• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 13
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1625 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
akerasi

Imperials not so... Imperial Reply to this Post

I want to see ranks above Imperial, or at least see the ratings tweaked a bit. Why? I'm tired of seeing nothing but Imperials on almost any pillage on any ocean!

Imperial as a brigand rating pretty much means anywhere from "okay, they don't COMEPLETELY suck" to "What kind of chainswas did they give these brigands and where can I get one?". In other words, the whole brigand-ratings seem kinda... meaningless to me. How many crews are PVP-ranked Imperials? Not many. Yet, with Brigands, every brigand I see claims to be Imperial... from bots I see on the bnav mission (I do it sometimes out of boredom) all the way to the biggest chainsaw brigands.

Now, I don't really think a new ranking is needed... just an alteration of the current ranking system. Perhaps the highest few tiers should be Imperials, with the middle 50% of curent Imperials becoming Sea Lords, the lower 25% and some of the Sea Lords going to Dread Pirates, and on down the line. This would help a lot in gauging enemy ship strength, and add greatly to my fun in the game.
----------------------------------------
Akerasi, Captain of the PFRC, Sage Ocean
Seido, Mercenary for hire, Sage Ocean
Citizen of Arakoua Island and the keeper of Arakoua's Destiny
[Sep 23, 2006 12:27:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rick9109

Re: Imperials not so... Imperial Reply to this Post

You know, I was thinking this same thing last night, but I couldn't figure out how to explain my point. Good job, I totally agree with you. Imperials are way too common and not the same difficulty-so why not reorganize them a bit?
Rome
Pirates of the Damned, Crimson Tide.
I don't care what it did to them, the game's been good to me.
[Sep 23, 2006 12:41:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rick9109    cactusrome [Link]  Go to top 
Tiberyus

Ditto

'Imperial' involves more brigand ships than all other rated ships together...
Tiberyus, in a crew on an ocean

people are harsh on ypp

[Sep 23, 2006 5:43:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fabled240

You know, I was thinking this same thing last night, but I couldn't figure out how to explain my point. Good job, I totally agree with you. Imperials are way too common and not the same difficulty-so why not reorganize them a bit?

But aren't they so common because you and the other mates pillaging have the stats to provoke them to spawn?

-Hunter,
How exactly would this work out, if the Spawns are coming from your pillaging stats and battle wins and loses?
King of VVV on the Hunter Ocean.
Hypnos tells you, "It's Hunter of Hunter! Yay! :D"
Lotsofgoats wrote: 
YOUR FACE IS A BUTT

Lotsofgoats tells you, "I don't really think your face is a butt <3"
[Sep 23, 2006 6:12:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Flamez911

I think that it should be

Targets
Mostly Harmless (that sooooo sounds lower than sailors)
Sailors
Hopeful Pirates
Scurvy Dogs
Scoundrels
Fearsome
Dread Pirates
Sea Lords
Imperials
Imperials^2
Imperials^3

and so on...

However, players would not easily reach Imperials at all.
-Flamer, reloaded.

Currently in the process of arising from the grave. Hope to see people around more :)
[Sep 23, 2006 7:52:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
culturex

Although I agree with this idea 100% the logic needs to be tweaked a bit. It is kind of like Incredible being 1% of the best duty reports... But I'm shocked if I ever see something below incredible for myself.

I'd prefer if the rating system of ships was more like the combo names in rumble. They made so many labels that go so high one would find it difficult to reach the end of the list. Of course, once you do that, one forgets which is higher? Bammo or Tweak?
Culture, Kaptain of Wicked, Hunter Ocean
Improving Pirates Everywhere
[Sep 23, 2006 8:34:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

Since I started bnavving again I've been wondering why it's so different than I remember it being. Whenever I have a full sloop I almost always face Imperial Cutters. If I have 3 greenies on board maybe I'll spawn Seal Lords once in a while.

I remember when I used to avoid Sea Lords ands Imperial, now they are all I see. I agree, Imperials just don't seem so imperial anymore.

<derail>Oh and on a side rant, why is it so impossible to spawn brigands in the same ship class as you now? I used to like pillaging on cutters. The last time I did it, a couple weeks ago, without it even full we spawned almost all brigs. What's so wrong with putting 10 bots on a cutter instead of a merchant brig?</derail>
Cire
Purple Squid Brigade, Inglorious Fandango

Nemo says, "Cire has figured me out..."

[Sep 23, 2006 8:52:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DreadedChris

There is probably some kind of scaling involved with brigand ratings and when they are spawned, however it's pretty clear to me that Imperials are not the top 1% of all brigands, like other scalings are (or near it. There's some squirrelly calculations in those Ultimate lists.)

Maybe the top 20% of brigand difficulty, I don't know, but they definitely need to be broken down further. Maybe break them into Imperials, Grand Imperials, and Chainsaw Nightmare Brigands o' Doom where they make 50%/40%/10% of what are currently considered imperials.
~< The Dread Pirate Chris >~
[Sep 23, 2006 9:24:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Flamez911

Since I started bnavving again I've been wondering why it's so different than I remember it being. Whenever I have a full sloop I almost always face Imperial Cutters. If I have 3 greenies on board maybe I'll spawn Seal Lords once in a while.

I remember when I used to avoid Sea Lords ands Imperial, now they are all I see. I agree, Imperials just don't seem so imperial anymore.

<derail>Oh and on a side rant, why is it so impossible to spawn brigands in the same ship class as you now? I used to like pillaging on cutters. The last time I did it, a couple weeks ago, without it even full we spawned almost all brigs. What's so wrong with putting 10 bots on a cutter instead of a merchant brig?</derail>

LMAO.

Siggied.
-Flamer, reloaded.

Currently in the process of arising from the grave. Hope to see people around more :)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Flamez911 at Sep 23, 2006 2:18:08 PM]
[Sep 23, 2006 2:17:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
redfly

yarr i agree wholeheartedly - although I get the feeling that maybe imperials are different difficulties on different routes, rather than imperials on any given route embodying a wide difficulty range.

I haven't really thought aobut the routes I pillage enough to be sure of this but it sounds like a likely mechanic.
Redfly
Puzzler ahoy, cap'n!
[Sep 23, 2006 4:27:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rick9109

But aren't they so common because you and the other mates pillaging have the stats to provoke them to spawn?

-Hunter,
How exactly would this work out, if the Spawns are coming from your pillaging stats and battle wins and loses?

Actually you have a good point. That probably does have a lot to do with it.
Rome
Pirates of the Damned, Crimson Tide.
I don't care what it did to them, the game's been good to me.
[Sep 23, 2006 6:03:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rick9109    cactusrome [Link]  Go to top 
thefirstdude

I also agree wholeheartedly. I am not at all against the ship-out-size-classing thing, it just adds an extra bit of challenge to it (because their token generations are booched to more or less keep up with you at no damage).
Beartooth

Gothmog wrote: 
Listen to Faulkston. [They're] right, you're wrong.

[Sep 23, 2006 6:06:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jabroni

Agree with the earlier sentiment. I can remember way back in the day thinking OMG, Imperials, we're hosed. Now, it is like, eh, will the payout be good or bad afterwards? Imp barbarians still bring a shuder in big boats but otherwise, pretty much a shrug at best.

The other small gripe although mainly limited to startup on an ocean was the fact that Imperials represent the hardest bot spawning, not necessarily consistent difficulty. The first week on Hunter I fought multiple orange/red Imp cutters winning handily that would have been big trouble on Midnight/Ruby.

Sort of bringing a few GD concepts together with this, what if there was a Grand Imperial class that spawned only on red (or orange possibly) routes that was immune to LSM?
Littlebus, Captain of Club Dread [Midnight]
Jabrone [Hunter]
[Sep 23, 2006 9:48:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates