• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 408
Posts: 408   Pages: 14   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 62265 times and has 407 replies Next Thread
Cephalopod
Developer

Ice releases 7/3 - 7/13 Reply to this Post

Major new update, new thread

2007-07-16

• Add some variety to the hammering sounds in blacksmithing.
  • Fix bug where the number of tallies was wrong for sets on the second level in blacksmithing.
  • Fix bug that skill didn't control the level of labour produced in blacksmithing.

2007-07-13

• Blacksmithing changes:

• Continue as much of the chain as possible on the next hit after a failure, not just one piece.
    • Add levels of difficulity.
    • Add sounds.
    • Add keyboard support.
    • Add tutorial.

2007-07-11

• Make blacksmithing games count towards your rating after hitting 3 or more pieces
  • Add animations for starting and finishing blacksmithing

2007-07-10

• Blacksmithing changes:

• Add a wild card piece whenever a level of pieces is cleared
    • Give extra points for consecutive chains of numeric/chess pieces
    • Add tally marks to indicate consecutive chains
    • Count number of remaining pieces on board towards final score
    • Graphical tweaks

• Fix bugs where certain activities were being permitted despite a lack of a captain or SO badge.
  • On linux, make attempts to fall back to a working browser if the configured one isn't available.
  • Fix portrait graphics for captain's jacket.
  • Make distilling games count towards your rating after moving 10 or more pieces.
  • Don't allow people to scuttle if their island is about to be blockaded by players.
  • Changes to trade interface: show more items at a time, and print a chat message showing what each side traded.

2007-07-06

• Add blacksmithing mission.
  • Tweak blacksmithing graphics some.
  • Fix up a few more spots to give doublooners full priveleges on ice.
  • Internal changes to trinkets.

2007-07-04

• Slight tweaks to blacksmith scoring.
  • Fix bug where blacksmithing broke after large chains.
  • Various internal bugfixes.

2007-07-03

• New puzzle: blacksmithing

----------------------------------------
[Edit 7 times, last edit by Bungleton at Jul 16, 2007 6:16:52 PM]
[Jul 3, 2007 3:36:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hazarath

Re: Ice release 7/3 Reply to this Post

/me dances.
To Ice!
Morbuzaan

I support PvP in sinking environments.

Cremate wrote: 
Cremate tells ye, "Anyway I have hockey to watch"

[Jul 3, 2007 3:37:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fiddler

Hi. Can blacksmithing be made free every day, so non-subscribers an help in the testing? Thanks.
Orsino, Viridian ocean
Forum-mute: your best friend
Whitewyvern wrote: 
The only high end goals are those you set for yourself. What happens to anyone else is irrelevant.

[Jul 3, 2007 3:46:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
bronzebeard

Huzzah, at last.

Looks pretty, and is fun to play.

Seems the everything-struck-once-free-move thingy is gone.

Hard to tell so early, but seems the scoring is weighted more towards combo than clearing the board since I got an incredible for getting two queen/rook/bishop/knight combos (nice designs if a bit harsh on the eyes) with loads of pieces left to hammer, whilst only getting excellent for getting to 6 pieces of an all clear.

And where's the ironmongery stat/trophies? I'd be tempted to puzzle some more if I could be a stat whore :P
Peglegpaul
Now on Obsidian!
[Jul 3, 2007 3:56:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Major new update, new thread

2007-07-03

• New puzzle: blacksmithing

Woohoo! I just redeemed my CD key that I have been saving :D now all I need to do is wait patiently while my computer updates.
Pletoo of Sage
[Jul 3, 2007 4:15:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nkirbit

Can anyone put up a screenie for us non-subbers?
Endless
[Jul 3, 2007 4:16:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jdnx429

OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG!

Wow, this was unexpected! I can't wait until I get home and try it out.
Josephdaniel on Midnight.
[Jul 3, 2007 4:25:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

The color of the starting tiles is hard on my eyes, and I have to squint to tell the difference between the various chess piece type tiles. The glowing legal move indicators were very hard for me to spot as well.

Note: this is coming from somebody who was instantly addicted to Knightfish, but after about three weeks got sick and tired of it. I'm not sure how much of my bias is "but that's not the way Knightfish did it!" and "eh, I've already worn the new off this puzzle anyway".
LordKalvan of Otherwhen, all oceans but mostly Midnight
[Jul 3, 2007 4:26:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

The color of the starting tiles is hard on my eyes, and I have to squint to tell the difference between the various chess piece type tiles. The glowing legal move indicators were very hard for me to spot as well.

QFT. I mentioned this in the other thread, but can't hurt to reiterate it.

Can anyone put up a screenie for us non-subbers?

Sure....

Epimetheus
Retired

[Jul 3, 2007 4:28:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

Okay, I'm up to Narrow experience...and still don't understand the scoring. For example, in this one, I got a Vegas and several Triples...as you can see I've hit each piece at least twice. Got a "Masterpiece" as the ending message, which so far people have been getting with Increds...yet I only got a Good. I haven't gotten above Good once, even though I'm dang near clearing the whole board, plus getting Vegas's.

Since there isn't a timer, I presume speed isn't the issue. Even when I get the message "In the rhythm", which you get from clearing 1 of each type of tile consecutively (1 - 2 - 3 - 4, but no doubles of any), I'm still only getting Fine or Good. Do you have to clear the entire board to get Exc / Incred?
Epimetheus
Retired

[Jul 3, 2007 4:44:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ziggy29

Seems the everything-struck-once-free-move thingy is gone.

Hard to tell so early, but seems the scoring is weighted more towards combo than clearing the board since I got an incredible for getting two queen/rook/bishop/knight combos (nice designs if a bit harsh on the eyes) with loads of pieces left to hammer, whilst only getting excellent for getting to 6 pieces of an all clear.

And where's the ironmongery stat/trophies? I'd be tempted to puzzle some more if I could be a stat whore :P
I'm not even sure there's a bonus for striking them all once or twice -- there's no feedback for it.

It does seem like combos are MUCH more encouraged by the scoring; then again, I don't know what it's doing behind the scenes. With the Knightfish game you could get a combo of three (1, 2, 3 or three different chess pieces) and get feedback on a combo. Not here. I have to wonder if you need all four to get a combo on a "run".

The first time I played it I got an incredible ([whine] where's my trophyyyyy....[/whine]), but after that I was emphasizing pounding everything once and then twice...and then, a couple of fairs, a good and an excellent.

So early returns would indicate that combos are way more important in this implementation than in Knightfish.
The Dread Pirate Zigberts
Officer and MadMaddieMae's Lesser Half
Wyvern's Pride of the Midnight Ocean (Zignewton on Ice)
[Jul 3, 2007 4:54:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aenor

I am in tears here. This is in the top ten of the best days of my life.
Mat on the Meridian Ocean

Thank you to everyone who loves Blacksmithing!
[Jul 3, 2007 5:03:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

My first time I concentrated on trying to hammer each square at least once, and got Incredible. I also hit 1-2-3-4 once or twice in doing so, but nothing higher than triple on the repeats.

My second time I did the trick with hitting all the 1s in a row to get a Vegas, and managed to get all 4 of the chess pieces ("Fancy Hammering" combo) but didn't do as well with hammering each square at least once, and I got a Poor.

Any idea what "May use that one as a club" means? As soon as I got it, my game finished, and from the video I took I don't think it was supposed to stop there. Bug???

The video of that second session has been uploaded to YouTube. It's "still processing" but when they finish processing it's supposed to be available here:
http://www.youtube.com/v/U5hxGLUwR8k
[Jul 3, 2007 5:05:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
shogib

I also found the graphics to be a little bit difficult to deal with. I suspect that with more experience it will be easier to distinguish everything however.

Unfortunately the puzzle shuts down on the fourth vegas, had to send a bug report on that after I was able to duplicate it.
Shogia SO of Reality on Viridian
Shogia on Midnight, Opal, and Hunter
Shardsofice on Sage and Cobalt
[Jul 3, 2007 5:05:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

Okay, the ending messages I've gotten so far have all overlapped a bit...
"Maybe use that one as a club" = Booched/Poor
"Finely balanced" = Fine/Good
"Keen edge" = Good/Excellent
"A masterpiece!" = Good/Excellent/Incredible

Then during the game...
"In the rhythm" = same as a "run" on Knightfish. Get all numbered pieces without combos, in any order.
"Fancy Hammerin'" = Get all 4 chess pieces without combos.
Epimetheus
Retired

[Jul 3, 2007 5:15:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

Part of me is like, "Yay! Another puzzle, go devs and cookies and whatnot!" and another part is like,"Dammit, I'm gonna have to start actually paying the workers at my IM."

~The Maestro
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
Not-so-secretly conducting the oceans since 2003.
[Jul 3, 2007 5:16:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
Thor

Any idea what "May use that one as a club" means?

It probably means that you had a lot of pieces left over (and not hammered up too far).

For example, if you get most of the pieces silver/cleared by the end, you'll get messages like "A fine edge" or "Well-balanced". It's just telling you how good of a sword you're making.
[Jul 3, 2007 5:19:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DreadedChris

Part of me is like, "Yay! Another puzzle, go devs and cookies and whatnot!" and another part is like,"Dammit, I'm gonna have to start actually paying the workers at my IM."

Personally, I find it much easier to recruit workers for puzzle-shops than non-puzzle shops. They come in just to play the puzzles and see your news, which gives you a chance. Furnishers and tailors get labor almost only when people check on their orders (and then often temporarily), and weaveries only get labor from begging and pleading.
~< The Dread Pirate Chris >~
[Jul 3, 2007 5:22:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
starrarose

Also putting in a request for slightly different colours. The Flashing isn't what I have problems with, it's seeing the original tiles themselves. Could we maybe get the starting colours tweaked? Higher contrast on the drawings themselves, the background is fine, it's just so CLOSE to the drawings.
Phoenix - Black Plague to the core, Flag may change randomly.

Prometheus wrote: 
TheRack wrote: 

I think the OM's suck and are cheats.

no u

-Pro

[Jul 3, 2007 5:24:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

Correction on the video url:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5hxGLUwR8k

and it's live now. I'll watch it again, but I don't see where it was supposed to stop that soon. I thought I had a legal move left.
[Jul 3, 2007 5:24:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

Correction on the video url:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5hxGLUwR8k

and it's live now. I'll watch it again, but I don't see where it was supposed to stop that soon. I thought I had a legal move left.

after watching the video yet again, aye, I was out of moves afore I had turned more than a few tiles to steel. No bug.
[Jul 3, 2007 5:40:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deathprog23

Well, I finished a board fully (used to be all struck thrice), and it was masterpiece, and I only got an excellent! Definitely seems that clearing the board isn't emphasised, which is rather sad since it takes more thought than comboing.

"I wanna be like the ocean, no talkin' an' all action." Jane's Addiction, Ocean Size
[Jul 3, 2007 5:44:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.last.fm/user/deathprog23/ [Link]  Go to top 
weejonnyb

Looks awsome, i'll have to haul myself over to Ice to try this.
Zyxt-sux.
[Jul 3, 2007 5:49:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Grinfish

Okay, the ending messages I've gotten so far have all overlapped a bit...
"Maybe use that one as a club" = Booched/Poor
"Finely balanced" = Fine/Good
"Keen edge" = Good/Excellent
"A masterpiece!" = Good/Excellent/Incredible

Then during the game...
"In the rhythm" = same as a "run" on Knightfish. Get all numbered pieces without combos, in any order.
"Fancy Hammerin'" = Get all 4 chess pieces without combos.

Masterpieces can finish with a Fine rating, so it appears the range of the "Final comment" is wider than we thought, or applies solely to the "finish" of the blade displayed on the screen.

I think what we could be seeing is:

the club/masterpiece ratings relate to how close to a "clean" board you are, i.e. pieces elevated to the silver states. Unrelated to puzzling quality (poor/fine/etc).

The combos (Rhythm, Hammerin' , and same-number or chesspiece buildups to Vegas) have a significant impact on the score in conjunction to the "finish" of the sword. Just getting a shiny finish on it's own doesn't make a great score, it must have the combos as well.

Graphics: Fantastic quality, but as has been said, they could do with a little more definition, especially when showing the "next move" - perhaps a "fiery red" over a "glowing steel" would be aesthetic AND more eyecatching for gameplay?
Whitewyvern. Distinctly Limey.
Retired, No regrets.
Unretired, still No regrets.
Available in Cerulean and Obsidian flavours.

Briggs wrote: 
StuManchu puts the "sensual" back in "Nonconsensual"

[Jul 3, 2007 5:57:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

I'm also having a problem differentiating the pieces, especially the starter pieces. Please change the glowing color. It's actually bothering my eyes to try to figure out which pieces are glowing. Maybe change it to a dark blue? I don't care how much sense it makes, I just want to not have to squint. It's not even that I'm trying to figure out where to go. Without even looking directly at or for the glowing pieces, my eyes are bothered.
Cire
Purple Squid Brigade, Inglorious Fandango

Nemo says, "Cire has figured me out..."

[Jul 3, 2007 6:21:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
shogib

As a note for the list of finishing possibilities, I got it to say something along the lines of "Hefty Blade" with incredible.
Shogia SO of Reality on Viridian
Shogia on Midnight, Opal, and Hunter
Shardsofice on Sage and Cobalt
[Jul 3, 2007 6:28:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Grinfish

Had a Hefty Blade several times from fine-excel. The finishing comment definitely doesn't appear to apply to the puzzle rating gained, must be purely related to the final board appearance.

note: Just hit an incred, Masterpiece finish, 5 shiny pieces not fully hammered out, got an In the Rhythm and a Nice Hammerin' along the way. Certainly points towards a combination score of combos and final finish. Sadly, no trophy yet :(
Whitewyvern. Distinctly Limey.
Retired, No regrets.
Unretired, still No regrets.
Available in Cerulean and Obsidian flavours.

Briggs wrote: 
StuManchu puts the "sensual" back in "Nonconsensual"

[Jul 3, 2007 6:33:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

I am loving this puzzle! :)
8 games played - 1 good, 4 excellents, and 3 incredibles and I am broad / renowned :D
Combos are the way to go and the tricky part is paying attention to when the chain will change. So if you had 1, 1, 4, 2, 3 you have to get another 1 for the chain because the first two counted as doubles and not part of the rythym chain (run.)
/e happily goes back to playing more...
Pletoo of Sage
[Jul 3, 2007 6:49:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

Oye. Already up to Broad/GM...that's quite enough for 1 session of straight puzzling. Overall, one of the most logic-oriented puzzles in the game. I love that it's not on a timer.

The only complaints I have are:
- The multi-vegas bug that everyone has already /bug'd.
- The color issue that everyone has already complained about enough.
- Scoring is clearly weighted more towards combos rather than clearing the board...IMHO it should be the other way around.
Epimetheus
Retired

[Jul 3, 2007 6:58:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ziggy29

Oye. Already up to Broad/GM...that's quite enough for 1 session of straight puzzling. Overall, one of the most logic-oriented puzzles in the game. I love that it's not on a timer.

The only complaints I have are:
- The multi-vegas bug that everyone has already /bug'd.
- The color issue that everyone has already complained about enough.
- Scoring is clearly weighted more towards combos rather than clearing the board...IMHO it should be the other way around.
Yep. Some of these are pretty evident early. (Narrow/Renowned here, at least until the morning.)

It looks like combos are way more important than clearing the board once or twice. That's different than Knightfish for sure. I think it should probably emphasize clearing, but if not, so be it. At least with no time limit, I can show my better half (who doesn't play chess) how to do it...
The Dread Pirate Zigberts
Officer and MadMaddieMae's Lesser Half
Wyvern's Pride of the Midnight Ocean (Zignewton on Ice)
[Jul 3, 2007 8:47:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 408   Pages: 14   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates