• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 21
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2000 times and has 20 replies Next Thread
USCfan

Increase Brigand Payout??? Reply to this Post

I think Brigand payout should be increased. I mean compared to the other ways of making poe its kinda lakin we willl go over the ways...

SF or Rumble tourney you may win 5 K plus special prizes it takes about an our and the only people is see win the tourneys are unltimates and legendarys.

Poker... omg winning 30K on 1 hand then losing 15k on the next... to me it seems sac-piratey i mean gall if ya have that much money go by some ships or new clothes.

Pillie- ok high end pillies bring in lets say 15K an hour but for me i find if i job for 2 hours or so on a war frig i only get like 2K.

So can we increase the payout of brigands?
i mean for us pirates who are ok at everything shouldn't we be able to make at least like 3k an hour.
----------------------------------------
HIIIIII
[Sep 22, 2006 7:42:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Maquereau

Reality check Reply to this Post

You cannot use poker as a comparison because for every pirate making thousands an hour, there is someone losing an equal amount. Brigand payouts are a PoE fountain. If you increase payouts, you only end up increasing payouts for the high level pillagers as well.

There is a reason that Ultimates and Legendaries usually win the tournaments. It's the exact reason that they are ranked Ult and Leg in the first place.
[Sep 22, 2006 8:04:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Crotty

Re: Reality check Reply to this Post

The attractiveness of the activity of pillaging needs to be increased, not necessarily the payouts. Payouts might be a small piece to that puzzle.
[Sep 22, 2006 8:24:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
drc500free

Increasing pillage payouts increases poker winnings. I like.
-Darvid
sundancer wrote: 
will you please explain to me one more time why it would not be acceptable to blockade us?
Squid wrote: 
Because I shouldn't have to go through all that effort.

[Sep 22, 2006 8:32:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fernie462

Re: Increase Brigand Payout??? Reply to this Post

i mean for us pirates who are ok at everything shouldn't we be able to make at least like 3k an hour.

Sorry, but no, that's the point of "high end" pillages, if you want more PoE you have to work for it, and if you think you "deserve" 3k an hour for getting fines and an occasional good on your duty reports, then those getting excellents and increds for two hours straight deserve what? 50k an hour?

The best answer to your post title though: YOU can increase your brigand payout by increasing your stats and your over-all performance in the puzzles.
[Sep 22, 2006 8:37:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
brazzy

You cannot use poker as a comparison because for every pirate making thousands an hour, there is someone losing an equal amount.

Exactly. Which means that if you increase pillage payouts, average poker wagers will increase proportionally. Nothing will have changed. The same is true for nearly everything else as well (with the exception ofbasic commodity prices due to dynamic spawn). The only way to make other things less financially rewarding compared to pillaging is to change people's willingness to lose at poker or SF in 5 minutes what took them 1 hour to earn on a pillage.
--
http://www.brazzy.de
[Sep 22, 2006 8:37:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.brazzy.de/ [Link]  Go to top 
Chavez67

Having run some greenie pillages recently, I agree with the top poster.

The biggest problem with the social strata of the game, is that the players who know everything are punished for playing with the players that don't know everything, by poor payouts.

I'm not saying give the greenies krakens blood, but a captain who takes a boat of greenies out and wins 80% should make more than 200 poe per hour. Either that or the low end captains need activities that pay, like commod foraging missions or something. Right now there's nearly zero incentive for someone who's good at the game to ever come near a greenie.

I did it.
clarify
It was me.

[Sep 22, 2006 9:29:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

I've found that a close-knit, skilled crew that likes to pillage together, putting 5 people on a sloop, and hiring 2 greenies off the board can both keep payouts high enough by their standings and efforts, -and- help train those 2 greenies much more effectively and efficiently than one ace navver on a brig full of 25 greenies ever could.
[Sep 22, 2006 9:43:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

I've found that a close-knit, skilled crew that likes to pillage together, putting 5 people on a sloop, and hiring 2 greenies off the board can both keep payouts high enough by their standings and efforts, -and- help train those 2 greenies much more effectively and efficiently than one ace navver on a brig full of 25 greenies ever could.
Likewise, one ace navver plus 15-20 ace puzzlers and top it off with greenies runs a brig perfectly well. (You only really need 15-20 people to keep a brig floating.)
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Sep 22, 2006 10:30:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mcpirate1978

Step 1: Improve your own puzzling skill until you're at least Grand-Master in a duty puzzle.

Step 2: Do some networking to get in on an "elite" pillage and work hard at the duty puzzle(s) you're good at.

Step 3: Earn more PoE on your pillages.

The capability is already there for you to make more PoE pillaging. The question is, are you willing to work a little to get it, or do you think you should just get it for free?
Fullbeard
[Sep 22, 2006 10:43:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chavez67

25 greenies on a war brig is essentially begging for death. The best way I've found to run greenie pillages is with merch brigs, because two top shelf pirates can keep it afloat - one gunning one sailing, and someone doing the nav while puzzling - and you even have a gun spot free for a whining greenie.

...but your payouts are so low it's pointless.

Then there's going with a war brig with 12 experienced mates aboard, mostly on sails, one carper one bilger one gunner. Fill the rest with greenies. Their sucktastic puzzling doesn't impact you if you don't get shot. You can go for a good string of wins that way too.

Then there's a sloop with 2, 3, or 4 rockstars, add an able greenie or three. Very easy to run that boat.

Look, guys:

There's a payout range keyed to skill. It goes from about 50 poe per pirate to around 3000 poe per pirate, and your spawn difficulty puts you in that range, and your puzzle stats determine your spawn. I don't see any problem whatsoever in adjusting that range, so instead of 50-3000, it goes from 200-3000.

Do you?

Worst that can happen is that more pirates have liquid cash, which means they can buy more stuff, which means OOO makes more real money on micropayments.

I did it.
clarify
It was me.

[Sep 22, 2006 11:28:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

These days, people run greenie pillages for charity to the community (or for recruitment and/or shanghais, I suppose). Which is nice, but past lessons show that eventually charity loses out to cold self-interest.

Without returning to Whitefire-pillage levels, it would be nice if people were rewarded a little better for showing the greenies a good time. (And if the greenies, likewise, got a little more for their trouble ... even if half of them will proceed to lose it all at the poker tables.)
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Sep 22, 2006 12:13:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
USCfan

Sorry, but no, that's the point of "high end" pillages, if you want more PoE you have to work for it, and if you think you "deserve" 3k an hour for getting fines and an occasional good on your duty reports, then those getting excellents and increds for two hours straight deserve what? 50k an hour?

The best answer to your post title though: YOU can increase your brigand payout by increasing your stats and your over-all performance in the puzzles.

I don't get fines most of the time and an occasional good. I usally average good with exellents and the occasional incred. Im not a greenie but what im saying is i usually only run sloop pillie so lets say i attack a cutter and i have 7 people on board. My payout is usually only 2k with seven people thats about 225 poe. that means i have to attack assuming everyone stays and no one get -1 i have to attack 15 cutters to get 3K. So i mean i can make ALOT more poe if i get a lucky hand playing 2k poker...
HIIIIII
[Sep 22, 2006 1:12:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dewdlebug

Ocean? Route?

Maybe you shoudl get off those blue/green routes and try something harder.
You know what they say about having sex with asians? You scupper them and you'll be horny again after an hour...
[Sep 22, 2006 1:15:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
drc500free

What's your ramp like? How many people are staying alive each battle? What kind of brigands are they (e.g. Mostly Harmless, Sailors, Sea Lords)? Are you losing any battles?
-Darvid
sundancer wrote: 
will you please explain to me one more time why it would not be acceptable to blockade us?
Squid wrote: 
Because I shouldn't have to go through all that effort.

[Sep 22, 2006 1:16:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ALF71BE

When ye just start. ye should try to look at wich puzzles ye are good. Maybe pillage isn't for ye, cuz no high end pillages got 15k an hour (they got that every 10 minutes). The point is to get better at yer stats to go or make elite pillages, don't expect to be highly payed for not so great duty reports and bad bnavers. The really good pillages, at wich the rich ppl get their POE, end for about 20-30k per person for about 2 hours of pillage
Thomas Aquinas, on playing Y!PP:

"All that I have played seems like straw to me."

[Edit 1 times, last edit by ALF71BE at Sep 22, 2006 1:56:32 PM]
[Sep 22, 2006 1:54:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

I think Brigand payout should be increased.

I don't.
Cerulean & Meridian - Icemeister
Emerald & Obsidian - incognito!
#TeamPurple
[Sep 22, 2006 2:31:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rick9109

Everyone walked away with 2k a piece on a greenie pillage yesterday, with 1.2k just Turtle > Alpha. I even lost my first battle.

2k is a fair amount I figure.
Rome
Pirates of the Damned, Crimson Tide.
I don't care what it did to them, the game's been good to me.
[Sep 22, 2006 2:38:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rick9109    cactusrome [Link]  Go to top 
DreadedChris

Everyone walked away with 2k a piece on a greenie pillage yesterday, with 1.2k just Turtle > Alpha. I even lost my first battle.

That may be, but it is still more than possible to go on a pillage with a lot of greenies, win every battle, and lose significant cash on the restocking. And when i say 'greenies', I mean those with green names. Those with green names appear to be treated differently by the system than an all-able yellow name with little experience. The unramped payouts are terrible, and a little bit of jobber turnover will stop the ramp from happening...

I hear that I could pay for restock if I didn't bother shooting the brigands, but my experience with greenies has been that if the battle isn't max 0, they will lose every time. Yah, yah, I know, I should get faster at insta'ing the brigands and take them all myself. It's easier, more fun, and pays better just not to hire greenies. Bots are more effective than green name anyway.

So anyway, it would be good if the booty payout formula was changed to not make greenie pillages such a mess. However, the level that the OP was complaining about isn't actually a problem, IMO. Moderately successful 'low-level' pillages of distinguished-respected-master mates pay enough for everyone to make more than they would in the navy, and for the navver to cover restock on an undefeated pillage at a 25% restock. That's do-able.

Pure greenie pillages can only break even if you can get them to stay long enough for the payouts to ramp. Which they usually won't do, since they generally decide to leave at some random time in the middle of a battle. Those that don't, that actually stay and work their station the whole pillage, are probably worth heartying for future jobbing. Or recruiting. Those ones won't be green much longer!
~< The Dread Pirate Chris >~
[Sep 22, 2006 4:05:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

How about the long requested "Stop penalizing a ship for having a greenie on board"?

Last I heard, the best estimate of what was happening was that a greenie counted as a slightly negative strength, causing enemy bots to spawn much weaker, and yeilding lower payouts.

How about giving the OiC a choice: Treat greenies as normal / Treat greenies as beginners, for the purpose of spawning?

( 6 yellows, at 1500 each: 9000 total strength, 1500 per-bot, decent payout.
5 yellows at 1500, and one greenie at -500: 7000 total, 1167 per-bot, bleepy payout.)
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Sep 22, 2006 4:49:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
Rick9109

That may be, but it is still more than possible to go on a pillage with a lot of greenies, win every battle, and lose significant cash on the restocking. And when i say 'greenies', I mean those with green names. Those with green names appear to be treated differently by the system than an all-able yellow name with little experience. The unramped payouts are terrible, and a little bit of jobber turnover will stop the ramp from happening...

I've never lost money on a pillage where I won every battle, even with greenies.
Rome
Pirates of the Damned, Crimson Tide.
I don't care what it did to them, the game's been good to me.
[Sep 22, 2006 8:00:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rick9109    cactusrome [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates