• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 106
Posts: 106   Pages: 4   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 9505 times and has 105 replies Next Thread
Dragonlilly

Re: "To Fix" List Reply to this Post

Kendaer wrote: 
3) Allow a non-rated mode (with 2 cannons)? (I can see this as a potential for abuse where someone gets their ratings high and then just plays non-rated :/)

Okay, the points that you bring up are justifiable to want two cannons back. Though I think having it unrated would cause many to abuse the puzzle. I propose allowing only sloops to have 2 cannons. It would allow for those that absolutly cannot do the puzzle any other way to enjoy this part of the game.
----------------------------------------
Dragonlilly, Captain of SDTC
A very much retired old sea salt! Or would that be sea saltess?
Shanty Raid-io!
[Nov 23, 2003 4:51:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://dragonlilly.shantyraidio.com    srdragonlilly    SO+Dragonlilly    101380420 [Link]  Go to top 
Kendaer

Amberyl wrote: 
This might be a speed-of-computer issue.

I find it extremely difficult, even at my Able rating, to separate pieces (though I haven't tried the latest 4-cannon incarnation). It requires split-second timing of the placement of arrows, and it seems like there's a bit of a lag of response between my mouse click and the arrow placement.

My computer is a RH 9 linux box with a 1.0 G processor and 768M of memory.

I don't have lag between mouse click and arrow placement, and the speed of the puzzle seems to be about the same as on my wifes (similar computer, lesser video card) and my housemates (slower computer overall) -- and yes, comparing speed of similar ratings, so I don't believe this to be a computer speed issue, I believe it to be a puzzle difficulty issue when complicated by physical factors.
Moonchilde
Ex-Captain of Innocent, Buckler of Swashes and all around Gentleman Pirate
[Nov 23, 2003 4:53:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.allbutmalice.org    jttraub@yahoo.com    Kendaer [Link]  Go to top 
Kendaer

Dragonlilly wrote: 
Kendaer wrote: 
3) Allow a non-rated mode (with 2 cannons)? (I can see this as a potential for abuse where someone gets their ratings high and then just plays non-rated :/)

Okay, the points that you bring up are justifiable to want two cannons back. Though I think having it unrated would cause many to abuse the puzzle. I propose allowing only sloops to have 2 cannons. It would allow for those that absolutly cannot do the puzzle any other way to enjoy this part of the game.

I could go for this since most of the time that I'd be on a larger ship one of my crew who is better capable of gunning than myself would be on to do it.
Moonchilde
[Nov 23, 2003 4:55:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.allbutmalice.org    jttraub@yahoo.com    Kendaer [Link]  Go to top 
IcabobFreely

Dragonlilly, you posted some interesting comments and admittedly they didn't sount too malicious as many replies do. What I ment with the 2 cannon puzzle is that some people can't do the the 4 or 6 cannon puzzle. Challenge is instramental in any game, but making them next to impossible for even a few isn't good. I am merely stating my personal opinion and the opinions of many I've talked to that prefer not to post in here or lack the time to do so. Many I've talked to enjoied the game before all the upgrades, and don't feel that they would've lost interest.
I suppose the "nintendo generation" possess the hand to eye cordination to master and excel at most of the puzzles within a few seconds. I'm speaking for the older crowd that didn't grow up with a controller in their hands. I personally do fine with the puzzles, but if I didn't speak up with my opinions and that of others, no one would.
Icabob of The Midnight Sun
And remember...
When you're having a really bad day, it takes 42 muscles to frown and only 4 muscles to extend your finger and flip them off.
[Nov 23, 2003 5:05:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    IcaTheBadOne [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

Heck, I am a member of the Nintendo generation (actually, I consider myself an Atari 2600 guy :) ) and I can't load more than two cannons with any kind of speed or consistency. This change effectively shuts me out of gunnery.
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Nov 23, 2003 5:36:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Slummock

thread hi-jacking in progress... Reply to this Post

Kendaer wrote: 
1) slow down the speed of the puzzle even further dependant on skill (IE, set it slow enough at 'able' that I can at least play the puzzle there -- I don't really care if my skill improves, I just want to be able to *do* it)

this seems sensible, it works with naving i think.
it'd be hard to get the balance right so that you couldn't actualy gun faster when it was going slow though, like, finding the optimum speed for different skilled people so that diliberately booching the puzzle to get a slower speed wouldnt mean that good people could gun faster.
Glub (again)
[Nov 23, 2003 5:40:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dragonlilly

IcabobFreely wrote: 
I suppose the "nintendo generation" possess the hand to eye cordination to master and excel at most of the puzzles within a few seconds. I'm speaking for the older crowd that didn't grow up with a controller in their hands. I personally do fine with the puzzles, but if I didn't speak up with my opinions and that of others, no one would.

While yes I did play nintendo when I was younger (only the Mario and Zelda games, so I didn't grow up with a controler in my hand), YPP is the first game I have played with any consistancy. So your "nintendo generation" scape goat doesn't fly. Also your complaints, are just that, complaints. There are some including myself that can't sword fight well but hey I am not bugging the devs to make swordfighting easier. So most of us aren't great at all of the puzzles, big deal, that is why there is variety. /rant
Dragonlilly, Captain of SDTC
A very much retired old sea salt! Or would that be sea saltess?
Shanty Raid-io!
[Nov 23, 2003 6:13:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://dragonlilly.shantyraidio.com    srdragonlilly    SO+Dragonlilly    101380420 [Link]  Go to top 
54x

No need to be talking about scapegoats... these duty puzzles need to be 'poor'able by all, as they are essential parts of running a ship. If the slowest speeds need to be made a bit slower so that people who can't click at lightspeed can play, then so be it, as long, as slummock pointed out, it doesn't let the cheaters abuse the lower ratings.

It might also be helpful to have the able boards generate with minimal obstacles on them. This way people can get used to the more basic aspects of gunning at a gentler speed, and then move along as they get better at it, or their reaction times improve.
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Nov 23, 2003 9:16:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
IcabobFreely

Very well thought out DB. I myself do very well with 4 cannons, I've found that there are many who just can't do it, or not very well. There are alot of things I could "complain" about but I'm trying not to in order offer my opinions and the opinions of others that have expressed concern.
As to fixes I am still hearing that many want the 2 cannon puzzle back. That the PoE given in sea battle by brigands needs to be scaled up a bit.
And a few other things that i'll address when I've thought out a way of explaining that doesn't sound like a rant or complaining. I'd much rather offer information in an organized manner.
And remember...
When you're having a really bad day, it takes 42 muscles to frown and only 4 muscles to extend your finger and flip them off.
[Nov 23, 2003 9:30:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    IcaTheBadOne [Link]  Go to top 
Slummock

maybe a split is in order, unless no-one has any small fixes Reply to this Post

looks like they've changed it so there are less dead ends now, if so then; big up for the devs!

/em pushes the ceiling

ultimate here i come...

edit: i think that i just got lucky for a few rounds... oh well
Glub (again)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Slummock at Nov 23, 2003 10:44:19 AM]
[Nov 23, 2003 10:44:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vexorg

One other thing I thought of that needs fixing: The bug in the sailing puzzle that if you make a line including a solid block just below a platform, the blocks on the platform can fall through. Doesn't come up often, but I'm pretty sure that's not intended bahavior.
Vexorg: Apparently still in some crew somewhere, Midnight
(May actually exist)
Yee: No, it's not a breakfast cereal.
AtteSmythe wrote: 
Mmm, community-built hype. Better than the real thing, with less work!

[Nov 24, 2003 3:25:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Yes, I know I'd like to see platforms unable to be fallen through no matter what. (that is, until their target is finished :) )
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Nov 24, 2003 7:29:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
IcabobFreely

Another of the items that need to be fixed is the time that Gems disappear. My wife had bought 7 gems and our connection went down for 15 minutes. When we got the connection back up all the gems were gone from her hold.
That sounds like a complaint, but what I mean is that there should be a longer period of time before the gems get stolen from a ship. This would at least allow someone whose internet connection goes down a little more time in order to at least save their investment.
And remember...
[Nov 26, 2003 3:58:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    IcaTheBadOne [Link]  Go to top 
Claudia

Cleaver wrote: 
Falgor wrote: 
i think the biggest bug that bothers me is the one connected to getting challenged to a drinking or swordfighting puzzle. someone challenges me to a puzzle, and i hit the 'inspect' button. little did i know, the person canceled the challenge in the meantime, and i am left with the internal error message that cannot be closed to get it off my screen. it took me some time to figure out how to work around this without logging off and back on to get rid of that message on the screen. now whenever it happens i keep playing, but the 'soandso has challenged you to a game of skill' message is forever on my 'ahoy' board.

Umm, I can't reproduce this. When someone cancels a challenge my Ahoy! panel goes away.

This happens to me too. My suspicion is that it is very timing-sensitive: it happens if they cancel *after* you click "inspect".

I had one challenge hang around for hours until I logged out. Very annoying.
Utena of Revolutionary Crew Utena
[Nov 26, 2003 4:09:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
svarog

Lincoln lincoln i've been thinkin' Reply to this Post

So . . . the drinking puzzle needs a little love before launch. And might be one of the few real bugs i can think of.

If the puzzle is started and someone bows out, the game can't be completed by passing out . . . the board needs to be completed. This should be changed so that the game can be completed as such.
[Nov 26, 2003 4:14:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

54x wrote: 
No need to be talking about scapegoats... these duty puzzles need to be 'poor'able by all, as they are essential parts of running a ship. If the slowest speeds need to be made a bit slower so that people who can't click at lightspeed can play, then so be it, as long, as slummock pointed out, it doesn't let the cheaters abuse the lower ratings.

/em puts on a nice coat in preparation for being coldly dismissive

I disagree. At some point (well, ok, at many points), the developers will have to decide not to stretch the game to accommodate a sector of the public. Maybe this one of those points and maybe it isn't, but I'm wondering why a puzzle that distinguishes itself by being the most reflex-based has to have the one thing that makes it challenging at all removed, or toned down to the point that the only "real" measure of success (getting them loaded) has to be achievable no matter how utterly terrible you are at the puzzle?

Remember what it was like to have the slider all the way to the left? The puzzle was not even a puzzle . . . ANYONE could load the cannons. The thing that makes it a puzzle at all is thinking (and clicking) quickly enough to load them. If you can't do it, then you need to be able to pay somebody who can.

Let's pretend there are two players who consistently fail to do a certain puzzle well. In fact, they regularly booch it. One player booches the puzzle because he or she doesn't "get it" . . . does fine on other puzzles, but that one just does not make sense. The logic escapes this unlucky pirate, and no amount of explanation or practice seems to help. Some other people are in the same boat, so to speak, but it's a small number, and the rest of the game is fine.

The other pirate, sadly, has metal hooks for hands. This pirate can type and puzzle, but THIS ONE PUZZLE is too much. The hooks are somewhat heavy, and the pirate has trouble moving them fast enough to accomplish the puzzle. No amount of practice will help, and there's nothing that can be done about the hooks. There are some other pirates out there with disabilities that prevent them from doing this puzzle too, but it's a small number, and they're good with the rest of the game.

I think most people here would laugh pirate number one out of the forum if he or she suggested that the puzzle be made easier for them to understand . . . yet here folks are advocating that the puzzle be made easier for everyone in the ocean in order to accommodate a small population unable to do the one fast-twitch puzzle in the game.

I'm not suggesting cold dismissal of the problems caused by physical disabilities; accommodations that simply make it possible for people with certain issues to be able to compete (without affecting the rest of the ocean) is an easier decision, like making ship ring colors have some other indicator for those who are colorblind. Giving the reflex-oriented puzzle a reflexectomy affects the entire ocean, and degrades the puzzle.

I (personally, and it's a good time to remind folks that I have no connection with the game's creation) think if you can't do just one particular puzzle AND lots of other people can AND the only solution is to just make it easier, then that is your problem, and not the game's.

Cold? Yeah, I guess.

Back on track: what needs to be fixed?

Really, the flag pages. People keep getting left off, and when there's a lot more people, that's going to be one of the ways our new folks learn about their flag. Also, the weirdness where new crews invited in sometimes have a bloddless coup and replace the monarch instantly and automatically. Not good!

Otherwise, I've thought the game had a launchable feature-set a long time ago, though with the price point (remember, we were thinking $5 < price < $15 before) the expectations will be higher. As long as new things keep coming, and the majority of those things are not ucky things like decay and taxes, I think it's ready to go.
[Nov 26, 2003 5:47:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Kendaer

homullus wrote: 

I (personally, and it's a good time to remind folks that I have no connection with the game's creation) think if you can't do just one particular puzzle AND lots of other people can AND the only solution is to just make it easier, then that is your problem, and not the game's.

Cold? Yeah, I guess.

Hom, I usually agree with you, but on this one issue, I'm sorry, but I think you're out in left field.

There is a difference between being able to 'do a puzzle at all' and 'do a puzzle well enough to get good ranks'. I have *absolutely* no problem with remaining 'able' at gunning. However, it is a NECESSITY to be able to load guns in order to be able to win a decent percentage of battles, especially if you happen to be out semi-solo because your crew isn't around (semi solo meaning by yourself or with newbies). Without being able to gun in those situations, you are better off staying on shore and chatting, which while I enjoy isn't what I necessarily want to be doing. All I (and I believe others) are asking for is for the *bottom-most* speed to be such that we are capable of doing it. If you are better, your speed will increase and you will pan out at your level of competance. Right now however, our 'level of compentance' (well mine at least) is below even the slowest speed. [When we had the old slider my level of competance on the 2 gun puzzle was about 3/8 of the way from the bottom -- for the 4 gun it was closer to 3 or 4/16th of the way].

However, there are people who were even worse off than I am/was in that regard, so I would really start the absolutely slowest speed down where the old slider speed used to start and ramp up from there. That would give the maximal amount of people the ability to play the puzzle AND since speed would increase with rankings would level off at each person's ability and that's where they'd be.. They wouldn't be able to get ultimate at the slow speed.

Given that this suggestion doesn't HURT the game (in that high rankings still mean high speed/high skill) AND that it allows the puzzle to be accessible to more people, why the heck are you opposed to it?
Moonchilde
[Nov 26, 2003 6:05:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.allbutmalice.org    jttraub@yahoo.com    Kendaer [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Gunnery Reply to this Post

We've slowed it down every further for people of low rank. See if that helps. We do want all the puzzles to be playable by everyone, but gunnery is certainly the twitchiest and also it's intended to be difficult. Heh, maybe we should just make it blow up in your face instead. Hrm, it's an idea.

Stay on target, please people, stay on target. What needs to be fixed.

BTW No swords last less than a month. Nothing lasts less than a month.
[Nov 26, 2003 6:35:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
guppie

I have to put in my two cents for an on deck duty report at league points, not just in puzzles. Many times my ships is to full speed, and I'm watching radar for targets when we hit league point. I get no feedback on how my sailors, carps, etc are doing to know if someone might need help, or to decide if they are just using me for a free ride.

I shouldn't have to be in the puzzle all the time to see this information.
Jinia ~a puzzled pirate since Sept 2003.
Retired Captain of the Crazed Mob
Retired Princess of Cold Steel
First and Former Governor of Wrasse
Beginning a new life on Sage!
[Nov 26, 2003 6:48:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    kwewing@yahoo.com [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Given that this suggestion doesn't HURT the game (in that high rankings still mean high speed/high skill) AND that it allows the puzzle to be accessible to more people, why the heck are you opposed to it?

Left field? Quite possibly. I'm also pretty good at admitting when I'm wrong, when I've been convinced that is the case . . .

. . . but I'm not convinced at this point.

Basically, I don't think it was a puzzle at its slowest speed before . . . that's why I'm opposed to it. The only "puzzley" part was figuring out what to do if you didn't get the pieces you needed, but with an even distribution, that's not a factor either.

Keep in mind I'm not some super-gunner looking down at other folks from some position of superiority. Because I do it so seldom, it's probably my worst puzzle right now, and I'm not top-10 anything. But I actually don't buy the "can't do it" stuff. If you have a line of four pieces close together whizzing by your eager cannon, and it's too hard to get the timing right to split off the piece you want, you don't try! Split up that group of 4 somewhere else away from the cannon, and wait for the pieces to come by singly. Yeah, it'll take a lot more time, but if the idea is that people be able to load them AT ALL over any period of time, I don't see how the fastest puzzle in the world would prevent that, given enough time and a willingness to break away from the way you used to do it when you could make it pokey.

Ok, I'm done.
[Nov 26, 2003 6:52:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
54x

I'm definately in agreement that it would be possible to make the puzzle too easy. I do think that there is probably a bit more room before this happens and we have people purposely booching in order to get the slow puzzle. I see both of your arguements, but I think the puzzle can afford to be slowed down a little at the lower end before it becomes unbalanced.

And yes, I do think that the lower ranks should still be able to have some positive effect in every critical puzzle- that is, carpentry, gunnery, and sailing. Bilging, navigating, and the crafting puzzles are all non-essential, and as such I would find it appropriate that there would be people unable to master these skills. Even if it takes a person a league worth of booched to load one cannon, I think that it should still be possible for them to do it.
from Midnight.
[Nov 26, 2003 7:22:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Vexorg

guppie wrote: 
I have to put in my two cents for an on deck duty report at league points, not just in puzzles. Many times my ships is to full speed, and I'm watching radar for targets when we hit league point. I get no feedback on how my sailors, carps, etc are doing to know if someone might need help, or to decide if they are just using me for a free ride.

I shouldn't have to be in the puzzle all the time to see this information.

Yes, this could be put in the "Ahoy" tab if the commanding officer is not at a duty station.
Vexorg: Apparently still in some crew somewhere, Midnight
(May actually exist)
Yee: No, it's not a breakfast cereal.
AtteSmythe wrote: 
Mmm, community-built hype. Better than the real thing, with less work!

[Nov 26, 2003 7:37:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Slummock

problem is; lots of people (most?) will be able to take advantage of slower speeds to load faster, the only reason i gunned fast with the slider is so that i didnt have to wait for peices. think i might create an alt to test the slow for able and see if i'm right. maybe not many people will bother if its only for able ranked people.

my nav comparison doesnt stand up as you get significantly less points for a simple constellation but a loaded cannon is a loaded cannon.

um, cant think of anything to be fixed...
Glub (again)
[Nov 26, 2003 8:04:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jewles

Just thought of a nice little bug to fix before launch.

In the carpentry puzzle the last board you placed has a bluish border around it until you pick up the next board indicating that you can pick it back up and adjust it slightly in case you placed it wrong. The bug is if you hit a league point then when you come back to the puzzle you can't move that piece anymore. It's not likely that you miss placed a board just before the league point but very annoying when it happens.
[Dec 1, 2003 7:01:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Phwibbles

Sorry if some of these are booched.

(1) As Jewles said above, fix the carp bug. When you reach a league point after setting a piece down, you can't pick it back up. By instinct I now stop what I'm doing whenever I see a league point in the carpentry window, and don't start setting pieces again until after it's been passed.

(2) Brigands should have swill and grog along with rum. This would make people less spoiled when it comes to what they drink (and what are brigands doing with nothing but the finest alcohol anyways?). Being able to prioritize what one drinks would be nice, too. Currently the cheapest rum is consumed first, but we should be able to reverse that, especially if swill & grog can be won from brigands.

(3) Keep the sailing puzzle board after docking, if that person stays at the station, much the same as league points. It can be annoying being one of the "little guys" just trying to learn how to sail when an officer pulls in to port for 10 seconds to forage, ruining whatever set-up you had.

(4) View sword patterns in the shop, maybe?

(5) Things on the rack shouldn't age. Pre-making clothing is now a big risk/gamble for tailors.

(6) Player-posted job offers should somehow be emphasized over the Navy ones on the notice board. (In anticipation of the newbie influx) [EDIT: Okay, maybe that's not such a good idea.]

(7) On the first login, have the island-view map flash to draw players' attention to it, or automatically expand it when they get off the first ship. You don't know how long I was WALKING around islands trying to find places before I realized I could click up there.

(8) Flag chat/broadcast, crew bank accounts, Flag and/or SHOP ISSUES. The crew issues screen is where my crew talks about what was purchased for our shop, so not everyone orders fine navy cloth all at the same time. But we have managers under different crews as well, so communications is a problem.

(9) An "Are you sure?" RE-confirmation when joining another crew before leaving your current one (or a completely different looking screen from the normal Jobbing Ahoy panel). Because there is no flag chat, we often have to job flagmates into our crew so they can hear our banter. But recently someone accidentally invited rather than jobbed a captain under our flag into our crew, and, well, it was not good. . .

(9) I would really like to know, as I'm sure all shop managers/owners would, just how much money in my shop is going to employees. It stinks waking up the next morning and finding many thousands of poe less than what was there before in the shop hold and having to wonder "is someone embezzling, or are we really paying this much to employees?" As a shop manager, I want to know where every single one of the PoE in my crew's shop is going (shop logs?).

(9b) To expand upon #9, I would also like to see how much was payed for orders in the Manage Orders tab in shops. The current amount of financial information managers and shop owners are provided is atrocious; don't we have accountants?

(9c) I should be able to order things for my shop FROM my shop, so that everyone can see the orders in the Manage Inventory screen, and duplicate orders are not made (everyone goes out and orders the same thing).

(10) Here's a biggie: I should be able to put an entry for items in my shops Manage Prices screen without having to buy one of that item first. For example, if I want to start reselling rum (or things. . .much more rare), I currently have to buy 1 rum off the commodities market. Not good. [EDIT: Don't tart; I know you can also have things delivered to the shop.]

(11) If a person is in a sea battle that results in a loss, I don't think they should be credited with a star in the booty division screen. More importantly, the division should be based on how much was earned for each battle. For example: me and a friend go out red-hunting and manage to win and take 1,000 PoE in a fight. We decide to head back to town, and on the way back a third person joins, where we are attacked by a green-blue just before hitting port, and we win a measly 300 PoE. The third person should only get 100 PoE.
Bifnot, second king of The Jolly Company
First Governor of the Midnight Ocean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Phwibbles at Dec 1, 2003 8:24:45 AM]
[Dec 1, 2003 8:24:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SCHALAAY

Phwibbles wrote: 

(2) Brigands should have swill and grog along with rum. This would make people less spoiled when it comes to what they drink (and what are brigands doing with nothing but the finest alcohol anyways?). Being able to prioritize what one drinks would be nice, too. Currently the cheapest rum is consumed first, but we should be able to reverse that, especially if swill & grog can be won from brigands.

The vast majority of people sailed with Fine Rum prior to the distillery puzzle. All the goods you pillage from brigands (save krakens blood) come from their pillaging of player ships. If no-one sails with Swill, then they'll have no swill.

As for the rest there, I dont think they're "fix in the next seven days or else" types of problems. (except maybe that carp bug) In my opinion, at least.

/me shrugs
[Dec 1, 2003 8:28:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nicuss

Ship logs! With the coming colonization it could be devastating for a crew or flag to have an officer unload their galleon(s) on the market and pocket the money with no trace left behind. We've experienced this already, although on a small scale luckily.
[Dec 1, 2003 9:46:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
akebia

Nemo's said that brigand payout was scaled to help crews make a profit after paying for rum and shot. The distilling game has caused some fluctuation in the rum market, and I don't know how the prices will settle. I think a "must fix" is to secretly tweak the brigands to account for this change... although you're probably already secretly doing that now.
[Dec 1, 2003 11:36:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
quixmix

Cleaver wrote: 
Falgor wrote: 
i think the biggest bug that bothers me is the one connected to getting challenged to a drinking or swordfighting puzzle. someone challenges me to a puzzle, and i hit the 'inspect' button. little did i know, the person canceled the challenge in the meantime, and i am left with the internal error message that cannot be closed to get it off my screen. it took me some time to figure out how to work around this without logging off and back on to get rid of that message on the screen. now whenever it happens i keep playing, but the 'soandso has challenged you to a game of skill' message is forever on my 'ahoy' board.

Umm, I can't reproduce this. When someone cancels a challenge my Ahoy! panel goes away.

The way to best reproduce it is to go idle for a few minutes on Alpha docks. Not long enough to be logged off, but long enough for requests to pile and your client to lag. I felt the client lags more then in WinXP I press Control + Alt + Delete and lock the computer at the login screen. If I come back 2 minutes later and I am not logged out, then someone has challenged me, the Ahoy thing stays until I basicly log out. Happened MANY MANY times, and is annoying.
Ace o' Hearts
Captain of The Last Exiles
[Dec 2, 2003 12:20:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
quixmix

hollowluke wrote: 
A method for letting an officer on deck see how the duty puzzlers are performing would be exceptionally useful when dealing with all the new pollywoggers. I'm not sure if it qualifies as a little fix, but in my opinion it would [JM] help us help them. [/JM]

In regards to noobs and such. I think there should be some kind of new rating, instead of Booched, like Lazing About. The reason I say this is, Incredible Ben's post gave me the idea. In the Booched picture he is sleeping at the puzzle. Now, I know that even I myself have problems with the puzzles, and I booch them even if I am trying my damndest not to. Especially sailing which is not a cummulatively rated puzzle, but an "of the moment" rating. However there are those who don't do anything and JUST IDLE on the puzzles and they get Booched.

Personally I feel this is necessary to train noobs so we can distinguish between scolding someone for Lazing on a puzzle or someone who does try but, Booches anyway.
Ace o' Hearts
Captain of The Last Exiles
[Dec 2, 2003 12:26:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 106   Pages: 4   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates