• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 14
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 8895 times and has 13 replies Next Thread
Oceanus
OceanMaster

Useful YPPedia Links Reply to this Post

This will be a collection of relevant links to the YPPedia:

Main Page
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Grand_Crafting_Puzzle_Project

http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Grand_Crafting_Puzzle_Project/Sign-Up

Template for Submissions
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Template:Grand_Crafting_Puzzle_Project

Existing Puzzle Information
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Crafting_Puzzle_Dimensions
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Puzzle#Crafting_Puzzles

Technical Help
Wiki Tutorials
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Category:Howto
Game Gardens Forums
http://forums.gamegardens.com/discussion/mvnforum/listforums

Misc.
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Category:Grand_Crafting_Puzzle_Project
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Crafting_puzzles_%28Idea_Links%29
----------------------------------------

wow, I always wanted to talk to an OM without being in trouble

[Edit 7 times, last edit by Oceanus at Aug 22, 2006 11:49:50 AM]
[Aug 22, 2006 11:25:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

Re: Useful YPPedia Links Reply to this Post

Thank you so much, Oceanus! Once again, you're my god in shining armor!
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Aug 22, 2006 12:14:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xXPyro69Xx

Suppose we love YPP. We play plenty and enjoy it greatly. We would LOVE to help with creating a new puzzle for the game itself. Yet, we have the knowledge of Computer Science I and have no artistic talents.

What can I that person do to help?

One does not need to have more than a passing knowledge of the history of Viridian and Hunter to see what could be. I assure you, I know more than you having not set foot on Hunter on a main in months.

[Aug 22, 2006 5:42:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

Once we get a few designs submitted, we're going to need a lot of feedback on them. We want to break them in our heads to figure out how to prevent that breakage once it's built. So design some stuff, look at other people's designs, and tell everyone what you think of them!

Those things will have places and methods for doing so very soon. Just as soon as we hammer out just what's necessary to get this thing really moving.
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Aug 22, 2006 6:07:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

Quick notes on YPPedia contributions:

- If something's just giving you a hard time and you're getting super-frustrated, stop. Save the page, even if it's broken, and add "{{helpme}}" to it somewhere. That sets up a special template and lets us know that you need help with something. If you get a good helper, they might even drop off some tips or notes on your talk page for future reference.

- Read your talk page. It's hard to miss it (you'll get a great big orange "OMG U HAV MESSIGES!" box whenever you've got new messages), and it's where people will leave you love notes, instructions, brownie recipes, and other such things. If you want to get to it when you don't have new messages, just scroll to the top of any page when you're logged in, and click the link that says "my messages".

- Preview. Preview preview preview. Preview? Preview. Always preview before you save. The administrators and other editors depend on a recent changes list in order to moderate new contributions to the YPPedia. If you save your page 20 times to fix minor spelling and grammar errors, it clogs it up, and that just ties up administrators who, trust me, would much rather be helping you than approving new content.

Phew. Good luck and enjoy!
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Edit 3 times, last edit by ponytailguy at Aug 23, 2006 3:13:39 AM]
[Aug 23, 2006 3:01:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bia
OceanMaster

If you want to discuss the contents of an entry, do it on the talk page.

At the risk of perhaps being a bit heavy handed, I am not really in favor of this. With a project as broad as this, discussion can often cover a number of subjects, and thus will cover a number of pages.

Part of the reason for creating this forum was so that discussion about the project can be gathered in one place. It allows us to create a separate thread for every single design posted, and then anyone who wishes to discuss entries can do so quite quickly, just by browsing the list of threads.

We had an early discussion with Fiddler and he pointed out that discussion on the YPPedia should be related to YPPedia things (such as page linking, formatting, and so forth). The forums can be used to discuss the ideas.

In short, the YPPedia allows us to better organise the project while the forums allow us to better discuss the project.
[Aug 23, 2006 3:09:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

If you want to discuss the contents of an entry, do it on the talk page.

At the risk of perhaps being a bit heavy handed, I am not really in favor of this. With a project as broad as this, discussion can often cover a number of subjects, and thus will cover a number of pages.

Part of the reason for creating this forum was so that discussion about the project can be gathered in one place. It allows us to create a separate thread for every single design posted, and then anyone who wishes to discuss entries can do so quite quickly, just by browsing the list of threads.

We had an early discussion with Fiddler and he pointed out that discussion on the YPPedia should be related to YPPedia things (such as page linking, formatting, and so forth). The forums can be used to discuss the ideas.

In short, the YPPedia allows us to better organise the project while the forums allow us to better discuss the project.
Fair enough. My meaning by that message was to say "Please don't butcher the entry pages with byzantine notes about why it rocks/sucks/is mediocre", my fault for missing the plot.

Edit: Paragraph gone!
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ponytailguy at Aug 23, 2006 3:14:11 AM]
[Aug 23, 2006 3:12:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

I put the piece art from the old crafting placeholder puzzle on the YPPedia, in case people might want to use it. (This was Salmon's suggestion.)
[Aug 24, 2006 9:54:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

I made multiple sizes of generic images, so I put them all on the Wiki. http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Generic_Puzzle_Images

Oh, and if any of you can tag that Grand Crafting without summoning a huge template, feel free to!
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Aug 26, 2006 4:46:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
lorkiria

Not exactly a wiki link, but I just wanted to mention something about images and the wiki.

There are currently 6,062 files that've been uploaded to YPPedia, so you can imagine that a little organization by way of image tagging & good image naming practices is mighty helpful.

To this end, please try to do the following two things:

Name your images GCPP-codename-whateverfilename.extension (replace the bolded italicized parts with the appropriate things and the extension of the image types accepted by the wiki include jpg, gif and png)

Please tag your image by putting {{grand crafting image}} in the upload summary. The upload summary field will only update the image's page when you initially upload the image. If you want to change the notes on the page after the initial upload, you will need to click on the "edit" tab while viewing the file's page.

I also wanted to mention that it's possible to reupload images if you update/change them. If after you reupload the image it doesn't look like it's displaying the new one, it's probably a browser cache issue. Before you reupload your reupload or try clicking on revert, go to the page for your image file. Below the image there should be a line of text like "GCPP-codename-filename.jpg (10KB, MIME type: image/jpg)." Click on the image name (it should be a blue link) and then hit refresh or reload in your browser to get it to recache the image.

If you have an image you want deleted because you used the wrong name or whatever, just go the the file's page, click on the "edit" tab and put {{delete}} in there. An admin will notice it and zap it for you.

I hope this helps!

- Guppy
"There is no salvation in becoming adapted to a world which is crazy." - Henry Miller
[Edit 1 times, last edit by lorkiria at Aug 28, 2006 9:50:08 PM]
[Aug 28, 2006 9:49:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

Not exactly a wiki link, but I just wanted to mention something about images and the wiki.
Name your images GCPP-codename-whateverfilename.extension (replace the bolded italicized parts with the appropriate things and the extension of the image types accepted by the wiki include jpg, gif and png)

I goofed this morning when I uploaded seven images for my Tench proposal. I named them GCCP-Tench-x.PNG instead of GCPP-Tench-x.PNG. I did however include the proper tag. Should I just leave them as-is, ask an admin to rename them, or upload again to the right names and hope that some admin deletes the first version?
LordKalvan of Otherwhen, all oceans but mostly Midnight
[Aug 29, 2006 6:10:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lorkiria

I goofed this morning when I uploaded seven images for my Tench proposal. I named them GCCP-Tench-x.PNG instead of GCPP-Tench-x.PNG. I did however include the proper tag. Should I just leave them as-is, ask an admin to rename them, or upload again to the right names and hope that some admin deletes the first version?

Ah yes, that's the other thing I forgot to mention! It's impossible for us to rename uploaded files, so the procedure is to reupload under the corrected name and mark the old ones for deletion.

- Guppy
"There is no salvation in becoming adapted to a world which is crazy." - Henry Miller
[Aug 29, 2006 7:01:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cloverwood

Ah yes, that's the other thing I forgot to mention! It's impossible for us to rename uploaded files, so the procedure is to reupload under the corrected name and mark the old ones for deletion.
- Guppy

To mark a file to be considered for deletion:
1) Go to the image's YPPedia page (click on the image and it will take you there)
2) Click on the 'Edit' tab of said page.
3) Add the tag {{delete}} to the text field

Note: It should go with out saying that you should only do this on your own files
TheRunt (Cerulean)
[Sep 2, 2006 12:58:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
actreal

The Sign-Up link in Oceanus's post is incorrect and should be:

http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/GCPP:Grand_Crafting_Puzzle_Project/Sign-Up
Donall of Hunter

[Jul 5, 2007 9:55:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates