• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 759
Posts: 759   Pages: 26   [ First Page | Previous Page | 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 240101 times and has 758 replies Next Thread
barlennan

Re: Pirate Commodity Trader... with Bleach! A new 3rd party tool Reply to this Post

Are you looking to fix this version which is not working now?

I think there were two different pieces there. Burninator's client is coming and works with the new changes, but that isn't the "fix the version which is not working now". The new client version posted at pctb.crabdance.com fixes what is broken TODAY.

We actually have 3 clients going right now, the one you're used to (new version), Burninator's, and another that also hooks into another application which has yet to be fully released.
[Sep 25, 2009 8:55:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
weigh12345

Re: Pirate Commodity Trader... with Bleach! A new 3rd party tool Reply to this Post

I've got 5.0.28 - used it successfully for a little while. Now when I try and launch I get a Windows error: "...has encountered a problem and needs to close" I've tried rebooting, reinstalling - still no luck. What am I missing?
----------------------------------------
- Wyzard on Viridian -
[Oct 10, 2009 6:05:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fjc7

Does this happen before the OCR Client window is shown or after?

I'm not sure what is causing this. However, I've created a new version (5.0.29) of the client that adds some more application level exception handling and displays a dialog with a stack trace when an exception is caught. It should be available soon on the server. Can you give that a try and then let me know what the error dialog says (you can PM me or submit a defect to http://sourceforge.net/projects/pctb2).

Yuhu on Sage
[Oct 10, 2009 7:58:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
weigh12345

This happens before any window is shown. I'll try the new client when it becomes available - thanks for the quick reply!
- Wyzard on Viridian -
[Oct 11, 2009 6:30:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fjc7

I uploaded the 5.0.29 install package to the sourceforge website (http://sourceforge.net/projects/pctb2) so you can grab it from there if you want. I don't have direct access to the PCTB web server but have sent the install package off to barlennan to upload to it.

Yuhu on Sage
[Oct 11, 2009 7:57:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
barlennan

I don't have direct access to the PCTB web server but have sent the install package off to barlennan to upload to it.

These things always happen when I'm away for the weekend. It's up on the site now.
[Oct 13, 2009 7:05:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
eyeeze

Just downloaded and installed the latest version of PPAOCR today (5.0.29).

Used it once, then closed it.

Now I am getting this persistent error whenever I try to launch it again.

Doesn't seem to matter whether I have PP open or not, whether I'm at the market screen, etc. Any ideas?
Pajamarama - Captain, Discount Pirates, Sage Ocean
Visit Pajamarama's Distill-o-rama on Isle of Kent. We will never be undersold! Arrgh!
[Oct 16, 2009 4:15:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fjc7

I think I found the problem. This bug is in version 5.0.28 and 5.0.29 and occurs after you change settings in the Options dialog.

I've uploaded a new version (5.0.30) that should fix this to the sourceforge.net/projects/pctb2 website and it should also be available soon on the PCTB site.

Yuhu on Sage
[Edit 1 times, last edit by fjc7 at Oct 17, 2009 7:44:22 PM]
[Oct 17, 2009 7:43:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
algybot

Will someone please throw me a bone here? I have tried to read through this thread (skipped most I admit) and all I am getting is more confused.

I have looked at the web based PCTB and think it might be very useful to me, and so I took the latest info from the post above mine and downloaded the zipfile.

On extracting that, I have a folder with 2 setup files, one names simply Setup.exe and the other named Setup.msi.

I tried running the first one, and the install window came up with the EULA for Microsoft .NET Framework.

Now.... I do not WANT the .NET framework on my system, and have hidden all update notices for it on the Windows Update site. So.... does this PCTB client require it?

If so.... I guess I'll give PCTB a miss, thanks.

I see there is another client (program?) mentioned on this thread, done by Burninator. I believe this is a Java client, so would that be the client I need to have what looks like very good and useful info, but without the need to install more Microsoft ...... ahem..... stuff? :)

Hope someone can unconfoozle me :)

EDIT: Hmmm, I'll probably drop the idea anyway, as I just noticed the age of the data on the crabdance web page... it's not really any use to me if it's not current or fairly current data. Over a day old makes it pretty useless in fact, particularly for gems.
-------- ALGY
- On ALL Oceans
- Mainly Midnight
[Edit 1 times, last edit by algybot at Oct 18, 2009 9:28:53 PM]
[Oct 18, 2009 8:58:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tanonev

EDIT: Hmmm, I'll probably drop the idea anyway, as I just noticed the age of the data on the crabdance web page... it's not really any use to me if it's not current or fairly current data. Over a day old makes it pretty useless in fact, particularly for gems.

The age of the data is the last time someone used the PCTB client. In other words, if you want current data, download the client (talk to Burni for the Java version; I believe he's made it all legal now, and he's just dealing with user-friendliness issues) and run it on the islands that you want to visit.
Tanonev on all oceans; currently exploring Meridian.
Puppetar by Tilinka
[Oct 19, 2009 2:52:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.alpha-slash.com [Link]  Go to top 
algybot

Well, as I don't really know what the client does, perhaps you can tell me?

By "run it on the islands that you want to visit", do you mean I just select an island in the client and click a button? Or do I have to actually visit the island in the game, open the market screen and do a copy of it to then "upload" via the client?

I think I will talk to Burninator though, to see if the java client is better for me.
-------- ALGY
- On ALL Oceans
- Mainly Midnight
[Oct 20, 2009 3:55:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tanonev

I mean the latter: visit the island, open up the market screen, and then click the "upload" button while the market screen is open. The client will scan the information in the market screen and upload it to the PCTB server.
Puppetar by Tilinka
[Oct 20, 2009 4:10:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.alpha-slash.com [Link]  Go to top 
algybot

Erm... riiight, so, in other words, I have to continue to get the information I need the way I am doing it already, using lots of whisks and time, but by installing a program I can let others have that information with no effort on their part?

Nice idea, IF there were lots of users, and they all regularly updated the info.... however, that appears to not be the case, so.....

One other major problem I've discovered on reading this thread further, is that apparently the whole thing breaks if you have large fonts selected in PP?

If that is also a problem in Burninator's client, then it can't be used by me at all. I NEED the large font setting.
-------- ALGY
- On ALL Oceans
- Mainly Midnight
[Oct 20, 2009 4:35:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tanonev

Burni's client supports large fonts, anti-aliased fonts, subpixel-rendered fonts, custom system fonts, etc. It runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux.

As for the amount of effort needed to run the client, remember that only the work of visiting markets remains. The PCTB server handles profit calculations. When I personally use PCTB, I spend all of about 30 seconds gathering market data (I have a preferred start and end island pair), and about another 30 seconds selecting what I want to move from the PCTB website.

If you're running Windows, are adamant about keeping the data to yourself, and don't mind using a closed-source third party tool, then the Puzzle Pirates Trade Profiteer is probably a better choice for you.
Puppetar by Tilinka
[Oct 20, 2009 4:56:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.alpha-slash.com [Link]  Go to top 
algybot

Cool! Sounds like I should have no trouble with that at all.

As for keeping data to myself, I don't mind in the least helping others to get the data too. My only concern was that it seems, at the moment at least, that not many others are actually doing much uploading of data.

Maybe that's just because things seem to be in a bit of a hiatus with problems etc.

I've PM'd Burninator, so I'll wait and see if he will let me try his client. Thanks for your help with this :)
-------- ALGY
- On ALL Oceans
- Mainly Midnight
[Oct 20, 2009 7:05:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
barlennan

My only concern was that it seems, at the moment at least, that not many others are actually doing much uploading of data.

It all depends. Some times no one is using it. Other times I have people thank me in-game for keeping this up and running. Some islands almost never get uploaded, some get uploaded a lot.

I still wouldn't trust data more than a few minutes old, since if someone uploaded it, they're probably taking advantage of it.
[Oct 22, 2009 3:20:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
algybot

LOL!!

Y'know, that's a very good point :-)

-------- ALGY
- On ALL Oceans
- Mainly Midnight
[Oct 22, 2009 5:04:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

I still wouldn't trust data more than a few minutes old, since if someone uploaded it, they're probably taking advantage of it.

That depends a great deal on how you use the data. If you are looking to buy stuff dockside on one island and sell it on another, then yeah, old data can be very risky. However, if you are placed orders in stores and/or using bid tickets, then data that is days old is often still quite valid. I sometimes just use old data for dockside buy/sell operations and do a quick double check of key items, if most of the "buy" items are still around, it is likely the trade is still ok. There are people who don't feel comfortable and/or have the PoE to movie 5 gold ore. And, just getting general ideas of prices (is KB up or down compared with this summer? What about sail cloth?), it doesn't make much difference if the data is old or not.

Uploading data to a public database can help people who aren't competing with your goals at all. It's good karma. ;-)
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Oct 23, 2009 10:15:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
algybot

Agreed.

I have absolutely no problem with using a thrid party tool to upload data from each market. I zip around all over the place, using whisks like they are going out of fashion, so taking a few extra seconds to upload data would be no hardship, and I always have been commited to helping others.....however.....

I still haven't had a reply to the PM I sent to Burninator asking about his Java client, so I am unable to either help others, or even myself right now :(

Hopefully, it won't be much longer before I can start using a client and actually test if all this interesting data is going to be really useful to me, as I think it might.

-------- ALGY
- On ALL Oceans
- Mainly Midnight
[Oct 23, 2009 11:32:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wawamew

I have now uploaded version 5.0.30 in the hope that it would resolve a problem I had with earlier versions. Unfortunately, it has not.

When I capture data for Bowditch (on Sage) the client works fine but, when I attempt to upload the data, I get this error message:

"Could not upload data due to incomplete shop/stall names (names contain ...). Try using a wider window size or avoid capturing from a ship."

I always capture data from the market and have tried a variety of window sizes without success. The client works fine for other islands on Sage and, because Bowditch data is updated by other users, it is clear that the client should work.

Any suggestions for solutions?
[Oct 24, 2009 3:43:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

"Could not upload data due to incomplete shop/stall names (names contain ...). Try using a wider window size or avoid capturing from a ship."

Looking at some of the shoppe names for Bowditch Island on the YPPedia, I can understand why you're receiving that error. Looking at the market information, you should try scrolling through the list to see if any names are being truncated with the ellipsis (...). If you see any, that will confirm the error message is accurate.

Otherwise, the only thing you can do is use increase the screen size, if your computer will support it. 800x600 is the default size of the YPP window, so take it up to the next setting which is 1024x768. You can do this through the Options button on the Ye tab. In the Options that come up, go to the General tab and look for a drop-down box labeled "Screen size".
On Viridian as Arcturis, Captain of The Rum Running Dragons and King of Demons and Damsels
[Oct 24, 2009 12:18:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fjc7

Brandishwar was right... I just tried it and it looks like the culprit is "Spam, Spam, Spam, Shoppes and Spam" which ends up being too long in the standard 800x600 size (has the ellipsis ...). I just tried it at 960x600 and that worked. As far as I know the current server API uses the shoppe name to match up the island so I'm reluctant to modify the client to upload truncated names. Presumably the newer Java based client won't have this issue since it doesn't use OCR to grab the data.

Yuhu on Sage
[Oct 24, 2009 8:29:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wawamew

Thanks for the advice. With a bit of fiddling, I've managed to solve the problem. I had to change my Windows screen resolution to 1280X960 and the PP resolution to 1024X768 to get a fit that works for me. Might have to change my specs as well!
[Oct 25, 2009 1:45:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
barlennan

As far as I know the current server API uses the shoppe name to match up the island so I'm reluctant to modify the client to upload truncated names.

Yeah, and one of the things on my plate has been to change the server-side to handle fuzzy matching, but I've been busy and reluctant to do it hoping that the problem would fix itself either through the Java client or resolutions going up over time.
[Oct 25, 2009 7:01:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wawamew

Next Problem - Arakoua Island on Sage.

I can capture data from the market but when I attempt to upload the data the client suggests Adder Ridge on Cobalt as the island. When I change the suggestion to Arakoua on Sage I get this error message:

Warning: file_get_contents(): URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /hsphere/local/home/signetst/pctb.crabdance.com/upload.php on line 611 Warning: file_get_contents(http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Arakoua_Island_%28Sage%29): failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /hsphere/local/home/signetst/pctb.crabdance.com/upload.php on line 611 Couldn't read the island YPPedia page

Is there a solution?
[Nov 6, 2009 7:57:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
barlennan

Arakoua Island on Sage doesn't have a YPPedia page, and I rely on that being there and current to identify islands. Take a look at the link in the error message.
[Nov 7, 2009 9:21:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

It does, actually. All of the english-ocean islands (save for much of the Garnet Archipelago on Crimson) have articles already, even if they're uninhabited.
[Nov 7, 2009 9:27:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wawamew

As Belthazar says, there is a page here:

http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Arakoua_Island

Could there be a problem with the code?
[Nov 8, 2009 12:49:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

Actually, it's at http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Arakoua_Island_(Sage) - the one without the (Sage) is a redirect.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Belthazar451 at Nov 8, 2009 2:21:53 AM]
[Nov 8, 2009 2:21:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bentacore

Warning: file_get_contents(): URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /hsphere/local/home/signetst/pctb.crabdance.com/upload.php on line 611 Warning: file_get_contents(http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Dragon%27s_Nest_%28Viridian%29): failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /hsphere/local/home/signetst/pctb.crabdance.com/upload.php on line 611 Couldn't read the island YPPedia page

Same issue for Dragon's nest on viridian. Do we have any way to fix or circumvent this?

/me is based of of DN so not having current market data is a little annoying.
[Nov 8, 2009 2:31:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 759   Pages: 26   [ First Page | Previous Page | 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates