• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 103
Posts: 103   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 17776 times and has 102 replies Next Thread
Uikur

Puzzle Codename:Compere Reply to this Post

Compere article

Post your thoughts and suggestions on here. I also made Puzzle Codename:Ling, so if you like the idea, check it out.

Craftingproj edited to fix the broken link.
----------------------------------------
Just my thoughts.

Check out my proposal (Project Compere) here. Feedback and/or a coder is requested!

Irinam of Viridian.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by CraftingProj at Apr 14, 2007 5:43:36 PM]
[Apr 14, 2007 4:34:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

Re: Puzzle Codename:Compere Reply to this Post

I'm not seeing any actual thinking required of this proposal. Excellent hand eye coordination, and to get high rank speed as well, but no thinking. Or did I miss something?

IMO it's not a puzzle until you have to plan strategy of some kind.
LordKalvan of Otherwhen, all oceans but mostly Midnight
[Apr 14, 2007 5:50:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Uikur

I'm not seeing any actual thinking required of this proposal. Excellent hand eye coordination, and to get high rank speed as well, but no thinking. Or did I miss something?

IMO it's not a puzzle until you have to plan strategy of some kind.

True. I'll re-create the game so it'll work better as a puzzle (maybe a slider game like we've all played at sometime or another?).
Just my thoughts.

Check out my proposal (Project Compere) here. Feedback and/or a coder is requested!

Irinam of Viridian.
[Apr 14, 2007 8:36:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

I'll re-create the game so it'll work better as a puzzle (maybe a slider game like we've all played at sometime or another?).

Basic slide puzzles are on the Anti-List because they are machine solvable (it is easy to write a program to solve them).
[Apr 15, 2007 4:19:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Uikur

What if there was more to it? Look at it when it's done.
Just my thoughts.

Irinam of Viridian.
[Apr 15, 2007 5:23:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

variations on slide puzzles would work. shipwrightery is a variation on a slide puzzle, right? I was just warning you, so that you knew ahead of time that you had to do something more complicated than a basic slide puzzle.
[Apr 15, 2007 6:29:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jdnx429

Just thinking, does the sliding puzzle have to square? Instead of square pieces, can it have hexagonal pieces (or triangular)? That would certainly be an interesting variation and with other ideas you come up with I'm sure it could go beyond a basic sliding puzzle.
Josephdaniel on Midnight.
[Apr 15, 2007 11:24:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Uikur

It's all done, so you know. Check it out.
Just my thoughts.

Irinam of Viridian.
[Apr 16, 2007 4:54:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jdnx429

I'm a bit confused about the purpose of the red blocks. What do they do? It seems that they almost define the pattern, but I thought the pattern was actually on the sliding blocks?
[Apr 16, 2007 5:09:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Uikur

I'm a bit confused about the purpose of the red blocks. What do they do? It seems that they almost define the pattern, but I thought the pattern was actually on the sliding blocks?

The red blocks bounce the scissors/needle to cut out/"draw" the pattern on the article of clothing. The pattern is made by solving the slider puzzle.
Just my thoughts.

Irinam of Viridian.
[Apr 16, 2007 5:19:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jdnx429

How are curves dealt with?

I also think the bouncing red blocks would make this a tough puzzle unless they could only be placed at predetermined angles such as 45, 90 degrees, etc.
[Apr 16, 2007 5:40:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Uikur

How are curves dealt with?

I also think the bouncing red blocks would make this a tough puzzle unless they could only be placed at predetermined angles such as 45, 90 degrees, etc.

curves you'll place guide blocks that create tunnels (grey)(i just changed this)

The blocks are rotated at 1 degree changes, though rotation is somewhat fast. The rotation is up for change, though.
Just my thoughts.

Irinam of Viridian.
[Apr 16, 2007 6:25:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

I'm really confused as to how this game would work. Could you give us a storyboard please?

and why socks and mittens? there aren't any socks or mittens in YPP.....
[Apr 16, 2007 7:05:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Uikur

I'm really confused as to how this game would work. Could you give us a storyboard please?

and why socks and mittens? there aren't any socks or mittens in YPP.....

I'll try.

I wanted to add a few more easy things. That's why.
Just my thoughts.

Irinam of Viridian.
[Apr 16, 2007 8:31:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Uikur

bump
u.....m
m.....u
pmub

THE GREAT SQUARE OF BUMP!
Just my thoughts.

Irinam of Viridian.
[Apr 19, 2007 4:01:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

give us a storyboard, explaining the different decisions that a player needs to consider during a game, with pictures of the board while the player is thinking, and after the player makes the move chosen.

and it might help if you gave feedback on one of the other proposals - we have a lot of them active right now and if I try to give *good* feedback on more than a handful they start getting all mixed up in my mind (which is half filled with Guppy)
[Apr 19, 2007 5:37:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Uikur

I tried to make a non-picture storyboard, but I have someone (hopefully) working on them (no payment needed!).

I try, but I'm not the greatest at feedback.
Just my thoughts.

Irinam of Viridian.
[Apr 19, 2007 6:16:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Uikur

Woops I didn't make a storyboard (oops!).
Just my thoughts.

Irinam of Viridian.
[Apr 19, 2007 6:17:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Uikur

NOW it's on there (no pics though...)
Just my thoughts.

Irinam of Viridian.
[Apr 19, 2007 6:32:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

But what decisions does your player have to juggle? If there's always only one decision for him to make, it's not a puzzle - there has to be the agony of "do I use this piece NOW for a small score, or wait until later in hopes of making a larger score?" or something similar.
[Apr 19, 2007 6:44:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Uikur

But what decisions does your player have to juggle? If there's always only one decision for him to make, it's not a puzzle - there has to be the agony of "do I use this piece NOW for a small score, or wait until later in hopes of making a larger score?" or something similar.

They're marked and listed, the decisions. Check them.
Just my thoughts.

Irinam of Viridian.
[Apr 19, 2007 6:55:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

They're marked and listed, the decisions. Check them.

ok, it's been a long day. mebbe i'm just too tired to see it. I read this:

Manno is a basic player. The slider puzzle is rather easy, solvable in ten steps. After circling a couple of times, he solves the puzzle. The pattern is a cloak. He starts the scissors on their way and places four blocks down, each causing a ninety degree angle turn. The scissors run their course and a parchment appears on the bottom with the image of a smiley face. To start, he creates the tunnel the smile will be made on a bit below the center. Next he starts the needle along, then caps off the tunnel with two red blocks. After that, he places two red blocks over each other, then starts the needle upwards. Afterwards, he sets another pair of blocks up and starts the needle. The resulting image is slightly lopsided. After the minute, the pattern moves up and grows to check his progress and gives him a fair score. The clothing then moves to the bar and a new pattern appears. That is the end of a round.

I'm not seeing anything about decisions. I'm not seeing any thing about "do I make THIS move, or do I make this other one???" All I'm seeing is "I do this, then I do that."

When the pictures are available mebbe it will be more obvious. It's possible that after "The pattern is a cloak" the player has to figure out where to place the red blocks rather than "oh, it's obvious".
[Apr 19, 2007 7:04:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

Mebbe an example would help, of the type of storyboard I'm asking for. Here's the one for Guppy:
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/GCPP:Proposal-Guppy#Storyboard

Notice the places where Rylla is having to make decisions?

Rylla tries to determine if red or yellow would be better for this board. Red patches are of sizes 4, 3, and 3. That's plenty to fill the order, and red is worth a lot more than yellow is. Rylla decides to ignore the green goal because the dyes confuse her. She concentrates on red first.

Rylla thinks a moment about turning that orange tile red, but it would use a bucket of dye and only increase the 9 patch to an 11 patch. She decides not to waste the dye. Now, is there another spot where dye would be useful?

[Apr 19, 2007 7:09:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Uikur

The decisions are above the storyboard.
Just my thoughts.

Irinam of Viridian.
[Apr 19, 2007 7:17:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

The decisions are above the storyboard.

It would be extremely useful if the storyboard itself included what the player is thinking as the player is looking at the board at specific times in the course of the game. Not just decisions in general, but specifically, for this game, right now.

put another way, I would very much appreciate a concrete example of the decisions rather than abstract examples.
[Apr 20, 2007 1:56:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Uikur

I'll try. A person is helping with making images, so when I implement them I'll re-write the storyboard so you can see the decisions.
Just my thoughts.

Irinam of Viridian.
[Apr 20, 2007 7:31:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

I just took another look at this proposal while trying to come up with the art for it, and realized that this puzzle is very limited in possible outcomes, which cuts down on the replay value. You can only make a shirt so many times before you know exactly where to put the guides for a perfect score. The bonuses will add a little but will it be enough variety to keep people playing?
Pletoo of Sage
[Apr 21, 2007 6:18:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Uikur

I just took another look at this proposal while trying to come up with the art for it, and realized that this puzzle is very limited in possible outcomes, which cuts down on the replay value. You can only make a shirt so many times before you know exactly where to put the guides for a perfect score. The bonuses will add a little but will it be enough variety to keep people playing?

What does this mean?
Just my thoughts.

Irinam of Viridian.
[Apr 21, 2007 6:31:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

The current puzzles have enough of a random factor that the boards are generally different each time. In this proposal, you have seven items of clothing and even if more are added, a player will still get to the point where they have made the shirt ten times and have a pretty good idea where to place each of the guides. There are games (like gun) where you can pretty much know what to do every time but it is not always immediately obvious to the beginning player.

The fact that the needle is moving while you place pieces does add a bit of dexterity to it.

I realize that rotating the pieces one degree at a time also makes it harder to be exactly right, however, it would also be quite tedious. I would recommend larger increments, possibly ten or fifteen degrees at a time. I am assuming that you would have to have some idea of how the rays would bounce off of each angle, which would certainly require some learning.
Pletoo of Sage
[Apr 21, 2007 7:50:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Uikur

The current puzzles have enough of a random factor that the boards are generally different each time. In this proposal, you have seven items of clothing and even if more are added, a player will still get to the point where they have made the shirt ten times and have a pretty good idea where to place each of the guides. There are games (like gun) where you can pretty much know what to do every time but it is not always immediately obvious to the beginning player.

The fact that the needle is moving while you place pieces does add a bit of dexterity to it.

I realize that rotating the pieces one degree at a time also makes it harder to be exactly right, however, it would also be quite tedious. I would recommend larger increments, possibly ten or fifteen degrees at a time. I am assuming that you would have to have some idea of how the rays would bounce off of each angle, which would certainly require some learning.

True... Maybe have different cuts (slim, wide, normal, etc.)? This would also give more trouble because there would be different types of each object.

I never thought about that...

Ten sounds good. Not tedious, still challenging. Yes, you're right, but it DOES make it harder.
Just my thoughts.

Irinam of Viridian.
[Apr 22, 2007 9:44:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 103   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates