• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 135
Posts: 135   Pages: 5   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10827 times and has 134 replies Next Thread
Grinfish

Re: Blacksmithing puzzle Reply to this Post

Well, I'm currently wondering if people have got an masterpieces yet, and also whats you highest combo? It doesn't keep track of Vegas' but I counted and my highest so far is Vegasx10. (<3 1's)

Vegas 21 is highest i've seen a screenie of so far. Not mine, so I can't post it without the puzzler's permission. Of course, that is on the very first puzzle, so take that how you want to...
----------------------------------------
Whitewyvern. Distinctly Limey.
Retired, No regrets.
Unretired, still No regrets.
Available in Cerulean and Obsidian flavours.

Briggs wrote: 
StuManchu puts the "sensual" back in "Nonconsensual"

[Jul 17, 2007 10:13:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ppplushies

Well, I'm currently wondering if people have got an masterpieces yet, and also whats you highest combo? It doesn't keep track of Vegas' but I counted and my highest so far is Vegasx10. (<3 1's)

People got Masterpieces a few times when it was in testing on Ice, at least one with the same rules exactly (I think) as was rolled out onto the production oceans.

Don't worry about the vegases; go for the other kinds of combos, all 4 numbers and all 4 chess pieces. Or if you're still at the early level, all 3 numbers and 3 chess pieces.
The best of done with those is I think only a chain of 3 - chess->numbers->chess.
Alternating sets are worth more, but I find it hard to get more than a chain of 2. There's always some piece that there's only one of and it's not well placed. Eh.

Thanks for the tips, it's actually helped alot.

Another thing, experience in crafting puzzles is based on how many games you play, correct?
Kadazzle
[Jul 17, 2007 10:33:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Vegas 21 is highest i've seen a screenie of so far. Not mine, so I can't post it without the puzzler's permission. Of course, that is on the very first puzzle, so take that how you want to...

I had a chain of 28 ones on Ice - should have taken a screenie. So far on Sage the highest I have gotten was Finely Honed (3 sets) and a Keen Edge (almost cleared) I did catch that one.

Another thing, experience in crafting puzzles is based on how many games you play, correct?
Yes.
Pletoo of Sage
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Patetch at Jul 17, 2007 11:04:20 PM]
[Jul 17, 2007 11:01:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagefire135

made it to "cleanly struck" and had a keen edge blade. highest combo ive made was vegas^19 with 1's (obviously) although i also got up to vegas^4 with knights

i got my incred, but no trophy for it yet *crys* lol

oh well, ill just have to do it again i suppose
[Jul 17, 2007 11:07:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

made it to "cleanly struck" and had a keen edge blade. highest combo ive made was vegas^19 with 1's (obviously) although i also got up to vegas^4 with knights

Trophies are turned off until scores stabilize - no point in having a bunch of meaningless trophies like Treasure Haul.
Pletoo of Sage
[Jul 17, 2007 11:12:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ppplushies

Trophies are turned off until scores stabilize - no point in having a bunch of meaningless trophies like Treasure Haul.

I get how the Ult trophies are meaningless, but how is the Incred one meaningless?
Kadazzle
[Jul 18, 2007 1:21:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Corwyn

your performance is also ranked alongside other players, so at the moment getting incred may be a little easier than it will be in the future (not that I personally find it easy)
Corwyn on the Meridian Ocean

[Jul 18, 2007 1:40:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sinocelt

your performance is also ranked alongside other players, so at the moment getting incred may be a little easier than it will be in the future (not that I personally find it easy)

Hm, I didn't know that, but I guess it explains how I could get an Incred in my very first game.

Well, we'll see if I can keep my Ult when more people have played.
ROM ON SAGE AND ALL OTHER OCEANS
[Jul 18, 2007 2:26:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.sicart.info/en/etc/fav/ypp.html [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

I don't have a screenie of it but I hit Vegas^43 on my first game when I logged in tonight. All 1's perfectly placed don't ya know. Still only got an excellent. <<
~The Maestro
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
Not-so-secretly conducting the oceans since 2003.
[Jul 18, 2007 2:36:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
qwpzxjor1

I don't have a screenie of it but I hit Vegas^43 on my first game when I logged in tonight. All 1's perfectly placed don't ya know. Still only got an excellent. <<
~The Maestro

That's because this puzzle is completely different from the others, which is why I like it. A vegas^22 or whatever is pretty much pointless. On ice I was getting Fine's and Good's with huge Vegas', and Incredibles when I just ignores chains and went for the combo's.

I love this puzzle. It worked well on Ice, although there were a few cracks need filling in and bumps ironing out.
Those of you that say it's been implemented too soon... you might be right... but the simple fact is that not enough people were going over to Ice to test it properly. The main bugs have been discovered but only by moving it to a production ocean it will uncover the deeper bugs, especially when it comes to scoring and ranking.

Yes, it will probably be quite buggy to start with... but if you didn't go over to Ice to test it, and then complain about the bugs then I sigh and wag a finger in your hypacritical direction.

This is the best new puzzle since... I started playing I think. And I've been playing over 2 years now. Better than Turbo TD, better than Rumble, better than Poker (which killed a large element of the game anyway).. and it can be played any time (and doesn't cause me to be ill) unlike Treasure Haul.

I look forward to playing this an insane amount until I get sick of it. :D

I'd like to take my hat off to whoever originally designed the idea, and also to the devs for making it happen. I think it's clever, it involves alot of planning ahead and it can be done at a nice leisurely pace.

Thankyou :D

(Oh, and it's about time too! ;) )

- Mightyboosh
- Libertines and Blighted (Midnight)
Whitewyvern wrote: 
For every American who mispells "Favour" and "Colour", there is a textspeak child abusing the letter U to balance things out.

[Jul 18, 2007 2:50:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

I'd like to take my hat off to whoever originally designed the idea, and also to the devs for making it happen. I think it's clever, it involves alot of planning ahead and it can be done at a nice leisurely pace.

The original design for the game was from Aenor (forum name) aka Mat of Viridian. It's based on the idea of logic mazes but other than that it's his own original idea I think. A lot of people in GCPP helped polish it on Game Gardens last fall, and of course the devs have added their own changes.

I wish they had done something about the glowing. I can't play two games in a row - have to take a break. Now when shipwrightery came out I was playing it for an hour at a time I'm sure.
LordKalvan of Otherwhen, all oceans but mostly Midnight
[Jul 18, 2007 3:34:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
qwpzxjor1

Really?

Are you a migraine sufferer?

I am affected pretty badly by Treasure Haul, I can't play it at all without being ill (I last about 20 seconds and then my eyes start to hurt and I feel really tired), but I tested IM on Ice, and played a few games late last night without noticing any ill effects.

If it is something that quite a few people find they might tone it down a little maybe.
Whitewyvern wrote: 
For every American who mispells "Favour" and "Colour", there is a textspeak child abusing the letter U to balance things out.

[Jul 18, 2007 3:38:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

I don't get migraines but I do get normal type headaches and before that happens quite noticeable eyestrain. I can last about 5 minutes hauling treasure afore me eyes start complaining. I don't do TH any more at all - which is fine because that means I'm either watching for approaching enemy ships or else bilging.
LordKalvan of Otherwhen, all oceans but mostly Midnight
[Jul 18, 2007 3:40:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sammybingo

Other than the glowing issue, I am really enjoying the IM game. And its always a treat to be GM at something after 3 goes haha.* It would have been nice if they had fixed the glow on Ice before production release, but hey, its still not TH. Its nice to have a game that takes considered thought and not speed to get results. I can see this becoming my late at night chillaxing game, along with shipwrightery.

*Will probably be added to all the other puzzles I cap out at GM and cannot get Leg in :(
Sammybingo of all oceans but Opal.
I speak for myself, and myself alone. I do not represent any flag or crew. PFFT.
Mightyboosh's fruit protection advice:

I eat the bananas, poo in the skin, and carefully seal it back together again.

[Jul 18, 2007 4:34:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aenor

Thanks for the compliment, and thanks to everyone who loves Blacksmithing so far. And thanks once again to everyone who helped.
Mat on the Meridian Ocean

Thank you to everyone who loves Blacksmithing!
[Jul 18, 2007 5:51:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

Oye. So on top of the trophies not being enabled, looks like the Ult lists are disabled for now too. Every ocean has several Solid/Ults, none of which are listed...instead we get:

No one has yet achieved Ultimate standing

Epimetheus
Retired

[Jul 18, 2007 7:46:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rohane

Oye. So on top of the trophies not being enabled, looks like the Ult lists are disabled for now too. Every ocean has several Solid/Ults, none of which are listed...instead we get:

No one has yet achieved Ultimate standing

*sighs* Do legendarys count?
~Rohane
No one agrees with him. Then again he doesn't agree with anyone else either.

http://www.phpbbplanet.com/roms/
The link above is for my own personal benifit. kkthnxbai
[Jul 18, 2007 10:07:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ppplushies

I just got a "Well Tempered" combo, I believe anything above that seems to be really hard to get.
Kadazzle
[Jul 18, 2007 10:22:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

The list will likely be added tonight when the ult lists are updated.
Pletoo of Sage
[Jul 18, 2007 10:23:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

I just got a "Well Tempered" combo, I believe anything above that seems to be really hard to get.

It takes an incredible amount of planning ahead and luck. You'll need to plan out at least 3 full combos ahead to leave yourself room for error when the pieces change, and avoid clearing knights and bishops on the edges at all cost. I've updated the full list on the yppedia again.
Epimetheus
Retired

[Jul 18, 2007 10:30:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sashamorning

I might as well take a stab at what's working for me. I'm sure someone will come along later and "correct" me. *cough*boothook*cough*

What I'm finding is to start with find a 4-piece set. Time isn't a factor, so take your time and find it. It's there 99% of the time. If not, quit and go back (no penalty if you do it at the beginning). After you do that 4-piece, see if you can another one right away.

The second thing you need to focus on is getting rid of all the hottest pieces first. Doing sets is really great, but the primary should be to clear the glowing pieces ASAP, while clearing as few other pieces as possible. Once you've done that, then focus on the cooler pieces.

Once you start clearing, I've found it's best that if you have a choice, try to clear the middle first, since 3 of the chess pieces always go to edge. This doesn't mean to focus on the middle, but rather to go to the middle when your options mostly lie on the edges. Keep those edge pieces around until you need them. Always be on the lookout for sets as you go; I think sets are worth more than triples, bingos, etc.

Endgame: you should have very few of the cooler pieces left, and lots of cool pieces. Keep trying to get the cooler pieces as much as possible, but remember you're running out of pieces. You should have one rumjug already... once you start running low go ahead and use it, but look for the LONGEST path you can find to the jug (to clear as many as possible). The use the jug to find a starting point where you can go the longest possible string. At this point sets are almost impossible, but you should still keep looking for them. Your goal should be to clear as much as possible.

By looking for the longest chains you can, you should be able to minimize the number of pieces left. If you've been able to clear all the cooler pieces, you should get another rumjug; just do the same thing, look for the starting point that gives you the longest chain.

I've been using this strategy and gotten down to 2 or 4 pieces consistently with Incredibles. I'm sure the sets are worth quite a bit, but I figure the Keen Edge bonus is as well. I just don't know what's worth more at this point, but I figure clearing all but 2 would give a pretty good score.

~Sasha

Edit: To clarify "glowing". Thx SilveRansom.
Sashamorning - Fiery-haired, fiery-tempered, 100% me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shakespeare wrote: 
This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.

[Edit 2 times, last edit by sashamorning at Jul 18, 2007 11:58:25 AM]
[Jul 18, 2007 10:44:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

I just don't know what's worth more at this point, but I figure clearing all but 2 would give a pretty good score.

The scoring order is roughly:
- Alternating set chains
- Board cleared (multiplier)
- Standard combos

I think it's safe to say at this point that standard combos (double/triple/bingo) are worth almost nothing. That's a very good strategy though Sasha...eerily similar to my own, in fact. :)
Epimetheus
Retired

[Jul 18, 2007 10:50:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
KoshMom

...You should have one rumjug already...

What is a rumjug, how do you get it, how do you know if you have it, and how do you use it?

I've gotten 2 alts up to Renowned, and haven't seen one yet that I know of.
Avasta, Past Governor of Namath, captain of Ye Hardy Mates, of the flag RIOT
[Jul 18, 2007 11:12:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sashamorning

What is a rumjug, how do you get it, how do you know if you have it, and how do you use it?

A rumjug shows up on higher levels. I've noticed I've gotten it on some boards, then on the next board I didn't (maybe it's based on rank).

A rumjug is a wild card. It fits into whatever combo you're currently working on, and it allows you to go to any open space on the board. You get a rumjug by clearing all of the pieces of a particular kind (the hottest pieces, the cooler pieces), so you could get two rumjugs in a game, but not at the same time (since you'd have to clear the first to qualify for the second). The rumjug appears on the space that was the last piece of that temperature level.

~Sasha
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shakespeare wrote: 

[Jul 18, 2007 11:17:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Blacksmithing#Pieces

The Rum Jug is a wild card, allowing hammering of any square not yet "completed". It is only added to the puzzle after the 4th level of difficulty is reached, and you get only 2 per game (after clearing each level of colors).
Epimetheus
Retired

[Jul 18, 2007 11:17:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ppplushies

You get rumjugs each time you get rid of a colour, so once you get rid of all of the hot pieces, you'll get a rum jug, and so on. rum jugs are just pieces that can be used to play anywhere.

Also, the YPPedia also tells you what it is.
Kadazzle
[Jul 18, 2007 11:20:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SilveRansom

The second thing you need to focus on is getting rid of all the glowing pieces first. Doing sets is really great, but the primary should be to clear the glowing pieces ASAP, while clearing as few other pieces as possible. Once you've done that, then focus on the cooler pieces.

Just for clarification, I'm guessing by "glowing pieces" you mean pieces that have not been struck at all, yes? (Rather than the "glow" that shows legal moves.) Just heading off any questions on terminology, there.

Other than that, excellent summary, Sasha, and I'm with Rix; that's very close to what I do. (Except I usually look for two combos to string together at the start... maybe that takes too long, though, should I hit the Bakeoff.) Nice writeup. ;D
Silveransom
makes art like this or this &
Blender Eggs!
[Jul 18, 2007 11:31:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/ [Link]  Go to top 
sashamorning

Just for clarification, I'm guessing by "glowing pieces" you mean pieces that have not been struck at all, yes? (Rather than the "glow" that shows legal moves.) Just heading off any questions on terminology, there.

Yep, that's what I meant. I edited it (YAY EDIT! <3) in the post above.

~Sasha
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shakespeare wrote: 

[Jul 18, 2007 11:44:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Westdakota

try to clear the middle first,

I do not think that this is actually a good strategy.

Yes, 3 chess pieces can only use outside targets, BUT consider the potential of all the other pieces too:
-Ones are massively more powerful if the middle of the board is intact
-Same for twos
-3s and 4s are sort of neutral in this regard
-Knights are also massively more powerful if the middle of the board is intact. If all you have is the rim, a knight can make at most one possible move, versus 8 in its full potential.

So three of the pieces favor the outer edge, but three of the pieces also favor the middle still being there. Ones, twos, and knights.

I believe you should simply not worry about clearing one area of the board versus another. Score not yet stabilized, yeah, but I am an ultimate, for whatever it's worth, and I always use a "clear the screen" philosophy in general.
[Jul 18, 2007 11:51:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sashamorning

try to clear the middle first,

I do not think that this is actually a good strategy.

Yes, 3 chess pieces can only use outside targets, BUT consider the potential of all the other pieces too:
-Ones are massively more powerful if the middle of the board is intact
-Same for twos
-3s and 4s are sort of neutral in this regard
-Knights are also massively more powerful if the middle of the board is intact. If all you have is the rim, a knight can make at most one possible move, versus 8 in its full potential.

So three of the pieces favor the outer edge, but three of the pieces also favor the middle still being there. Ones, twos, and knights.

I believe you should simply not worry about clearing one area of the board versus another. Score not yet stabilized, yeah, but I am an ultimate, for whatever it's worth, and I always use a "clear the screen" philosophy in general.

I see your point. What I was trying to emphasize more is that if you have a choice to pick the middle squares. Generally I have a lot of choices, most of which are edges. Therefore if I clear the middle with those choices, I keep the edges available.

Maybe I was unclear. I wasn't suggesting to actually seek to clear the middle before the edge, but in general look at the middle so that you're not stuck later with lots of middle and no edges, limiting your mobility.

~Sasha
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shakespeare wrote: 

[Jul 18, 2007 11:57:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 135   Pages: 5   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates