• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 67
Posts: 67   Pages: 3   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 22874 times and has 66 replies Next Thread
Uikur

Re: Puzzle Codename: Flounder Reply to this Post

Welcome back!!!!

In case you missed the announcement, puzzles don't have to be coded for Game Gardens any more. You can do it as a normal Java applet, or Flash, or whatever. Bia posted earlier in this thread that the prototype that you already have was close to enough, although IMO the slowness of the prototype makes it very difficult to judge the degree of fun.

Too late. It's Java now, baby! I can see most of the road ahead...

Of course, it's always the parts of the road you can't see that are the problems.

If you have a java version, where is it?
----------------------------------------
Just my thoughts.

Check out my proposal (Project Compere) here. Feedback and/or a coder is requested!

Irinam of Viridian.
[Jun 23, 2007 6:17:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

He doesn't have a finished Java version, but he does have a start on it. It's not uploaded yet.
LordKalvan of Otherwhen, all oceans but mostly Midnight
[Jun 23, 2007 6:50:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Uikur

i see thanks for the clear up

in 1337:

i 233 7h4nk2 f0r 7h3 c134r up
Just my thoughts.

Check out my proposal (Project Compere) here. Feedback and/or a coder is requested!

Irinam of Viridian.
[Jun 24, 2007 7:36:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cedricshock

Status Update Reply to this Post

Status Update

Programming

Accomplishments since the last status:

Game Logic: Lots here; It's all done
Streamable PRGN: Done
Swearing at Java because the above isn't actually a Streamable PRNG but instead is a streamable first class out from the PRNG due to a horrible language design: Done

I have made a distributed board update by interaction event that then advances each board in the same way at each observer (Server, Client, Watcher). This exploits a Streamable PRNG to advance the game "randomly" in each location identically without long processing by the manager and many update events (the fundamental reason the PHP/javascript prototype was slow).

Animation: Working on it. Not all my refresh animations play in the correct direction (thread is shown as leaving square instead of entering it). While the animations are playing the sprites don't seem to be rendered on the correct layer as set by setRenderOrder; all the animations are above all the sprites. The animations are slooow ~ 1 to 2 fps. I made my own sequencer to advance them exactly one frame per media system tick so that I could actually see them (setting fps would result in dropped frames); this will eventually be a "as fast as possible but not faster than" sequencer. I wonder why they're so slow... I do have an old-ish 800 MHz laptop with only 256 MB memory and no video accelerator, and am currently running over a dozen 75x75 pixel animations at once. I'll be running more when I throw the animation hooks into the cascading update. And twice as many unless I restrict threads to the class of things with all symmetries, which is not going to happen so the animation really needs to find a way to, err, happen quickly. This needs to be a possible thing to animate on a computer like mine.

To do:
Game scoring, a 1x1 continuity search for scoring (this is actually harder than the 2x2 prover)
Lobby setting retrieval, implementation
Scoring animations, score board, persistent scores, score histogram retrieval for game analysis

Artwork

Toss out almost everything I said before. It's all still true but I have a new way of making graphics.

I made blender machines to make lots of the things I need, such as twists and animations. The machines need textures to eat to make awesome graphics, so here's an event to solicit them. I also need a backgound, and possibly (simple) interaction between the pullstrings and the background. So here's an event to solicit artwork.

--Cedric
Sweetums

Cleaver wrote: Crashing Puzzle Pirates with your giant rack just isn't a good user experience for anyone.

[Jun 29, 2007 2:52:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
actreal

Re: Status Update Reply to this Post

As a newly volunteering tester, I would like to add my voice to those interested in seeing you finish a Flounder prototype that is not so slow it makes your brain melt. :)

The link to weaving for this game is stronger than most crafting puzzles (in game and candidate) and the game mechanic is simple and addictive.

The animated threads at decent speed will be cool too.

Have you given thought to the animation of cleared threads?

One idea I had (possibly for a final YPP version) would be a large knot appearing over the 2x2 clear and tightening, drawing the cleared threads into it so that the uncleared parts are drawn together.
Donall of Hunter

[Jul 4, 2007 3:58:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cedricshock

Re: Status Update Reply to this Post

Animation Frustration Update

Things are slow. I have half of all the thread pulling / pushing animations implemented (the other half should be easyish but will also slow my computer down even more). Everything happens in an acceptable time sequence (though the clears don't all clear at once). For some completely incomprehensible reason the new threads pushed into the loom happen every step for each thread, despite the code execution order being push every thread in one step, change starting sequence frame, push them all in one step again, ... There is just no possible way this can be happening with my code:

public void pushStrings()
{
// Push the strings in, then check knockouts again
int row = _numRows - 1;
boolean holes = true;
while (holes)
{
holes = false;
for (int col = 0; col < _numCols; col++)
{
if ((row + col) % 2 == 0) continue;
holes = holes || pushString(row,col,FlounderCodes.DIR_DOWN_LEFT, spool.next());
holes = holes || pushString(row,col,FlounderCodes.DIR_DOWN_RIGHT, spool.next());
}
// If the animation were done by listeners on the weaves, this would be the place to trigger it.
tick();
}

// Knockouts only calls pushstrings if there are holes, so there's no need to check before calling it back.
knockouts();
}

pushString tries to push a string in one step, and returns true if it managed to push the string in. The starting frame is advanced by tick() (yeah, I found out this totally is in opposition to hte meanings of tick in the ooo libraries. Here it means all the animations done before should be played simultaniously and before any new animations).

Actuall apparent calling orders are things like:
pushString 10, 1, right
tick
pushString 10,7, left
pushString 10,7, left
tick
pushString 10,7,left

There is absolutely no way this can be happening.
Sweetums

Cleaver wrote: Crashing Puzzle Pirates with your giant rack just isn't a good user experience for anyone.

[Jul 9, 2007 2:13:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Serinno

..........Flounder Weaving Puzzle.........
I think Ive seen this from somewhere else a long time ago. Directions seemed confusing at first, and didnt catch my attention and wouldnt call it exactly fun. Seemed more annoying really. It would be a challenge yes, more so as it got more advanced though, so i doubt greenies would stay quickly. Makes sense, yes.
Laike
O of Sharper Wit
(Malachite Ocean)

Lucipher
SO of Odin's Demise
(Hunter Ocean)

"Killed on Turn, Buried on River." -Lucipher
[Jul 19, 2007 8:41:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    laikeship@yahoo.com [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 67   Pages: 3   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates