• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 135
Posts: 135   Pages: 5   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10819 times and has 134 replies Next Thread
Chavez67

Re: Blacksmithing puzzle Reply to this Post

I played it last night.

I'm not very good.

I have no complaints about the puzzle. It's definitely a fascinating way to spend a few hours, which IMO is all labor puzzles should be.
----------------------------------------

I did it.
clarify
It was me.

[Jul 18, 2007 1:09:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ppplushies

Time flies when you're playing it, I've been playing for a total of 12 hours and 50 min, but still going hard!

After trying somethings out (That lost me my Ult) you don't need to do big combos at the start (Or in the middle or end, for that matter) to get incredibles, but it does help.
Kadazzle
[Jul 18, 2007 1:20:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IantheKorean

Just a semi-helpful hint; with rumjugs, try to have those end up in the corner, or at least the edge if at all possible. Can really make things easier during end-game.
[Jul 18, 2007 1:22:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sashamorning

Just a semi-helpful hint; with rumjugs, try to have those end up in the corner, or at least the edge if at all possible. Can really make things easier during end-game.

This is a FANTASTIC suggestion, if you can manage it.

~Sasha
Sashamorning - Fiery-haired, fiery-tempered, 100% me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shakespeare wrote: 
This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.

[Jul 18, 2007 1:23:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pintsizepete

And I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this yet, but rumjugs also act as a wild card, so they will count toward any piece in any combo you have built up. If you have two chess pieces, hit the rum jug, then hit one of the two you don't have, that's some Fancy Hammerin'!
Diemydarling, known to roam the Midnight ocean.
[Jul 18, 2007 1:46:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fiddler

Because that other thread got locked as I previewed this post...

DreadedChris wrote: 
The first free puzzle day for blacksmithing should significantly reduce the difficulties.

That would be today. Artemis added blacksmithing to the freeplay tables on the wiki last night.
Orsino, Viridian ocean
Forum-mute: your best friend
Whitewyvern wrote: 
The only high end goals are those you set for yourself. What happens to anyone else is irrelevant.

[Jul 18, 2007 1:47:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
Eminem17

Am I the only one who likes to play this game while listening to Ride of the Valkyries? It just seems to fit so well. Clicking the next square at the sound of the beat. Its just too bad I'm not good.
Eminemshady- Midnight mainly. Cobalt and Ice also.

If you can't deal with it, go play Runescape.

Go Blue Jays
[Jul 18, 2007 3:55:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

Am I the only one who likes to play this game while listening to Ride of the Valkyries? It just seems to fit so well. Clicking the next square at the sound of the beat. Its just too bad I'm not good.

I actually prefer "Halcyon and on and on" by Orbital. Another good fit with the beat, plus it's long enough to last almost the entire puzzle for me.
Epimetheus
Retired

[Jul 18, 2007 5:47:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Westdakota

Going fast enough all puzzle long to match the beat of a song probably contributes to not scoring very well... At least at the end. You should slow down when you start getting a lot of holes in the board.
[Jul 18, 2007 5:58:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fredtheelf

Kadazzle wrote: 
I just got a "Well Tempered" combo, I believe anything above that seems to be really hard to get.

I've gotten "Cleanly Struck!" (4) quite a number of times and "Sharp Work!" (5) once. Never above that.
Fredtheelf
longtime Governor of Kirin, Cobalt
Proud member of Bad Sushi
Flag of Valor
Owner of many pigs

Allow me three more letters and I could have that Fredtheplatypus alt I've always wanted...
[Jul 18, 2007 6:34:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

It seems a pity that there was so much work put into creating witty phrases for the chains that will be so incredibly rare.
Pletoo of Sage
[Jul 18, 2007 6:41:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
imhappyfairy

After making a combo of 'chess pieces', for example you just did 5x knights. Then, you hit a rook, queen and castle immediately after the 5xcombo, you don't get the oppertunity to perform the other kind of combo.
Flyingbanana of Viridian and Malachite.
[Jul 18, 2007 6:46:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stefsorceror

That's because pieces in an x combo don't count for sets.

I played yesterday (no sub), and damn, this game is awesome. Max is still only three sets though. This morning I finished a board with only 2 pieces left. And I managed to get half legendary.
Tibiaking. Member of TTB, SN. Too cool to have a quote in my signature.

Disclaimer: None of my posts are ment to be offensive. Any tarting about the offensiveness of my posts will be ingored.
[Jul 19, 2007 12:12:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
imhappyfairy

I find it silly that pieces in an x combo do not count in a set. I mean you've just used one of the pieces that you need, yet it doesn't count in a set for some reason.

I have to say this is the best crafting puzzle yet! Probably one of the best in the entire game.

Still no ult trophys out?... :(
[Jul 19, 2007 2:50:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CheekyFox

I love this puzzle, Well done to all those involved in its making. Like everyone else my only complaint is the glow for available moves, Its a tad hard to see.

As for the set combos, my highest was 4

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/Cheekyfox/4inarow.jpg[/IMG]

I'm sure thats small im comparison to alot of people out there, but i'm still proud of it!

(Can't seem to get the image to show up on the post)
Clódagh
Captain of Scarlet Valkyries
Queen of Rans Wrath
[Jul 19, 2007 3:03:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jupiter_lies [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

(Can't seem to get the image to show up on the post)
Use lower-case letters (img) in the tag.
Pletoo of Sage
[Jul 19, 2007 7:21:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Axxendal

Has anyone determined yet if later sets count more towards your score? With the use of both rumjugs (and some luck/skill) you can get a well tempered with all the pieces silver, and I would think if the above is true it would give ye a significant score boost.
Axxendal on Sage--S.O of Your Worst Nightmare

Lexdex on Sage-- S.O of Your Worst Nightmare

Light a man a fire and he'll be warm for a couple of hours; light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
[Jul 19, 2007 7:46:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kaosfere

I absolutely wish there was a deterministic progression between tile-types when you hit them. There seems to be at the very early levels, before you get the chess pieces. Once they come it, though, it's random, which really limits long-term strategizing, and emphasizes the ability to plan your moves to optimize your potential gains, and then hope for some luck.

Which is fine, it's just not what I thought it would be based on initial presentation. And I think it'd be a better game the other way, personally.

I'm still enjoying the hell out of it, though.
I alone have the flet!
[Jul 19, 2007 10:12:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.devzero.org    kaosfere    Torvalds    871887 [Link]  Go to top 
SilveRansom

I absolutely wish there was a deterministic progression between tile-types when you hit them. There seems to be at the very early levels, before you get the chess pieces. Once they come it, though, it's random, which really limits long-term strategizing, and emphasizes the ability to plan your moves to optimize your potential gains, and then hope for some luck.

Which is fine, it's just not what I thought it would be based on initial presentation. And I think it'd be a better game the other way, personally.

I'm still enjoying the hell out of it, though.

Totally agreed. I'd love to make strategy more vital than luck. And I'm not talking the "Boothook probability" sort of strategy as brought up in the Ice thread, I'm talking deterministic progression, as noted here. Then again, I'd still like the chess pieces to behave like real chess pieces, thereby increasing the strategic factor again.

/e shrugs

Blacksmithing is a great puzzle. I just see things that could be better, that's all. ;D
Silveransom
makes art like this or this &
Blender Eggs!
[Jul 19, 2007 10:37:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/ [Link]  Go to top 
Aenor

Totally agreed. I'd love to make strategy more vital than luck. And I'm not talking the "Boothook probability" sort of strategy as brought up in the Ice thread, I'm talking deterministic progression, as noted here. Then again, I'd still like the chess pieces to behave like real chess pieces, thereby increasing the strategic factor again.

If new piece generation weren't random, it would be easy to write a program that would always get the best possible score once you enter in the starting board. New pieces have to be random.

And if the chess pieces moved like real chess pieces, the puzzle would be way too easy.
Mat on the Meridian Ocean

Thank you to everyone who loves Blacksmithing!
[Jul 19, 2007 1:06:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Westdakota

If new piece generation weren't random, it would be easy to write a program that would always get the best possible score once you enter in the starting board. New pieces have to be random.

And if the chess pieces moved like real chess pieces, the puzzle would be way too easy.

I find that hard to believe. Yes, you could easily write a program. But you couldn't easily RUN it. It'd basically be just like chess, which the best supercomputers in the world don't even seem to able to do terribly well, even with hundreds of years of simplifying strategy built into them and very skilled programmers making the scripts.

This is a brand new game, with what would only be mediocre hackish programmers. I don't know enough details about strategy yet to say for sure, but I'm guessing it would still be almost as impossible to write a useful program if the pieces weren't random, yet it would make things infinitely better for humans.
[Jul 19, 2007 1:27:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aenor

I find that hard to believe. Yes, you could easily write a program. But you couldn't easily RUN it. It'd basically be just like chess, which the best supercomputers in the world don't even seem to able to do terribly well, even with hundreds of years of simplifying strategy built into them and very skilled programmers making the scripts.

Blacksmithing is as similar to chess as distilling is to checkers or as Puzzle Pirates poker is to poker. That is, very much not.
Mat on the Meridian Ocean

Thank you to everyone who loves Blacksmithing!
[Jul 19, 2007 1:33:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SilveRansom

Yes, I can see the place for random piece generation. I just don't like needing to compensate for the possibility of cheating. It's a personal preference/ethical thing. You're right, we need the random pieces. That doesn't mean I like it.

I don't buy the "way too easy" argument though, for a few reasons:

One, true chess movement would increase the complexity by a fair margin, and the best routes would be more intricate to plan. Greater intricacy and complexity could help distinguish ability.

Two, there's a design ethic that uses limitations to create difficulty. I can see some of the reasons for it, but used overmuch, it becomes an issue of fighting the puzzle, rather than working with it. Arbitrary limitations seem like insufficient design consideration to me. It's not a huge issue here, but to me, the limitation just feels tacked on and unnecessary, almost like trying to go through a city only making left turns. It's not terrible, just not the sort of thing I enjoy. And that's personal preference. I can finangle good scores well enough; that's not the issue. The puzzle just feels too constraining to be as "fun" as it might be. It's still good and fun as is, but I can't help but feel that it's handicapped.

Three, why is it bad if it's easy anyways? The scoring curve will sort itself out regardless of the difficulty, so long as there's not a "perfect solution" that happens every time.

I'll reiterate, I like it. More than most puzzles, actually. I do very well with it. I just get frustrated with what I think it does insufficiently.
Silveransom
Blender Eggs!
[Jul 19, 2007 1:55:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/ [Link]  Go to top 
Westdakota

It's never going to be a fun fun walk in the park to try and get #1 or whatever in something. And yet you never should really feel too constrained by the limitations unless you are indeed trying to get a very high rank.

If you just want to play for fun, then play it to music, or an internal rhythm like other people talked about, and don't let yourself think so far ahead that the randomness comes close to getting to you. You can still probably get renowned this way, so you'd be fully functional too.
[Jul 19, 2007 2:02:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SilveRansom

It's never going to be a fun fun walk in the park to try and get #1 or whatever in something. And yet you never should really feel too constrained by the limitations unless you are indeed trying to get a very high rank.

If you just want to play for fun, then play it to music, or an internal rhythm like other people talked about, and don't let yourself think so far ahead that the randomness comes close to getting to you. You can still probably get renowned this way, so you'd be fully functional too.

The only thing keeping me from Ultimate in this is time. I just need more Incredibles. I can handle the puzzle, and I'm not whining for it to be easier to compensate for my inability. I'm saying I would like it better if it were different. That's about the sum of it. I like it already, I just wish things were different.
Silveransom
Blender Eggs!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by SilveRansom at Jul 19, 2007 2:22:32 PM]
[Jul 19, 2007 2:19:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/ [Link]  Go to top 
imhappyfairy

Just my luck to have my puzzle pirates sound not work then, so I can't hear all the jangly noises :(

Any idea when the trophies will come out exactly? A few days/weeks?...
[Jul 19, 2007 2:23:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ppplushies

For the record, anyone know who got to Weighty first?
Kadazzle
[Jul 19, 2007 2:33:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
damagon

The more I think about , the more I agree with Aenor. If I was to pick where do I want to move my queen (anywhere besides jsut the edges) then the queen would be a semi-rum jug. Considering the amount of queens I always get (which under the current method, I trully loathe) the game would turn beyond easy. It would take lots of the fun away.

I mean at first I would love it, I would theorically finish every board just by picking the best available chess piece first, but then I'd become bored by it. Not to mention than if we make it too easy, then time to say bye-bye to ultimates. And we dont wan't that on even another puzzle.
Damagon
[Jul 19, 2007 2:45:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

I am still wondering what the effect would be if the pieces only went as far as an obstacle (edge of the board or a gap.) Of course I asked that when it was still knightfish. It would certainly change the endgame and the strategy considerably, whether that would be good or bad I don't know, but I am pretty happy with the game as it is right now.
Pletoo of Sage
[Jul 19, 2007 2:50:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stefsorceror

Yes, I can see the place for random piece generation. I just don't like needing to compensate for the possibility of cheating. It's a personal preference/ethical thing. You're right, we need the random pieces. That doesn't mean I like it.

I don't buy the "way too easy" argument though, for a few reasons:

One, true chess movement would increase the complexity by a fair margin, and the best routes would be more intricate to plan. Greater intricacy and complexity could help distinguish ability.

Two, there's a design ethic that uses limitations to create difficulty. I can see some of the reasons for it, but used overmuch, it becomes an issue of fighting the puzzle, rather than working with it. Arbitrary limitations seem like insufficient design consideration to me. It's not a huge issue here, but to me, the limitation just feels tacked on and unnecessary, almost like trying to go through a city only making left turns. It's not terrible, just not the sort of thing I enjoy. And that's personal preference. I can finangle good scores well enough; that's not the issue. The puzzle just feels too constraining to be as "fun" as it might be. It's still good and fun as is, but I can't help but feel that it's handicapped.

Three, why is it bad if it's easy anyways? The scoring curve will sort itself out regardless of the difficulty, so long as there's not a "perfect solution" that happens every time.

I'll reiterate, I like it. More than most puzzles, actually. I do very well with it. I just get frustrated with what I think it does insufficiently.

The thing is that 'true' chess pieces set a complete new standard. Yes, it's easier to make long chains. Yes, it's easier to clear the board. However, this means that the standard of the highest level is constant 'HAMMER TIME!', with a next-to-full clear of the board. In contrast, the standard of the low-level pirate will be 1 set, 3 bingos and a lot of pieces left. Does this sound familiar?
Yes. The only puzzle in which there is a huge difference between high and low-end puzzlers is Distilling. And Distilling is, coincidentally, the puzzle with which the scoring has always been an issue.

So before you make your decision, ask yourself this. Do you really want to keep hammering those sets out and have scoring issues just like with Distilling? Or don't you mind having a puzzle with lower combos seen as 'high standard'?

Disclaimer: Yeah, I know, lots of exaggeration. The numbers are still quite hard to make a set with, so constant hammer times are impossible. Still, 'real' chess pieces would make the queen overpowerd.
Tibiaking. Member of TTB, SN. Too cool to have a quote in my signature.

Disclaimer: None of my posts are ment to be offensive. Any tarting about the offensiveness of my posts will be ingored.
[Jul 19, 2007 3:09:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 135   Pages: 5   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates