• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 11
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2107 times and has 10 replies Next Thread
svarog

Fun with slash. Reply to this Post

There's a lot of ways one could misread that title. And i hope we find someone who can rapture in all of them. But i'm talking about the /commands and need to thank CursedBurger for his emote poll for reminding me of my troubles.

[size=9]This also appears in tips and tricks because i think it best fits, feel free to move it if it doesn't.

So if anyone's noticed anything unusual about the /commands please feel free to post them. And a triple apology if i did any ooching here, with or without a leading b.

First complaint / question: Is there an escape character for the slashes. I haven't found a proper way to lead a sentence with a / or a few times in the middle of sentences for some reason. Any hints would be helpful. No, it's not backbreakingly important . . just something i'm curious of and would like to take advantage of.

Obervation / question: Nested slashing . . It's out there . . and boy is it fun. Do people know of this? Do people want to? Is it a bug? Or an intended feature? And if so . . . wait more questions in a bit . . i should explain this first.

So you know how you have multiple chat channels. . and how you can pull them down from the drop menu. And how you can use /crew to talk in the crew one without using the drop down or /say to talk in the general one, etc. Well you can also use /shout while in the crew channel to make your crew chat bold and shouty. And you can do this through the drop down and /shouting in the crew channel or by nesting your /commands (i.e. /crew /shout Get your bloody hands on deck, mates! would boldcaps Get your bloody hands on deck, mates! in the crew channel).

I could easily be mistaken (the american turkey feast had me off the servers for a few days) but i'm sure i've done the same with emoting. . and emoting shouting . . and etc.

Only i noticed that once i try to nest more than one command in another it breaks (i.e. /crew /shout /emote is a jerk broke but i can't remember how (if i do i'll edit).

So are there any rules to nesting that anyone knows about? Is it a bug or a feature? etc?
[Dec 1, 2003 1:17:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ultracity

Re: Fun with slash. Reply to this Post

svarog wrote: 
There's a lot of ways one could misread that title.

Especially for the Kiwis out there.
----------------------------------------
~Mansfellow
[Dec 1, 2003 5:00:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

The way I see it, there's a 'command' and a 'modifier'. Any spoken text can have, at most, 1 command and 1 modifier.

Commands:
/speak, /vessel, /crew, /jcrew

Modifiers:
/emote, /me, /shout, /think

So you can't /think /shout, but you can /jcrew /think. You can't /em /shout, but you can /vessel /em.

atteSmythe,
who probably missed something in there

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Dec 1, 2003 5:08:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
AF1983

atteSmythe wrote: 

So you can't /think /shout, but you can /jcrew /think.

I wish I could /think /shout. My thoughts get aweful loud sometimes.

Anyway, what I'm wondering is if there is any way to alter the tell interface to allow nested commands. Too many times after sending a tell to a flaggie asking them to job me aboard, I get a tell back saying /job Pete, which doesn't quite have the same effect. It's difficulty involved in the pull-down menus, since I doubt anyone's actually typing out /tell pirate /job pirate. It seems to me that the difference is that /tell needs a target before you can add another command, (/tell pirate /command) where as all the other channels are a direct string of commands (/crew /command). Basically, I'm wondering if there was a way to fix this, though it seems like it would be cumbersome to do. (I never use the pull-down menus, but if I did, I'd probably be /tell'ing people various commands constantly.)

-Pete
Pete
Senior Officer of Managed Mischief
[Dec 1, 2003 5:20:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

I do want //, so that I can start off my sentence with a slash.
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Dec 1, 2003 10:39:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Crystallina

You can't /shout /me, though.
Rapmasta26, in a surprisingly accurate assessment of many posters' attitude towards things:

PLEASE PEOPLE, IF YOU DONT AGREE DONT REPLY!!!!!!!!!!!

[Dec 1, 2003 10:53:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    YPP+Crystallina [Link]  Go to top 
Demeter
OceanMaster

AF1983 wrote: 
Too many times after sending a tell to a flaggie asking them to job me aboard, I get a tell back saying /job Pete, which doesn't quite have the same effect. It's difficulty involved in the pull-down menus, since I doubt anyone's actually typing out /tell pirate /job pirate. -Pete

This is due to using the up arrow to respond and then typing the /job part, it doesn't work using the drop-down menu.
"Demeter is sneeeaky." Trickykid

[Dec 1, 2003 10:59:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
svarog

54x wrote: 

A bit earlier svarog wrote: 
Is there an escape character for the slashes. I haven't found a proper way to lead a sentence with a / . . .

Thanks for coming down. Thanks for playing. Your consolation prize is a new bottle of 'please read my post'.

And i think what atteSmythe said holds some merit, and i may have to check that out tonight. But i also think i've had a modifiers modifying modifiers.

.svarog
who wishes he stole atteSmythe's schtick long ago.
[Dec 2, 2003 6:32:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Claudia

svarog wrote: 
54x wrote: 

A bit earlier svarog wrote: 
Is there an escape character for the slashes. I haven't found a proper way to lead a sentence with a / . . .

Thanks for coming down. Thanks for playing. Your consolation prize is a new bottle of 'please read my post'.

I'm reasonably sure he was doing what's called "agreeing" with you.
Utena of Revolutionary Crew Utena
[Dec 2, 2003 6:37:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tabbifli

While we're at the wishing game, I'd really like /tell <name> /me <foo>.

(searching for '/me AND /tell' turns up 27 pages of entries. Unless someone knows off the top of their head where the post explaining that this can't be done is, I'll figure out how to refine the search a bit more)
Oro

All But Malice : Forum Space for Independant Crews, Small Flags and Alliances.
[Dec 2, 2003 7:02:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.allbutmalice.org    tabbifli    melissatabbifli [Link]  Go to top 
54x

I'm reasonably sure he was doing what's called "agreeing" with you.

I don't think people are quite used to it yet, seeing we do so much DISagreeing around here, too :)
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Dec 2, 2003 7:05:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates