• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 250
Posts: 250   Pages: 9   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 50428 times and has 249 replies Next Thread
tcarr

Re: Puzzle Codename: Pickerel (play on GameGardens!) Reply to this Post

Yes, I will do some more polishing but probably not drastic changes, and submit in round 2. I probably won't do any coding until mid May, but I'll try to think of something interesting to add for the high-end players. I think it's pretty good as is for beginners and "skilled labor" type players but it is lacking something for the Legendary+ levels.
----------------------------------------
LordKalvan of Otherwhen, all oceans but mostly Midnight
[Apr 10, 2007 12:36:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

I love Pickerel the way it is but here are some random possibilities:

A tray randomizer
  • Could be either manual or triggered by an event
  • Could be available at the beginning or randomly appear
    Possible outcomes:
  • The tray is emptied and refilled.
  • The colors stay but the numbers are redistributed.
  • One color is randomly removed from the tray, replaced by the others.

Maybe something that will either add a new spool color (make the level harder) or take one away (make it easier) but the player doesn't know which it will be.

The ability to set one loom aside, but when you come back to it, you have to make a square or all is wasted.

Turning the loom and weaving through the color already there. So a 5x4 patch becomes a 4x5 patch, but you have to weave through the whole patch or it is all wasted.

Patterns made of perfect rows or the turned loom. I imagine this as being something like a sea donkey in bilge - I don't purposely set them up from scratch but if I notice I have three of one piece and two of another in a row, I start looking to see if one can be made.
    Pletoo of Sage
  • [Apr 29, 2007 8:06:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    tcarr

Thanks for the ideas. The tray randomizer sounds interesting... I think I like the idea of just taking the spools in the tray and scrambling the colors and numbers around.

I've also been thinking about allowing multiple colors on the loom at the same time. If you make a perfect row, then you can switch colors. Then we could have a bonus for a striped pattern (two colors, alternating rows).
    [Apr 29, 2007 8:16:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    tcarr

I'm currently focusing on Mackerel as the new and improved Pickerel. I'm not sure if I'll polish Pickerel for round 2 or just let it drop. For reference, the Pickerel Feedback thread is here

Mackerel proposal is here.
    [May 1, 2007 7:19:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    CraftingProj

I'm attempting to update the status board. Are you planning any further polishing of Pickerel, or is the current version the final one?
    [Jun 18, 2007 10:54:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    tcarr

At this point, I am half expecting to withdraw Pickerel from round 2 - but I might change my mind. Please keep it as Phase 5 for now. Thankee!
    [Jun 18, 2007 12:09:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Serinno

..........Pickerel Weaving.............
    Dirrections seemed simple and easy, though still couldnt figure out the wild bead. lol. the widening of the wheel, wasted thread, and so forth are great ideas. Addicting yes. Fun, yes. I would like to see this puzzle worked on more, tweaked so to say, and on to the next stage.
    Laike
    O of Sharper Wit
    (Malachite Ocean)

Lucipher
    SO of Odin's Demise
    (Hunter Ocean)

"Killed on Turn, Buried on River." -Lucipher
    [Jul 19, 2007 8:42:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    laikeship@yahoo.com [Link]  Go to top 
    Patetch

You know, I really like playing Pickerel, and I am still looking forward to seeing Mackerel and playing with the changes. :D
    Pletoo of Sage
    [Jul 20, 2007 8:29:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    tcarr

Mackerel is a distinct improvement over Pickerel. I am withdrawing the Pickerel project from Round 2. Craftingproj, please update the status board, at your convenience. (and yes, Mackerel will be Phase 6 by the code freeze deadline, but not quite yet. I want one more version uploaded first.)
    [Aug 13, 2007 12:35:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    CraftingProj

done.
    [Aug 16, 2007 5:55:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Posts: 250   Pages: 9   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 | Last Page]
    [Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates