• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 36
Posts: 36   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7743 times and has 35 replies Next Thread
Patetch

Re: Puzzle Codename: Isinglass Reply to this Post

One of my programmer friends offered to try his hand t a prototype, so hpefully I'll have something to tinker with by the end of the week.
I am glad to hear that - I followed the link and Mad Virus seemed interesting, I think your extra pieces might add another layer to the thoughts here. One question I have, in the 'Known Problems' section of the proposal, you said:

Ensuring that the boards are solvable in the number of turns allowed. While there exist an infinite number of puzzles, it is very easy to create an unsolvable puzzle, and careful programming would be required to make sure the boards are possible.
Can you explain what you mean here? I am pretty sure that the don't want solveable puzzles, maybe I am thinking on a different level? I suppose the carp holes are all solveable IF you have the right piece. In this case it would only require that you make the right moves, are the extra pieces enough to get people to go off their plan to get or avoid them?
----------------------------------------
Pletoo of Sage
[Apr 30, 2007 7:12:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Karein

One question I have, in the 'Known Problems' section of the proposal, you said:

Ensuring that the boards are solvable in the number of turns allowed. While there exist an infinite number of puzzles, it is very easy to create an unsolvable puzzle, and careful programming would be required to make sure the boards are possible.
Can you explain what you mean here? I am pretty sure that the don't want solveable puzzles, maybe I am thinking on a different level? I suppose the carp holes are all solveable IF you have the right piece. In this case it would only require that you make the right moves, are the extra pieces enough to get people to go off their plan to get or avoid them?

This got addressed earlier in the thread, where to avoid computer solvability, I decided that some of the boards may be impossible. Hence why the randomize button was added, so that if a player comes up on a board that seems dificult, they can randomize it and hope for a better solution. In addition, since the board changes so often, with different pieces, both positive and negative, one solution found at the beginning will have to be constantly modified as pieces change. Also, I structured the scoring so that the player has to do more than just complete the grids in the correct amount of turns. They also need to recieive point from bonuses to push them over the threshold. Not to mention that a computer solved solution isn't necessarily the best solution because of the variablility.
[Apr 30, 2007 10:03:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Ah - sorry I must have missed it - I thought I had read everything over again. - Thanks for explaining that.
Pletoo of Sage
[Apr 30, 2007 11:22:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Karein

That's ok, I need to take it off the wiki anyway.
[Apr 30, 2007 1:23:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

One of my programmer friends offered to try his hand t a prototype, so hpefully I'll have something to tinker with by the end of the week.

Any further developments?
Pletoo of Sage
[Jun 19, 2007 6:25:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bia
OceanMaster

While it seems that this design will not, unfortunately, make it into the final choices for the second round, I wonder if a multiplayer variant with a focus for foraging could be developed.
[Aug 1, 2007 3:56:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 36   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates