• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 106
Posts: 106   Pages: 4   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 9535 times and has 105 replies Next Thread
Ivan256

Re: "To Fix" List Reply to this Post

guppie wrote: 
I have to put in my two cents for an on deck duty report at league points, not just in puzzles.

I think that would be a great feature.... Might be a lot of work to get done in 6 days though...

How about just showing the ratings at the end of the battle nav puzzle? It's a puzzle too, right? Why isn't it the same as the rest of them?
----------------------------------------
Baldwin - Senior Officer, Six Leagues Under - Midnight ocean

Formerly: Baldwin - Captain of the Blood Brothers, King of Ruby Phoenix.
[Dec 2, 2003 12:33:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lothy

Here's one Cleaver... I'm not sure if this is just a display discrepancy or an actual minor bug...

Pertaining to Bilging... from league to league, if you stay in the puzzle your little performance icon stays consistent.... (IE. If you're sparkling gold before the league point, you're sparkling gold AFTER the league point)

Even if you leave Bilging in the middle of a league and hop back on to it soon after, it still maintains your last performance status in Bilging.

However, the bug is in the case where you quit Bilging during the actual Duty Report for a league. If you then come right back to Bilging after the next league starts up, your icon is immediately back down to "booched" brown, even if you were sparkling "Incredible" gold beforehand.

I'm not sure if your momentum is being dropped instantly to zero, and you're having to build it back up again, or whether it's still actually in the Incredible range, and it takes the icon a few moves to "get back on track".

Regardless, it seems like a minor inconsistency that seems like a good candidate for a "last minute fix" before launch.

Lothy
Lothy[size=9], Senior Officer of the Free Radicals
Sailing under the Flag Plundered Hearts
[Dec 2, 2003 2:08:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Crystallina

Nononononono...I like that feature. Basically, when you quit and restart a puzzle, you reset the puzzle's score. So if you booch in one league, you can start over and do better next league.
Rapmasta26, in a surprisingly accurate assessment of many posters' attitude towards things:

PLEASE PEOPLE, IF YOU DONT AGREE DONT REPLY!!!!!!!!!!!

[Dec 2, 2003 2:15:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    YPP+Crystallina [Link]  Go to top 
Lallaria

Lothy wrote: 
Here's one Cleaver... I'm not sure if this is just a display discrepancy or an actual minor bug...

Pertaining to Bilging... from league to league, if you stay in the puzzle your little performance icon stays consistent.... (IE. If you're sparkling gold before the league point, you're sparkling gold AFTER the league point)

Even if you leave Bilging in the middle of a league and hop back on to it soon after, it still maintains your last performance status in Bilging.

However, the bug is in the case where you quit Bilging during the actual Duty Report for a league. If you then come right back to Bilging after the next league starts up, your icon is immediately back down to "booched" brown, even if you were sparkling "Incredible" gold beforehand.

I'm not sure if your momentum is being dropped instantly to zero, and you're having to build it back up again, or whether it's still actually in the Incredible range, and it takes the icon a few moves to "get back on track".

Regardless, it seems like a minor inconsistency that seems like a good candidate for a "last minute fix" before launch.

Lothy

That is actually the case with all duty puzzles. If you quit at the league point, yer momentum goes to zero. I'm fairly certain that's intended behavior (though it might not be intended that if ye quit out in the middle of the league, ye still get yer sparkler).

I assume it works this way because of the way scoring is set up. You get scores for leagues - generally the average of your icon behavior, I believe. This is why it's impossible to get an Incredible on the first league of sailing - ye can't get the sails up fast enough so that the low end start gets evened out by the better performance later.

In any case, when ye quit at a league point, and join back up again, the scoring system has no record of ye - so ye start at 0. If it's during a league, then the scoring system still knows where ye were - so ye keep the sparkle.
Lallaria
[size=10]Retired
[Dec 2, 2003 2:19:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Lallaria [Link]  Go to top 
Lothy

If they want to reset a puzzle score when you quit, I've got no problem with that really.... but it should be consistent across the board, not just with this one particular case scenario in Bilging...

Although, you'll get a lot of headaches from people who do a lot of jumping from puzzle to puzzle to puzzle when they're shorthanded on a ship and finding their ratings drop because they keep getting reset to Booched each time...

And if you booch a puzzle one league and want to start over, how does resetting the progress help you? If you booch, you're down around a score of "0", or whatever a stationary "brown" icon is. This bug resets the icon BACK to brown, no matter what it was. So if you booch, and quit and come back at a league point, you're STILL booched. This only hurts the people who were doing WELL, and get shot down to brown again.

Again, this may not be a bug at all, but rather a display oddity. But I thought I'd mention it to Cleaver and see if he deemed it worthy to look at. If not, hey that's fine.... the List is indeed Mighty, after all... ;)

Lothy

EDIT: (after reading Lallaria's post) Ok, I can certainly buy that, but why then do your progress icons stick around from league to league as long as you stay in the puzzle? That further perpetuates the "inconsistent" thing... and I guess I hadn't noticed it being the case for all the duty puzzles... if that's the case, then that's cool with me, as long as it's the same across the board.
Lothy[size=9], Senior Officer of the Free Radicals
Sailing under the Flag Plundered Hearts
[Dec 2, 2003 2:22:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lallaria

Lothy wrote: 

<snip>

EDIT: (after reading Lallaria's post) Ok, I can certainly buy that, but why then do your progress icons stick around from league to league as long as you stay in the puzzle? That further perpetuates the "inconsistent" thing... and I guess I hadn't noticed it being the case for all the duty puzzles... if that's the case, then that's cool with me, as long as it's the same across the board.

The puzzle remembers what your score was, but the scoring system starts over. If you quit the puzzle, then the puzzle forgets.

So there are two things that can remember your score:
1. Puzzle itself
2. The Scoring system

As long as you keep playing, your meter will stay consistent with how you have been and how you are doing. If you quit out, the puzzle checks with the scoring system to see what your last rating was, and throws that into your meter. (This is why quitting in sailing when you screw up mid league is generally a very bad idea. If you bingoed, the system won't remember that, it'll just remember that your score was Incredible. You'll drop down rather quickly if you don't pull off something really good, really quickly)

At least, I'm fairly certain that's how the system works - an OM can correct me if I'm wrong.

Now back to your regularly scheduled topic :-P
Lallaria
[size=10]Retired
[Dec 2, 2003 2:40:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Lallaria [Link]  Go to top 
quixmix

More fixes Reply to this Post

Sometimes when you enter a shoppe you aren't able to speak. Have to leave and come back.

Wierd graphics thing where if you are bunching up in the shoppekeepers desk corner at the tailor, the 3rd person disappears outside of the shoppe.

During some of the puzzles the ESC fails to function (mostly during the deuling bits when you Sea Battle) and you can't chat. The chat resumes function when the fight is over. Happens during some puzzles as well. Carp mostly.
Ace o' Hearts
Captain of The Last Exiles
[Dec 2, 2003 3:32:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Depends which shoppe you're in. In our ironmonger (SiB at ep) we can fit 3 in most times without weirdness, but a fourth will get into an unaccessable spot behind a box of cannonballs :) Sometimes the third person does that, too.
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Dec 2, 2003 5:41:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

I'd like to see the 'Lazing About' message (that now takes the place of 'Paused') knocked down a few font sizes. As it is, it's really obnoxious - maybe that's the point, to keep people from doing it, but it's distracting and annoying when I pause the puzzle for (IMO) good reason.
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Dec 2, 2003 6:01:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Crystallina

And if you booch a puzzle one league and want to start over, how does resetting the progress help you? If you booch, you're down around a score of "0", or whatever a stationary "brown" icon is. This bug resets the icon BACK to brown, no matter what it was. So if you booch, and quit and come back at a league point, you're STILL booched. This only hurts the people who were doing WELL, and get shot down to brown again.

Here's how I see it.

In sailing, you can either build up a good performance or a terrible one. If you've built up a terrible performance, when even Bingoes don't make the flag budge (it happens), you might want to start over, to get a fresh score.

Carpentry works the same way with building up performances; however, it's extremely easy to get the sparkling hammer in a few seconds, so starting over is beneficial if you fall behind to a Good or Fine.
Rapmasta26, in a surprisingly accurate assessment of many posters' attitude towards things:

PLEASE PEOPLE, IF YOU DONT AGREE DONT REPLY!!!!!!!!!!!

[Dec 2, 2003 11:02:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    YPP+Crystallina [Link]  Go to top 
joedigriz

Lag time for "Attack" button Reply to this Post

The time between pressing "Attack" and actual engaging is far too slow. If I'm puzzling, and a brigand appears on the far edge of the screen, he's "too far to engage". But if I don't click the "Attack" button literally the instant he is in range (whatever that is), it sits there and thinks for a while before attempting to actually engage. By which point, the "target has escaped". This happens literally all of the time, no matter how fast or slow the target ship is going, and no matter which direction. The only time it *doesn't* seem to lag is if I press it immediately after a battle to re-engage.

(And before anyone asks, no, it's not my connection or my computer.)
Garbuck - Red Mantis Scapegoat and Pretty Pretty Princess
[Dec 2, 2003 11:16:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jal_95    joedigriz [Link]  Go to top 
CrazyMorg

Re: Lag time for "Attack" button Reply to this Post

joedigriz wrote: 
The time between pressing "Attack" and actual engaging is far too slow. If I'm puzzling, and a brigand appears on the far edge of the screen, he's "too far to engage". But if I don't click the "Attack" button literally the instant he is in range (whatever that is), it sits there and thinks for a while before attempting to actually engage. By which point, the "target has escaped". This happens literally all of the time, no matter how fast or slow the target ship is going, and no matter which direction. The only time it *doesn't* seem to lag is if I press it immediately after a battle to re-engage.

(And before anyone asks, no, it's not my connection or my computer.)

this very same thing annoys me greatly as well, i hardly attack brigands now, i just let them hit me, b/c i hardly ever can

also, does every brigand have to go full speed, it makes it pretty difficult to chasem down
[Dec 2, 2003 1:48:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PhantomNuke

5. Clickable "go to this empty station" link when ordered to do something.

In response to a recent thread bump requesting that any station can be used to enter the puzzle (instead of having to find an unused one), I'd like to bump this option instead.

Some points raised against it were mostly focused around losing the last remaining sense of world. Points for it were that it's difficult to find stations in a hurry and this would make XOs' and jobbers' lives easier.

I think that giving the target player a link/button to automatically go to a free station of that type when sending them a direct order is a good solution, as it's a compromise that addresses both of the above concerns. It maintains the sense of world, as under normal conditions, you still need to find yourself a station and it helps to know where things are on a ship. It also makes it easier for jobbers to get to a station when they're given direct orders, which is usually when it's really important that it is done quickly. This makes life easier for them and those giving orders.

If all stations are taken, clicking the button should send a unique message, something like All x stations are taken, rather than the standard Someone is already working at that station, to prevent confusion.
Game Design: A place to hide all your posts from OOO employees.
[Dec 3, 2012 11:33:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Some points raised against it were mostly focused around losing the last remaining sense of world. Points for it were that it's difficult to find stations in a hurry and this would make XOs' and jobbers' lives easier.

I think that giving the target player a link/button to automatically go to a free station of that type when sending them a direct order is a good solution, as it's a compromise that addresses both of the above concerns.

I don't think "sense of world" is enough to ignore an idea that's good for the game. I think you can keep enough sense of world enough, in my opinion, by having the player's avatar move to the nearest open station, the same way that swabbies will move around when they're grabbing stations.

The problems I see with changing it so that you can only grab stations if XOed, is that, aside from giving OiC/XO either more headaches (as people wait for orders instead of hunting down stations) or a swelled head (as they think they've got to give orders-- we get enough whistle spam as it is from some people), is that it doesn't help the good jobbers who try to find stations without needing to be prodded. And those are the people who I want to feel nice and comfortable on my ships.

Oh, not to mention the nuisance factor of having someone order me to sail when I'm trying to find a carp station.

--------------
In my opinion, just make it so that the game will move you to an open station, and that is good.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Dec 3, 2012 3:08:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PhantomNuke

I don't think "sense of world" is enough to ignore an idea that's good for the game.

True enough, but I don't weigh the benefits of that particular change higher than what I feel would be lost. Personal opinion of course, especially with sense of world being 100% subjective.

I think you can keep enough sense of world enough, in my opinion, by having the player's avatar move to the nearest open station, the same way that swabbies will move around when they're grabbing stations.

Before or after they get their puzzle screen? One can already do this by selecting a station on the other end of the ship; their avatar will walk there, while they jump immediately into the station. It does break somewhat if they're not in the same part of a scene (separated by stairs), and it would continue to break in this way. Not that that doesn't need fixing.

<XO Stuff>

There are and there always will be bad XOs. Any powers you give them for good reasons will be abused by some people. I would expect people to use their judgement. Too much to ask from some people, I know, but I would prefer not to put user stupidity ahead of a useful feature.

In my opinion, just make it so that the game will move you to an open station, and that is good.

Perhaps it could instead: 1, check for open stations of the type, report on number remaining and their locations (scene name); 2, toggle an overlay which shows all stations of that type on the scene, and highlights free ones; 3, highlight the shortest route to a different scene that contains a free station, if none are available at their current location?
Game Design: A place to hide all your posts from OOO employees.
[Dec 3, 2012 3:25:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

I think you can keep enough sense of world enough, in my opinion, by having the player's avatar move to the nearest open station, the same way that swabbies will move around when they're grabbing stations.

Before or after they get their puzzle screen? One can already do this by selecting a station on the other end of the ship; their avatar will walk there, while they jump immediately into the station. It does break somewhat if they're not in the same part of a scene (separated by stairs), and it would continue to break in this way. Not that that doesn't need fixing.

That's roughly what I was thinking, though my perception was your character moving towards the foraging pillars in CI while you're rushed into the game.

Perhaps it could instead: 1, check for open stations of the type, report on number remaining and their locations (scene name); 2, toggle an overlay which shows all stations of that type on the scene, and highlights free ones; 3, highlight the shortest route to a different scene that contains a free station, if none are available at their current location?

If you absolutely have to, I would go with (2).

Actually, as I think about it, I would go with whichever of those solutions is easier to program. While making stationing easy is something that would be nice, I don't think it's something that needs extra time for perfect polishing. Quick and dirty effective is just fine.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Edit 2 times, last edit by xelto at Dec 3, 2012 3:50:34 PM]
[Dec 3, 2012 3:48:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 106   Pages: 4   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates