• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 83
Posts: 83   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 15327 times and has 82 replies Next Thread
Apollo
OceanMaster

August familiar tournaments and auctions Reply to this Post

August Familiar Tournaments

I know you've got all those tan familiar tournaments going on, but I had a moment of whimsy, and I fancied hosting some other-colored tournaments this month.

I'd hate to make it too easy for you, though, so here's what I'm planning. On Sunday 20th August, I will set up 20 tournaments, to start at approximately 7am PDT. These will be one each of swordfighting, drinking, treasure drop and rumble on each of Midnight, Cobalt, Viridian, Sage and Hunter. I will be setting these up manually, so the times might vary by a few minutes, but each will have at least 15 minutes entry time. The settings for the tournaments will vary across the oceans, and will not be pre-announced.

The winner of each tournament will receive an animal - but it might not be a familiar. There will be one familiar to be won on each ocean. The other three prizes could be sleeping animals, or could be pets. They'll be wrapped, so you won't know which is which until they're unwrapped!

Note that I am assigning prizes to tournaments randomly within an ocean, so if this format is ever repeated in the future, we make absolutely no guarantee of either parity or continuity - the familiars could be in the same tournaments or in different ones.

Familiar Ship Auctions

They wouldn't let me do a yellow musketeer's hat auction! Can you believe it? Never mind. Please read these rules carefully to understand how you may take part in the familiar auctions this month.

Rules

This is a blind bid ship auction, a mixture of the previous ship auctions, and last month's blind auctions.

Bids will be made by PM to Apollo (see Bidding Instructions below).

The deadline for bids is 12noon PDT on Sunday 20th August.

You are not bidding in poe, but in ship points, where ships attract the following points:
Ship points:

Sloop - 1
Cutter - 2
Merchant Brig - 4
War Brig - 5
Merchant Galleon - 7
War Frigate - 8
Grand Frigate - 10

You may use any combination of ships that you wish.

You may bid more than once, as long as each subsequent bid increases your previous bid, and as long as you are not spamming my PM inbox (that would just get you disqualified)!

On every ocean, there is a minimum bid of 50 ship points.

Bids are binding. Do not bid if you are not willing or able to provide the deeds to the ships bid. Bid only when you are confident that you will be able to provide deeds within 24 hours.

If you wish to bid on multiple oceans, please submit separate PMs for each bid.

Bidding instructions

* Bid by PM to Apollo
* PM subject line *must* be in the form Ocean / Piratename / Bid (where "bid" is the number of ship points you are bidding). For example: Viridian / Apollo / 153
* The body of the PM should include:
- pirate name
- ocean
- name of alt who will hold all ship deeds being bid if you win
- a breakdown of how many ships of each type are counting towards your ship points total
- your choice of familiar and color(s) - as usual, no solid white or black is allowed.
* As with last month's blind auction, any PMs where the subject does not exactly meet the format described will be deleted without reply. Likewise PMs where the body of the message does not contain enough information.

The winner
The winning bidder on each ocean will be notified by PM as soon as possible after the auction deadline, and will have just 24 hours to reply confirming that the deeds are on the named alt. I will then log that alt on, count and transfer the ship deeds and trade the requested familiar to that account.

If the winner does not reply within the given 24 hours, or is unable to pay the full bid amount, the second-place bidder will then be contacted, and again will be given 24 hours to reply.

Any other questions about the auction format should be posted to this thread.
[Aug 14, 2006 3:51:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

Re: August familiar tournaments and auctions Reply to this Post

Apollo the magnificent wrote: 
On Sunday 20th August, I will set up 20 tournaments, to start at approximately 7am PDT. These will be one each of swordfighting, drinking, treasure drop and rumble on each of Midnight, Cobalt, Viridian, Sage and Hunter. I will be setting these up manually, so the times might vary by a few minutes, but each will have at least 15 minutes entry time. The settings for the tournaments will vary across the oceans, and will not be pre-announced.

The winner of each tournament will receive an animal - but it might not be a familiar. There will be one familiar to be won on each ocean. The other three prizes could be sleeping animals, or could be pets. They'll be wrapped, so you won't know which is which until they're unwrapped!

Note that I am assigning prizes to tournaments randomly within an ocean, so if this format is ever repeated in the future, we make absolutely no guarantee of either parity or continuity - the familiars could be in the same tournaments or in different ones.

So, to get this perfectly straight, let's take just Cobalt for example:
There will be 4 tournaments total. SFing could have a Tiger, Drinking is a sleeping pig, TD is a sleeping turtle, and Rumble the familiar? So basically if you're great at anything but rumble, you get a 100k prize, but the top rumbler will get a 2 million prize. Hmm. Interesting.

Edit: for an alternative, if I may. 2 tournaments of each type (so a total of 8 tournaments per ocean). 1 of each type has a familiar, while the other has one of the items originally mentioned. You guys wanted to get more familiars into the oceans, why limit it to only 1 now? Seems a tad unfair.
----------------------------------------
Epimetheus
Retired

[Edit 2 times, last edit by rixation at Aug 14, 2006 4:17:46 PM]
[Aug 14, 2006 4:11:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
weejonnyb

Yay for shippies
Zyxt-sux.
[Aug 14, 2006 4:12:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CountCristo

I've tried wrapping a pet and it won't allow them to be wrapped for me, and no it wasn't a rat. Is this something you overlooked or is this yet another one of those things Apollo magically makes happen?
Cristo-Viridian and occasionally the rest.
[Aug 14, 2006 8:42:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kaet

I've tried wrapping a pet and it won't allow them to be wrapped for me, and no it wasn't a rat. Is this something you overlooked or is this yet another one of those things Apollo magically makes happen?

From the Ice changelog:

Bugfix: Fixed problem with some pets claiming they were too old to wrap.

Maybe that was the problem?
[Aug 14, 2006 9:21:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shikyo

Edit: for an alternative, if I may. 2 tournaments of each type (so a total of 8 tournaments per ocean). 1 of each type has a familiar, while the other has one of the items originally mentioned. You guys wanted to get more familiars into the oceans, why limit it to only 1 now? Seems a tad unfair.

I got the impression from Apollo's post, though I might be wrong, that they're not cancelling the tan familiar tournaments. Rather, this is just throwing up a random colored familiar (as well as other wildlife) in addition to the sixteen tan familiars expected this month.
Cassis, Sage
Evil Mastermind

A quick wit's best accompanied by quick reflexes.
Save Scrappeh!
[Aug 14, 2006 9:45:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

...So many things to say. Can we please just have one thread that involves familiars without anyone crying?

Anyway, I think making the prizes random and unknown is cool. Because it's not been done before, and it adds an element of surprise to the tourney.

CountCristo wrote: 

I wrapped a pet on the 13th of August. A tiger. And put it in the 2k box. Was it an elephant? Cause those are really big, maybe you need to wrap them in an Estate? ;-)
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 
We can't rely on majestrate he yells at people

Avatar by the gracious and wonderful Phaerie <3
[Edit 1 times, last edit by majestrate at Aug 14, 2006 9:58:49 PM]
[Aug 14, 2006 9:55:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

There was an early bug with some pets (only ever some) appearing to be old. It's been resolved and I don't anticipate any problems wrapping pets.

Yes, only one tournament per ocean will get a familiar - it's random. If you're not willing to take the risk of winning something different instead, then don't take part! These are a fun extra - they don't replace the regular tan familiar tournaments.
[Aug 15, 2006 12:44:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Sea_Blades

Apoollooo..Yu bugger++.
August --> Holidays out of city.

/e screams for Bia's return
Seablades
~Hunter
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sea_Blades at Aug 15, 2006 2:36:46 AM]
[Aug 15, 2006 2:36:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
StillMyst

Yay for whimsy!! <3 Apollo (even though I sold yer doll. I'm sowwy! Poor Johnny needed new shoes for christmas!)
Mogget / Midnight
Take my PoE, take my land
Take my brigs and frigates grand
I don't care, I'm still free
You can't take the sea from me...

[Aug 15, 2006 3:15:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

Yey Apollo!

What Pip tried to do was something totally unprecedent. He, in some strange way, used Midnight as a test server, without him even knowing. [Crap, it sucks I was not online when he did that :'(... pfft, anyways]

Like a bad penny.
[Aug 15, 2006 3:52:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
Aethera21

WOOT! this sounds like a great idea! /me hopes all the good rumblers on Cobalt opt to sf or drink instead :)
Aethera of Cobalt Cerulean
Princess of Maniacal Menagerie
Blockade staff on any ocean
[Aug 15, 2006 6:18:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
moon_howl

hmmm.../me prays for a brown monkey from sf on viridian and to get awesome new skills that day and win :3

Thanks apollo :)
Princess of the flag Latin Revolution
Visit Pandaxee's Art Shop and order an avatar! *I will accept money on all oceans*
http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=720520#720520
[Edit 2 times, last edit by moon_howl at Aug 15, 2006 11:30:38 AM]
[Aug 15, 2006 11:29:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Sunny_Priestess    amkids642 [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

Yay for whimsy!! <3 Apollo (even though I sold yer doll. I'm sowwy! Poor Johnny needed new shoes for christmas!)

I would never ever sell an Apollo doll!
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Aug 15, 2006 11:33:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

See?! Synful is Good! Synful is Righteous!

*coughs*

Right, these auctions.
Could I mention that I'm getting (already) a little tired of people sending me new bids every time they find a single extra ship. You've got a few days left, mate. Save those new shippies up and send in a new bid later in the week, would ye? Thanks.
[Aug 15, 2006 11:38:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

I love this idea!

If I understand this correctly, all tournaments will be going up at approximately the same time right? This will certainly spread out the competition field a bit rather than having 3-400 people competing in one tourney. :)

And even if you don't get the familiar, you get some other cool prize!
Jolyma

[Aug 15, 2006 2:11:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tennveil

Acccck.... I gotta wake up at 7 am for this? :P No one better be at home to witness my patheticness and actually wake up at 7am to do this. So early, I'm probably too disoriented to play anyway XD
[Aug 15, 2006 4:22:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cohog13

Epimetheus wrote: 
Apollo the magnificent wrote: 
On Sunday 20th August, I will set up 20 tournaments, to start at approximately 7am PDT. These will be one each of swordfighting, drinking, treasure drop and rumble on each of Midnight, Cobalt, Viridian, Sage and Hunter. I will be setting these up manually, so the times might vary by a few minutes, but each will have at least 15 minutes entry time. The settings for the tournaments will vary across the oceans, and will not be pre-announced.

There will be 4 tournaments total. SFing could have a Tiger, Drinking is a sleeping pig, TD is a sleeping turtle, and Rumble the familiar? So basically if you're great at anything but rumble, you get a 100k prize, but the top rumbler will get a 2 million prize. Hmm. Interesting.

Hell, I agree with him. There used to be one tourny per month, with each having a familiar as a prize. 000 wanted more familiars on the oceans, so they implemented the tan familiars. Does that mean that since those are out, we will have more TAN familiar tournaments (yes) and LESS colored familiar tournaments (it appears so)? Seems kinda "eh" to me.

Cohog,
Who has a better chance of getting pregnant then winning on of em. :-)

Edit:
[Bia in another thread, wrote: 
This will not affect any other familiar events, which we will continue to run as often as we are able to do so.

Cohog
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Cohog13 at Aug 16, 2006 5:33:30 AM]
[Aug 16, 2006 5:20:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Cohog13 [Link]  Go to top 
Kweeenbeee81

Cohog wrote: 
Epimetheus wrote: 

Hell, I agree with him. There used to be one tourny per month, with each having a familiar as a prize. 000 wanted more familiars on the oceans, so they implemented the tan familiars. Does that mean that since those are out, we will have more TAN familiar tournaments (yes) and LESS colored familiar tournaments (it appears so)? Seems kinda "eh" to me.

Well, after speaking with quite a few people about this, I'm still of the opinion that it just doesn't feel right. Yes, we have tan familiars now; is that a great thing? Absolutely, love it, and I've won two so I can't complain. I'm with Epimetheus, if you (the OMs) stated less than 6 months ago that there were too few familiars, why are you not taking this opportunity to add more? Just doesn't seem logical.

Plus it seems the only way to acquire a colored familiar now is through the increased duty puzzle, crafting puzzle, and forum-based competitions. So basically, if you suck at everything but Drinking (for example), you're pretty much screwed. I for one can't write extremely original stories, I have no artistic talent, and the crafting puzzles don't really appeal to me that much. So it looks like my only hope for a colored familiar is "luck of the draw" in this type of "whimsy" tournament.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Kweeenbeee81 at Aug 16, 2006 5:39:48 AM]
[Aug 16, 2006 5:39:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

As you point out, we have made an effort to host more familiar events involving duty puzzles and crafting puzzles, as opportunities to win familiars in those puzzles were rare (or non-existent) until recently. Even so, there are still far more familiar events for the carousing puzzles than any other.
Cohog wrote: 
Edit:
Bia in another thread, wrote: 
wrote:
This will not affect any other familiar events, which we will continue to run as often as we are able to do so.

I'm not sure what the quote is there for, but I'd stand by the sentiment expressed. We have continued to support and host a range of other familiar events since the introduction of tan familiar events for carousing puzzles, and I haven't seen any negative effect.

In the carousing puzzles, you are likely to see the regular tan familiar tournaments, and just an occasional colored familiar tournament. The colored familiar tournaments could be completely standard, or could be more complex. Either way, they're extra to the tan familiar tournaments.

Enjoy the bonus! My hope with these tournaments is that you actually log in to your favorite ocean, you choose your favorite puzzle, and you take part in the tournament. It's free entry, and even if you don't win a familiar, the prizes ought to make participation worthwhile for most pirates. :)
[Aug 16, 2006 6:24:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
juventus1

What are the settings?
Desmagicus

"Be the change you want to see in the world."
-Mahatmas Gandhi
[Aug 16, 2006 6:31:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nalanthi

Desmagicus wrote: 
What are the settings?

Apollo in the first post wrote: 
The settings for the tournaments will vary across the oceans, and will not be pre-announced.

Nalanthi - A Blatant PvPer, War Monger and Officer of the Falcon's Fury.
-Midnight (Retired)
Tamman - Head of a Merchant Empire, and Strategist of Black Plague
-Viridian (Retired)
Nalanthi - Mercenary and scalawag.
-Malachite
[Aug 16, 2006 6:42:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MasterBling

Nice event!
I hope those pets are expencieve, rather than just rats
--- Enrico
[Aug 16, 2006 2:04:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Nice event!
I hope those pets are expencieve, rather than just rats
*giggles* What's wrong with rats, eh?
Oh ok, then. Maybe something more expensive than that.

Edit: Cat? No?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Apollo at Aug 16, 2006 2:46:15 PM]
[Aug 16, 2006 2:45:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

Rats are priceless.

Rats are like a CCG that puts one ultra rare in each starter deck, and NONE in any of the expansion packs. No matter how much you buff your deck with expansions, you can only get these non tradable rats by getting a fresh account.

Being able to take two rats with you would be ... "k001" :-)

TMBTC
mixing a meta four or three in there somewhere.
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Aug 16, 2006 3:12:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

Apollo wrote: 
Bia in another thread, wrote: 
wrote:

I'm not sure what the quote is there for, but I'd stand by the sentiment expressed. We have continued to support and host a range of other familiar events since the introduction of tan familiar events for carousing puzzles, and I haven't seen any negative effect.

In the carousing puzzles, you are likely to see the regular tan familiar tournaments, and just an occasional colored familiar tournament. The colored familiar tournaments could be completely standard, or could be more complex. Either way, they're extra to the tan familiar tournaments.

But this is the problem.

Tan familiars were supposed to be in addition to colored ones.
Now we have fewer colored carousing familiars, and the official line seems to have changed from "Lots of tan carousing, with the monthly colored carousing still continuing" to "Lots of tan carousing, with occasional colored carousing".

To me, it looks like more change in policy.

Now, I like the idea of "all the tourneys going on at once". It reduces the ability of people to enter multiple tourneys sequentially.

And, I like the idea of mystery presents. Heck, even better would be some sort of "official seal" on those boxes, that only OM's can apply, such that you might see offers of "Hey, this box has a 1-in-4 chance of containing a familiar. I'll sell it for 1 million. Anyone want to say "booty"?".

And, I like your statement that familiars might be more complex than standard colored familiars. I'm curious as to what else you can do with familiars besides recolor them -- was artwork for a new wearable pet included in a recent release without anyone noticing? (Or is it a simple case of "The wearable version was ready, but we're still working on the portrait versions, don't hand them out just yet"?)

And I'm still looking for the "second best" (Ebay/dutch auction) style auction.

Or ... how about a decaying auction big. Minimum bid starts at 4 million, and goes down so much per day. Will you bid now, or wait another day ...
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Aug 16, 2006 3:44:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
yohoes

Or ... how about a decaying auction big. Minimum bid starts at 4 million, and goes down so much per day. Will you bid now, or wait another day ...

Great idea!!! Gold star for you!
Urgghh

Demonyaj says

You know, it's not the size that matters, it's what you do with it...

[Aug 16, 2006 5:04:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnBone

Does the tournament actually start at 7 in the am., or about 15 minutes from 7am? Thanks.
--Luckyparrot
[Aug 16, 2006 7:23:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.yahoo.com/    potsm_master@yahoo.com    mrbluemk1@aol.com    Zomg! i haxxed [Link]  Go to top 
123pringle

I am away for at least 24 hours after the bidding ends, therefore if I win and cannot reply to the PM within the 24 hour period that I will lose it?
Tiga - Making a come back
-----------------
Flamer wrote: 
Kudos to Tiga for making the eternal thread.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by 123pringle at Aug 16, 2006 9:40:40 PM]
[Aug 16, 2006 8:51:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pomfret

*giggles* What's wrong with rats, eh?

I don't mind getting a second rat. Not many pirates would have 2 rats.
Pomfret of Midnight Cerulean and Most Oceans
Except when I am Scroogie or somebody else

Stupid merger made me change my signature...
[Aug 16, 2006 11:51:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 83   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates