• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 39
Posts: 39   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 27412 times and has 38 replies Next Thread
tcarr

[finished] Logical Crafting | 2007.05.11-??? (logic puzzle plus creativity) Reply to this Post

Final Results posted here.

In the spirit of Dare to be Fruity, Tcarr/Lordkalvan presents a series of logic puzzles based on various GCPP Round 2 games. Aye mateys, a new logic puzzle every two weeks!

Logical Crafting | 2007.05.11-???

What:
GCPP Logic puzzle contest, with creativity component.

Where:
Puzzles will be posted in Events Forum. Your solution to each puzzle will be emailed (see below). Your submissions for the creativity component will be posted to the specified threads in the Crafting Puzzle Project forum.

You will need to practice the particular GCPP game for each logic puzzle. The GCPP game will be available online, either on Game Gardens, as an applet, as a Flash game, or other type of online game.

Dates:
First Puzzle
Friday May 11: First GCPP game announced, and the creativity thread for it posted.
Friday May 18: Logic puzzle based on several people playing the game posted. This will be posted some time between 8am and noon Pacific.
Sunday May 20, noon Pacific: Deadline for submissions for first puzzle. Emails must have arrived. Posts made to the creativity thread after this time will no longer count towards this event.

Second Puzzle
Friday May 25: Second GCPP game announced, and the creativity thread for it posted.
Friday June 1: Logic puzzle based on several people playing the game posted. This will be posted some time between 8am and noon Pacific.
Sunday June 3, noon Pacific: Deadline for submissions for second puzzle. Emails must have arrived. Posts made to the creativity thread after this time will no longer count towards this event.

Each subsequent puzzle will follow a similar pattern on dates. Number of puzzles will be determined by the number of GCPP games that could use feedback, participation, and how soon RL drags Lordkalvan away. Current estimate is four puzzles.

For whom:
Anyone who sails any of the YPP Oceans, and enjoys logic puzzles!

By whom:
Lordkalvan, Midnight Ocean (aka Tcarr of GCPP committee)

Fee:
Free!

Prizes:
Each puzzle will have a single prize: A renamed sloop on the ocean of your choice. The sloop will have as adjective either Logical, Puzzled, or Crafty. The fish name will use the same fish as the codename for the game that is featured in that puzzle. For example, if the game being featured is Tuna (which it won't be, because that's not one of our round 2 games) then the sloop would be either Logical Tuna, Puzzled Tuna, or Crafty Tuna.

Details:
No sign-up is needed. You may participate for any of the logic puzzles that you wish, or all of them. Solving of a logic puzzle (and providing creative feedback) will require familiarity with its particular GCPP game, but you are not required to actually play the game; watching somebody else, seeing videos, and/or reading the wiki proposal might be enough. Playing the games are likely more fun than just reading about them. ;-)

You are encouraged to become familiar with the GCPP games mentioned here.
If you have feedback on the games, please do post in that game's thread, as linked in the post, even if it isn't the game currently being featured.

When the creativity thread for a game is posted, one or more questions will be spotlighted, but any useful feedback is worth points. Post your responses to the creativity thread as you think of them, because in the event of two participants suggesting the same idea, the order of the posts determines who gets sole credit for that idea. A reply on the order of "I agree that we need ------- because --------" would be worth points as well, if it fleshes out the idea. If you have already posted in the main thread for the game, please reply to the creativity thread giving the links to your other posts. They will be counted in your favor.

When the logic puzzle is posted, there will be at least 48 hours for solutions to be submitted via email to otherwhen@frontiernet.net . Only your first email submission for the puzzle counts. There is no advantage to being the first to submit, but do not wait until 5 minutes before the deadline because sometimes email delivery is slow. Your email must arrive by the deadline, not be sent by the deadline. In the subject line of your email include your pirate name, ocean, and the codename for the logic puzzle. For example, I would use "Lordkalvan Midnight Tuna" for a logic puzzle about a GCPP Tuna game. Please note that the codename is crucial; my email filter will use it to put all entries in a separate mailbox for judging (instead of possibly marking it as spam).

Teams:
Ye be allowed (but discouraged) to form teams, but each team is on its honor to only submit a single email message. Mark the email message with the name of the team captain, who will receive any prizes and then attempt to share the sloop fairly with team mates if yer team wins. If you use a team, then only the team captain posts in the creativity thread.

Judging:
First cut
A perfect solution to the current puzzle is required for any chance at a prize. From past experience, I expect 20-50 of these.
Second cut
A good explanation of how the solution was determined is needed to pass the second cut. Note: if two email submissions have the exact same explanation of how the solution was determined, then both will be discarded - so don't share your explanation with friends!
Third cut
Most likely there will still be more than a dozen contestants at this stage. The judge (Lordkalvan) will reread the entire creativity thread for the current GCPP game, assigning points for posts made by the remaining contestants. Points will be arbitrary, based on how worthwhile the posts are, in the opinion of the judge (who may ask the game's designer for an opinion).
Fourth cut
With luck, the third cut will have a clear winner. In the event of a tie for first at this point, names will be drawn from a hat.

The decisions of the judge (Lordkalvan) are final.

Please Note:
If you don't win one week, you still have a chance with the next GCPP game, as long as the contest continues. Even after the contest finishes, if you have provided great ideas to GCPP games, you have a chance of getting awards when the GCPP Round 2 awards are (eventually) given out. Most of the GCPP awards go to designers, artists and coders, but two of the award winners from Round 1 earned their awards by testing the games and giving great feedback.
----------------------------------------
LordKalvan of Otherwhen, all oceans but mostly Midnight
[Edit 2 times, last edit by tcarr at Aug 13, 2007 9:05:39 AM]
[May 9, 2007 8:16:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
aaron2pixel

Re: Logical Crafting | 2007.05.11-??? (logic puzzle plus creativity) Reply to this Post

What exactly is this? A series of puzzles?
Retired.
[May 9, 2007 11:16:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

Re: Logical Crafting | 2007.05.11-??? (logic puzzle plus creativity) Reply to this Post

What exactly is this? A series of puzzles?

Aye, it's a series of individual events. Each event features one of the GCPP Round 2 games, and a logic puzzle about people playing that game. To win a prize you will need to solve the logic puzzle, and also give us some useful feedback on the GCPP game being featured. Knightfish from GCPP Round 1 will be our next crafting puzzle in YPP (Iron Mongery), and one of the GCPP Round 2 games will be chosen to be a crafting puzzle for YPP (but not necessarily one of the ones that this series of events features).

Good news!
A generous pirate with some spare doubloons has already stepped forward saying there should be more than just a single prize for each of the logic puzzles. I have poe on Midnight and Ice, and will try to find some Cobalt poe, so that I can promise some small prize for runners-up no matter what ocean they are from.
[May 9, 2007 11:30:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
slntslayer

Oooo...I do enjoy logic puzzles.
When all else fails, go blow something up.
I'm a BK hunting trollop, and how!
Rehio wrote: 
There's gotta be some law that prohibits Rashnu from having any sort of contact with greenies.

Rashnu
i R slo kiddo.....
[May 9, 2007 2:30:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

Our first GCPP game is Guppy. One lucky winner will get a sloop named either "Logical Guppy", "Puzzled Guppy" or "Crafty Guppy", on any ocean. Runners-up (if any) will get a small prize as well.

Go here to start.

After you are familiar with Guppy, you can start posting your feedback to the feedback thread in GCPP forum.

Questions about this event should be posted to this thread.

The logic puzzle will be posted on May 18th. The Guppy portion of this event ends noon Sunday, May 20th.
[May 11, 2007 3:46:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ally_1994

hiiii

how do i play?
scorpian of the cobalt ocean!!

atomic of the viridian ocean!!!

the sail master:b

the best of sailors!!
[May 11, 2007 6:29:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

hiiii

how do i play?

Go here to start.

You probably want to watch the Video of Typical Game first, then read How to Play. Or you can just go directly to the the game itself and see if you can make sense of it.
[May 11, 2007 7:23:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AnijKittie

When you say email solutions do you want an image of the completed puzzle?
Rikayan of the Verdian Ocean
Pirate of the Pilliaging Fools
Member of the flag Soulmates
Chief Petty Officer in the Labyrinth Moors Navy
in the Onyx Archipelago
[May 12, 2007 1:32:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.myspace.com/anijkittie    anijkittie    anijkittie    19174803 [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

When you say email solutions do you want an image of the completed puzzle?

The solutions to be emailed are the solutions to the logic puzzle. I will post the first logic puzzle on May 18th. For now the only thing to do is play Guppy and post comments about Guppy in the feedback thread. Then look for the logic puzzle to appear on Friday.
[May 12, 2007 2:48:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AnijKittie

yeah just delete my email then cause i got confused
in the Onyx Archipelago
[May 12, 2007 3:04:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.myspace.com/anijkittie    anijkittie    anijkittie    19174803 [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Only a couple more days until the logic puzzle for guppy is posted - be sure to get your feedback in for a chance to win a Guppy sloop :D
Pletoo of Sage
[May 16, 2007 8:44:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ghadhean

<3
Really. This is great on so many levels.

I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed.

North by Northwest
[May 17, 2007 8:27:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

Guppy logic puzzle is now available. See this post for the link.

If you have questions, either email me or send me a PM. Don't post anything that might give a hint to other players! Questions about the event rules should be posted to this thread.
[May 18, 2007 8:49:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kinocha

I don't like you anymore. I couldn't stop fiddling with the Logic puzzle untill I got all the pieces to fit. And it took me to many hours, as everytime I stepped away from it to do useful things, I got drawn back.

I curse you! (well not really. I still love you)
Kinocha, Senior Officer of White Rose under the flag Blood and Roses on Midnight Ocean

Avatar by the amazing Koalarocker
[May 20, 2007 9:47:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

mwa ha ha!
[May 20, 2007 10:04:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AnijKittie

okay you were right, there was one but i didnt think the messaged stuff counted. Sorry. Cant wait for the next puzzle!
in the Onyx Archipelago
[May 20, 2007 9:15:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.myspace.com/anijkittie    anijkittie    anijkittie    19174803 [Link]  Go to top 
Uikur

You may want to put the link fore the logic puzzle of the next one (I'm guessing Snook) in the feedback thread on the GCPP; that's where I learned about this and I had NO IDEA the logic puzzle was there. Anyway, great thing!
Just my thoughts.

Check out my proposal (Project Compere) here. Feedback and/or a coder is requested!

Irinam of Viridian.
[May 21, 2007 6:31:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

Our second GCPP game is Snook. One lucky winner will get a sloop named either "Logical Snook", "Puzzled Snook" or "Crafty Snook", on any ocean. Runners-up (if any) will get a small prize as well (in round one it was chocolate chip cookies). In addition, the winner and any runners-up will have the option of choosing one of the pirate names to be used in the third logic puzzle.

Play Lesson One of the Snook Tutorial, then go here for the main Snook event applet.

After you are familiar with Snook, you can start posting your feedback to the feedback thread in GCPP forum.

The logic puzzle will be posted on June 1st. The Snook portion of this event ends noon Sunday, June 3rd.
[May 25, 2007 8:36:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nan421

I tried to do the Snook tutorial and it said to go to the Java website and download a new version. Do you know what exactly I have to download?
[May 29, 2007 4:14:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

Go here and click the big "Free Java Download" button. Technically, you need a recent JRE (Java Runtime Environment), more commonly known as the Java plug-in for your browser.
[May 29, 2007 4:24:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

Snook logic puzzle is now available. See this post for the link.

If you have questions, either email me or send me a PM. Don't post anything that might give a hint to other players! Questions about the event rules should be posted to this thread.
[Jun 1, 2007 8:32:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

Question: Is there any place that shows the color names with the corresponding colors? The "color codes table" is just a list of the color names, w/o examples. And with 5 different shades of blue, I am not at all sure I have the names and colors lined up correctly.

(Sorry for posting this in the wrong thread first time around)

-- Fey
Feylind

Semi-retired Midnight Cerulean Event Addict
[Jun 1, 2007 9:32:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

Question: Is there any place that shows the color names with the corresponding colors? The "color codes table" is just a list of the color names, w/o examples. And with 5 different shades of blue, I am not at all sure I have the names and colors lined up correctly.

Never mind... so thats what those numbers by all the items are for. DUH!

-- Fey
Feylind

Semi-retired Midnight Cerulean Event Addict
[Jun 1, 2007 10:06:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

/e quietly reminds people that the proposal page is now a reference guide and just might have something useful there.
Pletoo of Sage
[Jun 1, 2007 10:32:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

Just in case anybody is still confused, you can always just play Snook. Change the color-set to match one of the screen shots, click Setup, then "Show Color Codes". This puts the numbers on. Now click Color Query and click something; it will output the correct description, including the color.
[Jun 1, 2007 10:50:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Malach

Between the starting boards' numbers for the colors, and the color code table, assigning the correct colors in the solution should've been easy enough. Now, if only I hadn't hit send on my e-mail before I remembered to swap in the names for the numbers. Realized about 10 seconds after I sent, and was really annoyed at myself there, but since the rules state that only the first e-mail counts, I figured I'd just have to live with the error. Ah well, there's always next round, right?
-Malach, mostly on Cobalt

Ex-Captain of Omega
Owner of Circe's Brew, Labyrinth Moors
[Jun 3, 2007 7:55:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Malach1    250095 [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

Our third GCPP game is Platy. One lucky winner will get a sloop named either "Logical Platy", "Puzzled Platy" or "Crafty Platy", on any ocean. Runners-up (if any) will get a small prize as well (in round one it was chocolate chip cookies). In addition, the winner and any runners-up will have the option of choosing one of the pirate names to be used in the fourth logic puzzle.

Go here to start.

After you are familiar with Platy, you can start posting your feedback to the feedback thread in GCPP forum.

The logic puzzle will be posted on June 15th. The Platy portion of this event ends noon Sunday, June 17th.
[Jun 8, 2007 6:03:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

Platy logic puzzle is now available. See this post for the link.

[Jun 15, 2007 7:58:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

Our third GCPP game is Loosejaw. One lucky winner will get a sloop named either "Logical Loosejaw", "Puzzled Loosejaw" or "Crafty Loosejaw", on any ocean. Runners-up (if any) will get a small prize as well (in round one it was chocolate chip cookies). In addition, the winner and any runners-up will have the option of choosing one of the pirate names to be used in the next logic puzzle. Those who make runner-up in 3+ rounds will get a choice of a nicer prize when the contest finishes completely.

Go here to start.

After you are familiar with Loosejaw, you can start posting your feedback to the feedback thread in GCPP forum.

The logic puzzle will be posted on July 6th. The Loosejaw portion of this event ends noon Sunday, July 8th.
[Jun 29, 2007 8:18:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
unrealguy

I wana join the tournament!!!! Im good at this game
*** Captain of***
The Wailing Wonders
[Jun 30, 2007 12:10:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 39   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates