• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 12
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1370 times and has 11 replies Next Thread
adramolek

Feature Request: Multiple chat log files. Reply to this Post

One single chat log file takes a bit long to load. It would be nice to have it automatically generate a new log file each day.

Uh... that's it.

Skank.
----------------------------------------
The List: Where good suggestions go when they die.
More swords now thx.
CLICKY -> CLICK HERE TO CLAIM YOUR 100000 POE PRIZE! <- CLICKY
[Jan 22, 2004 1:42:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

Re: Feature Request: Multiple chat log files. Reply to this Post

well, while anything automated is usually considered "better" than something manual, just go into the options, and set a new file each day.
[Jan 22, 2004 2:08:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kuibbles

I second this request.

For although automated is considered better, I say having more options are even greater. [So long as defaults are kept the same, so folks aren't forced to go through options, just those who want 'em]

On that note, the log isn't set as a default, so just toss in another option in the log window to create seperate logs, rather than appending them to a single file.

Heck, I think logs are great and would suggest making a single big log as a default, and then giving the options of no-log or multiple logs.

But I like logs. Now in New Yorkese!

~Kuibbles
"Fall seven times, stand up eight." - Unknown

"Be honorable yourself if you wish to associate with honorable people." - Unknown
[Jan 22, 2004 3:09:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
triskaideka

I was thinking it might be cool to be able to set separate log files for each of your alts.
[Jan 22, 2004 11:46:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tarrasque

I would love an option to split off certain forms of communication into separate logs...say all /tells in one, /crew in another, etc. Also, when one is in full-screen chat view (the one that doesn't show the main PP screen behind the text), the different methods of communication need to be better distinguished. It's not possible to tell if someone is /crew chatting or /saying something out loud.
Captain Lafitte (formerly Geno) of the Infernal Infidels
[Jan 22, 2004 11:51:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.nuevarevolucion.net [Link]  Go to top 
quixmix

triskaideka wrote: 
I was thinking it might be cool to be able to set separate log files for each of your alts.

Yes. Please. This makes more sense than anything. Having them all smooshed together makes no sense to me.

Chat log splits by week/day/month would be nice too.
Ace o' Hearts
Captain of The Last Exiles
[Jan 23, 2004 2:23:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Slummock

i dont want a new chatlog everytime i log on.

i dont really want different ones for different alts, but it wouldnt bother me that much
Glub (again)
[Jan 23, 2004 2:37:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
adramolek

Slummock wrote: 
i dont want a new chatlog everytime i log on.

i dont really want different ones for different alts, but it wouldnt bother me that much

That's why it would be an option.

I like the idea of separating by type as well.
The List: Where good suggestions go when they die.
More swords now thx.
CLICKY -> CLICK HERE TO CLAIM YOUR 100000 POE PRIZE! <- CLICKY
[Jan 24, 2004 10:47:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ikajaste

Chatlog splitting with external programs Reply to this Post

(Clarification: I am talking about the chat log saved into a separate file, not the in-game chat log...)

As the chat log hasn't got much to do with the game client, I'd rather want the devs doing something only they have control over - that is something with the game. The chat log splitting in the game would require another, perhaps several user options to be added to the client - not that I'm against options, but these wouldn't really be very necessary ones.

I wouldn't mind multiple log files, but we can do that by writing a program for splitting the log ourselves (called "the axe"? :). The log is an external file in a very easy-to-read format, which can be figured out just by reading it, so I think it would be very easy to write a program to split it (not that the exact specifications of the file wouldn't help though). The /tell, /crew, /whatever split should be easy also.

Ok, I admit that the problem is that someone actually has to write the program, not just talk about writing it. (And anyone interested in writing it is probably already using linux, and can do the splitting by some one-line command.)

- Ilari / Artias
- Ilari (Artias of Revontuli, Mignight Ocean)
[Jan 26, 2004 7:21:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://iki.fi/ilari.kajaste [Link]  Go to top 
garf

yeah, i know, this is gag recycling Reply to this Post

triskaideka wrote: 

i would give my right leg for that. or my left hand. or an eye.

edit: ikajaste - there is no way at all to tell from which of your clients a line in the chatlog originates. and yes, if you run two (or more) clients simultanously, they write to the same logfile.
- Randal

[size=9]also Garf, Silvain and a few others
[Jan 26, 2004 7:28:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    garf+on+aim [Link]  Go to top 
Crystallina

Heh. I'm afraid injuries don't quite work that way.
Rapmasta26, in a surprisingly accurate assessment of many posters' attitude towards things:

PLEASE PEOPLE, IF YOU DONT AGREE DONT REPLY!!!!!!!!!!!

[Jan 26, 2004 7:30:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    YPP+Crystallina [Link]  Go to top 
ikajaste

chatlog file format inadequacy Reply to this Post

garf wrote: 
triskaideka wrote: 

[...]
ikajaste - there is no way at all to tell from which of your clients a line in the chatlog originates. and yes, if you run two (or more) clients simultanously, they write to the same logfile.

Eep... Well the alt-splitting is a bit problematic then, indeed. :)

Hmm, perhaps the devs could add this information to be written to the log file or create a different file for each alt? I'd prefer the different files, though. If someone needs only one file, she can write a program to combine them. :)
- Ilari (Artias of Revontuli, Mignight Ocean)
[Jan 26, 2004 7:50:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://iki.fi/ilari.kajaste [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates