• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 21
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1439 times and has 20 replies Next Thread
SeattleBrian

[Sug] Hearty-type Manager notices Reply to this Post

Here is another suggestion, that I'm sure will get a response in 10 seconds saying either, "I hate that" or "That was already suggested".

How about highlighting managers' names for shops somehow when they are online?put a star next to them, or highlight them in blue.
[Feb 17, 2004 10:15:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Popper

Re: [Sug] Hearty-type Manager notices Reply to this Post

For tax evasion?
[Feb 17, 2004 10:37:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Actually, I don't think that's been suggested, and it's an interesting idea, though as Popper alludes to: why? So they can fiddle with prices for tax evasion? So you don't have to type /who Managername? I'm not knocking the idea, but right now I don't see it doing much for most people.
[Feb 17, 2004 10:44:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Buckley

If ye do this.. pls make it optional... It could result in a bunch of tells... sure, anyone who wants to tell me now, can look it up... but if I started getting inundated, I'd want to be able to turn it off and add that extra step of requiring them to check if I'm on to deter some of them.

- Buck
[Feb 17, 2004 10:44:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squidbeard

To keep it on topic: I agree with Hom (as usual).

To the purpose of my post (because I try to stay away from "me, too"): Could we make the title of this thread a bit more descriptive? I shudder to think of all the generic "Suggestion" threads that could pop up in the future.
----------------------------------------
Squid
High Priest, Cult of the Red Mantis
[Feb 17, 2004 11:52:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://looterati.goldfish.org [Link]  Go to top 
PotatoJones

I dunno if this would be entirely useful, but I kin say that it could be used fer things other than cuttin costs and gettin special prices. I had t'track down a manager at a tailor a while back t'get'em t'use their Yarrow fer a laurel. Paid full price as far as I know, so that jest means there's the slim chance that this could sometime, maybe, possibly, be used fer somethin other cheatin the system.

Still think doin a /who is as easy as anythin, though.
Potato Jones: Steam-Powered, High-Flying
[Feb 18, 2004 12:01:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    heretogoisaid [Link]  Go to top 
ultima7

As a manager of a Tailor I vote no to this proposal.

I already get occational tells when I am out sailing from people who want to sell me clothes for the rack. I am usually happy to buy clothes when I am IN the shop or around the island. But it gets very annoying when I am in the middle of something else and get multiple messages. Having my name highlighted whenever I am on would just add to the problem.

Modified proposal:
If something like this is done, please make it highlight the managers names only when they are on the same island as the shop. So it doesn't interupt what they are doing if away from the island.
Argyle
[Feb 18, 2004 12:07:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mehearties

Having just clicked on my desktop icon for YPP, i watch the java load and connect to the server. A new update is released, and begins its transfer to my computer. I wait with baited breath to see what goodies the devs have included, and the login screen appears. Logging into my account, I select my character. Seconds pass, and I appear on the docks amidst a wealth of players old and new, I notice something different: my name is no longer yellow, but an aquatic blue colour. My conversation box begins to fill. I read:

Randomperson tells you: "ahoy. why is your name blue?"
Greeny tells you: "why do different people have different names?"
Anotherrandompirate tells you: "so what shoppe do you manage?"

/me screams!

I think it could potentially be a useful addition, but certainly not without a user-toggle to switch it off and on. I know I would use something like this at times, but for the most part I would have it switched off.
[Feb 18, 2004 2:20:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

I think the suggestion is that the name in the shop list turns blue, not the one over your head.

atteSmythe,
who'd have jumped in this thread much earlier if it was the latter

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Feb 18, 2004 2:29:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
mehearties

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

/me laughs at his booch

It would certainly be easier for shoppers if they could see whether a manager is online or not, especially since newbies don't necessarily know how to search with the /who command.
[Feb 18, 2004 2:38:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xagoloth

Its an interesting idea, but does it really take that long to glance at who is in the shop and the names of the managers ?

It is a good idea and has its merits, but doesn't strike me as a big necessity.
JackSparrow
www.mashrur.com
[Feb 18, 2004 2:41:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mashrur.com    jaquesparrow@yahoo.com    mashsurfer [Link]  Go to top 
Telastyn

I could've used this feature a few times. Usually with tailors when I wanted to sell them clothes I had won or no longer needed. Sometimes checking with shipyard managers about pre-made ships. If people are worried about /msg's how about make it only bold managers who are online and not aboard ship?
[Feb 18, 2004 2:44:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Squidbeard wrote: 
Could we make the title of this thread a bit more descriptive?

I agree. And changed it.
[Feb 18, 2004 2:45:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

How about highlighting managers' names for shops somehow when they are online?put a star next to them, or highlight them in blue.

If it's opt-in, sure. I might want to opt in, but I doubt many other managers would. Of course, this would mean you'd need a way to tell who'd opted out, too.
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Feb 18, 2004 6:00:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Smurrf

Aye. I'll vote for a "yes" to the concept. Maybe make the change to the manager/owner list...changing it to something that looks more like the crew/hearty lists. Owner wears the CO hat, and managers get an SO hat...etc. Make it non minimizable (mostly because it doesn't need it) and change the buttons to have the "edit news".

Just to bring it more in line with the feel of the rest of the game, if nothing else.
Hermit Smurrf
[Feb 18, 2004 6:30:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

In summary: while "you" may want to know when managers are on, they often do NOT want you to know when they are on.
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Feb 18, 2004 7:05:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Correction: Only the friendly, customer-concerned managers want you to know. The rest are cold heartless moneygrubbers.

/me kicks the moneygrubbers.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Feb 18, 2004 7:51:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Hahaha. Unfortunately, it's not that simple. There's a certain tailor manager I know that gets called off of pillage runs at least twice a night because people want to sell their unused clothes now.

atteSmythe,
noting another reason he'll not run a shop

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Feb 18, 2004 8:06:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Smurrf

Well, if the pirates can't wait twnety minutes or so for the manager to hit the next port...I'm not sure I'd want to be giving money to them anyhow. We're doing them a service by taking their unwated possessions off their hands...it goes back to the "We have the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason" concept. Too bad this is the only way to do so, but hey.
Hermit Smurrf
[Feb 19, 2004 3:36:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lallaria

Oh please no.

Please oh please no.

The one time I was a shop owner in Azure...
So many /tells

Manager is not so much

But now you want them to know immediately whether or not they're on?

Try /who it works just fine.

Please no.
Lallaria
[size=10]Retired
[Feb 19, 2004 4:30:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Lallaria [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Hahaha. Unfortunately, it's not that simple. There's a certain tailor manager I know that gets called off of pillage runs at least twice a night because people want to sell their unused clothes now.

Why, Who could that be?

/me sinks even lower on the humour scale
from Midnight.
[Feb 19, 2004 5:50:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates