• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 135
Posts: 135   Pages: 5   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10801 times and has 134 replies Next Thread
qwpzxjor1

Re: Blacksmithing puzzle Reply to this Post

Wow really? I haven't experienced that bug, thankfully. Sounds like hell to deal with. :( Hope they get that fixed.
----------------------------------------
Whitewyvern wrote: 
For every American who mispells "Favour" and "Colour", there is a textspeak child abusing the letter U to balance things out.

[Jul 25, 2007 3:57:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ruddigore

qwpzxjor1 wrote: 
Wow really? I haven't experienced that bug, thankfully. Sounds like hell to deal with. :( Hope they get that fixed.

Ice changelog wrote: 
2007-07-23

Blacksmithing bugfixes:
[...]
  • Ensure the hit piece updates to the new piece on more aged computers.

• So yes, it's being worked on.
    Ruthven, FO Yarr Talk, Cerulean
    Despard, SO Fer Crown and Fortune, Emerald
    [Jul 25, 2007 4:22:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/ [Link]  Go to top 
    qwpzxjor1

So I'm safe so long as I don't run puzzle pirates on my 386.
    Whitewyvern wrote: 
    For every American who mispells "Favour" and "Colour", there is a textspeak child abusing the letter U to balance things out.

[Jul 25, 2007 6:14:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    TarnumTheRed

My computer is running 1 GB Ram and a 2 GHz processor and I am having the bug.
    Tarnum

Darvid wrote: 
    I guess it's just fun to poke the retarded bunny.
    Muroni wrote: 
    Who isn't sure that leif will let me enter him, but I'm willing to try.

[Jul 25, 2007 6:45:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    qwpzxjor1

Ice changelog wrote: 
    2007-07-23

Blacksmithing bugfixes:
    [...]
  • Ensure the hit piece updates to the new piece on more aged computers.

• So yes, it's being worked on.

It might be more of a bug than they think then? If it's happening on new aswell... *shrugs*
    Whitewyvern wrote: 

[Jul 25, 2007 6:55:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    sammybingo

My computer is running 1 GB Ram and a 2 GHz processor and I am having the bug.

My computer is one I stole borrowed from work and is running on a processor made of Playdoh, 15MB RAM and a cup of tea every 3-4 hours. I ain't seen no bug.

The Hare and the Toroise, that is ^^.
    Sammybingo of all oceans but Opal.
    I speak for myself, and myself alone. I do not represent any flag or crew. PFFT.
    Mightyboosh's fruit protection advice:

I eat the bananas, poo in the skin, and carefully seal it back together again.

[Jul 25, 2007 7:01:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    kaosfere

It might be more of a bug than they think then? If it's happening on new aswell... *shrugs*

It seems to happen any time there's a delay in processing the update. My shiny macbook will experience the problem if I'm running Aperture or encoding video at the same time as I'm BSing. Probably a case of a desync between the client sending the "piece hit" message and the server sending the next piece. Heavy lag might well cause it as well.
    I alone have the flet!
    [Edit 1 times, last edit by kaosfere at Jul 25, 2007 7:36:25 AM]
    [Jul 25, 2007 7:33:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.devzero.org    kaosfere    Torvalds    871887 [Link]  Go to top 
    TarnumTheRed

It seems to happen any time there's a delay in processing the update. My shiny macbook will experience the problem if I'm running Aperture or encoding video at the same time as I'm BSing. Probably a case of a desync between the client sending the "piece hit" message and the server sending the next piece. Heavy lag might well cause it as well.

This is what I figured was the problem as well, as it was during heavy traffic time and seemed to lag when it happened as well.
    Tarnum

Darvid wrote: 
    I guess it's just fun to poke the retarded bunny.
    Muroni wrote: 
    Who isn't sure that leif will let me enter him, but I'm willing to try.

[Jul 25, 2007 10:31:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Dominator137

To comment further on the Blacksmith bot, it seems to me the best way to do it would be to have it come as close as possible to your first molten without hammering any piece twice, complete the molten in as few moves as possible, and repeat. That should cope with the randomness factor tolerably well, and I'd imagine would be able to finish the board with naught but a few pieces left every time.
    Viridian - Domzx, Senior Officer of The Devil's Own
    Member of Regnum Irae

Crooktooth wrote: 
    The forum needs a whack-a-mole setting.

[Jul 25, 2007 10:55:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Zzizzle

I, personally, would like to see some sort of blacksmithing related object incorporated into portraits.
    Zzizzle
    Viridian
    [Aug 8, 2007 7:08:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Astrolabe1

I am still wondering what the effect would be if the pieces only went as far as an obstacle (edge of the board or a gap).

I think this is a great idea which ought to be tested to see how it works out in practice.

I had one game session in which, while there were yet few pieces hit, I got stuck going in circles around the corners, as there was a Q/R/B on each corner and, with each hit, another Q/R/B replaced it. I only managed to escape when one of the last strikes brought me a '2' on a corner, which was able to use to escape out of the circle of doom.

Other less obvious "loops" can also occur with the chess pieces.

It's not quite fair that random chance could so easily give a careful player a "poor" by being caught in a loop which cannot be forseen. Even distill, the next most "luck-based" labor puzzle, doesn't sabotage games this way.

Also, toward the end of the game, having R/Q/B show up on the last strike can wind up, again, scuppering the game, even with careful planning-ahead, because of the limited # of places they can go as pieces start to vanish, and inescapable loops are created, despite all planning ahead.

Tweaking the Q/R/B to go up to a hole (and stop there) or up to the edge won't make things too much easier -- don't leave enough destinations and you still get stuck, just like now.

But it does prevent the "luck of the draw" from spoiling a board quite so easily.

And, in fact, it adds a new complication to the end game -- when the strategic placing of holes (to allow a R/Q/B to get a new stopping point) would become a significant strategic consideration.

- Astro
    ASTROLABE

To tl;dr-ers... is this because you have the attention span of a stunned badger or the intelligence of one? :-P

My HWFO post
    Pillaging anecdotes
    [Aug 8, 2007 8:53:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    BehindCurtai

Bump

How about if the board was generated by a perfect set sequence? In other words, rather than randomly generating pieces as you go, start with a perfect layout of pieces in clearable order, placing randomly. Once you reach the point of "The chain cannot be continued", fill the the remaining pieces with any valid sequence.

In other words, place a 4 at random. Then place a "3" three spaces from the 4. Then place a "2" two spaces away. Then a "1". Then the 4 chess pieces, in reverse chess order. Etc.

Repeat until this perfect chain is no longer placeable. Then just place any legal piece.

Benefit?
    1. It guarantees that the board is, in theory, clearable.
    2. It guarantees that if you start with "What will give me a large initial chain", you have lost that clear guarantee -- the initial strikes need to be things that aren't in the chain. Find and clear the "junk" first.
    3. It eliminates board farming.
    "We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
    Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Oct 15, 2007 5:54:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
    tanonev

XXXXXX
    XXXX X
    XXXXXX
    X XXXX
    XXXXXX
    XXXXXX

Assume we are at the top layer, and the two spaces are the only tiles that have yet to be filled. What goes in those two spaces?

Also, does the assumption that a long chain exists increase the effectiveness of using a separate program to identify combos?

EDIT: One too many X's.
    Tanonev on all oceans; currently exploring Meridian.
    Puppetar by Tilinka
    [Edit 1 times, last edit by tanonev at Oct 15, 2007 6:38:56 PM]
    [Oct 15, 2007 6:38:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.alpha-slash.com [Link]  Go to top 
    BehindCurtai

Option 1: One of them gets filled with whatever legal piece will take you to the last piece you placed. The other gets a rumjug.

Option 2: Piece placement is done with a "backtracking" algorithm. When you find that the board construction is illegal, back up and replace the last piece with an alternative.

Option 3: Who says that the raw metal has to be uniform when it comes out? It's supposed to be uniform when you are done. Maybe it's rough and uneven when you start?

What would this do for programs that are able to track what you can do? Well, with most of the board covered two layers deep, the best you can do is find several initial chains. There's no way to tell which one is necessarily the "right" one, because at any point you'll have choices of where to go next, and any "look ahead" will find "Gee, there might be an option underneath a tile that we can't look underneath".
    "We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
    Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Oct 15, 2007 9:11:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
    Squashbuckle

While I'm sure there are already people using (relatively simple) computer programs to solve each level of the current BS puzzle, the above suggestion from TMBTC guarantees that the best way to solve the puzzle will be to use a computer program that quickly runs through the possible paths to find the one that leads to completion.

The way to fix blacksmithing isn't to guarantee masterpieces to folks who write a little code. We should be valuing the combos more (especially late-stage combos) to make people choose whether to try for that late-game ferrous or Keen Edge.
    Polly
    Hunter
    Captain of Flocktarts

[Oct 15, 2007 9:21:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Posts: 135   Pages: 5   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Last Page]
    [Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates