• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 5
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3910 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
tcarr

Designers: if you aren't getting enough advice Reply to this Post

If you start feeling that your own proposal is being neglected:

1. is the last post in the thread about your project from you? if not, post there, replying in some way to the points raised by others

2. does your wiki proposal have at least some details about scoring?

3. does your wiki proposal have at least one storyboard, telling a story about somebody playing the game, and the decisions that person has to juggle (rough pictures made in Paint are wonderful here!)

4. have you tweaked the wiki version of your proposal since the last time you posted in your thread? if so, then bump the thread *saying* that the wiki has been updated and perhaps summarizing the changes you made

And finally, have you been giving feedback to (or at least reading) some of the other proposals? Reading other proposals, and the discussion threads about them, will give you ideas for how you can polish your own proposal to the point where it could be coded.
----------------------------------------
LordKalvan of Otherwhen, all oceans but mostly Midnight
[Sep 27, 2006 2:39:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jdnx429

Re: Designers: if you aren't getting enough advice Reply to this Post

I like #4 especially. I know there are a couple of proposals that have a basic wiki proposal but then a lot more information is contained in the thread about the game. The wiki proposal should be updated to reflect the new revisions to the game.
Josephdaniel on Midnight.
[Sep 27, 2006 3:35:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

*bump*

A lot of us have been busy lately, either with RL or our own projects. If you want to increase your chances of getting feedback and/or nominations, please reread the thread on your proposal, updating your wiki proposal if you have new ideas. Add a storyboard if you don't have one yet, and some kind of tentative scoring. Then bump your thread saying you have updated your wiki proposal.

I don't always find anything worthwhile to say about a proposal myself, but I do promise to at least read the revised wiki proposals and try to think of something useful to say.
LordKalvan of Otherwhen, all oceans but mostly Midnight
[Oct 24, 2006 5:45:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

*bump*

I will add my thoughts as a designer.

• Study your proposal from many angles. Try to foresee as many problems as you can.
  • Develop a strong working knowledge of various aspects. Have a reason for all that is included so you can justify it or adapt it when someone makes a suggestion. Proposals with too many grey areas don't become prototypes.
  • Do what you can to test mechanics before it becomes a prototype (so if random pieces are called for, toss some in a hat and draw them to get a better idea of problems that might arise.)
  • Don't be afraid to ask how difficult an aspect might be from a coding standpoint, be prepared to change.
  • Be actively involved in the discussion thread, even if it means double / triple posting. People are reading the threads and are more likely to get involved when they see that you are "thinking out loud" and working things out.
  • Remember coders are limited and they can get stretched quite thin, so try to do as much of the grunt work (the discussion thread, maintaining the wiki, as well as ironing out details) as you can.
  • Read Bia's game design blog entries about analogies and mechanics .
    Pletoo of Sage
    [Edit 2 times, last edit by Patetch at Mar 14, 2008 7:47:14 PM]
  • [Mar 14, 2008 6:29:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Estam

Well, I just thought I'd endorse this...

• Read Bia's game design blog entries about analogies and mechanics .

• Very much helpful... Thanks... I think I'll add it to the wiki and disc thread...
    <-- My avatar no longer reads: Everyone Wants to be a Pirate Even Avatarless Forumer

...soli Deo gloria...
    [Mar 17, 2008 9:41:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    [Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates