• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 14
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4863 times and has 13 replies Next Thread
GigaClon

Puzzle Codename: Exocet Reply to this Post

http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/GCPP:Proposal-Exocet

Idea I came up with for a tailoring puzzle. Inspired by LooseJaw and the Zuma-based puzzle (i forget the name). Pictures will be forthcoming. Discussion/ideas welcome.
[Jul 1, 2007 12:13:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GigaClon

Re: Puzzle Codename: Exocet Reply to this Post

well there is an example board up on the wiki. Does it make sense. Do people have any questions
[Jul 2, 2007 6:06:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

I have added this proposal to the summary page.

I think I understand, but as always a storyboard would be most helpful. After using the scissors (as a sewer and a teacher I can't help but cringe at the thought of throwing scissors and pins at cloth :p) the unused pieces go back in line, including the 2 x 3 yellow block, correct? So, obviously one of the choices to make is when to cut. You've said there is no penalty for material returning, so what kind of risks are there? Is there a time element, or is it counting the number of moves you make?
That is all I can think of at the moment, but it does look interesting.
----------------------------------------
Pletoo of Sage
[Jul 2, 2007 8:24:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Uikur

This game so far seems somewhat repetitive. All I'm seeing is cut, pin, remove, repeat, over and over and over, again and again and again. There's not enough to it to make it interesting.
Just my thoughts.

Check out my proposal (Project Compere) here. Feedback and/or a coder is requested!

Irinam of Viridian.
[Jul 3, 2007 10:12:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
actreal

This is a novel idea that I encourage further work on.

There needs to be a game ending somehow, perhaps a limited length of cloth on the conveyor?

What happens if I pin useless combos together and fill the playing area (i.e. booch)? Does it clear with a penalty, a la Duty nav?

One thought I had was, if you only want 1x1 squares, why have the scissors at all?

After playing a number of these games (feedback still percolating for most) I find that the simpler the game mechanic the more addictive it is. The scoring requirement (i.e. patterns, combos) can be complex, but too many different things to click or press confuses and frustrates players (e.g. greater chance of misclicking, wasted time as you work out whether you need to press a key or click the mouse, etc.)

So perhaps have only 1x1 squares shuffling past on the conveyor and the mechanic is to pin them to the board in the required patterns. When a pattern is completed, the animation sews them up and clears them. Consecutive clears score double, triple, bingo, etc.

What do you think?
Donall of Hunter

[Jul 5, 2007 6:07:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GigaClon

This is a novel idea that I encourage further work on.

There needs to be a game ending somehow, perhaps a limited length of cloth on the conveyor?
thats probably what I will do.

What happens if I pin useless combos together and fill the playing area (i.e. booch)? Does it clear with a penalty, a la Duty nav?

Most likely

One thought I had was, if you only want 1x1 squares, why have the scissors at all?

After playing a number of these games (feedback still percolating for most) I find that the simpler the game mechanic the more addictive it is. The scoring requirement (i.e. patterns, combos) can be complex, but too many different things to click or press confuses and frustrates players (e.g. greater chance of misclicking, wasted time as you work out whether you need to press a key or click the mouse, etc.)

So perhaps have only 1x1 squares shuffling past on the conveyor and the mechanic is to pin them to the board in the required patterns. When a pattern is completed, the animation sews them up and clears them. Consecutive clears score double, triple, bingo, etc.

What do you think?

well there are three possible pieces 2x1, 1x2 and 1x1 and the patterns will incorporate all the pieces ( the 2x1 and 1x2 are more rare and worth more and don't show up as much ) I think as in bnav you can clear by making blocks of color for a smaller score
[Jul 5, 2007 9:44:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
actreal

well there are three possible pieces 2x1, 1x2 and 1x1 and the patterns will incorporate all the pieces ( the 2x1 and 1x2 are more rare and worth more and don't show up as much ) I think as in bnav you can clear by making blocks of color for a smaller score

Even with three types of piece, the scissors are not necessarily required.

Perhaps a prototype could eventually include versions with and without scissors, and with the three types of piece or just the 1x1 piece.

Another idea would be that the bigger pieces be added on later levels of difficulty.
Donall of Hunter

[Jul 6, 2007 5:14:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jdnx429

I kind of like this idea! However, I'm a little unclear on how the pieces move. Once the pieces are cut from the conveyor, do they go back up the screen with the pin? I think it's a little awkward having pieces come down then go back up again.
Josephdaniel on Midnight.
[Jul 6, 2007 11:37:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GigaClon

ok the idea has been revamped. it has the same kinda idea, but I removed scrolling belt for something more like bilging. scoring is still up in the air.
[Jul 10, 2007 9:29:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GigaClon

Im starting to code this game. I could use some help coding.
[Aug 16, 2007 8:38:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

What language are you using to code it?
LordKalvan of Otherwhen, all oceans but mostly Midnight
[Aug 16, 2007 8:50:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GigaClon

Java and Game Gardens
[Aug 17, 2007 7:57:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

I can offer advice, point you to various tutorials, and tell you where to download source code to several games. I don't have time to debug your code for you though. Feel free to send me a PM with your specific needs.
LordKalvan of Otherwhen, all oceans but mostly Midnight
[Aug 17, 2007 9:17:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GigaClon

CraftingProj, coding has begun on Exocet please move it to round 4
design,programming,art = gigaclon
Add me to Round 3 when it comes up
[Aug 31, 2007 4:00:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates