• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 7
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2277 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
CaptNimbus

[Request] The Way Labor Hours Are Split Between Alts Reply to this Post

Hello,

My understanding is that an hourly cap is split between the number of characters you have. If you have 1, you get 24. If you have 2, each gets 12. If you have 3, each gets 8.

I'm joining a new crew after having my own but I want to keep my crew name in case I decide to pick up the Captain's hat again in the future. I made an alt and promoted him to Captain for that specific purpose. That alt is doing nothing but maintaining my crew name for me. Suddenly, the labor caps apply to me.

Under the current system, my main character, which is the only one I'm going to play with, now has 12 hours of labor only, even though my alt is not using any of his 12 hours of labor.

Would it be possible to just have all 24 hours available to all characters to draw from? That way leftover hours are given to characters who use them so idle alts don't cut a main character's labor in half or third.

I understand this is more complex than the current system. I also understand that this would end up with some characters having no hours to draw from in a day's work. Perhaps an alt with a job or jobs will work up to their cap, but an alt without any jobs won't take hours from the other character(s).

I see flaws with my proposed system already, the main one being that one character could forage away all the hours for all the characters. Foraging is a command so an alert that the next forage will cut into the total hours left would probably help, however, how could a job automatically just take the extra hours? It shouldn't. What if an alt had no jobs it had no reserve on hours but if you foraged with the alt then it would just eat up the hours up to the cap?

I just wish there was some way to not have an alt take hours they will never use. What if it only took unused hours away slowly? Like, let's say my main has reached 12 hours of labor. My alt has 12 unused hours because he has no job and doesn't forage. My main will take an hour from my alt (or from the labor pool, if you will) every hour until all the hours are used up. If I logged on as my alt during this time, he could forage but he'd be foraging from the remaining hours. This way, the alt could have a job or jobs and they'd share 12 labor hours between the 2 of them, but if the alt didn't have a job or forage, then the 12 hours would be given to the main.

Am I totally off my rocker? Is it too much trouble? Are there any better ideas with the same goal? Is this topic booched?

Thank you,
Nimbus - Former Captain of Gathering Storm

P.S.
I don't think that having this change go in just so I can keep my crew name indefinitely is reasonable. I think this change would benefit many, but I also realize that it is no small feat and if, in the end, this idea ends up being crappy, such is life. I'm not trying to imbalance the game or cause any possible exploits. It's just a question about an idea.
[Dec 22, 2003 7:54:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nykkel

Re: [Request] The Way Labor Hours Are Split Between Alts Reply to this Post

One of the reasons I don't have any permanent alts is because I don't want to 'share' the labor hours from my main character. I'd love to see something where one of your characters gets all of the labor unless the others expressly use it (by actively distilling or foraging, for example).

But I imagine there are plenty of other people who prefer things the way they are, so....
[Dec 22, 2003 8:01:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

I have two inactive alts, and of course I do have a job at the shoppe I help manage. When I forage I can forage a lot, and my job doesn't pick me much, so I don't know if I could get it to pay me more than 8x per day.

Maybe I should try :)

Dylan
[Dec 22, 2003 8:23:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

CaptNimbus wrote: 
Would it be possible to just have all 24 hours available to all characters to draw from? That way leftover hours are given to characters who use them so idle alts don't cut a main character's labor in half or third.

I would like this to be the case, but making it so is a big giant fiasco that we are unlikely to embark upon anytime soon. I suggest you make use of your alts for at least jobs and/or foraging.
[Dec 22, 2003 11:40:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
RebJabby

Aye, would it be possible to get find out how much labor ye have left to use that day? Would make it helpful to know which alt to use on a forage run.
[Dec 22, 2003 12:42:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Demeter
OceanMaster

RebJabby wrote: 
Aye, would it be possible to get find out how much labor ye have left to use that day? Would make it helpful to know which alt to use on a forage run.

Forage (and direct labor such as playing the distillery puzzle) uses advance labor from the next day's hours so this is not an issue - the day after you have foraged that alt will not be able to contribute labor if you have used up its hours.
----------------------------------------
"Demeter is sneeeaky." Trickykid

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Demeter at Dec 23, 2003 1:06:23 AM]
[Dec 23, 2003 1:06:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

Fair enough. Can we get an indication of how many "negative hours" a character is at? That would still help deterine which alt to use.
Re: Market on Scurvy Reef:
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
And it wasn't even 9 spaces from the arrow :-).
[Apr 27, 2004 8:29:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates