• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 103
Posts: 103   Pages: 4   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 28976 times and has 102 replies Next Thread
Ivan256

Re: Ship Sizes -again- Reply to this Post

Telastyn wrote: 
Good luck finding one.

Ye got to have sources! (And having a flag owned shipyard and weavery helps)

As alanafiona pointed out though, it's not the same anymore. The deck on the Galleon used to be so wonderfully cluttered and busy, now it's dreadfully clean. No character left at all. I knew I shouldn't have parked it up in Ruby all unattended like that for so long.

/me cries, Nemo, I want me deck clutter back!
----------------------------------------
Baldwin - Senior Officer, Six Leagues Under - Midnight ocean

Formerly: Baldwin - Captain of the Blood Brothers, King of Ruby Phoenix.
[Apr 22, 2004 3:33:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
alanafiona

Shuranthae wrote: 
Actually I saw your post, I just wasn't sure if you were right or wrong, as a lot of people in here happen to be wrong. Nothing personal, 14 it is! =)

Don't worry, I wasn't offended ;)

Ivan256 wrote: 
Telastyn wrote: 
Good luck finding one.

Ye got to have sources! (And having a flag owned shipyard and weavery helps)

As alanafiona pointed out though, it's not the same anymore. The deck on the Galleon used to be so wonderfully cluttered and busy, now it's dreadfully clean. No character left at all. I knew I shouldn't have parked it up in Ruby all unattended like that for so long.

It was funny, I was on the galleon just before and after the ship update, and was sincerely confused for a moment because I could tell something had changed but.... They'd cleverly exchanged the carp stations with chests, so I didn't note the lack of something at first. Then when I realized what had happened, I *had* to wander around and figure it all out because it was so.... different.

Felt a lot like Trading Spaces ;)
Alanafiona, distracted Captain of the Crimson Tyrants
Queen of the Sailors of Fortune
Why, yes, we are a bit strange - after all, we're lego pirates!
[Apr 22, 2004 4:23:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Ivan256 wrote: 

Bluebeard and I wage a continual war between clutter and open spaces. We're both right, but I tend to find his scenes a bit bleak and he finds mine unmanageable. I made the Galleon to begin with, and Bluebeard came and cleaned it up in that release. Neatnik.
[Apr 22, 2004 6:32:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

Shuranthae wrote: 
I'll give everyone a hint though: the max damage is consistent and works out mathematically for all ships and cannon sizes if worked out correctly (I'd wager one could even figure out how many shots of varying cannon sizes would be required for when multi ship, nonblockade, battles are in). And all ships take damage differently.

Ok, please explain, other than max damage = 50% (6 lines) of the swordfight screen (36 total blocks), the rest of what you said or implied is very ... "Crystal-clear" (look at the clarity of natural crystals sometime.)

More details, please. Pretty please.
Re: Market on Scurvy Reef:
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
And it wasn't even 9 spaces from the arrow :-).
[Apr 22, 2004 7:15:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

LongJohnGrey wrote: 
Shuranthae wrote: 
I'll give everyone a hint though: the max damage is consistent and works out mathematically for all ships and cannon sizes if worked out correctly (I'd wager one could even figure out how many shots of varying cannon sizes would be required for when multi ship, nonblockade, battles are in). And all ships take damage differently.

Ok, please explain, other than max damage = 50% (6 lines) of the swordfight screen (36 total blocks), the rest of what you said or implied is very ... "Crystal-clear" (look at the clarity of natural crystals sometime.)

More details, please. Pretty please.

Heh. The max damage being consistent means it always takes the same number of shots to max a ship with a given cannonball size. I find it interesting the way the numbers work out throughout the different ships and cannon balls, I mean if they never tweaked the damage formulas since implementation it would seem they've planned on the larger balls (and already knew their exact damage) since the beginning, which also makes me wonder why the larger balls were so long in coming. Experiment and you'll see what I mean, there are patterns. Half the fun is finding things out for yerself. *winks*
[Apr 22, 2004 7:28:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

Does that mean that since 6 small balls will max a sloop, that 6 small balls will max a galleon? I must be misunderstanding something. A hint, please, or I'll just have to find people willing to try every possible combination of balls and strikes to see what does what.

Long John Grey
Putting some more OH- on that baseball.
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
[Apr 22, 2004 7:44:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Leeksoup

54x wrote: 

(22 guns i believe?)

More likely 24, seeing all ships have guns to a multiple of four able to be loaded. I'm not sure how many stations it would have, though...

Not true, a cutter only has 6 guns.
-Scylira, mostly retired
ponytailguy wrote: 
Yarr, me harties, let me go grab my knitting needles!

Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x].
[Apr 22, 2004 12:30:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PatFace

cutter artwork shows 6 but it does indeed have 8 guns
Look for Theface in game.
[Apr 22, 2004 1:59:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CrazyMorg

the ships dont have the same # of guns as they do shots...

so a cutter only has 6 guns, but it fires 8 shots
[Apr 22, 2004 2:22:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheT

LongJohnGrey wrote: 
Does that mean that since 6 small balls will max a sloop, that 6 small balls will max a galleon? I must be misunderstanding something. A hint, please, or I'll just have to find people willing to try every possible combination of balls and strikes to see what does what.

Long John Grey
Putting some more OH- on that baseball.

no... i think he means that it will *always* take 6 small cbs to max a sloop, and however many to max a cutter, however many more to max a war brig etc.

as to Shur's "hint" perhaps he'd like to elaborate whether they jsut add two each time, or add 50% of the previous addition or... .
Sokar
Knights of the Republic
[Apr 22, 2004 2:53:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Bluebeard and I wage a continual war between clutter and open spaces. We're both right, but I tend to find his scenes a bit bleak and he finds mine unmanageable. I made the Galleon to begin with, and Bluebeard came and cleaned it up in that release. Neatnik.

Simple: Clutter goes in the big open areas ;) No need to clear that up. The only clutter that's ever annoyed me is people standing in the thin bits of a war brig sailing who stop me from scrolling. I have to move to a non-scroll place, bring up info, then move again, which lags me horribly :(
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Apr 22, 2004 6:38:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Clementyne

Ivan256 wrote: 

C
P S a G
i a r B u S
r i p i n h
a l e l n o
t i n g e t
e n t e r s
s g r y
Type y Volume Weight
----------|---|---|---|---|---|-----|--------|--------|
Cutter |12 | 5 | 3 | 3 | 6 | 8 S | 40500 | 27000 |
-------------------------------------------------------

Hey! My new cutter's defective...only 2 bilge stations. :(
Clementyne - Cultist
Clementine - Arctic Blade
[Jun 25, 2004 5:37:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
silverkitty

quoted from Ivan 256:

C
P S a G
i a r B u S
r i p i n h
a l e l n o Hits to
t i n g e t Maximum
e n t e r s Cargo Capacity Damage Ram
s g r y
Type y Volume Weight S M L
----------|---|--|--|--|--|---|------|------|--|--|--|-----|
Sloop | 7| 3| 2| 2| 4| 4S| 20250| 13500| 6| | |1/2 S|
Cutter | 12| 5| 3| 2| 6| 8S| 40500| 27000| | | | |
M. Brig | 20| 6| 9| 6|10|12M|135000| 90000| | | | |
War Brig | 30| 9| 6| 4|16|16M| 81000| 54000| |8?| | |
M.Galleon | 45| 9|14|14|10|12L|270000|405000| | | | |
W.Frigate | 75|18|18|12|24|24L|216000|324000| | | | |
G.Frigate |150|30|24|24|16|24L|540000|810000| | | | |
------------------------------------------------------------

expanding the chart like this and finding the right values for the relevant columns would make it like the ultimate ship list, imho :)
[size=9]Avatar by Peter Pan
[Sep 7, 2004 1:35:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jacktheblack

2 large CBs will max a sloop.
[Sep 7, 2004 7:26:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacktheblackypp    samergamer [Link]  Go to top 
shagie

In Turtle III, I was in a cutter that ate 8 medium cannonballs and was just a pixel away from sinking. I believe that was Shur naving the brig that gave me the dose of iron.

The question is "what is max damage?" -- full damage for sword fighting? Or enough damage that when not repaired sinks you? Are they the same?
[Sep 8, 2004 4:58:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ivazquez

Full damage for swordfighting, and they are different.
Indeed wrote: 
You people are like hare krishnas. What do i have to do , beat you over the head?

[Sep 8, 2004 5:01:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Oorlian

Jacktheblack wrote: 

I believe it's 3.
I make my way across the sea, upon a mighty brig,
Searching for something lost to me: a pirate-worthy sig.
[Sep 8, 2004 5:06:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.kevan.org/brain.cgi?Oorlian    Oorlian [Link]  Go to top 
jarkaruus

Oorlian wrote: 
Jacktheblack wrote: 

I believe it's 3.

Unless its changed its 2 I got popped with two by a grandfrig about 2 months ago and it was definatley maxed. hooray for taking an extended break from navving and booching a turn the wrong direction into a GF guns hehehe.
dib on the cerulean ocean.

Ready made and custom chain maille jewelry and accessories.
http://pezzyrings.com
NEW chain maille Octopuses! http://pezzyrings.com/octo
[Sep 8, 2004 5:33:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    fabel23 [Link]  Go to top 
Oorlian

hmmm, I could be wrong. Lately I've been driving my WF around diamond shooting poor brigands...and I usually put 2 in a sloop, and it sure doesn't look maxed to me.

I'll test it tonite.
[Sep 8, 2004 5:59:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.kevan.org/brain.cgi?Oorlian    Oorlian [Link]  Go to top 
54x

It is possible you are both right and that for some strange reason Grand Frigates do more damage, just to really confuse you :)
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Sep 8, 2004 6:09:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Oorlian

That's so silly it just might be correct.

Unless my eye is playing tricks on me, and it often does, it's 3. Testing in a Grand Frigate, to kibosh that silly theory.

Edited to remove double post.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Oorlian at Sep 8, 2004 6:26:38 AM]
[Sep 8, 2004 6:26:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.kevan.org/brain.cgi?Oorlian    Oorlian [Link]  Go to top 
AquaDrake

There are (apparently) only 16 bilge stations on a GF, as seen in the most recent duty puzzle bakeoff.

I need to double check, but a M. Brig seemed to be full of shots with only 8 shots loaded.
Maybe "historical" dragons were pterosaurs?
http://www.livescience.com/animals/090107-pterosaur-flight.html

"No plain fanfold paper could hold that fractal Puff --
He grew so fast no plotting pack could shrink him far enough.&quot
[Sep 15, 2004 7:44:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mlik

AquaDrake wrote: 
I need to double check, but a M. Brig seemed to be full of shots with only 8 shots loaded.

That's correct.
Mlik, playing the Forum Game.
Play Diplomacy!
Xephin tells you, "Viva le Revolution!"
[Sep 15, 2004 11:18:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    _dharmy_    dharmy0    2654008 [Link]  Go to top 
Quizzical

First, it's mass, not weight. More importantly, the mass and volume are backwards on the frigates and galleon. All ships have 1.5 times as much volume as mass.

The obvious thing left out is how many pirates on each station have their performance actually count. It's 1 on a sloop, and 2 on a cutter. I suspect that it's 4 on a war brig, and 6 on a merchant brig, but don't know about the larger ships. My best guess would be the same number as whichever type of station has the fewest, which would be 9 for a merchant galleon, 12 for a war frigate, 16 for a grand frigate, but that's just a guess.

I can only find 22 gunnery stations on a war frigate: four on the front part, four on the back part, four in the middle, and ten below deck. Did I miss two somewhere?
There is no "i" in "complex numbers".
[Sep 18, 2004 12:31:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
WhoIsYou

The number of gunnery stations is probably left over from before the "4 cannons at a time" patch. After it was made so you could only load 4 cannons, not 2, 4, or 6, all ships got cannons in a multiple of 4. They never updated the ship graphics to reflect the change. So you get some ships with the wrong number of cannon staions. A Cutter only has 6, for instance.
WhoIsYou
- Scurviest dog in the sea (Could ye spare an orange?)
[Sep 18, 2004 1:07:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Quizzical wrote: 
The obvious thing left out is how many pirates on each station have their performance actually count. It's 1 on a sloop, and 2 on a cutter. I suspect that it's 4 on a war brig, and 6 on a merchant brig, but don't know about the larger ships. My best guess would be the same number as whichever type of station has the fewest, which would be 9 for a merchant galleon, 12 for a war frigate, 16 for a grand frigate, but that's just a guess.

*blinks*
[Sep 18, 2004 1:08:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gothmog1065

[quote]The obvious thing left out is how many pirates on each station have their performance actually count. It's 1 on a sloop, and 2 on a cutter. I suspect that it's 4 on a war brig, and 6 on a merchant brig, but don't know about the larger ships. My best guess would be the same number as whichever type of station has the fewest, which would be 9 for a merchant galleon, 12 for a war frigate, 16 for a grand frigate, but that's just a guess.[quote]

Unless you're talking total per ship, that isn't true, as it takes less to bilge than to carp for instance. A sloop can get by with 1 sail, 1 carp 1 bilge. Without damage (just sailing) A cutter can to. A war brig is more 3/1/1, and a merch brig is more 3/3/1. But yeah.
Nemesis wrote: 
You ruined my joke, Goth.
Arakael wrote: 
Goth is right, as usual.
Blobbles wrote: 
Goth is right. *shudders*

[Sep 18, 2004 2:53:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

He's talking about the fact that work done is curved with more people, or trying to talk about it anyway. =P

I've hinted at it a few times myself. Two increds does not equal 2x one incred. Question is, does two puzzlers getting an excel and incred equal incred + excel? I'm inclined to think yes, but I'm not certain for sure.
[Sep 18, 2004 3:02:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quizzical

Put three people on sails on a sloop, and the ship's performance from sails just takes the top person on sails and discards the other two. Who is the top person can change from moment to moment, so you may well be better off with all three on sails than if only one were there, regardless of who is the "one", but that creates sharply diminishing returns to scale. The same applies to carp and bilge.

On a cutter, the top two count. Put five people on sails and the ship's performance from sails will be the average of the top two performers. The other three are discarded. Again, which particular people are in the top two can constantly change, so having five people on sails will still probably give the ship better performance than just picking two of them to take sails.

The question is how many count on the larger ships. It can probably be determined by carefully timing how quickly damage accumulates with different numbers of swabbies on carp. It's also possible that larger ships work quite fundamentally differently from sloops and cutters in this regard.
There is no "i" in "complex numbers".
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

Quizzical wrote: 
Put three people on sails on a sloop, and the ship's performance from sails just takes the top person on sails and discards the other two.

Then how come I can put 1 able swabbie, or three able swabbies, on a sloop, and get very differing times to complete the first league as well as speed at the end of the first league?

It may be that it drops quickly after the first, but it does not go to zero after the first.
Hypnos wrote: 
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 103   Pages: 4   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates