• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 21
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3818 times and has 20 replies Next Thread
TomRackham

Drinking game - Configurable time limit Reply to this Post

(As 'Drinking Time Limit' turns up no search hits)

How feasible/desirable is it to allow the pirate creating a drinking game (or issuing a drinking challenge) to set the time limit to place each piece? A lot of my flagmates have approached me about learning to be a better drinker, and I'd love to be able to discuss move-by-move strategy in game, but there's just not enough time. Also, for more frantic games, the time limit could be set very low. Speed drinking.
[Nov 19, 2003 6:19:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Slummock

Re: Drinking game - Configurable time limit Reply to this Post

sounds good to me. only prob is that people will start to stall toward the end if they're winning. an (optional) short peice placing time would have to be added (or even that in the last 1/4 of the game the piece placing time speeds up)

having a limited number of moves might bring up some interesting stratarrrgy too

edit: d'oh. i was tired :)
----------------------------------------
Glub (again)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Slummock at Nov 19, 2003 6:32:20 AM]
[Nov 19, 2003 6:32:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nykkel

Actually, he's asking about changing the per-move time limit, not the time limit for the whole game.
[Nov 19, 2003 7:25:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kozmic

I'd like the time for the whole game to be configurable
[size=10]Kozmic- that one person in the Far Too Jolly Rogers

Jellybeanz- that other person in the Far Too Jolly Rogers

Hugglebear- member of XOXOXO Snuggle Pirates
[Nov 19, 2003 8:09:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    JeSuisLaChatte [Link]  Go to top 
Kraken

kozmic wrote: 

I'd like the ability to play YPP 30 hours a day instead of just the 24 I'm limited too now.. Maybe we can add this to the middle of The List?
Gorth

Midnight:
-Senior Officer of Dastardly Deviant Devils.

Azure:
-Owner of Spring Blade Iron Monger on Spring Island.
-Senior Officer of Dastardly Deviant Devils.
[Nov 19, 2003 8:50:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sugarpie

... she means the time for the entire drinking game, and I'd agree I would like a real-time configurable time limit for that game.
Sugarpie
The Violet (er... Violent?) Pirate
Member of Black Death
Former Governor of Orca
Piggy Josiah R.I.P.

[Nov 19, 2003 9:13:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squidbeard

Why didn't I think of that? Reply to this Post

I nominate this for Thread of the Month[size=9](tm)! Nothing but good, fresh ideas across the board! Huzzah!

[size=9]Now, isn't that more interesting than a straight 'me, too'?
Squid
High Priest, Cult of the Red Mantis
[Nov 19, 2003 12:36:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://looterati.goldfish.org [Link]  Go to top 
kozmic

Kraken wrote: 
kozmic wrote: 

I'd like the ability to play YPP 30 hours a day instead of just the 24 I'm limited too now.. Maybe we can add this to the middle of The List?

:p You know what I meant!
[size=10]Kozmic- that one person in the Far Too Jolly Rogers

Jellybeanz- that other person in the Far Too Jolly Rogers

Hugglebear- member of XOXOXO Snuggle Pirates
[Nov 19, 2003 12:45:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    JeSuisLaChatte [Link]  Go to top 
Tee_Beard

Sugarpie wrote: 
... she means the time for the entire drinking game, and I'd agree I would like a real-time configurable time limit for that game.

Damn. I could use something like that. Plus a 15 minute reminder, telling you that you have 15 more minutes of game-time left.

I've been playin' this game way too much.
Thesis
It’s kind of funny/sad how I still can find the thing that made me part of Y!PP canon.
[Nov 19, 2003 1:40:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

I would like a real-time configurable time limit for the drinking game.

Do you mean having the end conditions based on a timer rather than board stain?
[Nov 20, 2003 1:42:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CursedBurger

A maximum number of turns elapsing would likely be preferable so that the winner would not be able to stall.

edit: Rephrased.
Are there any pirates on this ship?
And if they sober up,
they'll have us home by morning.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by CursedBurger at Nov 20, 2003 1:49:55 AM]
[Nov 20, 2003 1:49:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stigant

Actually, I think the original poster wanted control of per-turn timers. He says specifically that he wants to discuss strategy with his flagmates which likely would involve something like "Where should I put this piece and why?". He needs to be able to remove the turn timer altogether or set it up around 5 minutes per move.

Other people are asking for a total game timer. I frequently (feh... I don't drink that much BECAUSE of this) find that drinking games take much longer than I'd like. I'd like to have an option to restrict the game to 5:00, 10:00 etc, the winner being whoever is ahead at the time. Of course, if agreed upon in advance, this kind of timer can be implemented by players. Also, stalling need not be (that much of) an issue in this variant if you keep the per-turn timer as well.

Personally, I like both ideas, but the first, IMO, deserves more attention since it allows much more functionality than is currently available by any means and because it has more options associated with it (ie, lets play a speed game, or lets play a slow game or lets sit and ponder strategy etc).
Stigs
Minister of Edumacation, All But Malice
SO of Innocent
[Nov 20, 2003 2:47:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TomRackham

My original post was about a per-move timer, yeah. Although now that I think about it, a total game time would be interesting as well. I know our fine, fine developers intended the drinking game as a relaxed, casual thing, and I enjoy it in that form just fine, but the idea of hardcore 'Speed Drinkers' has a certain bent appeal to me as well.
[Nov 20, 2003 3:33:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Slummock

CursedBurger wrote: 
Perhaps a maximum number of turns elapsing would be preferable, so the winner would not be able to stall?

at least i'm not the only one who can't read

slummock wrote: 
having a limited number of moves might bring up some interesting stratarrrgy too

unless you were just adding weight to the idea, in which case ignore me.

it all sounds good to me
Glub (again)
[Nov 20, 2003 7:32:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scottish

just for a minute let's all do the
BUMP this up to the top so Bred can post his idea on the correct thread.
Scottish
Lord of Silver Dawn
Senior Officer of The Cartographers
Captain of Swillver Dawn, OCL Drinking Season 5 Champions
[Feb 10, 2004 4:36:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    ragingcoffee    Ishington    78378034 [Link]  Go to top 
Bistronaut

I had started another thread for my idea, but I guess this one is close enough to do. Stignant summed up the ideas already discussed in this thread pretty well:

stigant wrote: 
Actually, I think the original poster wanted control of per-turn timers. He says specifically that he wants to discuss strategy with his flagmates which likely would involve something like "Where should I put this piece and why?". He needs to be able to remove the turn timer altogether or set it up around 5 minutes per move.

Other people are asking for a total game timer. I frequently (feh... I don't drink that much BECAUSE of this) find that drinking games take much longer than I'd like. I'd like to have an option to restrict the game to 5:00, 10:00 etc, the winner being whoever is ahead at the time. Of course, if agreed upon in advance, this kind of timer can be implemented by players. Also, stalling need not be (that much of) an issue in this variant if you keep the per-turn timer as well.

My suggestion is neither of those, although it is close to the second (but without the possiblitiy of stalling gaining anything for a player). I would like to see a timer that operates like the ones used in competitive chess added in as an option in drinking games. That way, for a 10-minute game, each player would get 5 minutes of playing time. Your five minutes would only be counting down while you had control (i.e. the game is waiting for you to place a piece). If your time ran out before the game was over, you would loose. Points would not matter in that case - it's totally your fault for taking a long time.

Just like how I don't use a timer when I'm playing chess with my friends, normal social drinking games would not have the timer turned on either. I think that "timer off" should be the default for all non-tournament games. Tournament games, however, are naturally more competitive, and having a good default time limit would be very nice. As it stands now, a couple inexperianced players in a large tournament can double the amount of time a round takes.
Bredbeard - Sailmaster of Easily Distracted
Member of Silver Dawn
[Feb 10, 2004 4:53:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jasandrea

What if both players are running out the time roughly evenly? Does someone automatically lose because they happened to have 0 seconds left when the other guy had 3 seconds left?
Jacquilynne
Elder Cod of The Yo-Ho Yo-Yos, Looterati
Ruby Arch: Where the brigands are Ultimate and the players used to be.
[Feb 10, 2004 6:03:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacquilynne [Link]  Go to top 
Jothmar

I would say if you did anything like that the game would be 10 mins long lets say then each person would have 6 or 7 minutes that they would be able to use personally.
Kelyon Hawk of Fidelis Bellum
[Feb 10, 2004 6:10:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xagoloth

jasandrea wrote: 
What if both players are running out the time roughly evenly? Does someone automatically lose because they happened to have 0 seconds left when the other guy had 3 seconds left?

Yes, thats what happens in chess. Usually you concede and retire.
JackSparrow
www.mashrur.com
[Feb 10, 2004 6:21:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mashrur.com    jaquesparrow@yahoo.com    mashsurfer [Link]  Go to top 
Bistronaut

jasandrea wrote: 

Yep. In that case they're both taking too long and the pirate that's 3 seconds longer loses.
Jothmar wrote: 
I would say if you did anything like that the game would be 10 mins long lets say then each person would have 6 or 7 minutes that they would be able to use personally.

That's not how it works. The total time is never reached, but is just the maximum that you get near if both pirates are equally taking too long. If each pirate got 6 minutes to use, it would be called a 12-minute game.
Bredbeard - Sailmaster of Easily Distracted
Member of Silver Dawn
[Feb 10, 2004 6:24:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dodongo77

As i enjoy the drinking game more for its competition than anything else, i would welcome the addition of these chess style rules that have been spoken of. Drinking tourneys take FAR too long as it is (probably 2 or 3 times as long as a sword tourney of the same size people).
[Feb 10, 2004 7:32:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates