• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 5
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2850 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
plasmaglasse

Some of us can't really make games that well but I'm sure they have excellent suggestions Reply to this Post

First off, I apologize in advance for any rules I may be unknowingly breaking, I am new and I have no idea how to even get to the fourm about rules.

I do not really know the rules of the contest and I may not be able to participate in it for my inability to make games that would pique the intrest of anyone, but I do belive that there might be some worthwile ideas out there.

For instance, wouldn't a sudoku game be perfect for weaving? Think about it sudokus and tapastries are both squares, both require much concntration, and sudokus are the east's epitome of puzzles. There could be a grid full of numbers at the top and at the bottom you would get patchwork square numbers and you would fill the grid in.

Another idea I think that would be worthwile would be for tailoring would be tanagrams. Tanagrams are also another prime example of a worthwile puzzle, and there are as many patterns for your clothes as there are for patterns from tanagrams. Pieces of cloth could be rotated, flipped, or sewn toghter to look like what is excpected.

If anone wants to post their own ideas, yell at me, take down the fourm, boot me, comment on my ideas, threaten me, or ban this fourm, if they are following the rules then go right ahead with it.
[Dec 27, 2006 12:43:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

Re: Some of us can't really make games that well but I'm sure they have excellent suggestions Reply to this Post

Ahoy! Welcome to GCPP!

You don't have to be able to program to put forth an idea. There be four basic jobs: designer (coming up with the idea in the first place), artist, programmer, and tester.

Please read the Project rules and guidelines , then ask for help.

Unfortunately, standard Sudoku has several strikes against it, fun as it is to play.
1. Each puzzle does have a complete solution, and there are programs that are fairly easy to write and run that can solve those puzzles. This makes it too tempting for people to write cheat programs, and even without the cheaters there would be far too many people competing for Ultimate.

2. We want to have puzzles that are at least a little different from something a person can play elsewhere.

Keep the ideas coming though. Find *one* at a time that you want to flesh out properly, and put it on the wiki, then let us know about it. We will prod you into putting in the missing pieces.
----------------------------------------
LordKalvan of Otherwhen, all oceans but mostly Midnight
[Dec 27, 2006 2:48:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

Re: Some of us can't really make games that well but I'm sure they have excellent suggestions Reply to this Post

Minor yell! Spell-check is your friend. You get one for free in Firefox 2.0.

Minor threat! Research first. Sudoku was invented by an American and first published in 1979 in Dell Magazines Get your facts wrong and people will point it out!

Seriously, though, welcome to the forums; you haven't broken any rules. To find all the rules, sift through the Terms link at the bottom of the page, as well as the "stickies" () at the top of each forum.

As for "samey" puzzles, this forum isn't the right one - as Kalvan points out, the GCP is for new original puzzles - but GD (Game Design) is.

Although I don't see an argument for Sudoku (too modern) I actually really like the idea of in-game tangram.

I'm going to steal that idea, in fact, and run with it! ;)
[Dec 27, 2006 3:13:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
plasmaglasse

Thanks that is nice. Sorry for not having spellchecked first, but if I download one more thing my computer is going to blow up, so writing a neat first draft is all I can stand (when unthreatened). Also, Im sorry about messing up that factiod about sudokus. I hope I haven't offeneded anyone, and I'll try better to keep track of my facts.

Original puzzles though... thats a good area of thought. Hmmm... past a SIMON SAYS (tm) style smithing idea I have got nothing..

Wait! What about a game involving working with 3 dimentions. The possibilites cout be much greater. Like maybe a RUBRIX(tm) cube or one of those roll-the-marble-through-the-maze-without-letting-it-drop-into-the-holes-by-using-those-knobby-thingies-game (sorry dont know the name).

But seriously... maybe a game involving motor programming would be fun. You are given control of a person and can give it simple commands like move forward, stop, pick up, ect. and you have to map it out beforehand, like a LEGO MINDSTROMS(tm) Robot.

Oh wait... I forgot the only one idea per post rule. Sorry! I just cant help thinking all the time. I'll try to spare you additional suffering by ending this long, obnoxius, gramatically incorrect, rule-breaking post now.
[Dec 27, 2006 10:46:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CraftingProj

Dylan, please don't yell at people on the forum. "Minor quibble" is a lot friendlier.

Welcome to GCPP, plasmaglasse! I suggest that you read a few of the puzzles that have been proposed already, and perhaps try playing the ones on GameGardens. This will give you an idea of the type of detail that is needed. You can find the links here:
http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=895413#895413

For the next two or three weeks, we will be concentrating most of our efforts on testing the round 1 puzzles and giving feedback on them. Starting January 15th, the major focus will turn to getting new ideas and polishing puzzle ideas that weren't solid enough for round 1.
[Dec 28, 2006 6:29:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates