• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 12
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7393 times and has 11 replies Next Thread
Benzene265

Graphics programs, grids, testing for Colorblind-friendliness Reply to this Post

So, you've come up with the next Poker; a puzzle so brilliant that the old salts of the forums will declare a new era. You'll be right up there with Classic Drinking and the Global Purse. Unfortunately, you have no visuals. Without an illustration, the visually-inclined audience doesn't realize how great your puzzle is. Well, I'm here to help!

I assume you already have a graphics program of some sort. If you're a greenie at computer drawing, I recommend you leave it to MS Paint, for now. Once you've mastered the basics and get tired of one layer, you can move on to GIMP or Inkscape.

Now that you have your graphics program open, you'll need a grid. I've yet to see a puzzle game that wasn't on a grid of some sort. This site generates grid PDFs for you. Just make the cells the same size as your game pieces, then copy and paste into your graphics program. You could even print the grid out and hand-draw.

The grid is the hard part, actually. Once you have that, it's easy to line up your pieces. Don't worry about what the pieces look like. Playablity is far more important than graphics. Here's a not-to scale representation of a puzzle we're all familiar with. The grid came from a graph paper PDF, the rest was flood fills and the Wingdings font.

There are plenty of people in the forums who can make your proposal look pretty. But, it helps a lot if you can make a crude sketch for the programmers and artists to work from.

Thread title edited by CraftingProj.
----------------------------------------
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by CraftingProj at Aug 7, 2007 3:01:42 PM]
[Apr 7, 2007 11:40:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
Uikur

Re: Project Illustrations. Reply to this Post

This is definitely going to help. Thanks!
Just my thoughts.

Check out my proposal (Project Compere) here. Feedback and/or a coder is requested!

Irinam of Viridian.
[Apr 13, 2007 5:21:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Uikur

Crap I can't get the PDF into a paint-accepted image.
Just my thoughts.

Check out my proposal (Project Compere) here. Feedback and/or a coder is requested!

Irinam of Viridian.
[Apr 13, 2007 5:34:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cloverwood

Crap I can't get the PDF into a paint-accepted image.
Two words: Print Screen ;)

Nine more: The button on your keyboard, usually right above 'Insert'
TheRunt (Cerulean)
[Apr 13, 2007 6:16:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

My art skills are not the greatest but I do have some time on my hands - if anyone needs some help getting graphics for storyboards or whatever - give me a holler and I will see what I can do (providing I understand your game that is.)
Pletoo of Sage
[Apr 19, 2007 2:09:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

A small bump for a very useful site: The Colorblind Web Page Filter . Just enter the URL for your proposal and you'll soon understand why I use so many clashing pattern fills. >.> Run your page through the Grayscale filter, at least, if not all of the top four.
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Apr 27, 2007 10:53:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

A small bump for a very useful site: The Colorblind Web Page Filter . Just enter the URL for your proposal and you'll soon understand why I use so many clashing pattern fills. >.> Run your page through the Grayscale filter, at least, if not all of the top four.

Awesome site!

Just a quick note: as long as our testers don't complain about not being able to tell the difference between tiles, IMO we don't have to go out of our way to add the textures, as long as it is possible to add textures later. Any puzzle chosen for YPP would get new artwork anyway, right?
LordKalvan of Otherwhen, all oceans but mostly Midnight
[Apr 27, 2007 11:40:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DreadedChris

Just a quick note: as long as our testers don't complain about not being able to tell the difference between tiles, IMO we don't have to go out of our way to add the textures, as long as it is possible to add textures later.

I can't tell the difference between your tiles. ;p
(In the one with sponges and drops when you get to the 'many colors' level.)
And I have a very mild color deficiency.

Anyway, at 3 colors you have, for the totally colorblind, dark, light, medium. If your puzzle will use more than 3 colors, please don't plan to distinguish purely by color.
'The one slightly darker than the other one but not the darkest' is a horrible thing to need to identify under time pressure. (the tiles that I have trouble distinguishing in tcarr's puzzle look different in darkness level when layed in an example row... but in the storyboard they are not sufficiently different to identify in a grid full of contrasting colors.)

A number of puzzles also look to inherently be difficult to texture because they already are using 'pattern' and 'color' as game elements.
~< The Dread Pirate Chris >~
[Apr 27, 2007 12:26:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jdnx429

There's also the http://www.vischeck.com/ site that tcarr posted in the Guppy thread. That was very useful when I was having to add some extra color tiles for Loosejaw. I uploaded a file containing all the tiles together and see if I could tell them apart.
Josephdaniel on Midnight.
[Apr 27, 2007 12:31:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

A number of puzzles also look to inherently be difficult to texture because they already are using 'pattern' and 'color' as game elements.
My proposal, Snook, being one of them, I figured I would mention how I plan address the issue. At this time only three colors are ever used at a time, I will select sets of three that are easier to distinguish from each other. When generating the board, the game may choose any of the sets, but will not mingle them. It may also work to have the colors catagorized as light, medium or dark and then the game would just pick one of each. Either way, it is something I am aware of and will certainly bear in mind.
Pletoo of Sage
[Apr 27, 2007 12:46:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

*bump*

Craftingproj, could you please sticky this, and possibly edit the thread title? I wanted to find the urls for the colorblind filters and this was buried pretty deep.
LordKalvan of Otherwhen, all oceans but mostly Midnight
[Aug 7, 2007 8:47:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CraftingProj

done.
[Aug 7, 2007 3:02:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates