• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 103
Posts: 103   Pages: 4   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 28987 times and has 102 replies Next Thread
ArtistGirl

Re: Ship Sizes -again- Reply to this Post

But the real question is how many beds are on each type of ship?

Angela lost her paper with this valuable information.
Angela wanders back to shore leavewhere she belongs.

----------------------------------------
Angela
All grown-up.
[Apr 2, 2004 5:00:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheT

Yoda wrote: 
Okay, now my question for all you smartsy people is how many shots does it take to get maximum damage on each vessel (this is really the only thing I care about anyway hehe when thinking of a ship)? Yeah, there are now three different cannonballs sizes... but whatever.

Aye, i have the very same question, could somebody come up with a table that lists ship type vs. Cannon ball size, and indicates the number of swordfight black blocks inflicted by each type of cannonball?

so... small cb Medium Cb Large CB
Sloop 6
cutter 3 or 4 (not quite sure)

etc

can it be done?
Sokar
Sokar
Knights of the Republic
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Surely the damage from a sloop is the same as from a cutter, given that they use the same cannonball type?
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Apr 3, 2004 6:06:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Crystallina

Cutter damage from small cannon is 4 blocks.
Rapmasta26, in a surprisingly accurate assessment of many posters' attitude towards things:

PLEASE PEOPLE, IF YOU DONT AGREE DONT REPLY!!!!!!!!!!!

[Apr 3, 2004 6:19:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    YPP+Crystallina [Link]  Go to top 
TheT

54x wrote: 
Surely the damage from a sloop is the same as from a cutter, given that they use the same cannonball type?

sorry i gues i wasn't clear enough.

I'm lookin for a table that shows the damage that each size of cannon ball does on each size of ship.

better?
Sokar
Knights of the Republic
[Apr 4, 2004 10:27:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheT

Alright, ill keep this updated if all ye can feed me the numbers

S M L
m e a
a d r
l i g
l u e
m
Type
----------|---|---|---|
Sloop | 6 | 12| ? |
Cutter | 4 | ? | ? |
M. Brig | ? | ? | ? |
War Brig | ? | ? | ? |
M.Galleon | ? | ? | ? |
W.Frigate | ? | ? | ? |
G.Frigate | ? | ? | ? |
-----------------------

Credit:
Baldwin's Table format
Crystallina for small cb cutter dammage
Sokar
Knights of the Republic
[Edit 3 times, last edit by TheT at Apr 4, 2004 10:35:31 AM]
[Apr 4, 2004 10:35:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

I'm lookin for a table that shows the damage that each size of cannon ball does on each size of ship.

That does indeed make more sense. It seemed you were talking about damage inflicted. If we can find a good time, I'll see about helping you out with some of the other damages.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Apr 4, 2004 3:13:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Whiplash

I pity the person who has to shoot up their GF with a sloop...that could take a while

Dmentia bows to the wisdom of Whiplash.

[Apr 4, 2004 3:34:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
54x

It only needs one shot then a board to check how many blocks of damage are inflicted, although with a gf, it's probably best to hit it five times and see what that does, as one hit might have no effect ;)
from Midnight.
[Apr 4, 2004 9:02:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
CrazyMorg

ok, ill jump on me war frig, you hop on yer sloop and we'll find out, :P
[Apr 5, 2004 11:57:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheT

sure, but small problem, that will seriously booch both our crew's pvp seabattle rankings... i'm not sure me crew would appreciate that...
Sokar
Knights of the Republic
[Apr 5, 2004 3:26:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Slummock

TheT wrote: 
sure, but small problem, that will seriously booch both our crew's pvp seabattle rankings... i'm not sure me crew would appreciate that...

itd balance out, one win to one lose
Glub (again)
[Apr 6, 2004 12:36:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheT

54x wrote: 

That does indeed make more sense. It seemed you were talking about damage inflicted. If we can find a good time, I'll see about helping you out with some of the other damages.

well, if ye want to blow holes into some ships, then sure, why not, but, big problem number 2: i don't have the ships needed, and me crew doesn't have anything bigger than a warbrig that is available fer use, so.... If ye have a set of ships, or can borrow one from yer crew we can do this, except ye'd have to trust me with a deed to a boat at a time, which might not sit well with ye (i can give you the deed to me cutter as collaterol, but thats a poor trade for a war frigat) and i promise i won't steal anything, fer what that's worth, but i can do no better.

If ye still wanna giver er a go, let's set up a date!
Sokar
Sokar
Knights of the Republic
[Apr 6, 2004 11:59:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheT

Right, so we were out in a warbrig tonight,
something kinda odd happened, i took note of shots taken vs sword fight damage for two different battles against other brigs, well during the first fight, we took 1 shot, and had 4 squares of damage on our board. fair enough. but on the second fight, we too 2 shots, and had 9 squares... uh.... is it possible that a medium cb does 4.5 squares on a brig, rounded down?

oh, and a side note, hitting a rock does three squares to every type of vessel (actually that's a deduction, they do 3 squares to sloops, cutters, and war brigs undoubtable, and there's no reason to think that doesn't hold true for the m.brig, the galleon, and the frigates.)
Sokar
Sokar
Knights of the Republic
[Apr 9, 2004 3:23:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

It could well be possible that ships do fractional damage. The ringers don't like TOO many numbers floating around, so it sounds like something they'd do to discourage people trying to figure things out too accurately ;)
from Midnight.
[Apr 9, 2004 3:39:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
CrazyMorg

54x wrote: 
It could well be possible that ships do fractional damage. The ringers don't like TOO many numbers floating around, so it sounds like something they'd do to discourage people trying to figure things out too accurately ;)

aye after shooting up a cutter (with a sloop) it ended up with 3 rows and 1 block, if my memory serves me right
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheT

CrazyMorg wrote: 

aye after shooting up a cutter (with a sloop) it ended up with 3 rows and 1 block, if my memory serves me right

is it possible that cutters take the same 4.5 squares rounded down as the war brig?(from respective ball sizes) the damages seem to constant for their to be a randomized factor involved, and i can't figure out a fraction/decimal that would make a difference. For example if a medium cb did 2/3 of a row in damage on a war brig, taking two shots should just do 4/3 rows (ie. 8 squares, not 9)
Sokar
Knights of the Republic
[Apr 10, 2004 1:46:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheT

TheT wrote: 
CrazyMorg wrote: 

is it possible that cutters take the same 4.5 squares rounded down as the war brig?(from respective ball sizes) the damages seem to constant for their to be a randomized factor involved, and i can't figure out a fraction/decimal that would make a difference. For example if a medium cb did 2/3 of a row in damage on a war brig, taking two shots should just do 4/3 rows (ie. 8 squares, not 9)

do you guys have any ideas on that?
Sokar
Knights of the Republic
[Apr 10, 2004 1:47:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
woolamsd

Got engaged by a merchant brig whilst out in a sloop. 1 shot from a merchant brig inflicts 12 blocks (i.e. 2 rows) of damage to a sloop.

I lost count of the number of times I hit the merchant brig, so can't work out the damage the other way round.
Silverchris - Senior Officer - Pirates of the Damned, Crimson Tide

Various: "Smell Silverchris, he smells nice"
Silverchris: "Somehow, I don't think 'Hi I'm Silverchris, smell me' would work as a chat up line"
TheT

Noted.
i made some wild guesses as to all the various damage values based on completely random and unverifiable information.

S M L
m e a
a d r
l i g
l u e
m
Type
----------|---|---|---|
Sloop | 6 | 12| 18|
Cutter | 4 | 8 | 12|
M. Brig | 3 | 6 | 9 |
War Brig | 3 | 6 | 9 |
M.Galleon | 2 | 4 | 6 |
W.Frigate | 1 | 2 | 3 |
G.Frigate | 1 | 2 | 3 |
-----------------------

what do you think? roughly close?
Sokar
Knights of the Republic
[Apr 13, 2004 12:19:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Beautymaus

As far as I remember large canonballs make more damage on a frig!
[Apr 13, 2004 7:43:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    113262929 [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Hmmm. Are you sure war frigates and grand frigates take the same damage from all types of cannonballs? I thought Grand Frigates took more punishment?
from Midnight.
[Apr 14, 2004 8:52:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
TheT

54x wrote: 
Hmmm. Are you sure war frigates and grand frigates take the same damage from all types of cannonballs? I thought Grand Frigates took more punishment?

I most certainly am not, as i said, those were completely wild (if slightly logic based) guesses.
Sokar
Knights of the Republic
[Apr 17, 2004 1:43:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Leeksoup

Sloops can be taken out with two large cannonballs, too. Just shows how weak they are ;)
-Scylira, mostly retired
ponytailguy wrote: 
Yarr, me harties, let me go grab my knitting needles!

Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x].
[Apr 22, 2004 2:41:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

TheT wrote: 
Noted.
i made some wild guesses as to all the various damage values based on completely random and unverifiable information.

S M L
m e a
a d r
l i g
l u e
m
Type
----------|---|---|---|
Sloop | 6 | 12| 18|
Cutter | 4 | 8 | 12|
M. Brig | 3 | 6 | 9 |
War Brig | 3 | 6 | 9 |
M.Galleon | 2 | 4 | 6 |
W.Frigate | 1 | 2 | 3 |
G.Frigate | 1 | 2 | 3 |
-----------------------

what do you think? roughly close?

This is a bad way to show the damage on ships down by cannonballs. The reason is that damage is not actually the same per cannon. It differs depending on how many times you've hit them already. For example, a Cutter takes 4 blocks of damage from the first shot of a small ball, and 6 blocks of damage for the second shot (for a total of 10 blocks of damage after being hit by two small cannon balls).

I'll give everyone a hint though: the max damage is consistent and works out mathematically for all ships and cannon sizes if worked out correctly (I'd wager one could even figure out how many shots of varying cannon sizes would be required for when multi ship, nonblockade, battles are in). And all ships take damage differently.

Btw, does a Merch Galleon really have 21 carping stations? That's insane...
[Apr 22, 2004 2:54:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
alanafiona

They used to, but after the ship update months ago, it got changed to 14. I noted this a ways back, but no one listened to me at the time.
Alanafiona, distracted Captain of the Crimson Tyrants
Queen of the Sailors of Fortune
Why, yes, we are a bit strange - after all, we're lego pirates!
[Apr 22, 2004 3:01:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Actually I saw your post, I just wasn't sure if you were right or wrong, as a lot of people in here happen to be wrong. Nothing personal, 14 it is! =)
[Apr 22, 2004 3:04:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ivan256

Shuranthae wrote: 
Btw, does a Merch Galleon really have 21 carping stations? That's insane...

Aye, just like the Merchant brig, there is a disproportionatly large number of carping stations on the Merchant Galleon. You can keep it afloat (if you don't get shot) with just 3 really good carpenters though... or 9 average ones.

Now that I think about it, given ratio of pirates required to hold size, along with the use of large shot, I'm surprised more people aren't using Galleons for forage; especially considering the growth of crew sizes lately. I think I'm going to go buy another one.
Baldwin - Senior Officer, Six Leagues Under - Midnight ocean

Formerly: Baldwin - Captain of the Blood Brothers, King of Ruby Phoenix.
[Apr 22, 2004 3:06:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ivan256

alanafiona wrote: 
They used to, but after the ship update months ago, it got changed to 14. I noted this a ways back, but no one listened to me at the time.

Eek! Really?

Those bastards!

Well... The table be updated. Thanks fer the info. 'course now I have to go visit me Galleon and see the changes.

[size=8]Edit: You know I'm kidding, right? I love you guys!

Edit again: How the heck did I miss your post in this very same thread?!? I usually try to be so good about updating the table when there are new posts. Damn me. Sorry if ye thought I was ignoring ye.
Baldwin - Senior Officer, Six Leagues Under - Midnight ocean

Formerly: Baldwin - Captain of the Blood Brothers, King of Ruby Phoenix.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Ivan256 at Apr 22, 2004 3:14:24 AM]
[Apr 22, 2004 3:14:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Telastyn

Good luck finding one.
[Apr 22, 2004 3:24:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 103   Pages: 4   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates