• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 21
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 16998 times and has 20 replies Next Thread
tcarr

Programmers: briefing Reply to this Post

This is mainly for those programmers who have volunteered but haven't waded through all the backlogged threads for this project.
  • No, we aren't coding the proposals *yet*, other than a few prototypes in Excel or NetLogo.
  • When proposals are deemed "ready to code" a team will be formed. We haven't set up a process for how to decide who gets on which team, but I assume that if you volunteer for a particular proposal that will increase your chances. It's even better if you have been posting to the thread of that proposal, asking the specific questions that will need to be answered before we can start coding (so that the designer is forced to give us halfway decent design specs).
  • The proposals will be coded to run on GameGardens, which means Java. Coders who don't know Java can help with designing algorithms, or giving feedback on what appears easily coded on each proposal, but basicallly if you really want to get your hands into the code, you will need to learn the basics of Java *fast*.
  • It is not necessary for you to be familiar with GameGardens programming, but you will be more valuable to your team if you familiarize yourself. See below for links to sample source code and tutorials.
GameGardens tutorials and sample programs are linked from:
http://wiki.gamegardens.com/Main_Page

You also will need to be familiar with *playing* games on GameGardens. The Mummichog game is one of the main sample programs for this project.
http://www.gamegardens.com/

GameGardens has a forum too:
http://forums.gamegardens.com/discussion/mvnforum/listforums

I *suggest* that you start by playing Mummichog:
http://www.gamegardens.com/gardens/view_game.wm?gameid=50

Download the GameGardens packages and the Mummichog source code. Read the Using Mummichog as a Sample Program tutorial and try to understand the source code, at least for the MummichogManager, MummichogObject and MummichogBoardView classes. The editing on MummichogPanel will likely be minor, and you may not need more than renaming in any of the remaining classes at all, but those first three classes will require crucial editing.

I wrote Mummichog specifically as a sample program for this project. If there are parts that puzzle you, please feel free to ask me about them.
----------------------------------------
LordKalvan of Otherwhen, all oceans but mostly Midnight
[Sep 12, 2006 6:47:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jasandrea

Re: Programmers: briefing Reply to this Post

LordKalvan, you are teh awesome.

I'm hoping to be able to actually get involved with the coding end of things here, but it'll require re-animating my long dormant java skills (not to mention my general coding skills which are nearly as long dormant). Your roadmap will be an immeasurable help.
Jacquilynne
Elder Cod of The Yo-Ho Yo-Yos, Looterati
Ruby Arch: Where the brigands are Ultimate and the players used to be.
[Sep 12, 2006 7:17:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacquilynne [Link]  Go to top 
Elliania

Thanks for the briefing! :D
I have indeed lost track of the details of every discussion, but am still interested in getting involved in the coding part.

Still working on understanding the GameGardens part though...
Elliania
Senior Officer of the Waterdragons
[Sep 13, 2006 12:38:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

The following tutorials have been added to GardenWiki, some by me, some by others. I finished the last one from my own list last night. If you find some area confusing, please ask for a tutorial on how it is done.

Background: Compiling and running the sample games, Creating your own game, Distributed Objects, Extending Vilya Classes

Using IDEs: Eclipse, NetBeans

General Help: Using Mummichog as an Example Program, Debugging, Handling Watchers

And several animation techniques: ImageSprites, GleamAnimation, ScaleAnimation, ScoreAnimation
[Sep 13, 2006 5:10:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Skovran

Folks might find this useful as well. I have written a TestPanel to explore the features of the OOO libraries. The panel has a set of buttons that fire off test cases for: Animations, Paths, Labels, Sprites, mouse listeners. I have found it very handy for figuring out how to make stuff move around.

The project files can be fetched through anonymous CVS:

cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@skovran.com:/usr/local/cvsroot co mediatest

It is written as a Game Gardens game, so it can be run like this:
% unzip mediatest.zip
% cd mediatest
% ant
% ant server

# In another terminal
% ant client -Dusername=Blah

All the interesting code is in mediatest/src/java/test/TestPanel.java.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Skovran at Sep 15, 2006 1:50:30 PM]
[Sep 14, 2006 8:08:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

wow.... this is *awesome*

can't wait to get a chance to test it

edit: Skovran - that is truly amazing!!!! wow.... I couldn't get the DelayPath part to compile, even after downloading the latest zip; i'll have to check the subversion version.

looks like this weekend i'll be updating all my GameGardens projects to use the new stuff. i hadn't even noticed half of that listed in the javadocs.

edit 2: Skovran, do you want to post an article about this in GardenWiki, or would you prefer somebody else do that for you?

edit 3: strange, I had no trouble at all compiling at home. /e wonders what's wrong with the computer at work..... /e is still majorly impressed by all the animation goodies.

edit 4: no wonder I hadn't realized half these were in the javadocs - they weren't! which makes it even more impressive. kudos to Skovran.
[Edit 4 times, last edit by tcarr at Sep 15, 2006 12:56:38 AM]
[Sep 14, 2006 8:23:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Skovran

[quote]wow.... this is *awesome*[/quote]

I am glad you like it, and I hope it is useful to you.

[quote]edit 2: Skovran, do you want to post an article about this in GardenWiki, or would you prefer somebody else do that for you?[/quote]

Done: MediaTest

[qoute]edit 4: no wonder I hadn't realized half these were in the javadocs - they weren't! which makes it even more impressive. kudos to Skovran.[/quote]

I have been using the JavaDocs referenced here:
http://wiki.gamegardens.com/Main_Page#Libraries_and_Documentation
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Skovran at Sep 18, 2006 7:52:37 AM]
[Sep 15, 2006 9:13:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

edit 4: no wonder I hadn't realized half these were in the javadocs - they weren't! which makes it even more impressive. kudos to Skovran.

I have been using the JavaDocs referenced here:
http://wiki.gamegardens.com/Main_Page#Libraries_and_Documentation

Those are the javadocs I was referring to, although I did most of my digging through them back in June when just the Narya package was up (but part of another current package was included in Narya back then).

But the following parts mediatest required more than just a few lines of code to call a neat method or object from the libraries:
TDragSprite
TDragSnapSprite
TSwapSprite
TMarkerSprite (when I saw that button at first I thought "wow! you mean I didn't have to write the code to do that for Mummichog or ZenBilging??" on seeing the code, the work I did is comparable to what Skovran did in mediatest - not identical, but about the same amount of work.]
[Sep 15, 2006 10:41:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

Programmers, your time of glory is fast approaching! See:
http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=779008#779008

We need programmers to read through proposed puzzle threads and/or the wiki proposals. If you think there is enough information for a puzzle to be coded, then post in its discussion thread saying so. If you would need more information before you could start coding, say that as well.

When forming the teams for an approved puzzle, preference will be given to those programmers who had been active in helping get the design in shape during the discussion phase. This means that if there are puzzles you are itching to code, you would be well advised to jump into the discussion for those specific puzzles.

If there's a proposed puzzle that you wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole, you might want to post saying that too. If something is going to be a nightmare to code, then we need to *know* that.
[Sep 16, 2006 11:23:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tirix

There are several promizing puzzles designs I'd like to help coding. What would happen if I said "I volunteer to be main programmer" for many (like my heart feels like), and it finally turns out to be too many ?

Maybe the summary wiki page could be a good place for tracking readiness of the design, and team building. So anybody could spot rapidly which puzzle needs help...
[Sep 17, 2006 5:13:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

There are several promizing puzzles designs I'd like to help coding. What would happen if I said "I volunteer to be main programmer" for many (like my heart feels like), and it finally turns out to be too many ?

Maybe the summary wiki page could be a good place for tracking readiness of the design, and team building. So anybody could spot rapidly which puzzle needs help...

We plan to have one stickied thread here in the forum that will summarize the projects that have reached the transition stage.

We won't force ye to do too many projects mate. Go ahead and mark the ones ye would be willing to help with. If ye are already working on one project and it's not finished yet, we won't land a second on yer shoulders.
[Sep 17, 2006 6:08:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Skovran

Is there a standard CVS-like source repository we want to use for these games? Should we setup a Sourceforge project for each game?
[Sep 19, 2006 11:51:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

I would personally like to see the source code to each game, but I think it will depend on the team. If a team uses a single coder, then we don't really need CVS or Subversion. If a team uses two coders who are more comfortable just emailing .java or zip files to each other, that works.

Of course, any game that ThreeRings selects to include in YPP will have to deliver the source code to ThreeRings. I'm not sure that we need to make the source code public for every project.
[Sep 19, 2006 12:31:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

Programmers please keep an eye on the GCPP Proposal Status Board. When a proposal is first nominated as ready for team building, the top post in that thread will be edited to mention this. Any proposal at this in the "Phase One and a Half: Transition and Team Building" stage is a very good one for you to look at. Give your opinion as a coder whether it is ready for implementation, and indicate your willingness (or UNwillingness) to help code it.

We currently have one proposal (Halibut) that needs a third vote or somebody objecting that "no it's not ready yet!". If we get the third aye and no objections, then we will need a programmer or two for the team.
[Sep 23, 2006 1:18:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheRug

Is there a standard CVS-like source repository we want to use for these games? Should we setup a Sourceforge project for each game?

Following on this point, can we setup a Sourceforge project for these? I'm not up-to-date on all the various Open Source licenses, but don't several of them restrict future money-making off of the code? Wouldn't that restrict Three Rings from using the code in thier commercial game?

I'd love to get a cvs setup for Manta, but I'm not sure if we can use Sourceforge.
-Rugsby, formerly of Midnight and now of HunterEmerald

no .sig, no .plan, no .clue
[Sep 28, 2006 10:20:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

Following on this point, can we setup a Sourceforge project for these? I'm not up-to-date on all the various Open Source licenses, but don't several of them restrict future money-making off of the code? Wouldn't that restrict Three Rings from using the code in thier commercial game?

I'd love to get a cvs setup for Manta, but I'm not sure if we can use Sourceforge.

When I set up the Sourceforge project for Mummichog, I was given a *long* list of open source licenses to choose from. If you pick one that is just "attribution" (meaning that anybody can use or modify it as long as they give you credit for the part they took from your project) then you should be fine.

SourceForge doesn't specify which open source license you use, just that it *is* and Open Source project (meaning the source code will be available for others to see).
[Sep 28, 2006 10:24:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

Please note that the GameGardens libraries have changed recently. I'm slowly wading through the Reversi Tutorial that MDB posted trying to make sure I understand the *why* of the different parts before doing a complete rewrite on Mummichog and redoing the Mummichog Tutorial.

All of this means that if you are getting frustrated with both the Reversi and Mummichog tutorials, [1] you are not alone, and [2] eventually the Mummichog tutorial will get rewritten to use the new way of making GameGardens games. edit: if one of the two tutorials makes sense to you, then go ahead and run with it.

I'm not going to be doing much coding on Pickerel until I get this licked. There's no point in writing it the way I wrote my previous GameGardens games, with the 12+ Java classes in 3 different packages.

edit 2: If you are ready to commit some time to GCPP, there are several roles you could fill. Pick one that sounds interesting to *you*.
1. Look at the proposals on the status board that need a programmer (or a second programmer). Find one that looks interesting and volunteer for that one.

2. Look at the proposals that have not yet been nominated, and help get one or more of them in shape so that it could be coded. This could be one that you want to help program later, or several that you are just giving advice to.

3. Dive into the Reversi tutorial and figure out how to retool older GameGardens games to use the new features. Write articles on GardenWiki about what you find.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by tcarr at Sep 30, 2006 3:32:17 PM]
[Sep 30, 2006 1:25:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

There are several proposals on the status board that need a programmer or two.

If the GameGardens "ask the server for permission first" part is too confusing, or the getting the game so watchers can see things, you can start by just having the GameManager class set any lobby parameters in the GameObject, then have the BoardView class handle everything else. Once that is working, call in one of our more experienced GameGardens programmers to take the code and tell you how to revise it to at least pass the scores to the GameManager if not do the full "let watchers see what is happening" parts.
[Oct 25, 2006 9:23:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CraftingProj

There are still open spots for GCPP programmers. Check the status board. You may also want to note this:

Game Gardens Challenge 2006

games written for GCPP qualify for this contest. First prize is $2500 (smaller prizes for runners-up). Deadline is Dec 3rd. Let's get moving on our proposals, so we can have a chance of getting more of them finished before the deadline!

The contest is for any GameGardens game, not just GCPP.
discussion thread

[Nov 5, 2006 7:03:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CraftingProj

If you are currently working on a proposal to be posted on GameGardens, I would like to suggest that you concentrate on making the game playable at this point. Don't bother with letting watchers see the action, fancy score boards, in-game instructions, etc. We need a prototype to compare to other prototype games in the same industry.

If the game is fun, then there will be time later to add the bells and whistles (or just turn it over to Three Rings for polishing).
[Dec 11, 2006 12:58:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fiddler

I'd go further and recommend that so long as the basic mechanics are present that you should upload your project to Game Gardens. Even scoring and the end-game condition aren't as important to judging the fun-ness of a game as the action of playing is.
Orsino, Viridian ocean
Forum-mute: your best friend
Whitewyvern wrote: 
The only high end goals are those you set for yourself. What happens to anyone else is irrelevant.

[Dec 15, 2006 10:00:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates