzzle Codename: Gar Reply to this Post

Interesting. We've seen plenty of "drag the threads and make a pattern" type puzzles, but I think this is the first one where the pattern you match is the result of the two independent threads. I like the twist you've come up with, but I think it needs something else to really become a challenge. I'll have to think on it a bit.
----------------------------------------
Orsino, Viridian ocean
Forum-mute: your best friend
Whitewyvern wrote: 
The only high end goals are those you set for yourself. What happens to anyone else is irrelevant.

[Jul 20, 2007 10:52:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
jdnx429

Oh wow....this is very similar to my original Halibut proposal. Check out the original image at the end of the proposal. The very first image I did, using primary colors is here and I think the very first comment I got on it was "it hurts my eyes".

Regardless, I like this proposal and hopefully you can continue to develop it to solve some of the problems that I couldn't fix before revamping the proposal. Also take a look at the first few comments from the Halibut thread, I think those will be helpful.
----------------------------------------
Josephdaniel on Midnight.
[Jul 20, 2007 4:43:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Drippy256

Fiddler: So you don't think it's hard enough? Phew. I thought it was already too hard.

One possibility is adding the other 3 or 5 colors (cyan, purple, yellow, black, white), but I can't think of a good rule for how they interact. (Really, the color set could be anything as long as you can make a sensible table for the resulting color.)

Did you play the demo I had? If so, did you manage to make a 2x3 rectangle? (It won't score right, but you can still try.) It's really hard since you have so little control over the threads sometimes.

jdnx429: It's pretty easy to adjust the colors though. Desaturating them, or maybe making them a little darker, would probably help if it's too bright right now. Also, adding some fading at the borders might help, but might also make it harder to find matches.

Everyone: Anyway, any ideas would certainly be welcome. Except for a couple of powerups (scissors and dyes) I don't really know what else to do with this.
[Jul 20, 2007 5:08:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Drippy256

I added a little to the rules for scoring on the wiki. Just that consecutive matches should get some bonus. I haven't implemented it in the demo though.

BTW, would anyone be interested in working on an online version or on a storyboard?
[Jul 24, 2007 9:58:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates