• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 148
Posts: 148   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 42285 times and has 147 replies Next Thread
Dark_Viper

Puzzle Codename: Redband (Now on Game Gardens) Reply to this Post

Our Project Can be found here...

C&C welcome on this thread.

Thanks mates,

**Edit: Renaming of Project to Redband from Redhook
----------------------------------------
DarkViper
-------------------------------
Tropical fish
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Dark_Viper at Dec 5, 2006 12:02:06 PM]
[Sep 4, 2006 3:47:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.studzworld.com [Link]  Go to top 
nifboy

Re: Puzzle Codename: RedHook Reply to this Post

Mmmm. Puyo Pop, albiet just different enough to not be a complete ripoff.

My only concern is that clearing the screen will be an absolute pain to achieve without nearly top-level play. Will the kinds of tiles that drop be limited to those already on the board (a Puzzle Bobble mechanic)?
[Sep 4, 2006 5:33:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

First glance looks interesting - nice graphics! I'll take a closer look at it tomorrow.

"Redhook" might be a valid fishname, but it's not on the list we are supposed to use:
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/GCPP:Acceptable_fish_codenames
LordKalvan of Otherwhen, all oceans but mostly Midnight
[Sep 4, 2006 6:39:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Inuki

I'd be concerned about the time/speed factor, especially if it's one of the parts that scales for difficulty. It does look fun, but I think the tempo should be noticeably slower than SF/sails/etc - it's a crafting puzzle, after all. I think it'd also be nice to see the "timer" reflect pieces, rather than straight time, to remove a bit more of the time pressure.

The any block - "[w]hen dropped will change into the same type of block that it touches on its right side." Is that top right or bottom right? I would guess bottom right, because on a slant it would be difficult to slide a block under another - but then what happens if the block ends up getting dropped along the right edge? Perhaps "first block it touches, priority to right over left if two touched at the same time" would be more fitting, even if it slides after the initial touch?

Why should one session use more than one hour of labor? Precedent is set for "one puzzle session, one hour of labor" - so perhaps a session could still be up to three boards, but take an hour of labor even if you don't complete all of the criteria to progress past the first board? (One board might end up translating to basic labor, and three to expert, if points are cumulative.)

What happens if the board is completely filled so no new pieces can be added? Game over?

Will there be larger bonuses for clearing pieces when more types of pieces are in play? (See bilge - bingos are worth so much more with all 7 pieces on the board than with any fewer.)

Would it make sense, actually, to score as some kind of weighted derivative of "pieces cleared / pieces dropped" with bonuses for combos and a perfectly clear board?

I want to play; it looks like a puzzle I'd really enjoy. I'm just not sure that it works as a crafting puzzle as outlined, primarily because of the emphasis on speed and time. Some of that has to be there, but I'm not sure it has to be quite that much.
Now in a special Hunter flavor.
[Sep 4, 2006 10:58:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    inuki42    Inuki42 [Link]  Go to top 
Dark_Viper

I'd be concerned about the time/speed factor, especially if it's one of the parts that scales for difficulty. It does look fun, but I think the tempo should be noticeably slower than SF/sails/etc - it's a crafting puzzle, after all.

I time scale has NOT yet been decided, it was never stated that it would be quick.

I think it'd also be nice to see the "timer" reflect pieces, rather than straight time, to remove a bit more of the time pressure.

erm... what? lol

The any block - "[w]hen dropped will change into the same type of block that it touches on its right side." Is that top right or bottom right? I would guess bottom right, because on a slant it would be difficult to slide a block under another - but then what happens if the block ends up getting dropped along the right edge? Perhaps "first block it touches, priority to right over left if two touched at the same time" would be more fitting, even if it slides after the initial touch?

it will be the block to the bottom right, as you correctly identified. BUT the prioity idea is good thanks.

Why should one session use more than one hour of labor? Precedent is set for "one puzzle session, one hour of labor" - so perhaps a session could still be up to three boards, but take an hour of labor even if you don't complete all of the criteria to progress past the first board? (One board might end up translating to basic labor, and three to expert, if points are cumulative.)

From the wiki
Each ?CLEARED? puzzle will use one hour of labour.

NOT 1 hour for 1 Session

What happens if the board is completely filled so no new pieces can be added? Game over?

From the wiki

End criteria

You will have a set time in which to CLEAR the screen, if you fill your screen or the timer runs out, the puzzle ends and you receive you final status, i.e. Excellent.
A single session will contain a maximum of five screens (See Difficulty Scaling for more information).

Will there be larger bonuses for clearing pieces when more types of pieces are in play? (See bilge - bingos are worth so much more with all 7 pieces on the board than with any fewer.)

Would it make sense, actually, to score as some kind of weighted derivative of "pieces cleared / pieces dropped" with bonuses for combos and a perfectly clear board?

The scoring system has not been finalised, I think Three Rings should post how they score the puzzles, so we can intergrate them into our designs.

I want to play; it looks like a puzzle I'd really enjoy. I'm just not sure that it works as a crafting puzzle as outlined, primarily because of the emphasis on speed and time. Some of that has to be there, but I'm not sure it has to be quite that much.

Mmmm. Puyo Pop, albiet just different enough to not be a complete ripoff.

My only concern is that clearing the screen will be an absolute pain to achieve without nearly top-level play. Will the kinds of tiles that drop be limited to those already on the board (a Puzzle Bobble mechanic)?

A rip off of what?

You will have to build the blocks that are dropping and use them to clear what is on the screen. Not a hard puzzle at all. But then if it was TOO easy there would be 0 game play and thus 0 interest in acheiveing high levels at the game.

Just a comment on the list of fish names, three rings use the fish index (which is pretty bad, as it is lacks a lot of fishes) but the list provided is a list of common names, correct? but why is Rasbora on there? as this is a familt group of Characins (The family Tetras belong to)
I keep tropical fish, that why I noticed :D Rasbora is a name given to a small group of the Barb family.

thanks for the C&C so far.

**Edit: Added some colour to break it up a little... stupid quotes!
**Edit: Quotes weren't working for some reason? so I've used Italics instead, hope this helps somehwhat.
*edit: quote problem, had to go to work, will finish at work
DarkViper
Tropical fish
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Dark_Viper at Sep 5, 2006 12:57:00 AM]
[Sep 5, 2006 12:12:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.studzworld.com [Link]  Go to top 
Inuki

Some bits here removed - I admit to occasional blindness when reading things. :)

I think it'd also be nice to see the "timer" reflect pieces, rather than straight time, to remove a bit more of the time pressure.

erm... what? lol

Rather than the timer advancing every second, have it advance with each piece dropped. Less pressure on people who don't think quickly - and also makes it easier for people to quickly burn through and provide basic labor, by just slapping pieces down.

Wiki wrote: 
Each ?CLEARED? puzzle will use one hour of labour.

NOT 1 hour for 1 Session

Okay, clarification. I'm using "session" to mean "time between starting the puzzle and seeing a duty report." A "board," by contrast, is a particular arrangement of pieces that can be manipulated and cleared - which may result in a new board within the same session, or modify the board by replacing pieces (see shipwrighting and alchemy).

The wording you have now makes me think that each time you finish a board, you use one hour of labor - but that each session will be multiple boards. That doesn't seem to fit the way the other puzzles work. Especially these two points:

wiki wrote: 
A single session will contain a maximum of five screens (See Difficulty Scaling for more information).

Each ‘CLEARED’ puzzle will use one hour of labour. Each session will consist of five screens, thus completing a full sessions provides five hours labour.

Taken together, I'm seeing "sit down, play five boards, use five hours of labor, distributed according to one score shown only at the very end." That doesn't make sense.

The scoring system has not been finalised, I think Three Rings should post how they score the puzzles, so we can intergrate them into our designs.

If the design is chosen, I suspect the Ringers will adjust the numbers appropriately - there's no need for any of us to know what they are. The puzzle should score reasonably as an independent puzzle; the Ringers will do any necessary integration and tweaking.

The points I'm attempting to suggest here are basic scoring concepts that can be used with any scale.

You will have to build the blocks that are dropping and use them to clear what is on the screen. Not a hard puzzle at all. But then if it was TOO easy there would be 0 game play and thus 0 interest in acheiveing high levels at the game.

I think the question was, "If there's blue, red, and purple tiles left on the board, will any yellow tiles drop?" If boards initially have some random tiles on it, it's reasonable to assume that the random tiles will include at least one of each available color. If one color is completely cleared, will it still drop? If so, it makes clearing the board extremely difficult.

PS I think your quote problem was that you were using <quote=wiki> rather than <quote="wiki"> at at least one point. I hit quote before you cleaned up your post, so I'm just going to post it with the quotes.
[Sep 5, 2006 1:06:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    inuki42    Inuki42 [Link]  Go to top 
Dark_Viper

Rather than the timer advancing every second, have it advance with each piece dropped. Less pressure on people who don't think quickly - and also makes it easier for people to quickly burn through and provide basic labor, by just slapping pieces down.

I think a base time of 2mins will be given to get to the end of the puzzle (the 5 screens) so more than enough time, and if you are making combos, you will be rewarded with more time to use.

Okay, clarification. I'm using "session" to mean "time between starting the puzzle and seeing a duty report." A "board," by contrast, is a particular arrangement of pieces that can be manipulated and cleared - which may result in a new board within the same session, or modify the board by replacing pieces (see shipwrighting and alchemy).

I booched there (/me hides) in that I didnt make it clearer.
1 session =
- 'all five screens' cleared
OR
'until you fill your screen'

The wording you have now makes me think that each time you finish a board, you use one hour of labor - but that each session will be multiple boards. That doesn't seem to fit the way the other puzzles work.

That would be correct.

Taken together, I'm seeing "sit down, play five boards, use five hours of labor, distributed according to one score shown only at the very end." That doesn't make sense.

What exactly doesn't make sense? the type of labour used (basic skilled etc) will be based on your performance over the five boards.
Having just one screen would make the puzzle TOO easy.

If the design is chosen, I suspect the Ringers will adjust the numbers appropriately - there's no need for any of us to know what they are. The puzzle should score reasonably as an independent puzzle; the Ringers will do any necessary integration and tweaking.

Yes I understand that, it would just be nice to be able to see how they do it, and thus saving them some time, but meh! does matter too much.

I think the question was, "If there's blue, red, and purple tiles left on the board, will any yellow tiles drop?" If boards initially have some random tiles on it, it's reasonable to assume that the random tiles will include at least one of each available color. If one color is completely cleared, will it still drop? If so, it makes clearing the board extremely difficult.

Yes if If there's blue, red, and purple tiles left on the board, yellow could drop, the blocks will be based on a randomisation, again the same as SF.

Why will it make it extremely 'difficult'? In SF you dont always get the blocks you want, nor the breakers, this adds an extra level of difficulty.
Its all about placing blocks in anticipation for the next block.

As for the baord getting faster, the 'people who don't think quickly' will benefit from the speed increases, as it will train their brains and reflexes to a faster level. This is an idea taken from gunning, as you get better and stay in the puzzle longer the game speeds up, does it not?
DarkViper
Tropical fish
[Sep 5, 2006 2:22:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.studzworld.com [Link]  Go to top 
Maquereau

I like the basic mechanics of this puzzle. It is of course familiar in the Tetris block dropping style but the 45 degrees angle and pieces sliding due to incline makes it unique enough.
[Sep 5, 2006 2:30:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dark_Viper

I like the basic mechanics of this puzzle. It is of course familiar in the Tetris block dropping style but the 45 degrees angle and pieces sliding due to incline makes it unique enough.

yeah, and you can now see the what I mean in the description by 'lines' as I have added the 'Stitch' Images, and the gravity images now, as well.

Thanks for the input
DarkViper
Tropical fish
[Sep 5, 2006 2:52:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.studzworld.com [Link]  Go to top 
Inuki

I think a base time of 2mins will be given to get to the end of the puzzle (the 5 screens) so more than enough time, and if you are making combos, you will be rewarded with more time to use.

Combos increase available time? Somehow I missed that in my read-throughs as well - might be a good idea to emphasize that point, or repeat it under Gameplay (something like "the game has a timer (which can be affected by play), in the form of a bobbin..." would make it more likely to be picked up by quick skimming).

The wording you have now makes me think that each time you finish a board, you use one hour of labor - but that each session will be multiple boards. That doesn't seem to fit the way the other puzzles work.

That would be correct.

What exactly doesn't make sense? the type of labour used (basic skilled etc) will be based on your performance over the five boards.
Having just one screen would make the puzzle TOO easy.

Sure, I can agree on that - just one board is easy. But why one hour of labor per board, then? That's what doesn't make sense. You use one hour per session of alchemy, shipwrighting, and distilling, though the boards are constantly changing... so it doesn't seem to fit that you'd use more than one hour per session for any other crafting puzzle.

What might work would be something like this - if you clear the first board and have time available, continue to a second, then a third, to a maximum of 3. If you complete all three with time remaining, you get a bonus based on time left. Scoring continues through all three, perhaps with a bonus for each board cleared, but if at any point time runs out or pieces cannot be placed, session is over. Each session of up to three boards uses one hour of labor.

Playtesting might help determine just how difficult each board is, how long it takes, etc - that idea might not even be necessary if a single board takes 5 minutes on average.

Yes if If there's blue, red, and purple tiles left on the board, yellow could drop, the blocks will be based on a randomisation, again the same as SF.

Why will it make it extremely 'difficult'? In SF you dont always get the blocks you want, nor the breakers, this adds an extra level of difficulty.
Its all about placing blocks in anticipation for the next block.

If you need one last purple one to clear the board, and you get a red, yellow, and blue, now you suddenly need one purple, three red, three yellow, and three blue. While you're waiting for those, the chances of more "junk" tiles appearing increase as well. If any color can appear at any time, with no regard for number on the board, number removed, or anything else, it becomes difficult to clear because of the chances of getting tiles that have no mates.

Possible compromise - once X tiles of a given color have been removed, that color will only appear as long as there are still some of that color on the board. Makes it more possible to clear a board, but still requires a minimum number of matches, which would reduce the chances of just clearing the starting pieces and progressing.

As for the baord getting faster, the 'people who don't think quickly' will benefit from the speed increases, as it will train their brains and reflexes to a faster level. This is an idea taken from gunning, as you get better and stay in the puzzle longer the game speeds up, does it not?

Reaction time is something that is not really voluntary, and cannot be effectively "trained" past a certain point. (Controls can be learned, situation-specific pattern recognition can be gained, but there is a limit to the speed visual input can be processed and keys can be pressed.) I'd consider it as something external to the game - beneficial, certainly, especially in duty puzzles where rapid reactions can significantly help. However, it seems terribly out of place in crafting puzzles, where time pressures are greatly reduced or nonexistant.

In addition, I just skimmed over the general guidelines again. Your puzzle uses time in two places - first, a timer limiting the length of the entire puzzle, and second, in the speed pieces drop and the decision times resulting. That just doesn't feel very low-key, which is one of the more important guidelines on the list.

That's why I suggested that the session timer be based on pieces rather than time. If you slap the pieces down very quickly, you will come to the end of the session more rapidly than someone very thoughtful and deliberate - but quick thinking doesn't always lead to the best moves, so slow and precise may very well score much higher. Combos can still easily extend the available time, by allowing more pieces to drop before it's considered "out of time." But it won't penalize people who may be excellent at pattern recognition but not so quick on using the controls.

I'll say it again - I like this puzzle. It's one I'd like to play. All the comments I'm presenting here are in the spirit of "let's make this better and more suited to the game as a whole."
[Sep 5, 2006 3:33:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    inuki42    Inuki42 [Link]  Go to top 
Dark_Viper

Well I take my hat off to you, these are valid points that I will be intergrating.

Having no timer is a better idea, and I think the speed aspect I will remove, although as ypour progress the The Blank Blocks will still become more frequent as you progress.

I will also change the amount of labour to 1 hour per session, and you get:

- BASIC = <1 board compelete
- Skilled = 1-2 boards complete
- Expert = 2-3 boards complete

Also these will be at the mersy of the scores gained too.

I have said no timer (above) but it could be used on a score basis, I mean, there would be no time limit, but the faster you clear a screen the high your score bonus for that screen.

I will try and write out a revision of the game in a while (I'm in work now, and shouldnt be on the forums, lol, but pft! who cares... Y!PP is more important, IMHO)

I will be making some mock up animations when I get home tonight to show how the game would be played. This will show those of you who find what I have written hard to comprehend.

I've added an image of a basic triple combo, so you can see how these would work.
DarkViper
Tropical fish
[Sep 5, 2006 4:07:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.studzworld.com [Link]  Go to top 
Bia
OceanMaster

I think the five hour per session requirement would require back-end changes to how the crafting puzzles are integrated into the game. It may be better to figure out how to increase the difficulty of a single board puzzle, although I rather like the idea of puzzles that require multiple boards to finish.
[Sep 5, 2006 4:17:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dark_Viper

I think the five hour per session requirement would require back-end changes to how the crafting puzzles are integrated into the game. It may be better to figure out how to increase the difficulty of a single board puzzle, although I rather like the idea of puzzles that require multiple boards to finish.

Aye, I am going to remove the five hour per session element, and make the puzzle 1hour per session as stated previously.

REVISION added

:)

thanks for the comments

*Edit: Added Revision update
DarkViper
Tropical fish
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Dark_Viper at Sep 5, 2006 9:40:15 AM]
[Sep 5, 2006 4:35:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.studzworld.com [Link]  Go to top 
Dark_Viper

Added some more images, and also some game footage for your perusal.
DarkViper
Tropical fish
[Sep 5, 2006 8:39:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.studzworld.com [Link]  Go to top 
nifboy

A rip off of what?

Puyo Pop. Also known as: Puyo Puyo, Kirby's Avalanche, Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, etc. It uses the same "connect 4 in any way" setup, but uses the traditional 8x20 well with traditional two-at-a-time falling blocks. There are a lot of familiar ideas in this proposal but it is unique in its own way, so I am very intrigued.

This is not directly related to the design, per se, but if it gets to the coding stage there will absolutely need to be a very well-defined set of rules for just how gravity affects pieces, since a given piece can move two or three ways instead of just one.
[Sep 5, 2006 11:06:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dark_Viper

Ahoy,

Yeah I understand the problems that will be faced when programming this, I myself am a programmer. If only restricted to a few languages and basic java skills.

My Programmer team mate (endolf) is a very good programmer, and we are also working on another project, totally unrelated to Y!PP. I'm his Graphic Designer :D its an online space fighter game, it is fully 3d, but is still in its infancy. lol, even after 8 years in the making, I only joined the team 12 months ago. The game has gone from a text based game to a full 3d online game :) Evoluation at its best.

Any way, I've added a new revision to the puzzle, and I have a few more things to add, but this will have to be under Version 1.2.1 as I dont have the time at this very moment to develop the graphics and write the blurb.

I prefer to have a graphic, even if it is a basic one. As it shows exactly what I'm trying to acheive, where as in words it is some times too complex to explain. After all a picture paints a thousand words.

A lot of positive feedback about our project which I'm glad to see.

As for the game being a rip off, it does have similiar features to puyopoyu I did a search and found it, but then its different in its own way.

Now Dr. Mario there is a game I remember, I used to spend hours battling away on the amiga 500 and then on the 1200 with that game. I'd totally forgotten about it. I'll have to see if I can find a copy on the net :D for the PC. woooo!

Thanks again.
DarkViper
Tropical fish
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Dark_Viper at Sep 5, 2006 2:55:48 PM]
[Sep 5, 2006 2:51:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.studzworld.com [Link]  Go to top 
monkeylina

I hate to say this after all the discussion, but I've played a practically identical game before! I can't remember the name or where it was, but it looked and played the same. Also similar to topsyturvy on miniclip.com and pileup on gamehouse.com
[Sep 14, 2006 7:43:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dark_Viper

nearly every puzzle within puzzle pirates has another game similar to it.

I havent copied this idea, every game someone has mentioned I've never seen or played, well except Dr.Mario :)

So WHY is every completely hung up on the fact that there are simialr games.

there are very few ways in which a basic puzzle, can be created.
You look at music, nearly every song that is made has similarities to other songs already made, and why is this? coz there are a limited number of notes.

Thank you...

ok here is a list of some of games similar to those in Y!PP:

Swordfighting:
- Puzzle Fighter
- There was a game on yahoo! exactly the same, I think silverdawg used to play it a lot (sorry top drag you into this mate)

Carpentry:
- This is a simple pentomino puzzle

Drinking:
- A twist on a game called squares
- or even a massively up scaled version or tic-tac-toe

Treasure Drop:
- Drop penny from the Arcades

Bilge:
- there was a game on sky digital that was the same

Rumble:
- Bust-a-move
- the new bubble-bobble games

Sailing:
- there has been another game the same, I cant remeber the name of it :D

edit: added some addtional information about the puzzle already available
DarkViper
Tropical fish
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Dark_Viper at Sep 15, 2006 1:13:05 AM]
[Sep 14, 2006 11:57:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.studzworld.com [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

Mr. Pajitnov designed Tetris, among many other puzzle games. Reply to this Post

Similar and identical are two very different cases. Same with inspired-by and derived-from.

While duplicating work is inevitable given the realm we are trying to work in, we ask for original designs specifically so that we can distinguish our puzzles from the myriad other puzzle games out there. Alexey Pajitnov, for instance, has a twenty-year head-start, and if there's nothing to separate his puzzle from ours, people won't have any reason to play our version.

Pointing out that some other puzzles have similarity to existing ones doesn't change the fact that we have asked for original designs. Perhaps if we could determine which game monkeylina referred to first, we can work from there. Until then, the best thing you can do is continue to refine your design.
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Sep 15, 2006 6:46:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dark_Viper

Re: Mr. Pajitnov designed Tetris, among many other puzzle games. Reply to this Post

This is very frustrating as I haven't copied any designs from any games. This something I came up with myself. It is just by some unworldly coincidence that it is similar, not the same, as some other game.

This has annoyed me beyond belief as I have spent SO much time on this design and idea, as I think I've said I was working on this before this competition was even announced , as I was going to publish it in game design. :(

I can't see why my entry would not be valid for the simple reason that someone somewhere else in the world happened to have the same idea, even if before I did. Hopefully my puzzle being similar to another won't invalidate my entry?

/me goes off to cry over his hard work

and just to add puzzle fighter is exactly like SFing.

edit: spelling mistakes
DarkViper
Tropical fish
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Dark_Viper at Sep 16, 2006 3:27:35 AM]
[Sep 16, 2006 3:15:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.studzworld.com [Link]  Go to top 
Dark_Viper

Re: Mr. Pajitnov designed Tetris, among many other puzzle games. Reply to this Post

NEW UPDATE

We now have a sample screen shot of the game.
The image has been created by the game code, to ensure all the peices sit correctly:

RedBand Project

Enjoy...
DarkViper
Tropical fish
[Sep 16, 2006 5:09:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.studzworld.com [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

It looks like an interesting game. I personally am having trouble concentrating on the game mechanics - I keep getting distracted by the pretty graphics.

Yes, it is similar to Tetris. However, yes it has a flavor of a piratey tailor shop. Originality is wonderful, but so is fitting with the industry it is intended for, and being fun to play.

Speaking *personally* and not professionally, I would not be likely to play this game very much. I avoid games that make heavy use of arrow keys (such as sailing and duty nav). I can and do swordfight, but not for longer than a melee or round of a tourney. I prefer mouse games.

Switching to a "what is best for YPP" mode, all the current crafting puzzles are mouse games. I know that there are other pirates whose wrists start hurting when they mouse for too long; they might like the idea of an arrow key crafting puzzle.
[Sep 16, 2006 6:10:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aenor

Yes, it is similar to Tetris. However, yes it has a flavor of a piratey tailor shop. Originality is wonderful, but so is fitting with the industry it is intended for, and being fun to play.

It's a great idea for a puzzle, but not a crafting puzzle, since the ringers have stated that they should be more relaxing, with either no time element (like alchemistry) or a very long time element (like distilling and shipwrightery) If this puzzle scales in difficulty by increasing in speed, I don't think it works as a crafting puzzle.
Mat on the Meridian Ocean

Thank you to everyone who loves Blacksmithing!
[Sep 16, 2006 6:35:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jasandrea

I've played many variations on this game, though they usually involve the whole screen moving and causing the blocks to realign, and the new elements just dropping straight in, rather than the mechanic that's here, which is control of a steady stream of new blocks to clear the screen.

I think this is sufficiently different from the other, similar puzzles that I've seen that I wouldn't worry about exactly duplication.
Jacquilynne
Elder Cod of The Yo-Ho Yo-Yos, Looterati
Ruby Arch: Where the brigands are Ultimate and the players used to be.
[Sep 16, 2006 9:27:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacquilynne [Link]  Go to top 
Dark_Viper

It's a great idea for a puzzle, but not a crafting puzzle, since the ringers have stated that they should be more relaxing, with either no time element (like alchemistry) or a very long time element (like distilling and shipwrightery) If this puzzle scales in difficulty by increasing in speed, I don't think it works as a crafting puzzle.

you havent read the updates...

There is NO timer now, and the speed element doesn't effect you as much now.
And you say

no time element (like alchemistry)

Yes there is a time limit in alchemistry, if dont do it quick enough the bottles shake and explode... or did they change this, admittedly I have play alchemstry since it was fist introduced. its wasnt a puzzle I enjoyed, and I found ship wrighty too easy, it was easy to make vegas after vegas which lost its challenge very quickly.
The time limit in distillery and shipwright isnt that long? lol
DarkViper
Tropical fish
[Sep 16, 2006 9:30:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.studzworld.com [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

I found ship wrighty too easy, it was easy to make vegas after vegas which lost its challenge very quickly.
The time limit in distillery and shipwright isnt that long? lol

IMAO* as long as the time pressure is "relaxed", *some* kind of mild pressure to prevent you from just sitting there forever thinking is a good idea.

[wandering mildly off topic]
I'm GM at shipwright (on Midnight) and I hardly ever make Vegases. I get more internal points by getting *both* the 5-piecers, and sometimes I can squeeze in a smaller one or two before the 5-piecers, or spot another small one before I place the last 5-piecer, that won't hurt my 5-piecer. But then I've stopped trying for higher than GM; all expert labor needs is those two 5-piecers every time, at the *end* of the run (ignoring 3-piecers after the second 5-piecer).
[/wandering mildly off topic]

*In My Arrogant Opinion
[Sep 16, 2006 10:03:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

Alchemistry has a limit of 75 moves, not 75 seconds. Really, enter an alch puzzle and try doing nothing. You can sit there all day.

As far as your puzzle goes, you can have user-controlled speed like in SF or Sailing. Give a small bonus for those who never let up on the spacebar, but make sure that the bulk of the points come from making matches and combos. Any able can mash the spacebar, you know. Increasing the number of colors, decreasing the number of Any and Orb blocks, and increasing the number of Blanks will all make the puzzle harder.
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Sep 16, 2006 11:17:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
Fiddler

Re: Puzzle Codename: Redband Reply to this Post

Just a quick thought on clarifying the gravity rules:
What if you tilted your board at 30 degrees off the square, so that the the board was obviously leaning more to one side than the other? That would give a good visual clue as to which way pieces will tend to slide if a piece is unsupported on both bottom sides.
Orsino, Viridian ocean
Forum-mute: your best friend
Whitewyvern wrote: 
The only high end goals are those you set for yourself. What happens to anyone else is irrelevant.

[Sep 16, 2006 10:40:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
Dark_Viper

As far as your puzzle goes, you can have user-controlled speed like in SF or Sailing.

Erm... have you not read the proposal at all? this is a feature which is intergrated into the puzzle?

Give a small bonus for those who never let up on the spacebar, but make sure that the bulk of the points come from making matches and combos.

The points do come from the stitches and the combos, where in the proposla did it say you get points for hitting the space bar?

Any able can mash the spacebar, you know. Increasing the number of colors, decreasing the number of Any and Orb blocks, and increasing the number of Blanks will all make the puzzle harder.

You cant complete the puzzle with any degree of skill by just mashing the space bar and filling the screen, this would be apointless exercise...
The blank blocks increase in number as you move through the new puzzles.

I do really think you should spend some time actually readinf what has been posted in the proposal as every point you have made is outlined there?

But as you rightly pointed out about alchemy, and as I said I haven't played it muched, there is no time limit, but there is a limit...
DarkViper
Tropical fish
[Sep 17, 2006 8:34:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.studzworld.com [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

I do really think you should spend some time actually readinf what has been posted in the proposal as every point you have made is outlined there?

This is where including a storyboard in your proposal is sooooooo much help. It is easier for most people to grasp the nuances in the context of a story, than in a set of bare bones rules.

In addition, those of us who have read your proposal in each stage of its evolution may get confused about which parts have been changed.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by tcarr at Sep 17, 2006 11:00:53 AM]
[Sep 17, 2006 11:00:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 148   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates