• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 11
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1677 times and has 10 replies Next Thread
Squashbuckle

Scissors to work like paintbrush, but for changing banner/bunk colors Reply to this Post

Triggster first suggested this here and it seemed to be completely overlooked (probably because it was buried at the end of a tangentially related suggestion. So I figured it warranted its own thread.

Once upon a time, ships came prepainted and there was no way to change the colors. Then the Devs made ships come unpainted and shortly thereafter rolled out the paintbrush and paint and people could paint their ships. There was much rejoicing.

Once upon a more recent time, large ships came with randomly colored banners and bunks. Promising us a chance to customize these ships, the devs changed it so all ships came with white banners and bunks and they gave us furniture. There was much rejoicing. Then people realized that only some bunks and none of the exterior banners could be replaced. All ships have white banners. There is no way to get a ship without white banners (except on Midnight, where the old relics remain). There was much tarting and begging for a way to change the colors.

Then Triggster made a suggestion, which was good at the time and is even better now! Implement it, and there will be much rejoicing.

Give us scissors that will do for banners and bunks what paintbrushes did for paint. Scissors (which should cost about 1K and 5 doubs, to make up for the lack of doub cost to cloth) could be available from ironmongers or weaveries. Click them, and it brings up an interface identical to the paintbrush interface, but it's the banner colors you change instead. In each scene, cloth would be used from either the hold or a dockside purchase (again analogous to the paintbrush) to recolor banners and beds. Banners would take fine cloth, bunks take regular cloth (just like in a furnisher) and we can all finally recolor our ships as we have wished to do since they all turned white ages ago.
----------------------------------------
Polly
Hunter
Captain of Flocktarts

[Dec 9, 2006 10:33:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

Re: Scissors to work like paintbrush, but for changing banner/bunk colors Reply to this Post

Sissors should have no doubloon costs. The doubloon costs should be associated with placing new banners/covers, and depend on the ship size.

The problem with putting it on the UI tool is that it makes the same cost for doing one sloop or 10 frigs.

(And frankly, this should have been how paint was handled -- it is an intermediate commodity for bludgeons, and the only intermediate with a doubloon charge.)
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Dec 12, 2006 4:29:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
Jabroni

Re: Scissors to work like paintbrush, but for changing banner/bunk colors Reply to this Post

Heh, this reminds me of the greenie that Sweetie bumped into who bought new cloth trying to change the curtains in the shack :)

Seriously, a cool idea that I don't see too much downside for. I'd put the Scissors in the IM and voila with a decay exactly equal to the paintbrush, all set.
Littlebus, Captain of Club Dread [Midnight]
Jabrone [Hunter]
[Dec 13, 2006 12:23:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nalanthi

Heh, this reminds me of the greenie that Sweetie bumped into who bought new cloth trying to change the curtains in the shack :)

Seriously, a cool idea that I don't see too much downside for. I'd put the Scissors in the IM and voila with a decay exactly equal to the paintbrush, all set.

Not to mention an end user product for cloth.
Nalanthi - A Blatant PvPer, War Monger and Officer of the Falcon's Fury.
-Midnight (Retired)
Tamman - Head of a Merchant Empire, and Strategist of Black Plague
-Viridian (Retired)
Nalanthi - Mercenary and scalawag.
-Malachite
[Dec 13, 2006 1:40:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
black_beard7

Triggster first suggested this here and it seemed to be completely overlooked (probably because it was buried at the end of a tangentially related suggestion. So I figured it warranted its own thread.

Once upon a time, ships came prepainted and there was no way to change the colors. Then the Devs made ships come unpainted and shortly thereafter rolled out the paintbrush and paint and people could paint their ships. There was much rejoicing.

Once upon a more recent time, large ships came with randomly colored banners and bunks. Promising us a chance to customize these ships, the devs changed it so all ships came with white banners and bunks and they gave us furniture. There was much rejoicing. Then people realized that only some bunks and none of the exterior banners could be replaced. All ships have white banners. There is no way to get a ship without white banners (except on Midnight, where the old relics remain). There was much tarting and begging for a way to change the colors.

Then Triggster made a suggestion, which was good at the time and is even better now! Implement it, and there will be much rejoicing.

Give us scissors that will do for banners and bunks what paintbrushes did for paint. Scissors (which should cost about 1K and 5 doubs, to make up for the lack of doub cost to cloth) could be available from ironmongers or weaveries. Click them, and it brings up an interface identical to the paintbrush interface, but it's the banner colors you change instead. In each scene, cloth would be used from either the hold or a dockside purchase (again analogous to the paintbrush) to recolor banners and beds. Banners would take fine cloth, bunks take regular cloth (just like in a furnisher) and we can all finally recolor our ships as we have wished to do since they all turned white ages ago.

Heartily endorse!

Second idea I've brought up again by another user.
Triggster.
On all oceans, but mainly Viridian.
Captain of Trigonometry. Lord and former royal of RiddleMakers.
[Dec 13, 2006 2:06:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nalanthi

They should also be able to change the color or the carpet on the floors of the houses. Not everyone likes red carpet.

Please Sir, May we have so Scissors?
Nalanthi - A Blatant PvPer, War Monger and Officer of the Falcon's Fury.
-Midnight (Retired)
Tamman - Head of a Merchant Empire, and Strategist of Black Plague
-Viridian (Retired)
Nalanthi - Mercenary and scalawag.
-Malachite
[Dec 21, 2006 6:43:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
qwpzxjor1

A great idea.

Although it will make my colour bannered ships suddenly less special.
Whitewyvern wrote: 
For every American who mispells "Favour" and "Colour", there is a textspeak child abusing the letter U to balance things out.

[Dec 21, 2006 8:08:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squashbuckle

They should also be able to change the color or the carpet on the floors of the houses. Not everyone likes red carpet.

Yes! Please?
Polly
Hunter
Captain of Flocktarts

[Dec 22, 2006 6:50:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
imwamphyr

The following is a parody. I know you know where this thread is because you posted in it, so my tongue is firmly in cheek.

In all seriousness: The issue is the time needed to completely rewrite the current code. These features are, as has been stated, impossible with the current code. New threads about the exact same idea, with the only *new* information being an idea for how to implement it into the *world*, give no help in changing the code. They'll get around to it at some point, perhaps, if they ever complete the items that have a higher priority for them.

Rewriting code is not a minor problem that can be quickly fixed, I'd imagine, or it would have been done by now. Especially considering how many times we've seen Liz, Ceph or Arc make a "quick fix". Such as: the locked vessels icon on the "Where are my vessels", or the "Please add a chat history for each vessel I have boarded". These were apparently pretty simple fixes, and nearly as soon as a thread went up requesting them, the solution was on ICE being tested.

Obviously the rug/banner issue is much more complex, and multiple posts, or even multiple threads, isn't going to get them to get on it any faster. It certainly isn't a question of figuring out which in-game tool is needed to enable, like a paint brush. If a small idea such as this requires a similar investment of effort and time coding as a larger idea (such as Titan), it doesn't make sense to further delay the huge project in order to implement a minor one. Sadly, this means it may never hit it's prime on the priority list.

With that said, I'd certainly love a lot more customization. Short wall tiles, uneditable floor tiles, even replacing wall tiles would please me greatly (for those rooms you wish to paint but hate the pattern on the walls already). However, if it's going to take months of effort to create the code, followed by testing...I'm not sure I would. How long did it take to write the code we're currently using? I wasn't here in the days before chat circles, etc. Although I've seen the pictures =P

Welcome to Game Design. Please read the announcement thread for the rules .

There are many resources which may be helpful:

If you do revive an old thread, be sure to call attention to the age of the thread. Simply putting the word "Bump" at the start of your post will do.

Changing the color of rugs has been proposed before:
The List:Rugs or Editable floor tiles
Nemo was in favor of the idea. However the current floor tiles are not accessible. Nemo explains how he cheated by creating a 1 tile item, in order to make it appear you are walking over the rumble pit. If we use the current code to edit rug tiles, we would be unable to walk over them or place objects on them, unless we created some item which was impassible on them (as was suggested with bear skin rugs, the item being a 1 tile head). The only way to fix this, is to completely rewrite the code.

Changing the color of banners has been proposed before:
Commonly discussed ideas:Ships:Banners. We can currently replace the inside banners, but not the exterior (according to the wiki, I've never personally tested this-research in a 2nd thread shows that although all interior furniture banners can be removed, not all can be replaced, this due to the old problem of the wall tiles not being high enough). Nemo does state in that thread that "Aye, ship cloth color changing is intended."

Muroni,
Mocking for smartarsedness

Selling my Grunion Collection!
174 ships, 164 sloops, ALL GRUNIONS!
[Dec 22, 2006 11:42:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pirate Muroni [Link]  Go to top 
Squashbuckle

Bump.

I still want colored ship banners and bunks, especially with so many new colors to choose from! It would provide an end-user product for weaveries and possibly give people a reason to buy more big ships.

I know it's not a trivial thing to code (very little is), but I think it would be a worthwhile addition to the game. I just hope the idea isn't forgotten about now that most players have never even seen colored banners.
Polly
Hunter
Captain of Flocktarts

[Nov 8, 2008 1:07:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
eynstein

Nice idea.

But...

A) I don't see how scissors change colour.... would probably make it into a different shape.
B) Instead of being a fussy ducky, why don't we make it so that banners on the ship are a Jolly Roger (that's the skull and crossbones)? We are pirates after all......

Flippers =P
0<----Earth now
.<----Earth when i have done with it! mwahahahahahha!
[Nov 9, 2008 3:33:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates