• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 49
Posts: 49   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 13516 times and has 48 replies Next Thread
Nemo
Artist

How do I work at a shoppe? Reply to this Post

If a shoppe is hiring, there should be a "Help Wanted" button off to the right in your "shoppe" panel. Click it to see the wages and whether or not you want to sign up.
Shoppes only pay when they use your work, however, so get yourself to a Market Hall to earn some steady money. There is one Market Hall on each inhabited island. Alpha Market doesn't need help because it doesn't gather any resources, but the outlying islands do a lot of business. Get on a ship and hire up at the Market Hall when you get to land.
You can have up to three jobs at any time and it's a good idea to have at least two of them be at Markets.

Your pay arrives in your purse at the end of the day and is dependent on whether or not your work is used. As above, shoppes only use work when they get an order, so sometimes you might not get paid at all from them. Market Halls always use labor, so they should pay you every day.

Right now, the puzzle is a fun way to act like you're working, but doesn't have any effect on your labor. Simply signing up means your work will be used. Soon, the puzzle will have varied effects on the way you work.

Good luck!

-Nemo
----------------------------------------
[May 28, 2003 7:57:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bakamedic

so.. Reply to this Post

why is there an alpha market again?
[May 28, 2003 10:30:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Re: How do I work at a shoppe? Reply to this Post

Alpha will produce at least rock, and hence will need a market for that. Other than that, Alpha can be used as a clearing-house for commodities once the economy starts going through regular fluctuations.

So, to answer your question, right now: no reason.

-Nemo
[May 29, 2003 4:02:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
saynata

This may sound a little silly, but I'm a bit confused.

If I, decide to get a job in a market, I don't do anything to make my wages?

I had stayed away from them because I don't have a boat to steer around, don't know how to trade and deal with raw goods, etc.
[size=9] Saynata, Captain and Supreme So-and-So of The Sirens; Former Mistress of the ol' Sew 'n' Sew.
[Jun 4, 2003 9:00:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Not a bloomin' thing.
[Jun 4, 2003 10:43:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

As of the new release, you now do have to do one thing. You have to periodically go to the shoppe to collect your wages.
[Jul 7, 2003 2:48:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
oconp88

getting paid at markets Reply to this Post

So do I get paid constantly if I work at a market, since I can always be gathering commodities, as opposed to a shoppe where I only get paid when there is work to do?
[Jul 8, 2003 6:22:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
malphigian

How exactly do I collect my wages? I've gone back to the two shoppes (one a market, one a shipwright) I work at and I didn't gain any money -- did it go right into my bank account and I just missed a message?

If it matters I went back a day later real time, several play hours later.

Thanks!
[Jul 26, 2003 3:54:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

You can see if you have any wages to collect by looking at your money report - the ? next to your poe in the booty panel.

If you're not getting paid, the shop may have had no orders, or the market/shop may have so many workers it doesn't need you - leave it & try taking another job instead.

I have noticed that shifting jobs on one of my alts takes a good while before the labour starts to be used (it was a couple of days with only 2 hours labour used I think - in a shop that I know needed all the work it could get) whereas the other 2 switch immediately; so give it a couple of days before you write that job off! But shortages have meant that some shops haven't been making as much; and some of the markets have a LOT of workers so don't use your labour so much.

When you walk into somewhere that you have wages waiting, it will say "you have collected your wages of ?poe" and appear in the booty you hold.
[Jul 26, 2003 5:15:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ColdCell

Righ now I am working at shipwright at Alpha Island. Through the back door, I can do 3 puzzles. When I start working on one, it says the puzzle is not complete.

My question is.. how do I do the puzzle? I keep on doing the puzzle but gain nothing from it. My stats did not go up and no report saying how good/badly I have done.
[Jul 27, 2003 2:23:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hanzii

well, reading this thread is a good way to get your question answered.
You could even stick to just reading Nemos first post.

Nemo wrote: 
Right now, the puzzle is a fun way to act like you're working, but doesn't have any effect on your labor. Simply signing up means your work will be used. Soon, the puzzle will have varied effects on the way you work.

Hanzii - shipbuilder (retired), Turtle
[Jul 27, 2003 5:48:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.lauring.net [Link]  Go to top 
marcin

.. Reply to this Post

As of this latest patch, tons of shops are "Hiring" but when you try to sign up for the job it says the shop can only have 15 workers. If they are maxed out, why are they still hiring?

I even got fired from one of my jobs cuz of this =p
[Jul 28, 2003 4:41:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Because the shopkeeper has to switch "on" the now hiring, and it doesn't shut off automatically when it's full.
[Jul 28, 2003 4:44:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

And if the shopkeeper switches off the "Now Hiring" and then loses a worker or two it can REALLY slow things down on a backlog of orders. Whereas if it is left visible, at least you get the chance to take that job as soon as there is a vacancy.

Edit: this is now fixed btw; thanks Peghead!

It doesn't benefit you having more than one job unless there are no orders to be worked on by the way; find out which is paying you best and/or most often, and leave the others so you are available for their work. I've fired a few people from the lower-paid of jobs if they have 2 or more on Epsilon; the lower paid employment isn't getting to use their labour with the amount of work we have waiting there so it frees up a vacancy for someone else.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by stevoid at Jul 28, 2003 5:33:09 AM]
[Jul 28, 2003 5:33:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
brianwong

I have gone to every island and every shop on both alpha and emperor island chains, and there are no shops hiring anywhere...seems pretty bad to me...
[Aug 4, 2003 11:11:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemoder

I understand that the hours you can work is split up between jobs AND between characters on the same account but apparently simply having alternate characters takes away hours regardless if they are working.
I had hoped to quit jobs on my lesser used alternates and only keep my main char working but it seems he doesn't get the full allotted hours.
Now that me shop has a max of 15 workers and I have a ton of backlogged orders I have to fire everyone (including myself!) who has alternate chars and only hire on workers who have no other jobs or characters.
Is this a misunderstanding or is the intention to 'punish' those who use more than one character?
[Aug 4, 2003 7:23:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
oconp88

Punishment Reply to this Post

As I understand it, this is not "punishment" for using other characters, what it is is a way to keep people from having three characters with great jobs just to bring in huge amounts of poe to one of the characters.

In case thats not clear an example is I have one character (no alts) but if this labor restriction was not in place I could set up to "ghost" characters just so they could work 24 hours. I could then log on to each of them, collect my wages, deposit the cash in a ships hold, and then come back as my main character and get all that extra poe.

This was especially a problem when you had really high paying jobs where people could collect hundreds of poe per day using this method. Too much poe floating around is not a good thing.

If I am wrong feel free to flame me. I am after all...

Eduardo
Evil/Lazy Weaver of Guava
[Aug 4, 2003 11:27:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemoder

I understand the need to split the hours between chars but ideally if only one of your chars has a job shouldn't he get all the hours?
As it is now (unless i'm wrong) as soon as you make a new char you immediately get less hours regardless if you get jobs with it.
[Aug 5, 2003 2:14:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DanTaylor

SO how does one quit a low paying job?
[Aug 8, 2003 12:21:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Open up your Employment window (under Ye), select the job, and click on "Quit this job".
[Aug 8, 2003 12:24:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
DanTaylor

Thanks for the reply, funny story right after I posted this I found out how to do it. But thanks for the help anyways. Good to see the experoenced players helping out us n00bs.;)
[Aug 8, 2003 2:32:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ghoulascor

i cant got my money Reply to this Post

i got a job in the market on spring island, the next day i went and collected my money but i cant get it off the island because when i leave i bury it and there is no bank on that island

thanks
[Aug 14, 2003 3:56:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Garthor

Re: i cant got my money Reply to this Post

ghoulascor wrote: 
thanks

You're welcome.
Cleaver wrote: 
I've never been logged on, let alone on a ship.

[Aug 14, 2003 6:40:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ghoulascor

Re: i cant got my money Reply to this Post

Garthor wrote: 
ghoulascor wrote: 
thanks

You're welcome.

whats the point
[Aug 14, 2003 10:48:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
brianwong

I hope the devs realise that there are not nearly enough jobs to meet the number of people out there. Go around and look if you doubt it..
[Aug 16, 2003 1:35:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TGCid

Yes, I recently got a job at the commodities market on Cnossos island, about a day or two ago, however, there has yet to be any wages for me to collect on this island. Is this because they have yet to use more labor, or does this have to do with foraging or what not? I am confused.
[Aug 16, 2003 1:54:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ely

Pretty much. If you aren't getting paid, that's because they aren't using your labor. They are either not getting much business and have no reason to use it, you are using too much of your labor on foraging, or a little of both.
[Aug 16, 2003 2:23:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Ely114 [Link]  Go to top 
TGCid

So when I forage my labor cannot be used by the shops?
[Aug 16, 2003 3:01:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ely

Correct. It takes from the daily labor your character generates. This labor, otherwise, would go towards shop work.
[Aug 16, 2003 5:05:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Ely114 [Link]  Go to top 
oconp88

Brian Reply to this Post

I am sure that they realize it. I have mentioned it in a few of my posts in an effort to point out that even though guava has 2000 residents there are not even close to that many jobs on guava and probably close to that many in the arch.
[Aug 17, 2003 1:32:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 49   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates